Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Unreleased Hot Rats sequel is coming out in a month, definitely got me intrigued enough to pre-order. Enjoy this incredibly long URL

https://www.zappa.com/frank-zappas-...w-collection/#/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You had to go and remind me that I once owned a minty-as-hell copy of Hot Rats that was part of a huge collection my dad bought out of a storage unit and sold to me. I sold off 99% of that collection over a year, all really cool albums with a lot of fusion and prog rock and all in mint condition.

I wish I would've kept most of it, but at least I didn't have to take it with me when I moved so there's that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I bought a Grado Green cartridge for my turntable and it sounds great. It's unshielded though and I think I'm having a problem with static buildup. I'm getting a loud pop about every fifteen seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VaJ5q-pvU

It happens consistently on different records, and goes away if I put my old cartridge back in. I haven't experimented with different sleeves though, to see if records stored in antistatic sleeves are better.

Has anybody ever used a Milty Zerostat gun? It looks like a toy and sounds like snake oil but people seem to swear by it.

This is such a ridiculous hobby.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I’ve not used a zerostat with records, but they’re moderately effective at helping small pieces of heat shrink not stick to each other and everything else. When they’re not broken that is. However, for home use you probably won’t have dozens of people who don’t care about not breaking them using them everyday.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Zerostats are legit, but I don't know how effective they would be for your problem. Out of curiosity, are both channels popping or is it only one side?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I don't think that's a problem a Zerostat is going to fix. Hard to say what it is but I assume poor grounding somewhere in the chain.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Too lazy to take pics but I just got this and it is some great rear end video game music on pretty vinyls.

https://twitter.com/manawavemedia/status/1643629817261350912

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bigman.50grand posted:

Zerostats are legit, but I don't know how effective they would be for your problem. Out of curiosity, are both channels popping or is it only one side?

It's both channels, and it goes away if I swap out the cartridge. I'm not sure what else it could be.

The turntable has a good ground into the amp so I don't think that's it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I spotted a familiar face at Dollar General.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
is the price of the Garth Brooks boxset the most reliable indicator of the economy right now?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I been hacked.
all my garths gone

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Enos Cabell posted:

Unreleased Hot Rats sequel is coming out in a month, definitely got me intrigued enough to pre-order. Enjoy this incredibly long URL

https://www.zappa.com/frank-zappas-...w-collection/#/

The man has been dead for like 30 years and we're still getting multiple new studio outtake releases a year.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

TrixRabbi posted:

The man has been dead for like 30 years and we're still getting multiple new studio outtake releases a year.

Pretty sure all he did was smoke cigarettes and record poo poo.

Hey y'all. I threw a little mix together for (European) 45 Day.

You can hear it here
https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/moss-appeal-mix-for-45-day-2023/

Info on the day.
https://fortyfiveday.com/

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

CornHolio posted:

So I bought a Grado Green cartridge for my turntable and it sounds great. It's unshielded though and I think I'm having a problem with static buildup. I'm getting a loud pop about every fifteen seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VaJ5q-pvU

It happens consistently on different records, and goes away if I put my old cartridge back in. I haven't experimented with different sleeves though, to see if records stored in antistatic sleeves are better.

Has anybody ever used a Milty Zerostat gun? It looks like a toy and sounds like snake oil but people seem to swear by it.

This is such a ridiculous hobby.

Zerostat guns are great.

The issue is being forced to use it the every time you dry brush a record.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

is the price of the Garth Brooks boxset the most reliable indicator of the economy right now?

Thanks a lot, Joe Biden.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Apparently I paid that much for all three sets haha. I am currently using the Bowie Box set to try and calm down a big warp on my RTJ Cuatro. My replacement copy has the same rolling warp on disc two as the original one I got. drat these modern pressings.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

sporklift posted:

Apparently I paid that much for all three sets haha. I am currently using the Bowie Box set to try and calm down a big warp on my RTJ Cuatro. My replacement copy has the same rolling warp on disc two as the original one I got. drat these modern pressings.

Huh, wonder if mine has it too? I definitely don't notice warps as often as I should. :ohdear:

Mr E posted:

Good Kid, M.A.A.D City.

Nice, I just grabbed this one too a couple weekends ago! "The Art of Peer Pressure" gives me the best kind of chills, highly recommend that song to anyone who enjoys rap that makes 'em feel a little eerie.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Double its amazon price, so perfectly priced for Dollar General.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

CornHolio posted:

It's both channels, and it goes away if I swap out the cartridge. I'm not sure what else it could be.

