Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
That's kinda where I figured I'd shake out, too. Just trying to get my arms around the level of work to use the single DIN device versus the much more likely plug and play PCCM+

At this point I need to just get the car here, take it apart, and understand wtf is going on with the audio system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

First generation Cayennes are now considered classics according to Porsche.
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Good I guess because the parts catalogue is now owned by the classics department?

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023/scene-passion/porsche-cayenne-patagonia-chile-argentina-curves-bogner-31946.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

First generation Cayennes are now considered classics according to Porsche.
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Good I guess because the parts catalogue is now owned by the classics department?

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2023/scene-passion/porsche-cayenne-patagonia-chile-argentina-curves-bogner-31946.html

It probably means they're moving all non-maintenance stock back to germany. I've been through this with other models. It's decidedly not a good thing. But it's not a show stopper. Especially for something they made so many of. Plenty of scrap to be found and use. DC Automotive got us all covered.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah most of the "classic" "heritage" or whatever OEM parts departments are focused on maintaining some stock somewhere and the ability to track and look it up, and to get ahold of poo poo like diagnostics and service manuals. They're not concerned with timeliness or price, but having some kind of support on an ongoing basis is usually better than the alternative (no support at all, go gently caress yourself lol)

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Re: radio chat: any thoughts here? https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068GRANM4/RetroSound-Grand-Prix-M4HD.html?tp=5684

Seems like it offers the most options and stays in a single DIN.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'd personally buy this over that:

https://www.amazon.com/VDO-Continen...32-63e904010ad0

This is used by many in the 996 community. Orange back-light, Bluetooth, even a USB port for thumb drives.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Woot. The dang thing is here:

True to form, when I was looking in the frunk I broke one of the plastic clips that holds the carpet to the wall. Just 20 year old car things. Thankfully, the e91 has trained me well in old plastic.

Speaking of, looks like I'll need to replace the cupholder - that plastic is cracked and the mechanism doesn't retract and allow it to close without holding the cupholder portion in. So many projects!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice. Congrats!

What did you decide on the head unit?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elite Taco posted:

True to form, when I was looking in the frunk I broke one of the plastic clips that holds the carpet to the wall. Just 20 year old car things. Thankfully, the e91 has trained me well in old plastic.

Speaking of, looks like I'll need to replace the cupholder - that plastic is cracked and the mechanism doesn't retract and allow it to close without holding the cupholder portion in. So many projects!

All of this is true to form. Go drive the poo poo out of it and have fun. Then you can have fun tracking down parts and replacing inconsequential stuff.

(catch up on/keep up with maintenance schedules especially fluids)

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

slidebite posted:

Nice. Congrats!

What did you decide on the head unit?

To just get it and drive it. I have a wallet of CDs to use in the interim. I figure if I try to improve anything before I put 500-1,000 miles on it I'm missing the point. I listen to the engine > 75% of the time in the e91.

That said, I'm leaning PCCM later this year or I'll do the conti unit with a CD player.

For now, driving.

Motronic posted:

All of this is true to form. Go drive the poo poo out of it and have fun. Then you can have fun tracking down parts and replacing inconsequential stuff.

(catch up on/keep up with maintenance schedules especially fluids)

Thankfully it came with great records and has been well maintained. That said, I need coolant - what do I order? I'm used to only using the BMW stuff. I'll put together a list of maintenance questions after the sun goes down (and I'm done driving for the day). So far I've driven ~500ft from the truck to my driveway

The matchy matchy with the bimmer is pretty good - they are both filthy.

EDIT EDIT:

Filled the tank, set the clock, and went for a drive. I feel entirely validated in this purchase. I can't say anything that hasn't been said a bunch - the car is a driver and a cheerful one. I'm definitely going to be avoiding the freeway and taking surface streets as much as I can.

re: head units - driving around with the CD player I really enjoyed a physical pause/mute button and a physical track selection button. With the phone doing bluetooth sometimes you have to navigate back to audio and I'll say that physical buttons are much preferred in this case.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 28, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elite Taco posted:

That said, I need coolant - what do I order?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-engine-coolant-antifreeze-97143001001

I run factory coolants on eurocars. They're too finicky to play games with.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Glad you're happy with the purchase!

