Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would get so much further in Jedi Survivor if I wasn't stopping all the time to take screenshots lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

If you like your Star Wars with lots of weird little alien guys, this is the game.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Pennfalath posted:

Question:
In this game, when you break an enemy's guard and then keep attacking, after a couple of strikes they will push Cal away or break through your attack and retaliate, immediately forcing you to parry them again before you can attack them once more. Like in Sekiro, this is accompanied with an animation, and (I believe) a visual and sound effect.
In Fallen order, you had to parry someone or break their guard before you could attack, but did it already have them Sekiro-style countering after a while with those animations and effects, or is that a nice improvement for this game? I can't remember.

part of the reason i don't like using dual saber/double saber/big saber is that the normal saber feels so GOOD when you do sekiro combat right, it has the perfect swing speed and parry speed and stuff. it feels like it's designed specifically for base saber

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I like how organic the environments feel. I dug them well enough in Fallen Order; here they seem less... videogame-y? Yeah there are still the markers for wall runs and the like, but a fair few of the side paths take some scrutiny to find. The lighting and sound are top notch as well.

Other than that, I was not expecting so many animal friends :3:

isk fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 30, 2023

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

I beat the rancor. In true souls fashion I spent 15 tries or something, at least half of them hopping into the arena and promptly being eaten, another 5 or so I died when it had a sliver of health left, and the one where I finally did it I was like the anti-rancor god and could not be touched gently caress you rancor.

all the time i spent in the defiled chalice dungeon paid off

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Pretty sure if you try to hack a droid with BD it makes him inoperable afterwards. Need to use a bd skill to proceed but the down button doesn't work. Had this happen before where he wouldn't slice until I reloaded.

E: most annoyingly I'm doing the mountain ascent which has been a great time. Did a battle at the end and then he failed. So I have to do the battle again which is fine, but it's taken the sheen off an otherwise great bit of gaming.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

:allears: Surprised there isn't an Andor-themed blaster set

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm no jedi. I'm just a guy with a lightsaber.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Had a funny bug tonight where Skoova loaded in 3 times and it for some reason remained consistent across finding him twice as I was exploring. :lol:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe someone at Cere’s base will know what to make of this.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah... I gotta say, while I'm enjoying this game more (technical foibles aside), I like the open-world part of it less. It's not bad or anything, it just feels largely superfluous to the things I do enjoy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s some super funny video gamey stuff in this. Not being able to climb up a very gentle slope because Reasons even though I just climbed up a much steeper one. Opening a box and finding a haircut. I love that poo poo

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I opened a box and found a beard, and I put it on immediately.

Also frame rates are much better on the second planet outside of the hub area at least.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

:allears: Surprised there isn't an Andor-themed blaster set

No Bryar pistol is a god drat crime.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1652622026278944768?s=20

This is early on in Koboh, so no big story spoilers. Funny how it’s connected to the same place where the orbs stopped working for me unless I restarted my PS5 before launching the game again.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
drat i love how this game is optimizing every time on a startup and when i load my save the visual settings look like blurry garbage so i have to set everything to low and then back to epic :thumbsup:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s some super funny video gamey stuff in this. Not being able to climb up a very gentle slope because Reasons even though I just climbed up a much steeper one. Opening a box and finding a haircut. I love that poo poo

Cal: "Lot of security here, they really didn't want us getting in."

Loot crate defended by ten rollermines: one goatee.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I really enjoy the game. Cal starts nearly as powerful as he was at the end of Fallen Order, with most of the force powers. The hub world is soooo much better than Bogano, it's crazy. Actual people populating the place? Who knew this would be so much more fun than the empty void of Fallen Order's first planet? I enjoy the random conversations a lot, and the side areas I've explores so far are great. Double light saber style is cool, customizing Cal is great. Fallen Order Cal had an iconic look, but it's so nice to customize him. That cape outfit is just hilarious. And of course, his actor is hot, and you can put Cal into some sexy outfits, which I definitely approve of.

Being able to customize Cal with these battle perks that you have to find/buy and can only equip a finite number of is a very good RPG addition. I think every maxed out Cal in endgame Fallen Order was identical apart from looks, there were no individual choices to be made iirc. And the light saber stances are rad. I have only three unlocked to far, but I love the different combat feel of each of them.

