Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Volte posted:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

As far as I can tell it should work fine on your processor, plenty of people on Google talking about that combo.

Ah poo poo, dont think i can do that, my old key got deactivated and i had to crack it a few years after install lol. It was something i didnt understand at the time, bought the win7 cd and key off an amazon seller but it was somehow deemed part of an invalid batch that was meant for a company or something, i can barely remember. Thanks anyway i do remember qop saying you buy one for the price of coffee so maybe ill look into that.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Your 7 key literally entitles you to Win20 (and 11), please for the love of gently caress at least upgrade to 10. It won't run any worse and it'll at least be not a security hole laden piece of poo poo

If it aint broke...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'll upgrade to 11 when they let me put my taskbar on the side

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

PC gaming definitely has the barrier of entry facing it regarding price and tweaking stuff and all that. But it’s certainly the best and most accessible it’s ever been.

I’m not bemoaning the value of having a console where you just press play and the bitch works. I primarily use consoles, and I used to be big into PC gaming. I eventually decided I don’t want to futz with PC hardware and settings. But for those who do like to do that, there are obvious benefits.

Who cares how you enjoy your games. Just play the games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All these operating systems sound like pieces of poo poo

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Ah poo poo, dont think i can do that, my old key got deactivated and i had to crack it a few years after install lol. It was something i didnt understand at the time, bought the win7 cd and key off an amazon seller but it was somehow deemed part of an invalid batch that was meant for a company or something, i can barely remember. Thanks anyway i do remember qop saying you buy one for the price of coffee so maybe ill look into that.

If it aint broke...

It's broke that's why valve is dropping support. Buy a Win 7 key for $5 here and use it to upgrade to 10 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Choosing to use any version of Windows in 2023 is such an alien concept to me lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kazzah posted:

Is that the one with the Quen cultists inside the mountain? If so, there's at least two people you can get the info from.

Also, how would you even know if you met a chill arachnophobe?

Yeah, but if you talk to both of them and guess wrong it just turns into a stalemate and Aloy will just keep saying she needs to find the password while there is no way to progress. It's nbd cause you can just reload, but it seems like a weird oversight.

There's plenty of chill spider-phobes. My oldest friend is terrified of them. He dropped my PSX down the stairs when I threw a spider at him and it exploded (the PSX not the spider), which was admittedly...on me. We hung out 2 days ago. Good dude. My point isn't that everyone who is scared of spiders is a drama queen. It's that if you see someone being really dramatic about their phobia, it's always spiders. Or possibly some dumb thing they made up for twitter attention, like holes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used to be deeply phobic of open ocean waters because I got stung by a jellyfish while swimming in the ocean as a kid and it freaked me out that things can attack you underwater from any angle and you can't like, run away. I even hated the trash compactor level of Dark Forces afterward because those tentacles can attack you from the water and you can't even see them coming! Then I played subnautica for a while and it helped me get over that, I still don't want to swim in the open ocean but it doesn't give me a weird sense of creeping dread anymore.

It has always stuck out to me that arachnophobes are generally the only ones I see asking for accessibility options in games for their phobia. I mean I'm not judging them for that or anything but I've always wondered why you don't see the same thing out of people who are e.g. phobic of heights asking for an accessibility mode in games that disables/blurs/etc the distant ground when up high

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Do you mean the Mountain Ascent area? Cos yeah I wanna go do that when I can. I’m still just exploring everything on Koboh, making very slow progress because there’s so much to do but vaguely heading towards the Forest Array now. Game good, really pleased with how much of an improvement it is, hope they fix the frame rate drops and the disaster PC port soon

Yeah. You can’t do much there until you have the air dash, but once you do it’s worth prioritizing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
In Jedi survivor rn I feel like I explore and just hit a brick wall of some floaty thing, some electric thing or until five minutes ago a big heavy door. Feel like I've played heaps of the game but I still can't open and use all the environmental stuff. I did spend ages on Koboh at the start and did everything I could until I got the itch to do story.

I think I'm going to leave all the exploring until the final mission warning, but also then I'll miss out on using the poo poo I find. I'll probably Ng+ this using a different weapon combo tho.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

JBP posted:

In Jedi survivor rn I feel like I explore and just hit a brick wall of some floaty thing, some electric thing or until five minutes ago a big heavy door. Feel like I've played heaps of the game but I still can't open and use all the environmental stuff. I did spend ages on Koboh at the start and did everything I could until I got the itch to do story.

I think I'm going to leave all the exploring until the final mission warning, but also then I'll miss out on using the poo poo I find. I'll probably Ng+ this using a different weapon combo tho.

Some of the environmental progression abilities are in side content though. That’s one of (but not the main) reason I’m recommending the mountain ascent side area.

I haven’t found the ability to use the flying things either. I think it’s the only traversal ability I don’t have yet though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

acksplode posted:

In a lot of ways PC gaming is better than it's ever been, especially if you prefer the couch and controller experience. Trash ports are the exception. I can count on controller support in AAA games. When I left off with PC gaming back in 2006, ports of console games weren't very common, and they usually sucked. Shader compilation stutter is annoying but not a deal breaker. I'd still prioritize a PS5, but PC is a nice option to consider over a Series S/X if you want access to more games and can put up with the busywork. Or it would be if price weren't a factor. The big problem is that it's way too expensive. The value per dollar for PC hardware is in the toilet, way worse than usual even for the start of a console gen. There are exceptions, Steam Deck is a really nice on ramp. But the appeal of PC gaming for dominating consoles on performance and visuals is definitely thin at the moment.

