Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Well, that’s some pretty suspicious timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

psydude posted:

WTF did Russia have to gain by destroying those pipelines? It completely destroyed their leverage against Germany.

i posted about it last year

pmchem posted:

Russia.

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1574754484991016965

let’s pull on this thread a bit more. Say you’re Putin and concerned you might lose power in a coup. What would you do today so that your perceived enemies, internal or foreign, would feel not easily reversed pain after you were gone?

crippling pipelines seems like an easy start. What is next?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Murgos posted:

Well, that’s some pretty suspicious timing.

Almost as if they withheld the evidence until the time to release it would be the most effective!

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

T72 and T90 engine is an evolution of ye olde V2 from the BT7 and T34.

Is there a source for this?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

psydude posted:

WTF did Russia have to gain by destroying those pipelines? It completely destroyed their leverage against Germany.

NS2 had been dead before the 2022 invasion, NS1 had not been transporting gas (and was not going to again) before the explosions, either. They no longer represented leverage.

Demonstrating that infrastructure in the baltics was vulnerable, that was all NS1/2 were still good for. There were other sabotage acts on German infrastructure during that time as well.

I don't think it was a coincidence that one pipe of NS2 was left intact, either.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

NS2 had been dead before the 2022 invasion, NS1 had not been transporting gas (and was not going to again) before the explosions, either. They no longer represented leverage.

Demonstrating that infrastructure in the baltics was vulnerable, that was all NS1/2 were still good for. There were other sabotage acts on German infrastructure during that time as well.

I don't think it was a coincidence that one pipe of NS2 was left intact, either.

that’s not even remotely true and you can get the historical daily physical flow data here

https://www.nord-stream.info

edit: if I re-read and interpret your post as not transmitting gas in immediate days before, yes. but for like the entire rest of the year, no.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 27, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

http://fofanov.armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/EQP/v_diesels.html

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

psydude posted:

In Russian mind, "now the EU needs to come to the negotiations table and abandon Ukraine or they will freeze to death, and they need to divert resources to fix the lines".
In everyone else's mind, "now that the gas pipelines are dead we no longer need to negotiate with Russia and can openly support Ukraine".

Also, it is not completely insane proposal that this was done as an escalation to force EU to choose sides. At this point of the conflict it still seemed possible that Germany and France might decide to sit this one out, and force the rest of the EU to do the same "because we need to focus on getting these lines back online and work with Russia". Similarly, it could have also been done by Putin's inner circle to demonstrate internal politics that backing off and going back to being a mob-ran gas station is no longer an option so stop talking about it.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 27, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

pmchem posted:

edit: if I re-read and interpret your post as not transmitting gas in immediate days before, yes. but for like the entire rest of the year, no.

You mean "if I re-read the post as it was written".

NS1 was down for """maintenance""" on extremely flimsy grounds that Russia was called out on. "Oh, we would love to transmit gas, but the turbines are broken, no we don't need the repaired spare turbines, but if you would just open NS2…".

Russia's manoeuvring didn't work, and from that point on leverage was lost.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

its pretty well known. it is very different from the ww2 v2 engine of course.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
The leadup to the pipelines blowing up was the height of the Russian messaging about how Europe was going to freeze over the winter and European will to aid Ukraine would dry up in the face of high energy prices and people living in 5 degree apartments and so on.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

ishikabibble posted:

It was that, yeah. He added a note in the description on the T-14 saying it was a 'mis-translation on his part'.

I haven't watched the 'takedown' response of Lazerpig's T-14 video, but a brief skim of the comments had me seeing a lot of people really angrily fixating on that and tbqh that really makes me think they were missing the point. Tank nerds being tank nerds and focusing on minutia, missing the forest for the trees, etc.

Like basically all of what Lazerpig bases his arguments on in all of his videos is 'context'. He's applying the framework of intersectionality towards discussing military equipment - you can't base your opinion of something on 'hard data' or 'the facts' when it's so incredibly easy to misrepresent or outright lie with still perfectly accurate data, and 'the facts' need to be taken with a country sized grain of salt because everything you're told is literally serving double duty as both propaganda and literal sales marketing.

So while it's not a great showing he got stuff like that wrong, it doesn't really take away all that much from his argument IMO.

They didn't, for the most part :v:

AFAIK nobody ever took them serious in any acquisition program capacity and their entire reputation is purely a civilian one, where their whole PR game and eagerness to go out and give big TV interviews where they talk as an 'authority' meant they could spew all the bullshit they want and be completely unchecked.

