Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The amount we on the left bend over backwards to say "well I would never cheer for Disney/please don't misunderstand I hate Disney/gently caress Disney" is quite frankly tiring. They aren't doing anything wrong here, I feel no compunction to make me throttle my support for them as they smother President DeSantis in his crib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

Yawgmoft posted:

The amount we on the left bend over backwards to say "well I would never cheer for Disney/please don't misunderstand I hate Disney/gently caress Disney" is quite frankly tiring. They aren't doing anything wrong here, I feel no compunction to make me throttle my support for them as they smother President DeSantis in his crib.

Yeah, Disney is just transparently in the right here. It is in fact Very Bad for the government to punish businesses for speaking up for LGBT rights.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Disney was not even actively getting in DeSantis' way, he's just a petty local tyrant punching above his weight.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

World Famous W posted:

you actually don't have to give it to giant evil corporations

But enough about both political parties

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I find it somewhat comforting that “woke,” socially aware posturing is advantageous for making money. It shows pretty clearly on which side the majority of the population falls. That’s why Republicans are trying to roll back democracy so hard; it’s never been more obvious that they are a cultural minority.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Yawgmoft posted:

Personally it feels like I shouldn’t be handing it to Disney just because desantis is a moron and pushed them into a win-win situation of doing what’s good for their bottom line as well as getting some good PR out of it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's hard to outright root for Disney but I figure the worst consequences of a Disney victory is that American culture remains a bit too milquetoast and unchallenging and the worst consequences of a DeSantis victory are, well, discussed a lot here

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

haveblue posted:

It's hard to outright root for Disney but I figure the worst consequences of a Disney victory is that American culture remains a bit too milquetoast and unchallenging and the worst consequences of a DeSantis victory are, well, discussed a lot here
This current lawsuit is specifically over the claim that Disney is being targeted for retaliation by the governor, and that this is why they are passing bills targeting Disney only. Mostly this revolves around what used to be called the Reedy Creek Improvement District (RCID) which is the Disney-run group that deals with how Disney's land is managed.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I read an interesting article, and it highlights the disconnect between hard-right GOP politicians and their constituents.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/28/us/montana-governor-son-transgender-bills/index.html

The language used here is so odd, respectful yet sad. It reminds me of the Cheney family, and I hope the children of these politicians keep standing up and pushing back on these policies. Usually Republicans are monsters on issues until it directly affects them, but perhaps LGBTQ+ issues are a bridge too far.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

I read an interesting article, and it highlights the disconnect between hard-right GOP politicians and their constituents.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/28/us/montana-governor-son-transgender-bills/index.html

The language used here is so odd, respectful yet sad. It reminds me of the Cheney family, and I hope the children of these politicians keep standing up and pushing back on these policies. Usually Republicans are monsters on issues until it directly affects them, but perhaps LGBTQ+ issues are a bridge too far.

“Son, we’re inherently superior to those we rule. The laws we pass will never affect us. And if they do, I’m letting you get dragged to the camps.”

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ogmius815 posted:

You’re a huge dumbass. Why are you contributing to a panic? Are you aware of what the FDIC does?

Wow, SomethingAwful still has that much power? I'm impressed.

But seriously, there won't be a bank panic because of individuals with money in it. It will be a bank panic by the rich and powerful who pull their money out first because they already know it's doomed.

Why on earth would you keep any money in a failing business? Granted it's not like a Corporate Gift Card that's going to be useless after a collapse, but moving banks should be straight forward.

And the amount of people defending it is weird.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if your account is below the fdic limit then there's literally no impact on you at all

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

It's extremely important to always remember that corporations are not your friends. Otherwise you start saying stupid things like "Disney is standing up to fascist takeover" and forgetting that they're funding the fascists.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nazis in Columbus stood outside a drag brunch today. What an amazing country. The American dream.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think it's fine to not point out that a multinational corporation is bad at every turn. However, it is important to remember that while Disney is in the right in this particular case, they didn't stand up for poo poo. In the lead up to the passage of Don't Say Gay, they were silent. Only after they were looking at internal turmoil did they say they were totally working behind the scenes to fight this, and they're sorry for not being more vocal. Then when the law passed they put out a statement that essentially boils down to, "Oh, we don't agree with this law."

They were a typical poo poo company trying to not be involved, and when they were essentially forced to stand behind their established branding they did just that. They didn't rally the troops, or threaten to do something. They hoped that the legislature would change their mind or the courts struck it down. And for that, Governor Fuckstick declared Jihad. So Disney was basically backed into a corner where they had to fight the fascist. Not good, but every once in a blue moon the interests of capital and the people oddly align.

So, yay Disney. Go get 'em, champ. I'll refrain from going out of my way to point out you're a dickhead too, in this specific instance where I'm talking about your fight with the Florida Government.