Elite Taco posted:

re: head units - driving around with the CD player I really enjoyed a physical pause/mute button and a physical track selection button. With the phone doing bluetooth sometimes you have to navigate back to audio and I'll say that physical buttons are much preferred in this case.
I like physical buttons too, but I miss the ability to use MP3s. The ability to use a USB thumbdrive with a few hundred MP3s would be kinda nice :3:

RE: Coolant,

I buy coolant specifically rated for Porsche, I think it's violet unicorn blood iirc. The jug says Porsche/Audi/Mercedes or something like that. I believe the stuff I used is made by Prestone.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Thank you, both!

I will hopefully log another 100 or so miles today. I'm starting a punch list of items that show their age, but the driving isn't one of them. One observation on the S over the 2.7 is that the 2.7s 5-speed allowed for a longer power build that was pretty satisfying. The S gets to power quickly and the gears are shorter. Just a different vibe.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Ended up getting that 987.2 Boxster I posted about earlier. And man it is nice. Base model but has all the power I need and handles like a dream.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Hell yeah

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Didn't know the base got white gauge faces, I thought that was the S models only.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bajaha posted:

Didn't know the base got white gauge faces, I thought that was the S models only.

It was an option apparently:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I was all excited for my 986 to arrive and post ITT, etc. but it turns out posting < driving and there isn't much to say!

If the car is working, drive it!
If it's not, bitch here + fix it!

I'm gonna cross 50k miles this week and will do an oil change some time next weekend. I plan to just go ahead and start sending off oil samples (and I'll add the BMW to the rota as well)

LN Engineering Oil Filter Adapter - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-oil-filter-adapter-ln-engineering-100237008
This seems like a great idea, but I'll lose the ability to cut my filter and read the bones. Seems fine if I'm sending off samples anyway?

On the oil change front, I've got a decent low profile jack, so I think I will be fine getting under the car between the jack + some 2x4x. I'd love a ramps suggestion/recommendation as well.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 3, 2023

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Buy an oil filter cutter if you''re worried about it, I have this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N156ODN and check every other filter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I too use the LN Adapter and it works fine. Agree with ^^ if you really want to crack it open every now and then you still can, it's not just as simple as the straight element obviously but certainly doable.

Regarding ramps, I'm not sure what your budget is but the quickjack 5000SLX is a perfect fit for the 996 so I am sure it would be great for the 986 too. I just leave them on the floor of the garage even when I'm not using them.

BUT that might be more than you're thinking of spending.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Didn't see the ramps question but what slidebite said is correct, the quickjacks are excellent and I highly recommend them. Much cheaper basic ramp alternative is the plastic rhino ramps you can get pretty much anywhere, I have these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0117EETEK that I bought on sale years ago.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm def going for the quickjack - but that may not happen till later in the summer. That said, I'm pretty sure it can handle both the 986 and the e91, which will be nice.

Thanks for the confirmation on the LN filter adapter & the other advice.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

I'm def going for the quickjack - but that may not happen till later in the summer. That said, I'm pretty sure it can handle both the 986 and the e91, which will be nice.

Thanks for the confirmation on the LN filter adapter & the other advice.

986 looks good, especially next to the E91!

Costco runs sales on the Quickjack as a bundle pretty often, either every promo cycle or every other. I was going to get one and do the monoballs, but I opted just to pay to have it done.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Took the 993 to get the oil/brake fluid done today. Last year I did it myself but the guy’s garage I used last year with a lift has his project car on it.

Guy seems awesome but holy poo poo I dropped my car off and he talked about air cooled Porsches for 45 minutes. I wonder if he bills for that.

How much space does a quick Jack take up? Is it something you can drive over/park over?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 4, 2023

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I usually store it where the wife parks, it'll catch under the 987 if I don't pull in just right. There's also wall hangers that seem fairly popular. When they're collapsed they're three inches tall.

Wall hangers $60 - https://www.quickjack.com/accessories/wall-hangers-set/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Well poo poo, I'm gonna have to order those.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Residency Evil posted:

Took the 993 to get the oil/brake fluid done today. Last year I did it myself but the guy’s garage I used last year with a lift has his project car on it.

Guy seems awesome but holy poo poo I dropped my car off and he talked about air cooled Porsches for 45 minutes. I wonder if he bills for that.

How much space does a quick Jack take up? Is it something you can drive over/park over?

Shove them towards the center, park over them no problem with the 996. I'd spitball ~3" tall? With the rubber blocks removed of course.

They're steel, so they are heavy and a little awkward. I just leave them on the garage floor and forget about them. If one fell off the wall for whatever reason it would gently caress up whatever it landed on for sure.

