Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
“that’s a yellow-banded face melter. the name’s inaccurate of course - it’s really more of a saffron”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DF sayin the PC port of Star War is in worse shape than TLOU pt 1

oof

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm scared of poison swamps tbh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fridge corn posted:

I would also like less slug enemies in video games. Not because I'm afraid of them, but because I love slugs and think they're cute and I don't like having to hurt them :(

Same except dogs

Seriously, not only are dogs cute and good, but they tend to be among the most annoying to fight

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The slugs getting pooped down from the ceiling in DeS is still one of the creepiest things I’ve seen in games. Love it though.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

oof

PC gaming seems like a real bad deal if you’re into AAA releases these days. It’s still a fine place for more niche titles, but shelling out big bucks for a GPU and then having essentially no major releases run smoothly until well after launch must suck.

Seems to be especially bad for Unreal Engine titles as of late.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

PC gamers get what they deserve

If they didn’t want to have to janitor their computers and do a bunch of extra touching to play games they should have got a console like a normal person

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

For those playing Jedi: Survivor, it is extremely worth clearing out then mountaintop imp base near the main settlement for multiple reasons. There’s a bit of a benefit to doing it before the separatist ship, like I’d say as soon as you finish the bit that gives you air dash, go there.

Do you mean the Mountain Ascent area? Cos yeah I wanna go do that when I can. I’m still just exploring everything on Koboh, making very slow progress because there’s so much to do but vaguely heading towards the Forest Array now. Game good, really pleased with how much of an improvement it is, hope they fix the frame rate drops and the disaster PC port soon

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm all about low end PC gaming. Screw paying thousands for top of the line hardware. I'll always just play the latest games on console, but having access to the most expansive library in existence rules. Being able to buy some game I loved on PS3 for like $2 and play it at 120fps in 1080p is the best.

Even after casually getting into PC years ago, I still have to remind myself that I can actually do that and I'm not usually just SOL anymore when I want to play an old game.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 29, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

No big releases that I can see for week 18, and slim pickings until after Zelda.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I think there’s a bug in Jedi Survivor where if you die to an enemy introduced as a set piece (e.g. you walk up in the middle of a big animal killing storm troopers or one jumps down from a roof in front of you), you can’t recover your XP. I’m guessing because the version that spawns subsequent times is technically a separate entity that doesn’t do the bespoke set piece thing.

Not a huge deal but I’ve lost XP a couple times to those big gorilla things with the grab move with no chance to get it back.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Impulse bought a PS5!!! Posting here because

1) What are the best PS5 exclusives and/or PS4 games that are better on PS5
2) Is there any way to make my wifi faster? In my living room my phone connects to my network at 300mbps and my PS5 download speeds are sometimes <15mbps...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

anothergod posted:

2) Is there any way to make my wifi faster? In my living room my phone connects to my network at 300mbps and my PS5 download speeds are sometimes <15mbps...

1) Returnal, Horizon FW, TLOU pt 1, 2LOU, Metro Exodus, GoW Ragnarok, Ghost of Tsushima, Ratchet & Clank, FF7R Intergrade.

2) For downloads try hitting the options button over your wi-fi in network setup to switch from 2.4ghz to 5ghz

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

If you like Souls games, ds3 and sekiro are perfection on ps5

e: you know what. Cyberpunk and the Witcher 3. I greatly enjoyed cyberpunks use of the controller.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oof

That is a massive feat. I bought TLOU pt1 on Steam, but then refunded it because the game couldnt even get to the main menu.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

History Comes Inside! posted:

PC gamers get what they deserve

If they didn’t want to have to janitor their computers and do a bunch of extra touching to play games they should have got a console like a normal person

I just found out today that steam will just stop working in less than a year cos of my os. They wont even let you use it at all, it just wont run past a date lmao my pc games held hostage. absolutely insane digital pc bullshit nightmare

