Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

What even is this?
It's an admission that the Crown needs the backing of the people more than the backing of the peers at present. The aristocracy is weak and captured by the bourgeoisie, the people are ambivalent about the monarchy.

It may backfire when the crowds are entirely over 60s and under 10s, but the fact that they're even asking rather than just saying "this is the Lance of Pulchritude, the king is divine ruler now" is a change.

Also probably another thing to culture war over.

OwlFancier posted:

Why do the beefy bois have little swimsuits on their guns?
Covers up that the optics have all been sold to Poland and replaced with smartie tubes painted black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was thinking the grip and the optics are an odd place to put them.

I do wonder if all this stupid old royalty poo poo might put off more people than it pleases. I would like to think that swearing oaths to a loving king is something more people would balk at. If there is a national spirit at all I would hope it is an intrinsic desire to tell someone who puts on airs "gently caress yer nan"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

I'm in favour of worshipping rocks, very old fashioned

Only if there is a naked sacrifice on top of it.

The public just want a quick parade from the palace to church so you can watch otherswave their lovely little flags as they pass, a 1-2 hour service with a bit of flair but not too much, and then pints down the pub or Moonraker on the other channel.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

It's an admission that the Crown needs the backing of the people more than the backing of the peers at present. The aristocracy is weak and captured by the bourgeoisie, the people are ambivalent about the monarchy.

It may backfire when the crowds are entirely over 60s and under 10s, but the fact that they're even asking rather than just saying "this is the Lance of Pulchritude, the king is divine ruler now" is a change.

Also probably another thing to culture war over.

Covers up that the optics have all been sold to Poland and replaced with smartie tubes painted black.

What has struck me about the coronation stuff is how profoundly low effort all of it is. This is an event most people will see one of in their lifetimes (guess we might see two), and there's zero buzz about it.

I think Liz had a lot of love for her because she was a constant. always there, always on the throne. Now we're having to go through all this pagentry for a new monarch (and then again in a few decades) people are reevaluating their relationship with monarchy.

This isn't great for anyone powerful right now. Once people question one established truth they will start to consider others. Once the monarchy is gone, why should we have hereditary peers?

Only way monarchy survives is by getting public on side. Hard to do that in context of a country collapsing all around us without forcing some major reform. Very hard to do *that* when you're a politically neutered head of state.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they go high effort then everyone only has more reason to ask "why the gently caress are we spending all this money on the loving king?" when all the other poo poo is going on.

I think honestly if they wanted to get the public onside they'd need to ditch a bunch of the royal estate and make a big show of doing it for the public good. That of course would piss off a bunch of the commentariat and would fundamentally change the relationship of the royals to the public, as it would be a show of weakness.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Asking the proles to pledge on a personal level looks like a show of weakness though, and they're still doing that.

Like the king didn't traditionally ask every peer to pledge loyalty to prove how good and cool he was, but to prove that he had the majority of the aristocracy on his side. Because if he had more than a tiny number (low enough to call traitors and remove) not then he was traditionally hosed. Best bet is he gets a fairly bloodless coup.

To make the same request to the general public, whose loyalty should be by distant proxy only, does not look like the bold move of a popular king.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His Majesty King Charles III (please clap)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1652372065129824256

:allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Asking the proles to pledge on a personal level looks like a show of weakness though, and they're still doing that.

Like the king didn't traditionally ask every peer to pledge loyalty to prove how good and cool he was, but to prove that he had the majority of the aristocracy on his side. Because if he had more than a tiny number (low enough to call traitors and remove) not then he was traditionally hosed. Best bet is he gets a fairly bloodless coup.

To make the same request to the general public, whose loyalty should be by distant proxy only, does not look like the bold move of a popular king.

I think the difference is that suggesting that people swear their undying loyalty to the house of windsor is still entirely within the realm of "the king is entitled to everything from you and doesn't owe you jack poo poo" whereas actually making material concessions to the country and the people would be a very different thing.

I would interpret asking people to swear loyalty as a demand, not a concession. Which puts it on the side of "why the gently caress are we doing all this poo poo for the king?"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 29, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When they did it with the aristos, if only 10% of them are going to actually say yes then they were a very hosed king.

That's probably not going to be the same case with the public, because we can't raise private armies, but it's not going to say something he likes if it's all just pensioners and the people that came out to protest Gary Lineker.

They keep missing the bit where they have to do something worth getting excited about.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Looking at one switch which says "get rid of the concept of entrenched political parties" and another which says "behead royals" and attempting to mash my hairy forearm over both.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Half the world's royals are going to be at the coronation, this could be a real bumper weekend for small businesses in London who sell guillotines.

The Liquor Snurf
Jul 22, 2021

I am the Liquor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwW8wirfjSc

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

Half the world's royals are going to be at the coronation, this could be a real bumper weekend for small businesses in London who sell guillotines.

Corbyn should show up with a hammer and sickle and challenge the King's Champion for the Divine Right of KingsChairmanship.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Corbyn is too nice for the old man's cider fuelled power. But...