Edit: If we get more full out and proud Nazi protests of Drag Shows and Trans events that would probably help. It'll be absolutely terrible for everyone who is being protested by Nazis, but it's hard for normal right wing idiots to proudly stand shoulder to shoulder with the Nazis and fight "The Woke".

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 30, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Comstar posted:

But seriously, there won't be a bank panic because of individuals with money in it. It will be a bank panic by the rich and powerful who pull their money out first because they already know it's doomed.

Why on earth would you keep any money in a failing business? Granted it's not like a Corporate Gift Card that's going to be useless after a collapse, but moving banks should be straight forward.

This is dumb because the FDIC has made it clear they will cover even uninsured deposits. The only losers are shareholders. If you hold a bank's stock you should certainly get out but as a depositor there's no reason to worry. It might save a bit of headache while the FDIC works out transfership but that's more of an inconvenience than a major concern.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 30, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Comstar posted:

Why on earth would you keep any money in a failing business?

That’s investments, not deposits. The FDIC covers the latter, no one covers the former. Depositing money in a bank account is not investing in it

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Comstar posted:

Others have already pointed out that you don’t seem to know the difference between a deposit and equity, so that’s covered. But I’d also like to add that SVB literally failed because of morons panicking on the internet.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Willa Rogers posted:

Has the use of a particular font, no matter how the public has tied the font to a corporation or corporate usage, ever been declared to be copyright infringement?

I'm pretty sure the courts, to date, have said it's not technically human trafficking, which is why DeSantis & other governors have continued to send migrants to Chicago & New York. (Abbott's been sending so many immigrants to Chicago that police stations are now sheltering them temporarily.)

Besides, with all the migrant children who have been trafficked by the Biden administration, many of whom were forced to work and/or who are now missing, I'm not sure that casting stones against DeSantis' immigrant flights to the Vineyard would be the wisest move at this point in time.

Yeah, that's my whole point. It sucks that no one gives a poo poo about the human trafficking to the point that it's been allowed to continue and the courts look at it and just say "meh, technically not human trafficking" and do gently caress all to stop the situation.

Like I said, there's larger systematic problems.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Morrow posted:

It's pretty decisive that those were not revolutions: those were top down reforms imposed by the federal government after abolitionists/Civil rights activists successfully lobbied and took power through democratic means.
We're talking about a civil war that killed three quarters of a million people in a country of thirty million and completely reordered the economic and political structure. If that doesn't count as a revolution, nothing does.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

No one wants to hear this answer, but Mike Pence.

With the sage advice of Dan Quayle.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

5 dead in Texas 'execution-style' shooting, suspect armed with AR-15 is on the loose

quote:

Police said they believe the massacre occurred after neighbors asked the suspect to stop shooting his gun in the front yard because there was a baby trying to sleep.

i hate it here i hate it here i hate it here i hate it here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jan 6 failed because of the failure of the rioters to understand how the mechanisms of government and exercise of power actually works. Which isn't at all rare on any side of American politics, in fact it's pretty much exactly the narrative from mainstream media and education; worship and fetishisation of procedure, ritual and symbols; liberals aren't the only ones who are paralysed and bamboozled by good ol' :decorum: and wondering why the world doesn't work like it does on the TV. Understanding material conditions is pretty much alien to mainstream politics in the West, deliberately so for various reasons.

It was pretty much a big LARP with real guns, trying to imitate the ideas of revolutionary violence like it's shown on history movies and the news, toppling statues of Saddam Hussein and storming the Bastille and whatever. Seriously, look at the joke of a 'gallows' they made, and they're taking photos and posing like they're a part of history. (Well, not in the way they thought) Of course leftists didn't want any part of that shitshow when fundamentally there's no realistic win condition anyway. The one rioter who actually posed a meaningful threat to officials was immediately shot dead.

Probably one saving grace of the American march to fascism is that most of the fascists are too dumb, deluded and belligerent to realise the cops are their natural allies, and make full use of their other advantages. Though being stupid, deluded and belligerent is still the nature of successful fascists, too...

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 30, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There were organized groups there like proud boys who would have been happy to kill people if the opportunity presented itself.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol

Again, where can they intervene where the cops and fascists won't team up against them? At best the leftists will do all the work and then variously be murdered and arrested by cops and treated as terrorists. Maybe you should look into history about what happened to leftists under Hindenburg.

Maybe the leftists in United States should? Because their current track won't get them anywhere different if the liberal establishment fails as it often does. There are no militant organizing at any level. Hell, you're doing a disservice to leftists under Hindenburg by even comparing them, to be honest. Where is the American RSRG and if that could exist are American leftists really facing bigger threats now?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsbanner_Schwarz-Rot-Gold

Anyway, be it the more ruthless politics or more ruthless preparation outside politics, if you don't even try because of a mythic all-powerful, all-seeing government/cops, you are a self-fulfilling defeatist prophecy and the biggest edge that government/cops have against you. I feel like there has been enough evidence given about them not magically becoming hyper-competent just because they hear the word "left". Literal insane people can say, stockpile guns in the United States.

