Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

My nephew, who looks up to me as his infallible source for all things comic book, wants to know if anyone can identify these characters, the robot/mech looking thing and the mask guys fighting Hawkeye:

https://imgur.com/a/xh98tio

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

nemesis_hub posted:

My nephew, who looks up to me as his infallible source for all things comic book, wants to know if anyone can identify these characters, the robot/mech looking thing and the mask guys fighting Hawkeye:

https://imgur.com/a/xh98tio

Any ideas?

Based on the mask shape and the fact that they're against Hawkeye I feel like the red dudes are some kind of Madame Masque henchmen?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They could be stylized Hellfire guards, maybe? Is this from one of those 5 Minute Storybooks?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Never mind

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 12, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Opopanax posted:

They could be stylized Hellfire guards, maybe? Is this from one of those 5 Minute Storybooks?
It's from the World of Reading 'This is' series, 'This is Kate Bishop: Hawkeye'

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Edit: nvm

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 17, 2023

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Thanks guys, that fits my guess as well. And ya it’s the Kate Bishop book. Heaven help me if he’s not satisfied with my answer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m reading old Spiderman comics and noticed that issue 181 is just a recap of Spiderman’s origin and an introduction to the current supporting cast. I guess it’s because they figured that the readership aged out every so often and the new kids needed a recap. Are there other issues like that? I’d enjoy comparing different takes on a task like that across 20 years or so.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's like every third issue of Spider-Man now

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m reading old Spiderman comics and noticed that issue 181 is just a recap of Spiderman’s origin and an introduction to the current supporting cast. I guess it’s because they figured that the readership aged out every so often and the new kids needed a recap. Are there other issues like that? I’d enjoy comparing different takes on a task like that across 20 years or so.

There used to be a lot like that and I am pretty sure it’s a way to get an issue out monthly

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Yeah, looking on the Marvel wiki, it looks like it was a fill-in between the end of Len Wein's run and the start of Marv Wolfman's. The Dreaded Deadline Doom must have reared its head.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

That usually happened because someone was late. Origin recap was one of the file drawer stories Marvel kept on hand just in case they weren't going to make their deadline.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

During Shooter's tenure he was big on 'every issue is somebody's first' so you'd have a lot of 'since that radioactive spider that bit me that gave me these powers!' Or they'd work in Daredevil's origin when he gets dosed by Mr. Fear's gas or something.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just think of how many times has a old Bruce Wayne relive his mother's pearls falling to the ground.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Every time I go to my local comics shop I see Dejah Thoris comics. Who’s the audience for them? The covers are almost always cheesecake, which suggests young men to me, but the only people who care about John Carter of Mars are above sixty

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If you think old men don't like cheesecake I'd suggest looking at any instagram model's comment section

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
One thing I've noticed with most of the Dynamite comics I've read (and probably the same with Zenoscope) is that any above average art on the cover, cheesecake or otherwise, usually outshines the more pedestrian interior artwork.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Opopanax posted:

If you think old men don't like cheesecake I'd suggest looking at any instagram model's comment section

I’d rather not, but point taken

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thetoughestbean posted:

Every time I go to my local comics shop I see Dejah Thoris comics. Who’s the audience for them? The covers are almost always cheesecake, which suggests young men to me, but the only people who care about John Carter of Mars are above sixty

My time at the comic store taught me older men absolutely eat up at cheesecake covers. As Lou points out it usually seems like the art budget is getting Scott Campbell to do the cover and not for the interior artist.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i refuse to believe people buy those books to open them

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I learned recently that DC has a been doing cheesecake variants. I only know they exist because they showed up on a comic book site I use to cross check prices.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dejah Thoris is kind of the outlier, as the other ones that fall into that camp are like, Vampirella and Red Sonja and they'll usually put in at least a token effort to get a decent creative team on those books, especially on the script end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, Gail Simone had a really good run on Red Sonya, and wrote a large multiverse crossover including Sonya, Vampirella, Dejah Thoris and several other characters I didn't recognize.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Gail Simone had a really good run on Red Sonya, and wrote a large multiverse crossover including Sonya, Vampirella, Dejah Thoris and several other characters I didn't recognize.