Yup I think having a decent gaming pc rig(its not that expensive) + Playstation is the best way to go, Switch if you like Nintendo stuff. I think Xbox will take sometime but they will start releasing some good exclusive games but they release everything on PC. You are kinda covered on all ends, usually by the end of the generation I just play everything on PC though since the performance starts to get substandard on consoles.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm just now realizing i have no idea what will be goty. usually you have a pretty good idea, but this year is just packed. ff16? zelda? ac6? metroid? what else is in the conversation?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hi fi rush, re4 remake

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

anothergod posted:

Impulse bought a PS5!!! Posting here because

1) What are the best PS5 exclusives and/or PS4 games that are better on PS5
2) Is there any way to make my wifi faster? In my living room my phone connects to my network at 300mbps and my PS5 download speeds are sometimes <15mbps...

Redeem all the PS Plus Collection games. Some real bangers in there to fill out your initial collection, especially if you didn't have a PS4. It's being discontinued in about a month but if you redeem them they'll stay available on your account as long as you have a PS Plus subscription.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Choosing to use any version of Windows in 2023 is such an alien concept to me lol

Sorry we can't all use your custom bespoke OS developed by some fifty-year old pervert from the Netherlands, but some of us actually want to be able to run programs on our computers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

abelwingnut posted:

i'm just now realizing i have no idea what will be goty. usually you have a pretty good idea, but this year is just packed. ff16? zelda? ac6? metroid? what else is in the conversation?

It's already Zelda.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

abelwingnut posted:

Octopath 2 should not be overlooked

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

FireWorksWell posted:

Not in the same universe of quality as the rest and I haven't even played them

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Is there any way to make the ps4 version of a game stop appearing on my home screen if I pop in a ps4 disc but only have the PS5 upgrade installed? I swear when I played through FF7R it wasn’t doing this to me but maybe I’m misremembering?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Shammypants posted:

I mean I'm definitely interested in ff16 but I don't think anything else will top ot2 this year for me

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Is there any way to make the ps4 version of a game stop appearing on my home screen if I pop in a ps4 disc but only have the PS5 upgrade installed? I swear when I played through FF7R it wasn’t doing this to me but maybe I’m misremembering?

Nope. It’s super annoying.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

abelwingnut posted:

pizza tower

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arist posted:

Sorry we can't all use your custom bespoke OS developed by some fifty-year old pervert from the Netherlands, but some of us actually want to be able to run programs on our computers.

This yeah. Steam Deck is the only way I will tolerate Linux.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

abelwingnut posted:

Silksong.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Jedi Survivor owns bones.

I couldn't be arsed to finish Hollow Knight because all of the levels are the same, just different color palettes. Could be said for a lot of games, actually. Won't be playing Silksong.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

What the gently caress lmao I have a Mac

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I'm being honest, the more I dig back into Horizon the more I feel like a lot of my opinion on it was skewed by Elden Ring. Now that some time has passed I feel like I'm judging it more on it's own merits and enjoying it more thoroughly. It helps they made the upgrades less grindy. I hated the upgrade loop and just did not want to engage with it. Now I can at least appreciate what they were going for and since I am playing it with much less of a "let's just wrap this up" mindset, it's relatively fun to just go out and hunt stuff for upgrades. If it was up to me I'd change a lot about the whole progression system in the game, but at least I actually feel like engaging with it now. The DLC also rewards you with cool stuff for doing quests which I felt like was sorely lacking in the main game.

Also so much of the damage sponge element really just comes down to lovely gear. I didn't want to grind so I finished the game with bad stuff and lacked a lot of the elemental options I needed, which basically is like playing on hard mode. Now that I have decent stuff the game is ridiculously easy on normal. When I fired up the DLC playing on normal was akin to ultra hard in the first game. The game really screws you if you don't like spending hours collecting 10 Bellowback dicks or whatever.

But I'm loving it atm. The DLC is great (well, the set pieces and map are, the story is mehhhh) . I'm trying to pace myself so I don't finish it before wrapping up a good chunk of side quests I skipped in the main game. Might just max out the difficulty so I can stretch it out until Zelda.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Escobarbarian posted:

What the gently caress lmao I have a Mac

eh BSD's basically the same as Unix

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

abelwingnut posted:

Spider Man 2. Jedi Survivor. Street Fighter 6. Diablo 4. There are going to be so many games announced in the next 6-8 weeks that will be shipped by end of year.

Just in awe that Armored Core comes up in GOTY talks.

e: Longshot Lies of P. Not GOTY, but they're going to surprise.

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 30, 2023

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I said come in! posted:

This yeah. Steam Deck is the only way I will tolerate a PC.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Blind Rasputin posted:

Jedi Survivor owns bones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've only turned my PC on to update it and make sure it still works since I got a Steam Deck. I was looking forward to using it again for Baulders gate 3 and then I found out it's coming to PS5 day 1 and, welp.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Didn't care for Jedi Order much but Survivor is a lot better so far.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Ah poo poo, dont think i can do that, my old key got deactivated and i had to crack it a few years after install lol.

Good news the upgrade works on :filez: copies of windows too because Microsoft don’t give a poo poo they just want you to upgrade.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish Diablo 4 was out.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, Survivor has kinda blown away my expectations. I wish more AAA games took its approach to… well everything. Pacing, world design, HUD.

GotY talk. I’m pretty sure in terms of mass opinions, it’ll be between FF16 and Zelda. I’ll probably wind up with a more niche favorite, but those will be the ones dominating the discourse.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FireWorksWell posted:

:hai:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Shammypants posted:

Actually it is definitely in the same universe of quality as a zelda game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GOTY will be Zelda and a bunch of people will bring up how they thought it was overrated at every possible opportunity just like with BotW