Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Philippe posted:

Same. It's weird how quickly you can learn to orient yourself in zero-g. I love that game, but I wish the name wasn't so teflon (and that there were maybe more than three songs on the soundtrack).

I love the 15 minute shift timer. It's perfect for a doing one with my morning coffee as I wake up and get in gear for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cazadores.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
To hell with stingy orange boys.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
At least their lore is mildly funny

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’m impressed that Dead Space’s voice director hired a sleep-talker to play Hammond but it’s puncturing the atmosphere a little

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In Wild Hearts, a monster hunter-like where you fight huge creatures born from nature, the final boss is a dark souls battle. Like, it's literally a large shadow man with a sword. Absolutely bizarre.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For all the spit and polish given to the Live a Live remake, I do wish the final chapter allowed you to avoid random encounters.

It's get exhausting as you hit the soft cap fairly easily, and you can run away from any fight with 100% success.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I dunno if anyone mentioned this yet. In Jedi Survivor there's a room called Chamber Of Duality where you meet an ancient droid. Once you solve the puzzle and rejoin the open world, find another meditation point. If you die and get sent back there, you cannot get out again. It's a huge game breaking bug. I have to replay the first five hours of the game to get back to where I was. It loving murdered my enthusiasm for it

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Ugh, that seems like a very big thing dragging the game down to me. I remember having to do that with two games in relatively quick succession back in the day, Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite. Had weirdness where I played them on launch day and something with the autosaves hadn't worked right. so when I finished my first session of them and came back to them the next day or later in the day, I then had to replay the opening few hours in Last of Us case but with Bioshock I had gotten right up to the part where you hop dimensions to get the weapons for Daisy. So like. pretty goddamn far into the game and yeah, that definitely kills the enthusiasm.

thebardyspoon has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Apr 30, 2023

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Decided to try Tunic and I've gotta say I am a big fan of bosses with mega-long health bars who have the ability to stun-lock you from full health to dead if you make a single mistake or the camera angle changes suddenly.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

When games talk up systems, but when you actually use them it's genuinely difficult to know if they even matter. (Especially when these systems get more opaque due to the game not showing values for things.)
Combo peeve: Vague wording instead of actual values, and games being terrified of actually giving players strong customization options.

Jedigame2:Survivor: He's kinda hot this time has a perk system that gets unlocked a few hours in, you get a couple slots that can be used on equippable passives. (With stronger ones taking up multiple slots.)
The game talks up how wow these strong abilities will change your playstyle! Oh neat, is this like specializations and poo poo? .. no.
The first ones you get are 'you can block a bit longer, I guess?' and 'you can do slightly more block damage'.

I quickly just socketed in the 'Use all your slots to get a bit more xp' perk, but even that I don't know if it even does any change worth mentioning.
It could be 10%, it could be 50%, I wouldn't be able to tell unless I killed some enemies, measured how many pixels of xp I got, swapped, then tried again.

Games please, just tell me I get 25% more block meter or whatever, gently caress off with this vague wording poo poo.
"Gain more experience from defeating enemies" is so painfully loving vague.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For all the spit and polish given to the Live a Live remake, I do wish the final chapter allowed you to avoid random encounters.

It's get exhausting as you hit the soft cap fairly easily, and you can run away from any fight with 100% success.

It annoyed me in the ancient china phase because I didn't realize that two of your pupils died and only the one you trained the most survives, so I was trying to train them all up fairly equally.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The boss in (Apothecary Chapter 3) Octopath Traveller against Miguel felt really unnecessarily hard, like he was a misplaced chapter 4 boss, as I had to go out of my way to far reaches of the map to get better armour that outclassed what I had, even though I was already overlevelled, just to survive as he did so much damage and took 2 turns at once. I hope the other chapter 3 bosses are better balanced.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

the_steve posted:

It annoyed me in the ancient china phase because I didn't realize that two of your pupils died and only the one you trained the most survives, so I was trying to train them all up fairly equally.

Don't feel bad, that's a classic trap the game wants you to fall into.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Bad Seafood posted:

Decided to try Tunic and I've gotta say I am a big fan of bosses with mega-long health bars who have the ability to stun-lock you from full health to dead if you make a single mistake or the camera angle changes suddenly.

