Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Amechwarrior posted:

I wanted to put one of those 3d printed arms from "birds with arms" memes on the CDA but what's posted is already better than what I'd be able to do.

Melee is great when you're bigger. A 50t 'Mech does 5 DMG on a punch and 10 for kicking, that's a free ML and PPC if they land. Also doesn't cost any heat, and punches only hit the upper body (1-in-6 odds of landing the head) if both units are on the same level. A 100t 'Mech can kick as hard as an AC/20 and punch for 10. Head armor only goes up to 9, so an Atlas throwing hands has two 1-in-6 chances for getting to roll for a critical hit on your Head.

But even better is when your elevation is 1 above your target and you get to KICK on the punch table. A 60 ton 'mech will one-shot anything it kicks in the head, a 50 ton 'mech will force a crit roll.
Bonus points if you're attacking from behind for a 50% chance of hitting a rear torso and getting to crit roll on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scintilla posted:

I imagine it having Slenderman-style long arms and fingers.

When it reaches melee range, it doesn't punch its enemies. It just reaches out and... strokes them. Very gently.

Highly disturbing :catstare:

Remmon posted:

But even better is when your elevation is 1 above your target and you get to KICK on the punch table. A 60 ton 'mech will one-shot anything it kicks in the head, a 50 ton 'mech will force a crit roll.
Bonus points if you're attacking from behind for a 50% chance of hitting a rear torso and getting to crit roll on that.

Curbstomping for the commonwealth

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Remmon posted:

CF last battle, where we straight up cored a light mech this way.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Remmon posted:

AJ_Impy posted:

CF last battle, where we straight up cored a light mech this way.

yeah i was gonna say we had that last battle

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Remmon posted:

I just wish they never changed Hatchet attacks to use the full body table and kept it as punch tables. Maybe with TSM and other new tech it became too lethal?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah combining that with TSM would have been absolutely loving bonkers

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Scintilla posted:

When it reaches melee range, it doesn't punch its enemies. It just reaches out and... strokes them. Very gently.

drat, and I thought your description of infantry getting slaughtered was harrowing; this is something else. Filename is appropriate here.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

behold

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good lord

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Featherless: ✅
Biped: ✅

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Scintilla posted:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

You can't post the gif without also posting the second time it happens.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

also this didnt get emptyquoted enough

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Great stuff! Reminds me of Zoofights and its insistence on adding Big Muscly Arms to everything. Anyway, these pictures are too good to let languish in the depths of the thread, so I've added them to the OP.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Remmon posted:

I always have this picture in mind when I think of that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like how the lrm launcher is empty, nice attention to detail

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Koorisch posted:

I always have this picture in mind when I think of that.

Nice.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I went looking for the justice foot smiley, but I think it got ate like much of the fan art in the original PTN LP.

This one, however? Still there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's the one on the middle right there? A sunder?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I think it's an original mech that came from PTN's thread but it's been a while so I might be wrong.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

It's an Orion, if I remember the scenario.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

L to R: Ostroc, Gladiator, Orion, Awesome

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

1st Regulan Hussars' legendary Rolling Thunder company led by Captain Paul Masters in the Orion.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Defiance Industries posted:

I went looking for the justice foot smiley, but I think it got ate like much of the fan art in the original PTN LP.

This one, however? Still there.

Saving Janos Marik, right? That was a cool mission. Storming the docks during a thunderstorm, Gauss-equipped UrbanMechs, and that goddamn Bombardier laying into everyone.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Over The Hills: Turn 6

Enemy fire exploded around Mike’s Vulcan as he charged into the heart of the Prowlers’ formation. The pirates had clustered up in an effort to protect the damaged Cicada, but the broken terrain left plenty of gaps for him to exploit. As soon as he was in range he turned and fired all four of his Vulcan’s Medium Lasers at the Commando’s unprotected back, aiming for the hole Tsing had opened seconds earlier. One good hit and he could split the venerable Lyran design clean in half.

Unfortunately, it was not to be. The Prowler Commando turned at the last moment, causing half of Mike’s shots to miss. Mike felt a surge of hope as one of the remainder burned a groove into the mech’s domed head, but the shallow angle meant it wasn’t decisive. The Commando returned fire with its Large Laser, but the blow to the head fouled the pilot’s aim and the beam flashed up into the sky.