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
started dead space and one thing i'll say having replayed the first recently is this has some A++ sound design. isaac's footsteps have a ton of weight, chairs and crates screech across the metallic floors when they're dropped, and i find the necromorphs' new voices way more effective than the turkey-gobbling of the original

hammond's new voice actor really is a whiff, though. this guy sounds like he popped zoloft before getting into the booth

e: oh boy this lighting engine. this is proper darkness

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 30, 2023

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

I just found out today that steam will just stop working in less than a year cos of my os. They wont even let you use it at all, it just wont run past a date lmao my pc games helds hostage. absolutely insane digital pc bullshit

Why on god’s green earth are your still using Windows 7 or, comedy option, 8?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I guarantee you anyone who gives even the slightest whiff about playing their games on a PC is entirely unaffected by Steam not supporting ancient Windows versions. Good lord

I know it’s in vogue to style on PC users in this thread but uh

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

started dead space and one thing i'll say having replayed the first recently is this has some A++ sound design. isaac's footsteps have a ton of weight, chairs and crates screech across the metallic floors when they're dropped, and i find the necromorphs' new voices way more effective than the turkey-gobbling of the original

hammond's new voice actor really is a whiff, though. this guy sounds like he popped zoloft before getting into the booth

The sound design in the remake is god tier, yeah, and I really like what they are doing with environment object physics in zero gravity + vacuum. So eerie.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Lol pc gaming

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

anothergod posted:

1. The bundled Astro Bot game. Seriously, it will show you the true potential of controller haptics and make any game that doesn’t use them feel a bit of a letdown

2. It may not be feasible but Ethernet is so much better than PS Wi-Fi it’s not funny. Even a third party bridge pretending to be an Ethernet cable may be faster than the built-in support

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just found out today that steam will just stop working in less than a year cos of my os. They wont even let you use it at all, it just wont run past a date lmao my pc games held hostage. absolutely insane digital pc bullshit nightmare

to be fair, if Valve did not hold your account hostage, then someone else would through a windows 7 security vulnerability, so they are doing you a favor.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

No big releases that I can see for week 18, and slim pickings until after Zelda.

Hey hey I have TWO WHOLE GAMES!

2nd May

Age of Wonders 4 (PS5)

5th May

Death or Treat (PS5)

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

I said come in! posted:

to be fair, if Valve did not hold your account hostage, then someone else would through a windows 7 security vulnerability, so they are doing you a favor.

Usual poo poo thats parrotted out. Noones held it hostage so far since 2011 and i havent updated the patches and poo poo for years because i know how to use it. Youre only gonna get that poo poo venturing out into wasteland sites and opening painfully obvious emails. Its bullshit because of compability and you know, not being able to run games you bought and worked fine for years. If they just stopped you from updating like chrome does that would be fine and understandable but no, they pull this poo poo and it should not be accepted by anyone.

man nurse posted:

I guarantee you anyone who gives even the slightest whiff about playing their games on a PC is entirely unaffected by Steam not supporting ancient Windows versions. Good lord

Its an old system that isnt running new games anyway, why should it have its games that can run that ive paid for blocked? I got poo poo for dos and win95 that still work fine on it but now cos pc got forced into having everything going through steam, everything ive owned or had to add to steam since 2007 is going down the shitter because im not ready (fiancially) for a full system upgrade to run a flashy new os? gently caress that poo poo. Its like sony telling you your ps1 games wont work anymore until you buy a ps5.

Not to mention valve used to say if they wentbunder youd be able to play your bought games. Stay physical forever.

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 30, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
vikar’s brain is sikar

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s always been the case with technology though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Usual poo poo thats parrotted out. Noones held it hostage so far since 2011 and i havent updated the patches and poo poo for years because i know how to use it. Youre only gonna get that poo poo venturing out into wasteland sites and opening painfully obvious emails. Its bullshit because of compability and you know, not being able to run games you bought and worked fine for years. If they just stopped you from updating like chrome does that would be fine and understandable but no, they pull this poo poo and it should not be accepted by anyone.

