Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

It also betrays a type of laziness/lack of imagination. "Oh, just throw a spider in there". Come up with something interesting, it's easy to exploit such a universal phobia (as even if people aren't arachnophobic, they may still have a knee jerk reaction to it). The spider level in Nioh is a neat level structurally and the cobwebs changing the layout of the town so that it's unrecognisable to navigate is a cool use of the enemy type, but the other yokai are just more interesting.

Again, I’m bullish on whether I’d call spider-removal an issue of accessibility, per se, but calling it a failure of imagination is incredibly insightful. On its face ableism of any sort is precisely that, a failure to consider experiences of being that are unlike on’es own. It’s the digging in that ends up being the problem, rather than the ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

BurningBeard posted:

Again, I’m bullish on whether I’d call spider-removal an issue of accessibility, per se, but calling it a failure of imagination is incredibly insightful. On its face ableism of any sort is precisely that, a failure to consider experiences of being that are unlike on’es own. It’s the digging in that ends up being the problem, rather than the ignorance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

Satisfactory also has a mode for that! It turns the spider looking enemies into wavering holograms of 2D cats that still make spider sounds, which both suggests it's actually occuring in universe for your player character (who presumably is also an arachnophobia and thus enabled the option to hide spiders from their vision) AND serves to make them equally disturbing and uncomfortable but in an entirely different way!

The game Grounded has an arachnophobia slider where turning it up makes the spiders look more and more abstract.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Why don't you want arachnophobia toggles? What are you, some kind of filthy spider-lover??

Shadows over Loathing has an arachnophilia option alongside the arachnophobia option. Arachnophilia adds spiders to every fight. If you select it, an arachnophonia option shows up, changing all combat sounds to spider sounds. Despite being checkboxes, it feels like a real arachno experience slider.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
All games should take a page from System Shock 2 and just make their giant spider enemies also invisible, problem solved

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
no game has done spiders better than Northern Journey did spiders

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If developers only put in spiders for cheap scares there wouldn't be so many sexy spider ladies in video games.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

exquisite tea posted:

If developers only put in spiders for cheap scares there wouldn't be so many sexy spider ladies in video games.

There is nothing more terrifying to a Gamer than a lady, spider or otherwise

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dragon Age and Lord of the Rings alike will teach you to treat women with respect lest they turn out to be a were-arachnid.

edit: To be fair to Morrigan though she's not just a spider, she is also a were-bear.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Johnny Bravo would totally just adjust to a woman who happened to be part spider, he happily dated a vampire and a transformed werewolf with no judgement. It was other things that got in the way, like his choice of meal making him repellant to the former and the latter spending wednesdays as a man being the dealbreaker. Despite his reputation he was actually not a bad BF, it's just when he was looking for a relationship he'd get in his own way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Red Minjo posted:

Shadows over Loathing has an arachnophilia option alongside the arachnophobia option. Arachnophilia adds spiders to every fight. If you select it, an arachnophonia option shows up, changing all combat sounds to spider sounds. Despite being checkboxes, it feels like a real arachno experience slider.

I want this, except for crabs. And also it changes them all to be my friends

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

If you want to get crabs, just talk to your mother.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey here's something the thread may appreciate that got me to buy Ultrakill just now personally. HEALTH did a dope song for their soundtrack, and this is the cover art New Blood made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4026PXHA-4I

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I have a pretty visceral dislike of spiders but that just makes them more satisfying to kill in video games, whereas I feel kinda bad killing them in real life. More spider enemies in games I say, who cares if they're unimaginative.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Aren't all insects just kinda gross to us on a primal level? Like I know spiders are not insects but it's the whole leg situation.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Empires of the Undergrowth has an arachnophobia mode that puts bright colourful hats on all the spiders. I've no idea if that actually works, but being a top-down strategy game those hats do cover most of the spider so I guess I can see how it does?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just wait a few millenia

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

Aren't all insects just kinda gross to us on a primal level? Like I know spiders are not insects but it's the whole leg situation.