VorpalBunny posted:

What disconnect? Literally every Republican constituent with LGBTQ+ friends or family members is making the exact same choice of loving them over by continuing to vote for Republicans.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 30, 2023

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Vintersorg posted:

Nazis in Columbus stood outside a drag brunch today. What an amazing country. The American dream.

I like to think groups like this and Patriot Front are just FBI honeypots and nobody is in any real danger from them.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I AM GRANDO posted:

There were organized groups there like proud boys who would have been happy to kill people if the opportunity presented itself.

What ended up stopping them? They broke in, got into some offices… and milled around and walked out.

They didn’t seem any more organized once they smashed a window and climbed in.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Comstar posted:

What ended up stopping them? They broke in, got into some offices… and milled around and walked out.

Did you miss all the evacuations? You seem to not understand much of what happened that day or what their goals were.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Republicans posted:

I like to think groups like this and Patriot Front are just FBI honeypots and nobody is in any real danger from them.

Few groups wants to commit violent crimes like one with an FBI agent inside looking to "take it down". A bunch of nazis without an informant is probably on average less dangerous than one with one inside.

Then again, nazis are right wing so the FBI might just be chillin' with like minded individuals. Maybe just some light offering of supplying weapons instead of fomenting a kidnapping or planning a bombing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Comstar posted:

Organized =/= competent. They absolutely were looking to murder people if they could have gotten their hands on them, but thankfully were too dumb/easily distracted to get to where their various targets were sheltering.

DarkCrawler posted:

Maybe the leftists in United States should? Because their current track won't get them anywhere different if the liberal establishment fails as it often does. There are no militant organizing at any level. Hell, you're doing a disservice to leftists under Hindenburg by even comparing them, to be honest. Where is the American RSRG and if that could exist are American leftists really facing bigger threats now?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsbanner_Schwarz-Rot-Gold

Historical quibble, the Reichsbanner weren't hugely leftist; they generally rose in support of the more centrist (though usually not the actual Center) and center-left parties like the Social Democrats who were (usually) the largest partner in the ruling Weimar coalition until the end. If you want an actual, and really, leftist Weimar street militia you'd look to the Roter Frontkämpferbund, particularly as any actual American equivalent would likely be treated the same by the Democrats as they were by the Social Dems ie: getting banned for being too indecorous/actually leftist.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Edit - sorry I forgot I was eight pages behind the thread, didn't meant to exhume anything.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 30, 2023

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
I think the talk about murdering people was all bluster, as evidenced by the fact that they didn’t murder anyone.

Talking about wanting to murder a politician and actually doing it are far different.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

I think the talk about murdering people was all bluster, as evidenced by the fact that they didn’t murder anyone.

Talking about wanting to murder a politician and actually doing it are far different.
Talking about it, and talking about it and going to a rally (in some cases armed) where you invade the building where the people are, is far different.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

They did kill a capitol police officer, it's not that far of a leap to think they would have also killed a politician had they gotten their hands on one...

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Comstar posted:

They planted pipe bombs my dude

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Historical quibble, the Reichsbanner weren't hugely leftist; they generally rose in support of the more centrist (though usually not the actual Center) and center-left parties like the Social Democrats who were (usually) the largest partner in the ruling Weimar coalition until the end. If you want an actual, and really, leftist Weimar street militia you'd look to the Roter Frontkämpferbund, particularly as any actual American equivalent would likely be treated the same by the Democrats as they were by the Social Dems ie: getting banned for being too indecorous/actually leftist.

Sure, but there isn't anything comparable to that either. At least American leftists should get to the point where they are actually contemplating banning their militant organization instead of whining about how they would ban them if they would try. Even the vacuous liberal equivalents had their own in Hindenburg times.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 30, 2023

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

They evacuated the politicians under armed guard and shoot a rioter in the head in the process of keeping them back. What about that situation made you think the issue was intent not ability?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Jarmak posted:

They evacuated the politicians under armed guard and shoot a rioter in the head in the process of keeping them back. What about that situation made you think the issue was intent not ability?

mostly that jan 6 was more of a riot than anything, disorganized af and everyone there had their own intent. they were riding high on mob energy. so ascribing pretty much any intent to 'Them' is both possible and probably inaccurate.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This is straying a bit into right wing talking points about the insurrectionists. They were absolutely willing to do violence to politicians there and the reason they didn't was that the politicians were under security and the J6ers couldn't get to them. The closest they got was that woman who was shot by security. They went into the building looking for politicians and it was more due to the action of security in the building that they couldn't find any. This is not to say that they didn't want to do violence in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
They were chanting poo poo like "hang pence". There was a huge crowd trying to crush that one cop in a doorway. They had scoped out the building on private tours (aided by fascist members of government) to map out where specific targets would be.

Not sure why you're trying to assert that it's impossible to know what these people intended.