Mark Russell wrote it more recently and I liked it a lot even if it occasionally slipped into his more blunt satirical style.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Dejah Thoris is kind of the outlier, as the other ones that fall into that camp are like, Vampirella and Red Sonja and they'll usually put in at least a token effort to get a decent creative team on those books, especially on the script end.

Christopher Priest was writing Vampirella. Was it any good? Not really. I've come to find I can't really take her serious in her traditional outfit - which her fans will raise hell over if you try to modify it - which I realize is probably hypocritical given the costumes of some other heroines in books I enjoy and read.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Grimm Fairy Tales built their entire existence on cheesecake covers. I refuse to believe that anyone has actually read the inside of one of them.

(Now this is the part when someone mentions some kind of amazing storyline that Grimm did, right?)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vandar posted:

Grimm Fairy Tales built their entire existence on cheesecake covers. I refuse to believe that anyone has actually read the inside of one of them.

(Now this is the part when someone mentions some kind of amazing storyline that Grimm did, right?)

I had somebody once swear to me their Robyn Hood character was a good Urban Fantasy type comic. To my eyes it mostly looked like a female Green Arrow in a halter top.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Grimm's been around for so long and has put out so many comics and spin-offs that SURELY there's probably something decent in there. Maybe Robyn Hood is just that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I had somebody once swear to me their Robyn Hood character was a good Urban Fantasy type comic. To my eyes it mostly looked like a female Green Arrow in a halter top.

I mean, the big two have done more with less?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vandar posted:

They're just mediocre horror retellings of fairy tales. No where near as horny as the covers are. And art wise it's clear the publisher spent more on the cover than the 22 pages inside. If it weren't for the covers the only reason not to hand it to your 12 year old nephew/niece is the might think it was boring.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Grimm Fairy Tales does annual swimsuit issues iirc but frankly, were I a horny teen, I’d just buy the Udon Street Fighter swimsuit issues instead. I’d at least know and care about the characters

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why would horny teens need to buy anything? I have to imagine anyone 12-35 has been so thoroughly debauched by the internet that no drawing not on deviantart can do anything for them.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why would horny teens need to buy anything? I have to imagine anyone 12-35 has been so thoroughly debauched by the internet that no drawing not on deviantart can do anything for them.

Consumerism is its own reward

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
What the heck happened with Simon Oliver's run on Hellblazer? He's building up to a bunch of stuff like djinn trying to take over the world, Abigail Arcane being held by them for some reason, and Mercury having special power...then at the end of Issue 12 he 'dies' and the comic just goes 'two months later' and everything is dropped and Constantine swims off and the next issue starts a completely new storyline with Tim Seeley. What happened? Did he get fired?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, I saw this on Twitter and I had a question

https://twitter.com/nebsgoodtakes/status/1657424746005536768?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

I remember seeing a page from a recent Captain America series, Captain America and the Falcon, I think, where Cap is looking through a database of different people acting under the name Captain America throughout the country. I remember Cap knowing about the kid whose in the panels I posted and approving of him. Did this actually happen or am I misremembering? And if someone could post the page in question, I would be very appreciative. Thanks

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lmao I had to look up those panels with America and yeah that's actually real

But to answer your question he first appears and gets anointed in The United States of Captain America 1

site fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 14, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

site posted:

Lmao I had to look up those panels with America and yeah that's actually real

But to answer your question he first appears and gets anointed in The United States of Captain America 1

https://i.imgur.com/5ZZnZWw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iyPmOCC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fziLHXB.jpg

Thanks!

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

:chloe:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I remember there was going to be a New Warriors book that had characters with names like Safespace and Screen time that was panned to poo poo right across the political spectrum. Did that ever actually come out? I seem to recall it was due to launch about March 2020, so it could have easily been memory-holed by the Pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

I remember there was going to be a New Warriors book that had characters with names like Safespace and Screen time that was panned to poo poo right across the political spectrum. Did that ever actually come out? I seem to recall it was due to launch about March 2020, so it could have easily been memory-holed by the Pandemic.

Was never officially cancelled to my knowledge, but yeah, it never came out.

https://www.gamesradar.com/missing-marvel-titles-2020/