Their included hoses suck though, they're just hard plastic pieces of crap. I've been meaning to crimp up some decent ones at the office one of these days but :effort:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Alarbus posted:

986 looks good, especially next to the E91!

Costco runs sales on the Quickjack as a bundle pretty often, either every promo cycle or every other. I was going to get one and do the monoballs, but I opted just to pay to have it done.

Thanks! Both on the cars and the sale info.

Next :shobon: question - my frunk doesn't reliably open. My battery isn't low, I hear the electric release moving, but the latch isn't releasing. What part do I need to hit with a hammer or replace? I usually just wait about 20 minutes and it eventually opens but I'd like to resolve this particular issue.

I would HATE to have this happen when I need the spare tire or something like that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

slidebite posted:

Shove them towards the center, park over them no problem with the 996. I'd spitball ~3" tall? With the rubber blocks removed of course.

They're steel, so they are heavy and a little awkward. I just leave them on the garage floor and forget about them. If one fell off the wall for whatever reason it would gently caress up whatever it landed on for sure.

Their included hoses suck though, they're just hard plastic pieces of crap. I've been meaning to crimp up some decent ones at the office one of these days but :effort:

That’s super helpful, thanks. I’m an idiot and also realized I could just park them under my daily driver or wife’s car too if my 993 is too low.

But man is changing the oil on a 993 a pita.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
On the other hand... it's a 993 <3

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Elite Taco posted:

Thanks! Both on the cars and the sale info.

Next :shobon: question - my frunk doesn't reliably open. My battery isn't low, I hear the electric release moving, but the latch isn't releasing. What part do I need to hit with a hammer or replace? I usually just wait about 20 minutes and it eventually opens but I'd like to resolve this particular issue.

I would HATE to have this happen when I need the spare tire or something like that.
Mine is old school mechanical cable so I cannot really give specific advice, but if you have a motor/servo that's super slow the grease might be hardened up. You could try removing it and cleaning it out/lubing up or just buying a new one depending on the $$.

Residency Evil posted:

That’s super helpful, thanks. I’m an idiot and also realized I could just park them under my daily driver or wife’s car too if my 993 is too low.

But man is changing the oil on a 993 a pita.
The quick jack was a good purchase and makes oil and virtually all underside access super easy. I truthfully only use it a handful of times a year, but it is handy. If I ever built another house/garage I'd definitely go full lift with zero doubt(and truthfully I probably could here) but it's the next best thing. I wish the QJ went a few more inches in height to drop the motor if I wanted... BUT it might be high enough to drop the motor, remove the throttle body, maybe the intake/plenum from the engine and then pull it out. I never measured, but I suspect that's a possibility.

The only downside I've seen is that it's almost a little to short in length for our legacy. The wheelbase on it is long enough that the pads aren't exactly where I'd like them but its close enough and never had a problem.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm visiting friends in Las Vegas and one was thinking of buying a Boxster. We went to drive one for him and he literally didn't fit. He was a former college lineman and is just too big. I don't have that issue, and I enjoyed the test drive.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kensei posted:

I'm visiting friends in Las Vegas and one was thinking of buying a Boxster. We went to drive one for him and he literally didn't fit. He was a former college lineman and is just too big. I don't have that issue, and I enjoyed the test drive.

Yeah I don't fit in Boxsters either.

He'll fit great in a 911 though I bet. They're roomy.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hi I don't know jack poo poo about Porsches, but I'm curious: if money is no object, why would anyone buy a Cayman over a 911

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Technically, the current generation Cayman is a better "sports car" vs a 911.
Engine is closer to vehicle center, they are lighter, wheelbase is shorter, etc.

The 911 is now huge and while it makes a phenomenal do everything car, it achieved by giving up being a sports car.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Hi I don't know jack poo poo about Porsches, but I'm curious: if money is no object, why would anyone buy a Cayman over a 911

Because the engine is in the correct place. And the GTS version is naturally aspirated as god intended.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A Cayman is also half the price of a 911.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Do you want a sports car or a sporty grand touring car and do you need/want four seats? My brother and I did six hours, including a half hour of gravel, in the cayman yesterday and it was excellent.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Can we put our finger on what gen the 911 moved from "sports car" to "sporty GT?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Can we put our finger on what gen the 911 moved from "sports car" to "sporty GT?"

I feel like 991 is gonna be the most common answer to that but the case can be made way before that.