I wish this game had a demo. I have heard people lavish praise on it and others tell me it's a waste of time. I'm really curious, but I don't want to spend money on a game I might quit and never pick up again.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

Don't feel bad, that's a classic trap the game wants you to fall into.

Yeah, most chapters are designed to be replayed more efficiently in some way and the twist with the students annoyed me far, far less than Worldbreaker’s Wrath, which is some real “my uncle at Nintendo told me…” type stuff.

bossy lady posted:

I wish this game had a demo. I have heard people lavish praise on it and others tell me it's a waste of time. I'm really curious, but I don't want to spend money on a game I might quit and never pick up again.

I’d wait for a sale regardless, but it’s worth noting that there’s accessibility options to just literally become invincible if you’re not having fun with the gameplay, which still leaves you with a cool puzzle/exploring game with the quaint gimmick of making inferences based on pieces of a half-translated instruction manual. I thought the combat was serviceable tbh, though there a part where you go to it’s Dark World equivalent I would have definitely stopped at without those invincibility options.

Last Celebration has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Apr 30, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Then make the combat trivial through settings. It's what I did for a particularly annoying enemy gauntlet because I wanted to spend more time on puzzles and less on fighting, and it made for a better time for me.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I finished the Dead Space Remake. On the whole it was a very good way to modernize and smooth out the original game. The one bad thing of the smoothing is that they brought the more developed setting ideas from later games into this one but they end up dropping it all at the very end with very direct and explicit dumps of "here is the exact motivation of every player in the story."

The original version being more confusing and vague with weird holes left a bigger impact.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Jedi Survivor does a better job than Fallen Order with the hidden collectibles, having hairstyles and clothing options this time around, which is pretty great. But they still have piles of lightsaber modification parts too, which just mostly bores me. I know it's neat for people who want to recreate their own one that they built at Disney, but every time I go somewhere out of the way to find a hidden item and it turns out to be a different style on/off switch, I just feel like :geno:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Jedi Survivor does a better job than Fallen Order with the hidden collectibles, having hairstyles and clothing options this time around, which is pretty great. But they still have piles of lightsaber modification parts too, which just mostly bores me. I know it's neat for people who want to recreate their own one that they built at Disney, but every time I go somewhere out of the way to find a hidden item and it turns out to be a different style on/off switch, I just feel like :geno:

Give me a lightsaber with a dimmer switch. Set my sabre to stun.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Give me a lightsaber with a dimmer switch. Set my sabre to stun.

For the longest time thats why i thought the Luke was using a dim white lightsaber in A New Hope training scenes. Because clearly you don't give a guy with no training something that can cut his arms off and then blindfold him.

Turns out it was supposed to be the normal green blade and was just a sfx error.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Captain Hygiene posted:

This was pretty much why I gave up on Fallen Order. I thought maybe the boxes were random, and I just for some reason kept getting a bad draw and getting nothing but lightsaber parts. Then I found out close to 100% of all chests are just cosmetic stuff. gently caress that.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

credburn posted:

This was pretty much why I gave up on Fallen Order. I thought maybe the boxes were random, and I just for some reason kept getting a bad draw and getting nothing but lightsaber parts. Then I found out close to 100% of all chests are just cosmetic stuff. gently caress that.
They sprinkle in a health upgrade every like 20 collectibles just to gently caress with you too.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I guess it doesn't drag the game down, but it's odd how customizable the lightsaber is considering you can hardly see it during gameplay.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

grittyreboot posted:

I guess it doesn't drag the game down, but it's odd how customizable the lightsaber is considering you can hardly see it during gameplay.

Yeah, that's my problem with it. Blade color's great, but there's basically nothing else on there that's gonna look different enough for me to care about except maybe the emitter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

At least let me customize it properly. Bass system, some spinners, dry-ice compartment...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Star Wars really could have been more creative with showing gaudy lightsaber attachments to represent the declining days of the Republic.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Pathfinder: Kingmaker

It's a good game. Right up my alley, I grew up with Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale, it's practically made for me. But it's such a drat slog. So many parts of this game have been piled in to adhere to the ~ rules ~ without any consideration for respecting the players time. I've honestly been playing this for a year, over a hundred hours and really I just want it to end.