“Lucky devil,” Mike growled, raising his mech’s arms. The Vulcan lacked hands, but that didn’t mean it couldn’t pummel a lighter mech into scrap metal. “Let’s see how you handle this!”

As Mike prepared to take a swing at the Commando his Vulcan’s proximity alarm suddenly shrieked. Distracted, he looked up to see the pirate Cicada surging towards him. Mike cursed; he’d assumed that mech was too damaged to risk close combat. Before he could defend himself the Cicada delivered a vicious kick to his Vulcan’s right leg, shattering armour and rocking the entire mech back on its feet.

“I’m going down!” Mike exclaimed, knowing from experience that his gyro couldn’t handle such a sudden shock. Instinctively, he shifted in his command couch, trying to pivot so that his Vulcan fell on its back rather than its front. A backwards fall was slightly safer; he wouldn’t be thrown against his restraints, and the mech would absorb a bit more of the impact.

Pain blossomed across Mike’s back as his mech hit the ground, but it was a short, sharp jolt rather than the deeper, more prolonged agony of a serious injury. He gritted his teeth and braced for a follow-up, but the Cicada simply bounded away.

“You okay there, boss?” Tsing chirped.

Mike rolled his eyes. “Just suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Seriously, would somebody please kill that loving bug.”

Weapons fire for Jenner JR7-F (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-3V (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Cicada CDA-3C (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Cicada CDA-3C (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Rear Right Torso! Cicada CDA-3C (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Rear Right Torso, 3/10 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Right Torso! No critical hits sustained.
-Fires Machine Gun at Cicada CDA-3C (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Cicada CDA-3C (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Vulcan VL-5T (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Left Arm! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 5 to 2! Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) takes 2 damage to Left Arm, 2/4 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Head! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 5 to 2! Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) takes 2 damage to Head, 4/6 Armour remaining. Pilot Hit!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Cicada CDA-3C (Prowlers):
-Fires PPC at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Commando COM-1D (Prowlers):
-Fires Large Laser at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 12, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 10, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Scorpion (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Fires AC/5 at Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player); needs 10, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Foot Platoon (Laser) (Prowlers):
-Fires Laser Rifles at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Foot Platoon (Laser) #2 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Physical attacks for Vulcan VL-5T (Player):
-Punches Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) with Left Arm; needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Punches Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) with Right Arm; needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!

--

Physical attacks for Cicada CDA-3C (Prowlers):
-Kicks Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Right Leg! Vulcan VL-5T (Player) takes 8 damage to Right Leg, 6/14 Armour remaining.

Jenner JR7-F (Player) gains 5 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Locust LCT-3V (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Vulcan VL-5T (Player) gains 14 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 2 heat.

--

Cicada CDA-3C (Prowlers) gains 11 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 9 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Piloting checks for Vulcan VL-5T (Player):
Was Kicked: needs 5, rolls 4; Fails!
-Vulcan VL-5T (Player) falls on its rear, suffering 4 damage.
--Vulcan VL-5T (Player) takes 4 damage to Rear Centre Torso, 2/6 Armour Remaining.
---Mike Clements must roll a 5 to avoid a Pilot Hit; rolls 6: Succeeds!

--

Cletus West (Commando COM-1D) has taken 1 damage this turn! Cletus West must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
-(Pilot) must roll a 3+ to remain conscious! Rolls 9: Succeeds!

--

Stray weapons fire from Scorpion (Standard) (Prowlers) has a chance to start a fire in Hex 1814!
-AC/5: Checking for accidental fire; needs 3 or below, rolls 7: No fire.

Cicada CDA-3C (Prowlers) is running with a damaged Gyro – must pass a piloting test or fall! Needs 8, rolls 8: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Sprint: Infantry can move two hexes in one turn in exchange for not being able to fire.
-Dig In: Infantry can dig in, removing the defence penalty for being caught in the open.

Primary Objectives:
-Capture Pirate Base (1/8 Enemies Destroyed / Driven Off)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 2nd, 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 30, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Well thAaat isn’t great

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:mad:

Narrow Profile :argh:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 30, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
What Narrow Profile giveth, it also taketh away. Seriously though, those were some unlucky rolls.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mirage, how do you feel about trying to do the same to the COM? You can walk to its back.

Scintilla posted:

What Narrow Profile giveth, it also taketh away. Seriously though, those were some unlucky rolls.

Maybe I should have been playing craps all this time...