Its an old system that isnt running new games anyway, why should it have its games that can run that ive paid for blocked? I got poo poo for dos and win95 that still work fine on it but now cos pc got forced into having everything going through steam, everything ive owned or had to add to steam since 2007 is going down the shitter because im not ready (fiancially) for a full system upgrade to run a flashy new os? gently caress that poo poo. Its like sony telling you your ps1 games wont work anymore until you buy a ps5.

Not to mention valve used to say if they wentbunder youd be able to play your bought games. Stay physical forever.

For fucks sake don't let your windows 7 botnet box on the internet

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

That’s always been the case with technology though

No it hasnt, i can turn on my windows 95 machine and play windows 95 games and dos stuff right now. I can do the same with my xp machine.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

kirbysuperstar posted:

For fucks sake don't let your windows 7 botnet box on the internet

Works fine actually, like i said, you gotta know what your doing

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Windows 10 is a free upgrade and it almost certainly runs on your computer

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Ps5 rules tho

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

veni veni veni posted:

There’s this mission in burning shores where you have to ask the right question and if you get it wrong the game just doesn’t let you progress, but gives no indication this is the case so I spent like 15 minutes checking every corner before looking it up and seeing that you just need to reload the game lol. I feel like they didn’t think that one through

Is that the one with the Quen cultists inside the mountain? If so, there's at least two people you can get the info from.

Also, how would you even know if you met a chill arachnophobe?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lmao still on windows 7

Windows 10 is done by 2025

grandpa over here

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Volte posted:

Windows 10 is a free upgrade and it almost certainly runs on your computer

Wheres it free? And i doubt it, its amd phenom (i think) II quad core, id have to get a new seperate hdd to dualboot it because i dont want to rock the boat with some programs that work fine and dandy on it because im 80.

I was gonna get win10 when i was gonna build a new system before the bitcoin mining inflating made that a nightmare. Always do that, new os new system, rather than upgrade bits and bobs.

Anyway, all that is beside the point, they should just not let you update rather than kill your whole digital collection

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 30, 2023

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Vintersorg posted:

lmao still on windows 7

Windows 10 is done by 2025

grandpa over here

still on win95 too :smuggo:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Wheres it free? And i doubt it, its amd phenom (i think) 2 quad core, id have to get a new seperate hdd to dualboot it because i dont want to rock the boat with some programs that work fine and dandy on it because im 80
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

As far as I can tell it should work fine on your processor, plenty of people on Google talking about that combo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Your 7 key literally entitles you to Win20 (and 11), please for the love of gently caress at least upgrade to 10. It won't run any worse and it'll at least be not a security hole laden piece of poo poo

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

man nurse posted:

Maybe I’m just a stickler but I really don’t think it’s appropriate to have a game on PS5 that doesn’t offer a steady 60 fps mode. At the very least I’d expect no screen tearing if that can’t even be managed.

I’m gonna be a total mark for a PS5 Pro. More, more power!

This would be shoot at the top of my wishlist if they market it for 4k/60fps. Other than online games or fps which I play on PC, I prefer buying everything on PS5, it's just some games have poo poo performance so I go with PC.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

man nurse posted:

valve's own surveys say a whole 1.3% of users still use Win7/8

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

In a lot of ways PC gaming is better than it's ever been, especially if you prefer the couch and controller experience. Trash ports are the exception. I can count on controller support in AAA games. When I left off with PC gaming back in 2006, ports of console games weren't very common, and they usually sucked. Shader compilation stutter is annoying but not a deal breaker. I'd still prioritize a PS5, but PC is a nice option to consider over a Series S/X if you want access to more games and can put up with the busywork. Or it would be if price weren't a factor. The big problem is that it's way too expensive. The value per dollar for PC hardware is in the toilet, way worse than usual even for the start of a console gen. There are exceptions, Steam Deck is a really nice on ramp. But the appeal of PC gaming for dominating consoles on performance and visuals is definitely thin at the moment.