The most egregious offense is that there's a quest to hunt monsters throughout the land. You have a magic key that tells you how many are left. There's 45. I've got one left. Is there a hint or where it is? No. Of course not. Does the map mark where you killed the other 45 monsters. No of course not. So the only way to do this is going to be painstakingly revisiting every area thus far.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone involved making this game actually played it. In principle it's designed to be played a few times to explore different story paths and character companions. But I know I will never play this again.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker

The last chapter is incredibly bad. I’d recommend dropping the difficulty to story for it.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

The last chapter is incredibly bad. I’d recommend dropping the difficulty to story for it.

Yes, I am finding this out now. It's atrocious.

Maybe its more fool me, but how was I supposed to know my main buffer / trap guy was going to be permakilled? And my backup (Nok Nok) was also permakilled. Oh and my healer (Tristian) permakilled. So what, the climax of the game is now me and some random mercenary mooks that I can magically buy at the entrance? Come on.

One the one hand, yes, choices and consequences. I must have failed somehow to do the right thing to get them to live? But at least let me take the team I have gone through the whole game with to the end.

Jesus wept

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

Yes, I am finding this out now. It's atrocious.

Maybe its more fool me, but how was I supposed to know my main buffer / trap guy was going to be permakilled? And my backup (Nok Nok) was also permakilled. Oh and my healer (Tristian) permakilled. So what, the climax of the game is now me and some random mercenary mooks that I can magically buy at the entrance? Come on.

One the one hand, yes, choices and consequences. I must have failed somehow to do the right thing to get them to live? But at least let me take the team I have gone through the whole game with to the end.

Jesus wept

If I remember right, you need to have completed their companion quests.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's part of why I've stopped playing Octopath Traveller, at least for now. The bosses sometimes get unnecessarily hard. Hated the third thief story boss, never beat him.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I enjoyed my time with Dredge, even enjoying the last islands kinda annoying gimmick.

But the ending was a bit of a flop.

After collecting all the relics the game made it very obvious I was going past a point of no return. I assumed that I was about to embark on an epic last cruise using all the tools and knowledge I’ve acquired to beat whatever the evil is.

Except no, you sail 2 minutes in a direction with no threats, interact with a spot in the water, and you receive your ending. The ending itself is cool but it just happens.

If you want to get the alternate ending where you don’t gently caress everything up you… talk to someone 5 feet away instead and then sail to the same place and do something slightly different.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

While I never played it, as I only beat the original ps4 version, I'm watching a speedrun of the definitive Edition of Dragon Quest 11, and apparently that version adds some backstory to Act 2 that's completely unnecessary, showing how the characters ended up where they are when you reunite with them, but I feel that spoils the storytelling- it's more interesting to have no idea what's become of them and find them in the middle of their own weird situations because they have their own lives. It's way more effective.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

moosecow333 posted:

I enjoyed my time with Dredge, even enjoying the last islands kinda annoying gimmick.

But the ending was a bit of a flop.

After collecting all the relics the game made it very obvious I was going past a point of no return. I assumed that I was about to embark on an epic last cruise using all the tools and knowledge I’ve acquired to beat whatever the evil is.

Except no, you sail 2 minutes in a direction with no threats, interact with a spot in the water, and you receive your ending. The ending itself is cool but it just happens.

If you want to get the alternate ending where you don’t gently caress everything up you… talk to someone 5 feet away instead and then sail to the same place and do something slightly different.

That sounds like a classic case of “oh poo poo we’re out of money”

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Tunicate posted:

Because clearly you don't give a guy with no training something that can cut his arms off and then blindfold him.

or say, give a classroom full of preschoolers in close proximity vision obscuring helmets and miniature laser swords

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gnome de plume posted:

or say, give a classroom full of preschoolers in close proximity vision obscuring helmets and miniature laser swords

Surely they were on the 'singed arm hair' setting. :ohdear:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Arrath posted:

Surely they were on the 'singed arm hair' setting. :ohdear:

Look we've got 50 younglings this year and there's only 30 tenured spots for jedi knights open.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's fine, robot arms are common enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I figured the lack of accents in the Hitman reboot was a course correction from all the wacky accents in Hitman Codename 47 to Blood Money.

Most of which were probably done by some random Dane trying to approximate a Chinese/Columbian/Hungarian/AAE English/whatever accent.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 01:50 on May 2, 2023