Bah gawd, is that Dennis Skinner with a 2L of Diamond White?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yet another entry for the long, long 'the Labour right are absolute freaks' list:

https://twitter.com/keejayov3/status/1652432632490196996?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/emmadentcoad/status/1651467030728507392?s=20

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Oh yay.... Nazis... more so....

https://twitter.com/SpookyLovejoy/status/1652254984380071941

Their website is very... er... nazi....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hess is a weird case where back in the 80s I remember some strongly anti-nazi people used to say that he was being punished too harshly compared to the number of senior nazis who were just rehabilitated into NATO or CoE roles back in the 50s.

But also like maybe don't try to do a one man nazi peace mission and then claim that your brain was wiped when questioned about it, seems like that's something he could have avoided.

Neo-Nazis calling for human sympathy on the unfairly persecuted is pretty funny though. Thought they were supposed to be the cult of the hero, not the cult of the victim-martyr?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Yet another entry for the long, long 'the Labour right are absolute freaks' list:

You mean that Keith is such a nonentity that his "closest aides" have to make up obviously bullshit stories about him to shop to the press?

Don't get me wrong; the man's a vapid cock with the charisma of a fatberg, but if you can't spot wholly fabricated spin like this, I'd recommend turning your device off for the evening.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 30, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kingturnip posted:

You mean that Keith is such a nonentity that his "closest aides" have to make up obviously bullshit stories about him to shop to the press?

Don't get me wrong; the man's a vapid oval office with the charisma of a fatberg, but if you can't spot wholly fabricated spin like this, I'd recommend turning your device off for the evening.

The point is more that this kind of 'obviously fabricated spin' could only make him look good if you're an absolute psychopath.

Guavanaut posted:

Hess is a weird case where back in the 80s I remember some strongly anti-nazi people used to say that he was being punished too harshly compared to the number of senior nazis who were just rehabilitated into NATO or CoE roles back in the 50s.

But also like maybe don't try to do a one man nazi peace mission and then claim that your brain was wiped when questioned about it, seems like that's something he could have avoided.

Neo-Nazis calling for human sympathy on the unfairly persecuted is pretty funny though. Thought they were supposed to be the cult of the hero, not the cult of the victim-martyr?

Hess did co-author both Mein Kampf and the Nuremberg Laws, so he was about as involved in the buildup to the Final Solution as anyone could get without personally attending the Wannsee Conference (which he only missed because the Brits arrested him a few months earlier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's very hard to tell what fabricated is sometimes because politicians are so far from normal human behaviour that you could basically throw darts to determine whether they're actually doing any deranged thing.

Like even if the story is fake, making up the story is not actually less deranged.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Hess did co-author both Mein Kampf and the Nuremberg Laws, so he was about as involved in the buildup to the Final Solution as anyone could get without personally attending the Wannsee Conference (which he only missed because the Brits arrested him a few months earlier.
Yeah I think he fell between the cracks of being hanged and being given a job at Deutsche Bank, so by the time he eventually did it himself he ended up looking sympathetic by comparison to some of the people who only remembered the peace flight (not that he wasn't a trash heap, but that he made people at the time say "well why was he still in prison when all these other nazis were given cushy jobs to keep them out of nazism?")

BM trying to resurrect him as a martyr 30 odd years later is more than pathetic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the british movement is what you do when sitting on the british throne

or possibly the dad-est dance that has ever existed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

I have a picture of King Charles that I salute whilst crimping out a turd on the shitter
This is the british movement.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

While I can certainly respect "got lightly trampled by cattle, is still alive", I do feel like 65 is a decent age for the Monarch's Champion to cede the role to a 25 year old who is really, really into historical reenactment

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

it might be creepy boosting my sons account, but dont sleep on this, its a banger.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've done my bit of performative patriotism for good king Charlie, I've bought a Coronation Colin

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Marmaduke! posted:

Coronation Colin

KP Skips getting in on the monarchy grift.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Someone’s pointed out that swearing allegiance “to the king and his heirs” is effectively swearing allegiance to a known Nonce. We shall truly become the Paedoph Isles next weekend

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I thought the internationally recognised face of a Briton abroad was a red face, shirtless thumb holding a pint and shouting at a Gibraltar monkey

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Microplastics posted:

the internationally recognised face of a Briton abroad

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Someone round the corner has put Charles where he belongs:

Nearly all the old folk bungalows respect him enough to put a flag up, but not enough to iron it. They ironed their flags for the jubilee!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A pic of some posh totty, the belief that foreigners think the UK is suave, and a dig at the BBC.
Give that hack a raise by god.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 30, 2023

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/man-caught-performing-sex-act-26790560

quote:

A man was caught on camera carrying out a sex act in public while holding a bird against his legs.

David Lee, 40, pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to the herring gull, an offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. It has been branded as 'one of the most unusual' cases by a Magistrates judge.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
lad's been caught with his pecker out

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Edit: more gifts

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 30, 2023

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

There are a few of these round my way, which is looking more like a dementia village than usual. Something about the design of this flag is really early 1980s to me. I think with the bunting and street party vibes going on it kind of reminds me of his wedding back in 81 anyway but the design on that flag absolutely SCREAMS that it was done around that time and just never updated. Gonna be stuff like this on souvenir plates for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Starting a new freeman on the land movement claiming if you don't say the oath on coronation day the police can't arrest you because they work for the crown