I don't have issues with most insects and spiders, but centipedes get to me. How does that data point fit into your hypothesis?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A slider with arachnophobia on one end and coulrophobia on the other, sliding it turns clowns into spiders and vice versa.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Vic posted:

With spiders, its the leg situation, the eye situation, the hairy situation, moving really fast situation, catching in a web situation, and keeping you alive but paralyzed while they suck out your insides situation.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I mean there's no kitten-phobia slider turning cute little cats into fluffy orbs so

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Vic posted:

I would kiss every ant

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

your insane discord friends do not shape game dev policy lmao

shadows of doubt is maybe the greatest thief game ever. had a random NPC decide to break into the same apartment as me, then set the turret off on both of us

Gone Rogue is an amazing thief game. loving dogs!!:argh:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Tunicate posted:

A slider with arachnophobia on one end and coulrophobia on the other, sliding it turns clowns into spiders and vice versa.

And in the middle is spiderclown?

This feels like an exercise in learned helplessness.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, the middle is where it transitions from spiderclown to clownspider

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Empires of the Undergrowth has an arachnophobia mode that puts bright colourful hats on all the spiders. I've no idea if that actually works, but being a top-down strategy game those hats do cover most of the spider so I guess I can see how it does?

I tried to google this and found nothing useful in the first 15 seconds, do you have examples?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I've been playing Shadows of Doubt the past couple of days, a procedurally generated detective sim, and whenever you plot a path to whatever you want to examine next, when you arrive, the game does the "typewriter typing the time and location whenever you arrive at your waypoint, like in typical film-noir style.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

credburn posted:

And in the middle is spiderclown?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing about arachnophobia options is it’s one of the easier things to put in coding wise. Just have a global variable, if it’s set to “on” then whenever a certain enemy would spawn you use an alternate model. The most work is just in having the other model ready to go and if you’re making a big game you’re probably modeling a bunch of different enemies anyway.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A lot of the time when I hear people complaining about spiders in videogames, it's not "I can't play games with spiders in them", it's "I'm sick of devs using spiders an enemy designs because I find them to be more upsetting than most people do."

From the dev's perspective, though, a lost sale is a lost sale, whether it's because the person can't play the game or because they simply choose not to. Framing their market-broadening efforts as accessibility is just good PR.

For me it's very much 'I can't play games with spiders in them'. It varies as to how bad it is but despite enjoying the first Metro game a lot, I barely managed to make it through the second one through a very uncomfortable, panicked, literal 'running around with my eyes closed trying to hit a lever and then running back out' because it decided to throw in a section where you have giant gimmick spider/tarantula-esque enemies that will fall down form the ceiling with a horrifying dead thump, and then skitter noises as they charge you. In the dark. They're also gimmick invulnerable and you have to like, flash them with your flashlight just right to flip them over so you can shoot them.

Can't even bring myself to play the third one knowing they decided to bring that enemy back because absolutely gently caress that.

Similarly, I'm also really happy that Capcom didn't bring back the giant tarantula enemies for RE2/RE3make. Folks complained but gently caress no I would not have been able to deal remotely with extremely high resolution 4k UHD giant tarantulas. I don't even want to image their kill animations... :gonk:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've found my first secondary job in Octopath Traveller 1 on starting the final character, and it's so satisfying how badly it's broken the game. Now the scholar is also a merchant and he's broken the game wide open because he now spends half the MP on spells and has the wind element on top of that, so can hit every weakness but light and dark, and has most of the physical weaknesses covered too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And now I'm just fondly remembering City of Villains and the biggest signature antagonist group being basically spider-themed Cobra, so you're fighting giant robot spiders, spider-themed special forces with backpack limbs, mutant spider hybrids, and basically every other enemy being at least given a spider-themed name. Except the flying wizard gimps.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arriving in Freeside playing New Vegas and some random guy waved me over and I followed him. It ended up with him trying (emphasis on trying) to rob me. That's something I would expect form Rockstar, not Bethesda (a bunch of developers who still hasn't figured out how to show people walking through doors).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And now I'm just fondly remembering City of Villains and the biggest signature antagonist group being basically spider-themed Cobra, so you're fighting giant robot spiders, spider-themed special forces with backpack limbs, mutant spider hybrids, and basically every other enemy being at least given a spider-themed name. Except the flying wizard gimps.