And there are animal mounts, and fast travel, and a lot more little improvements. So far, this game has been an improvement over Fallen Order in every respect to me. I'm sad that some people have these performance issues. To be fair, graphics aren't the best at time, but that hasn't distracted me from enjoying the game one bit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lord Hydronium posted:

If you like your Star Wars with lots of weird little alien guys, this is the game.

Yeah there are some wild alien designs in this. Did they make them for this game or were most already canon?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought this alien was a technical bug lol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

JBP posted:

I thought this alien was a technical bug lol

It's not a bug, it's a creature

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

:haw:

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

:dadjoke:

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

RatHat posted:

Yeah there are some wild alien designs in this. Did they make them for this game or were most already canon?

I love Turgle. It's like they made a jar jar but not terrible.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Turgle romance option when?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Playing on PS5 and while performance is spotty to say the least, the characters are so charming and the exploration so fun that I don’t care. I’ve already got more likeable and endearing characters hanging out in the bar than the ST managed in 3 movies. Kat Fisto bounty hunter lady owns, Zee owns, Mosey owns, the bartender owns, the DJs own, etc.

Plus I have Cal done up like the man, the myth, the legend, Dash Rendar, all sins are forgiven.

SirSamVimes posted:

I love each and every one of these dumbass battle droids.

They are loving wonderful. I found a challenge to survive 150 of the crazy bastards, it was sheer carnage and goofy voices a-go-go.

Also wonderful: going portal crazy with Best Girl Merrin. If the story doesn’t wrap up with her and Cal just chilling and hanging out safe and happy in Jedi Shangri-La or whatever, I will riot. Unless it’s because they’re gonna give us a Merrin game at some point because I would be hella down for Space Witch Adventures, sightseeing the galaxy and helping weird rear end alien folks. The bit where Bode asks if she wants a gun and she pulls out a tiny rear end knife with a “bitch, please” expression…
:allears:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Battle droids are one thing from the prequels I can't believe I don't hate, I was so happy when those dumb little idiots started showing up. Especially the one that's like "love my job guarding this empty cliff face, do de dooo" as you're climbing up it getting ready to jump out and slice him in half :buddy:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Found a rancor with a boss health gauge, beat it on the first attempt (I did need two stims).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wow gently caress this force tear right after you get the ability to deal with green force fields.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RatHat posted:

Most are brand new to this game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I said come in! posted:

I would get so much further in Jedi Survivor if I wasn't stopping all the time to take screenshots lol.

it looks drat great and very little like UE, f.e. SSS shading is great and a lot less wax-figure as typical. Environment looks amazing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
A few questions for you all.

What saber stances are you taking? I always take the normal stance but I can't quite find a second stance that I love. They really should allow you to carry another one or all of them.

Are the cosmetics and perks at the various vendors ONLY found at the shop or are they found elsewhere in the game?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

Battle droids are one thing from the prequels I can't believe I don't hate, I was so happy when those dumb little idiots started showing up. Especially the one that's like "love my job guarding this empty cliff face, do de dooo" as you're climbing up it getting ready to jump out and slice him in half :buddy:

I feel so bad killing the one that's (sadly silently) admiring the rainbow :(

Same with the scout trooper sitting on a wooden platform over a cliff

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Crossguard saber owns bones and feels like using one of the colossal weapons in Elden Ring. You definitely have to be much more cautious about when you take your swings, but it hits so goddamn hard.i get a ton of stance breaks off the saber throw with it.

The upgrade that turns deflected blaster bolts into charged bolts rules too.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yay beat the rancor in only half an hour on normal difficulty I'm so bad at these games lol

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Same with the scout trooper sitting on a wooden platform over a cliff

Don't be. Never feel bad for killing stormtroopers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

When do you start finding hair and beards around the world? I'm just curious if it takes a while or if I've just managed to miss them so far. I've found a number of cool clothing changes, but I really want to find a mullet or something.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

They're all over. I found the full beard and mullet pretty soon after getting to Koboh. Just need to wander across the right chest.

Also there's a vendor that sells a few of them that you get access to pretty early on.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Captain Hygiene posted:

When do you start finding hair and beards around the world? I'm just curious if it takes a while or if I've just managed to miss them so far. I've found a number of cool clothing changes, but I really want to find a mullet or something.
You can start finding them in chests on Koboh, and once you start unlocking shops you can buy them in some of those as well.

Edit: Been rocking this "unemployed college grad backpacking Europe" look:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ah, ok. Well, I'm in that area, but got distracted and ran along on my next mission before looking at the shops - I thought they were all gonna be weapons stuff anyway.