Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Grateful Dead Thread: the musky smell of pacculi of the womens who danced and twirled 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
July 1, 2022 was really good (I couch toured that one) and I also really enjoyed June 17, 2022 in person. They’re both on Spotify.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The Grateful Dead Thread: the musky smell of pacculi of the womens who danced and twirled 

Much better title

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

hatelull posted:

Excellent! Queuing this one up today.

Drums/Space was the thing in the 80's? I don't really dip into live Dead after '79.

On 70s setlists it was often tagged as "rhythm devils"

E: Winterland 78 is a famous one

https://youtu.be/i9TBrDKUNew

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Tbf the Drums/Space that Dead and Co. is do way more similar in structure to the 80s D/S rather than any 70s Drums/Rhythm Devils/etc.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Oh nice, a cleaned up SBD of this one would be extremely welcome

https://twitter.com/GratefulDead/status/1649112282100822016?s=20

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Great show. And to add to the Dylan count, he performed Truckin' again the other night along with a solo Bob Weir tune.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

Great show. And to add to the Dylan count, he performed Truckin' again the other night along with a solo Bob Weir tune.

He’s working out some Bobby and the Midnites stuff for Portugal.

This is the Brokedown from Nagoya they made it all the way through. Pretty great imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDjgnDvG4ds

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://www.instagram.com/p/CrWCfU6OAw0/?hl=en

quote:

Every day, things change. After many long discussions and some good old-fashioned soul searching, we are letting you know that our brother Bill Kreutzmann will not be joining us on our final summer tour. Bill wants you to know that he is in good spirits, good health and he is not retiring.

This is the culmination of a shift in creative direction as we keep these songs alive and breathing in ways that we each feel is best to continue to honor the legacy of the Grateful Dead. The final tour will go on as planned with Bill’s full endorsement and support.

See you at Jazz Fest!

“Let the Music Play the Band”

Bobby, Billy, Mickey and John
:thunk:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Oteil’s been in the band a while. He doesn’t get his name in the signature?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Tempo too slow confirmed by billy

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Oteil’s been in the band a while. He doesn’t get his name in the signature?

I think Bobby, Mickey, Bill and Mayer are the actual "corporation" so to speak, and Jeff/Oteil are hired hands

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I know the slow tempo talk is running rampant, but it is mad that that would be a problem this late in the game. It's ostensibly the end of the group, you can't put that aside for a few dates? Despite what the statement says it has to be health issues right? Billy was missing dates during the last tour.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

I know the slow tempo talk is running rampant, but it is mad that that would be a problem this late in the game. It's ostensibly the end of the group, you can't put that aside for a few dates? Despite what the statement says it has to be health issues right? Billy was missing dates during the last tour.

It’s absolutely health issues.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah I was definitely joking, billy counts them in half the time, if he didn't like the tempo he wouldn't set it

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I was crawling through a playlist of videos from an 80s/early 90s live music show that was on NBC and found this wild curio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryxmftgV-OI

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Rob was cool. Ratdog shows were fun

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

quote:

Sunny Springtime shirtless gyrations amidst Heavenly Jerry Tingles, this show exudes 80s tingle dancing surfer smiles while getting totally tubed by six Sublime Musical Artisans laying down the Golden Carpet.

My Brother Esau could be one their greatest vintages of that label ...ever. So clean, moist and tight, with the special jerry orgasm solo, almost wanting more jizz, but he finishes quick.

Ramble On Rose with it's vocal crescendo shivers, and a spiral powder line during Scarlet inspires Tom Curren'esque power and flow sprays against an indigo sky.

Oh, and watch out for those laughing gas groves in the Eucalyptus forest outside the annual Mellow Head Frost BBQ; you might end up stepping into another tab of Owsley Bear Vision Quest (Psssssssssssss...)

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

A week from today I will see Dead & Co for the first (and probably only) time. Obviously not expecting something as mystical as some of the '72 shows or even that fire late 70's Dead, but the Dead & Co stuff I've dug into on Spotify is satisfying.

You guys think this has the potential for a good time, or more of a "checkmark on the bucket list?"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

A week from today I will see Dead & Co for the first (and probably only) time. Obviously not expecting something as mystical as some of the '72 shows or even that fire late 70's Dead, but the Dead & Co stuff I've dug into on Spotify is satisfying.

You guys think this has the potential for a good time, or more of a "checkmark on the bucket list?"

Any concert is a good time. It will be a blast. It will not be the 70s Grateful Dead but so what.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
It is way more fun in person compared to what you'll hear on Spotify, you'll have a great time

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Any day you get to hear some jams with fellow heads is a good day. You'll have a blast

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
A 17 disc box set covering May/June 1973 was just announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y4gQz01u64

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trem_two posted:

A 17 disc box set covering May/June 1973 was just announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y4gQz01u64

gently caress I.... I need that....

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

gently caress I.... I need that....

I tried to talk myself into NOT needing it for like 5 minutes...and then I bought it

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah it's hard to resist that one. The versions we have of these shows sound great as it is, but the snippets they played at the listening party sound even better.

Funnily enough, Dick Latvala didn't rate the Stadium shows all that much, preferring their Autumn run instead. I don't entirely disagree but it speaks to how strong (and underrated) 73 is. You could listen to their 72 shows and think it's the band at their peak, but then you get to 73 and it's clear from their first show back that they've evolved.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fall 73 is my favorite run of any band ever sooooooo

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Man the Estimated on the show today in 1978 is :vince:

Jerry riding that Mu-Tron off into the cosmos

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Northside Skull and Bones Gang showed up in the middle of "Space/Drums" and it was Everything. So very happy I made the trek to see this ridiculous show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Happy Cornell day

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Dead and Co seem to be recreating the Cornell set list tonight

E: guess not

trem_two fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 9, 2023

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Well this show really is delivering some huge highlights. Lots of nods to the original Cornell set list, but most importantly they’re just having a solid night.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
This all-drag Grateful Dead tribute band is fighting the Tenn. ban by providing 'a place to celebrate and find joy'

Hell yeah

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Seeing JRAD at Red Rocks tonight :woop:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Marco Benevento is a better keys player than anyone who played with the Dead. Not that I'd rather hear him than Brent, or rather see JRAD than the Dead, but drat he is hot poo poo. I tried listening to Benevento/Russo Duo and Bustle in Your Hedgerow back in the day, but never cared much for what he was doing till JRAD.

Anyhow, it was a great show. Katie Jacoby came out and played Rider>Baba OReilly and a Waterboys song with them on a six string electric viola, which was wild. The setlist honestly didn't excite me that much, though the jams were pretty solid. Minglewood>Prophet<St Stephen was great. Tonight's setlist was kind of what I was hoping for.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I've listened to most of this last Dead and Company tour, and they are going out in really fine form. Phoenix, Atlanta, Raleigh, Bristow, both Wrigley nights and Philly were all very good. I'm pretty hyped for the 3 nights in Boulder. Mickey has been killing it on Drums/Space too. Honestly think he should release an electronic music album.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Meet up at the Movies is Soldier Field from 91.

And folks, stone cold sober I had a loving epiphany mid Terrapin, not to mention a loving dope Shakedown and a Darkstar Jam.

Goddamn.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/suemyassoff/status/1672332738106650625?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Here is is at sound check a few weeks ago without bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cg6F7gQ1G0&t=381s&pp=2AH9ApACAQ%3D%3D