That is what I meant. Looking back on the post, I did that thing where I'd written the sentence a few different times then edited it so that parts of the older sentence were still there and made a word salad. I Didn't see that Pig corrected himself. I had an idea that it was the problem since it came up at one of my previous jobs a few times, and I think I remember reading that it was a point of contention in a few of Germany's joint design projects. I don't think that goofing up some figures like that ruin arguments, but I also feel the need to not have disinformation going around. I had to encounter a lot of it when I was working on military contracts. Like I said, he had good points like Russia's procurement and manufacturing woes as well as even the tech and design for the T-14 being bad.

Reformists tend to not have influence in terms of having real connections, but a lot of their bullshit ends up as "common knowledge" and gets repeated by everyone from laymen to journalists, politicians, and other public figures. What's funny is that when I did have to fight off such arguments about AFVs when I worked on them, the conclusion from the people spouting them to me was that it was evidence that we needed more expensive and technologically overdesigned projects instead of the simpler designs that Reformists push for.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Pigs point in that T14 video isn’t that the V2 was bad in general it’s that it is bad for a tank in 2023 especially as compared to western engines that produce more power in less area with similar or better reliability and maintainability.

And that the Porsche Tiger engine was even worse.

And that designing the Armata around that engine and tightly coupling to it was particularly egregious.

The actual power output numbers are irrelevant.

Edit: said another way, if the Armata had been designed with the same engine but so that it could be relatively easily replaced with something else then it already would be a much better tank than actually it is.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 27, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

They didn't, for the most part :v:

AFAIK nobody ever took them serious in any acquisition program capacity and their entire reputation is purely a civilian one, where their whole PR game and eagerness to go out and give big TV interviews where they talk as an 'authority' meant they could spew all the bullshit they want and be completely unchecked.

It sure doesn't seem that way when they actually are given the time of day at all. Like I get their reputation in the civilian aspects, but it just seems so weird that they were able to actually get the Pentagon to listen to a literal Nazi talk about planes at all, even if it was just a one-off teleconference call.

EDIT: *looks at avatar* Lmao, I sure made Demon Of The Fall mad.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Kchama posted:

It sure doesn't seem that way when they actually are given the time of day at all. Like I get their reputation in the civilian aspects, but it just seems so weird that they were able to actually get the Pentagon to listen to a literal Nazi talk about planes at all, even if it was just a one-off teleconference call.

EDIT: *looks at avatar* Lmao, I sure made Demon Of The Fall mad.

It's not that crazy or big of a deal. Nazis were advising every aspect of the US military at the time. Hans Rudel was an incredibly accomplished pilot in CAS infancy. Ignoring his lies and stories, he was still very experienced in a field where few survive long enough to develop an expertise.

Rudel was ardent Nazi, and his ideas were fantastic for the last war. He wanted what amounted to a modern Stuka with a suite of autocannons, but was completely disregarding much of the tech development that happened on the Allied side during the war, and what came after. The 'Reformers' were Wheraboos in US utilitiy uniforms.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

The 'Reformers' were Wheraboos in US utilitiy uniforms.

This tracks with Adam Tooze's Wages of Destruction. Defense procurement reform was a major Nazi propaganda platform.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MRC48B posted:

This tracks with Adam Tooze's Wages of Destruction. Defense procurement reform was a major Nazi propaganda platform.

And surprise surprise, they were extremely bad at it outside of propaganda. :lol: Bomber B

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 28, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Learning about the "fighter pilot mafia" and "Reformer" poo poo really makes me wonder how much foreign powers were pushing all the controversy around the F22/F35 behind the scenes. That's not to say the planes and the processes around them didn't have genuine problems, but I guess I'm just more conscious these days of how easy it is for an embellishment or outright lie to become a broadly accepted "fact" because it feeds narratives that the left is already primed for. Folks rightly skeptical of the American military industrial complex probably make easy targets for disinformation campaigns on subjects they lack expertise or trusted, truly reliable sources on.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Can we add the gravelbellies to that list? They killed more Americans than the rest combined.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

CommieGIR posted:

Russia, famous for being a rational actor lately...

Well put another way, Russia's leadership has almost certainly existed in a bubble for some time in which the information provided to it is carefully curated to avoid upset rather than for its factual content and so its decisions are not going to make a whole lot of sense to outsiders because those decisions are pretty much based in an alternate reality.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cugel the Clever posted:

Learning about the "fighter pilot mafia" and "Reformer" poo poo really makes me wonder how much foreign powers were pushing all the controversy around the F22/F35 behind the scenes. That's not to say the planes and the processes around them didn't have genuine problems, but I guess I'm just more conscious these days of how easy it is for an embellishment or outright lie to become a broadly accepted "fact" because it feeds narratives that the left is already primed for. Folks rightly skeptical of the American military industrial complex probably make easy targets for disinformation campaigns on subjects they lack expertise or trusted, truly reliable sources on.