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Wow, well :xcom:

That CDA has been crazy lucky rolling 8s to not fall over. We've been fortunate enough to only take big hits to the well armored legs of the Vulcan.

I can get behind the CDA in 1708 and alpha at short range for everything this time.

Between Mirage and Prime, you guys have to choose who gets 1311 on the COM. Prime can get there and maintain a +3 with a little work. But if you want really good odds Mirage can Walk there for 7MP and roll 7s. However that's just +2 for defense. For rolling 8s, 1410 and 1510 give Mirage the same rear shot but 1510 moves you closer to the CDA and Scorpion, worsening their minimum range problems. But the Infantry would need about 7 for either Hex. 1511 is also an option.

Razor, oof. You can't jump. Getting up costs two MP. You probably want to submit your plan if you get up on the first try, and also submit a second plan should that fail and you fall again, and need to get up a second time. When standing up, you get to declare your facing for free. You could reach 1807 but it's not a rear shot and you're only at +2 in total defense. But with the map we have, you can't traverse 7 Hexes after standing anyway. If you have to try and stand twice, just move somewhere safe like to the right down in the ditch and jump out next turn.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is punching +1 heat each? I thought I was going to be heat neutral this turn.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

Is punching +1 heat each? I thought I was going to be heat neutral this turn.

Running generates +2 heat, so that and firing 4 Medium Lasers pushed you to +14.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is all damage halved with narrow profile? moving to 1311 but it probably means I'll finish the turn without a right torso

amechwarrior you might be best going to 1808 and trying to finish the cicada or attacking the stinger from there. return fire shouldn't be too bad

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

ilmucche posted:

Is all damage halved with narrow profile?

All direct fire weapon damage is halved. Melee damage is applied as usual.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Is all damage halved with narrow profile? moving to 1311 but it probably means I'll finish the turn without a right torso

amechwarrior you might be best going to 1808 and trying to finish the cicada or attacking the stinger from there. return fire shouldn't be too bad

Can I not reach 1708? What does 1808 give me? It's the same range for the infantry but at least my MGs are in short range.

If you want to be safe and still dump everything in the COM, 1511, 1510 and 1410 give you 8s and maintain your +3 defense. Also, you can end your turn facing North (as could Prime) to present your front towards enemy. Basically everyone ran, so they'd be rolling 9s except the infantry for either 7 or 9 depending on range.

This also leaves 1311 open for Prime for short range MG shots. So it's a trade - 4x MLs needing 7s and Prime adding in 2 ML for 8 and 2 MG for 10, at the cost of risking the Jenner to focused fire (CDA would need 8) or stay safe by everyone maintaining +3 and you possibly pushing into min. range for 6x ML and 2 MGs all at 8s at the COM. That or you can get to 1510 and just toss everything at the CDA (left arc shots) to help finish it.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

just noticed "mood: justifiably worried" on the dead galleon, lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Amechwarrior posted:

Can I not reach 1708? What does 1808 give me? It's the same range for the infantry but at least my MGs are in short range.

If you want to be safe and still dump everything in the COM, 1511, 1510 and 1410 give you 8s and maintain your +3 defense. Also, you can end your turn facing North (as could Prime) to present your front towards enemy. Basically everyone ran, so they'd be rolling 9s except the infantry for either 7 or 9 depending on range.

This also leaves 1311 open for Prime for short range MG shots. So it's a trade - 4x MLs needing 7s and Prime adding in 2 ML for 8 and 2 MG for 10, at the cost of risking the Jenner to focused fire (CDA would need 8) or stay safe by everyone maintaining +3 and you possibly pushing into min. range for 6x ML and 2 MGs all at 8s at the COM. That or you can get to 1510 and just toss everything at the CDA (left arc shots) to help finish it.

You can reach 1708, but I was thinking about the torso twist from the stinger. if you're 1808 it can only punch or hit you with a machine gun, getting into the back of it opens it up to twisting and hitting with an ML as well, and puts you close to the other units on the field for the same TMM. Does knock 1 off the to-hit of your MGs though.

Not sure really what our best options are, they've set themselves up pretty well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think playing it safe is a better play overall with the cda still risking bonk on every run

But going blindly into danger is in character for my pilot, sooo

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Locked in move to 1807

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If my MP math is right, I can reach 1311 via 1411 facing NW which also gets me to r7