And the psychic ninjas.

Little thing in City of Villains: Originally said faction of spider-fetishists had their units staunchly locked to one gender (despite there even being some concept art for female versions of the basic goons), but a fan server update finally mixed in opposite gender versions. Well past due considering there's character classes to play as most of them, so it wasn't exactly a new concept.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Apr 30, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alhazred posted:

Arriving in Freeside playing New Vegas and some random guy waved me over and I followed him. It ended up with him trying (emphasis on trying) to rob me. That's something I would expect form Rockstar, not Bethesda (a bunch of developers who still hasn't figured out how to show people walking through doors).

I love that encounter. There's not just one guy trying to rob you, but also another guy waiting in ambush behind a blind corner, and also the corpse of the previous guy they robbed.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Well since we're talking about accessibility, I feel like now would be a good time to link you to 2 day's of conference stream from the Games Accessibility conference that took place in London 24th -> 25th of April 2023.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVEo4bPIUOsk7rvgPy8bBLZBruIEM5Apa

And speaking as someone with (at this point) crippling photo-sensitive epilepsy, the concept of putting down a line saying "past this point is going too far" regarding accessibility is complete at odds with my world view.
I remember reading stories of a war veteran with some serious PTSD who desperately needed a job and really wanted to work in the games industry. His first job was to be playtester for one of the fps games centered around the Americans and their fight against the population of the middle east.
He absolutely hated the sound of gunfire since it took him back to his time spent in Fallujah. But that was his job and he stuck with it.

Now in terms of disability, there might be an argument for whether or not that counts as a disability enough to be worth accommodating him with an accessibility option that turns the gunfire sounds more into Doom sounds instead of making them as realistic as possible.
But I am sure as poo poo not going to be the gatekeeper telling him that it is just going to suck to be him because this is too slippery a slope for me to accommodate his niche issue.

Like TooMuchAbstraction said, a lost sale is a lost sale, and it is up to the devs alone to decide how many people they have the time and resources to make their game accessible to.

I've had death threats thrown my way because I had the audacity to report a game having seizure triggering elements that I couldn't bypass.
Those death threats came from someone else with photo-sensitive epilepsy who got pissed that I tried to make things better for others, because they thought I did it to get attention and praise.
The disabled community has enough trouble with our own self-loathing causing infighting already. We welcome people with anxieties and phobias having their issues addressed, because it only makes the world better.

SerthVarnee has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Apr 30, 2023

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Philippe posted:

I love that encounter. There's not just one guy trying to rob you, but also another guy waiting in ambush behind a blind corner, and also the corpse of the previous guy they robbed.

I remember an encounter in Morrowind where some lady standing at the side of the road would ask you to get her ring that "somehow" fell into a pond.

once you do, she and her cloak of invisibility'd accomplice will attack you

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Murdoch posted:

And the psychic ninjas.

Little thing in City of Villains: Originally said faction of spider-fetishists had their units staunchly locked to one gender (despite there even being some concept art for female versions of the basic goons), but a fan server update finally mixed in opposite gender versions. Well past due considering there's character classes to play as most of them, so it wasn't exactly a new concept.

Supposedly there was a big survey ages back about whether they should make more gender-diverse units or new enemy factions, which is a bit of a false economy there, but there were some decent points raised by some players- the game was already pretty good about NPC groups being realistically diverse, especially for the time. Most of the street gangs like the Hellions, Trolls and Outcasts make sense as boys-only clubs like most street gangs tend to be (though they did eventually have the Skulls take on female members) and the Council and Fifth Column are explicitly fascists, and Nemesis as well is also notably prejudiced as you'd expect from someone who started out making weapons for the Confederacy.

On the other hand, Crey is as politically correct as you'd expect from a modern megacorporation, Freedom Corps is an inclusive organisation as basically the 'good guy' army, and generally going forward most factions had male and female members not restricted by role. Arachnos was kinda the biggest odd one out there, being as eager for any recruits as any forward-thinking evil army but women have to be psychic ninjas or mutant spider cyborgs while men are all soldiers or bondage wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Well Bethesda didn't develop it, Obsidian did, and that is some hardcore Obsidian poo poo.