Pierre Spray loved himself some Russia Today appearances. Whether it was because he just loved being on camera or there were other reasons, I dunno.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Pierre Spray loved himself some Russia Today appearances. Whether it was because he just loved being on camera or there were other reasons, I dunno.

Also a huge pusher on the absolute supremacy of the A10 as an invincible CAS platform. Wonder if he got that from Russia or if it was a mix of his own stupidity and Russia.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Murgos posted:

Pigs point in that T14 video isn’t that the V2 was bad in general it’s that it is bad for a tank in 2023 especially as compared to western engines that produce more power in less area with similar or better reliability and maintainability.

And that designing the Armata around that engine and tightly coupling to it was particularly egregious.

Edit: said another way, if the Armata had been designed with the same engine but so that it could be relatively easily replaced with something else then it already would be a much better tank than actually it is.

A lot of the T14 issues stems from using a new engine DIFFERENT from a v-2 derivative, the 12Н360, which is closer to the concept of a modern European tank power pack. If it was another V-2 derivative they wouldn't poo poo themselves on parades.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm sure the ego stroking was more than enough reason.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SlowBloke posted:

A lot of the T14 issues stems from using a new engine DIFFERENT from a v-2 derivative, the 12Н360, which is closer to the concept of a modern European tank power pack. If it was another V-2 derivative they wouldn't poo poo themselves on parades.

As that other YouTube dude showed that was likely some driver error or electrical malfunction that engaged the breaks, as it couldn't be towed and later drove off by itself.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It basically mostly has the same shape and rough dimensions, the engine is good at what it does but probably has little room for improvement left. So if you design a new tank without the old size constraints of the older hulls you might as well use a new engine. Only time will tell if it is actually reliable in practice but how to design reliable combustion engines is an extremely mature field so Russian engineers can probably make it so.

Murgos posted:

The engine is not the Porsche engine in the Tiger, the main similarity appears to be the x cylinder shape, which was first used as a tank engine in the Tiger.

I mean, judging how this war has gone so far an armata will probably get stuck in a ukranian mud lake and burns up from the heat of swiveling it's turret in a panic, but it is completely untested so far and most info about it is just rumors and really stupid promo videos.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Zudgemud posted:

The engine is not the Porsche engine in the Tiger, the main similarity appears to be the x cylinder shape, which was first used as a tank engine in the Tiger.

And yet, the point that the design of the tank is so tightly coupled to that specific engine that with 8 years of development they still don’t seem to have corrected the problem that it’s too hot and seems prone to breakdowns still stands.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Murgos posted:

And yet, the point that the design of the tank is so tightly coupled to that specific engine that with 8 years of development they still don’t seem to have corrected the problem that it’s too hot and seems prone to breakdowns still stands.
Too hot while running in Russia, I'd love to see that contraption running in Syria for maximum laffs. Perhaps it'd turret-toss itself?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

This is why battletech makes you install enough heat sinks to be heat neutral in your vehicles

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1652155232896286720

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1652165036134080515

Ukraine apparently hit an oil refinery in Sevastopol with a UAV this morning, current reporting is that the blaze has consumed almost a square kilometer and is still going strong, the pictures look proper apocalyptic.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Are we sure that's not just the Admiral Kuznetsov coming into dock?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

PurpleXVI posted:

Ukraine apparently hit an oil refinery in Sevastopol with a UAV this morning, current reporting is that the blaze has consumed almost a square kilometer and is still going strong, the pictures look proper apocalyptic.

alhamdulillah

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ubik_Lives posted:

If it's black smoke that means they haven't selected a new CO yet

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

GD_American posted:

If it's black smoke that means they haven't selected a new CO yet

:golfclap:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Ubik_Lives posted:

To come in to dock it first needs to be capable of leaving dock.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Murgos posted:

The whole point of the Tiger's Maybach was that it was comparatively small vs others at the time. Has Russia painted themselves into a corner where they can't get enough HP into that space with a more conventional design?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Karma drone strikes again!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

PurpleXVI posted:

On a scale of 0-10 Ohio train derailments, how bad is this for the people there?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I don't think this is the thread to be worrying about the health of russians living in houses stolen from Ukrainians.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What if Ukrainians can't get the smell of them out of the buildings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's very irresponsible for Russia to expose its people to such risks. They should immediately withdraw their forces and request a negotiated peace from Ukraine.