Double check the green and black wires coming off of the Grado to make sure they are properly secured to the connection in the tonearm. If they are, then you'll either need to do some crazy grounding mod to your turntable or return the Grado for something with better shielding. Maybe it's a bad cartridge?

I'm guessing the cartridge itself is building static charge during playback after watching your video. Not the vinyl. The intermittent pop you're hearing is essentially doing the same thing a Zerostat does, releasing static build up. I don't think a Zerostat will help since the issue is with the cartridge and not the vinyl.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Thrill Jockey continues to remaster Pelican's old LPs so if you like post-rock / post-metal be sure to grab em because so far the two they've done ("Australasia" and "City of Echoes") have kicked a ton of rear end:

https://thrilljockey.com/artists/pelican

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

That pop is way too loud. I had a Grado black for the longest time that worked fine, no popping. I would definitely check if you could get a replacement cartridge because that’s not normal.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm more of a fan of pre-post-rock.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bigman.50grand posted:

Double check the green and black wires coming off of the Grado to make sure they are properly secured to the connection in the tonearm. If they are, then you'll either need to do some crazy grounding mod to your turntable or return the Grado for something with better shielding. Maybe it's a bad cartridge?

I'm guessing the cartridge itself is building static charge during playback after watching your video. Not the vinyl. The intermittent pop you're hearing is essentially doing the same thing a Zerostat does, releasing static build up. I don't think a Zerostat will help since the issue is with the cartridge and not the vinyl.

This is a T4P P-mount, so there aren't any wires. It's a four pin socket.

VladimirLeninpest posted:

That pop is way too loud. I had a Grado black for the longest time that worked fine, no popping. I would definitely check if you could get a replacement cartridge because that’s not normal.

I think it's louder in the video than in real life, but it's loud enough to be really noticeable. It sounds like it's hitting a large piece of hair or something on the record.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat, what a find in a store in Regina. Visiting some friends here and I find this OOP album for only $40.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Vintersorg posted:

drat, what a find in a store in Regina. Visiting some friends here and I find this OOP album for only $40.

Oh wow, the original version! I'm very jealous, I had to settle for the new recording without samples.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Read After Burning posted:

A few sold out basically instantly, but LitA has some Tatsuro Yamashita (king of city pop!) represses:

https://lightintheattic.net/shelves/Tatsuro%20Yamashita

Bummed I missed For You, but I did snag Greatest Hits and Moonglow. :3: Fingers crossed that Circus Town will still be around on Monday when I get paid!

These are still up for preorder at HMV Japan, I preordered For You and S P A C Y , with shipping was 12,000 yen/$88, which is still less than preordering from LitA.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Found a really good copy of Sticky Fingers today with the zipper cover and the guy at the store was telling me how his dad has a copy and is thoroughly convinced it's the most valuable record in the world.

"It's never been unzipped! Son, someday this will be yours."

Also managed to grab Melt-Banana's Charlie for a nice $20, and got some Ceremony, AJJ, This Bike is a Pipe Bomb, Francoise Hardy and threw in Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell cause my fiance loves it and I didn't have a copy already somehow.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Also managed to grab Melt-Banana's Charlie for a nice $20
Seems a little pricey, but I haven't been into a record store in a long time. Melt-Banana runs their own label, starting with that album, and seems pretty good about keeping their stuff in print and affordable. Scratch or Stitch is the only exception. Just FYI, not being judgmental!!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Arcella posted:

These are still up for preorder at HMV Japan, I preordered For You and S P A C Y , with shipping was 12,000 yen/$88, which is still less than preordering from LitA.

Thank you, pal! :cheers: I often manage to forget to check HMV Japan as a source for city pop.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Here’s the rest of the haul today.

Jens Lenkman - “Night Falls Over Kortedala”
Marshall Tucker Band - “Carolina Dreams”
Abba - “Voulez-Vous”
Dolly Parton - “Here You Come Again”
The Jam - “The Gift”

Pretty huge store in Regina, SK - Vintage Vinyl & Hemp Emporium. Could have spent way more time digging. Fair prices on everything - original Canadian prints. Some Rush stuff at $75. They had an original Soundgarden “Down on the Upside” from 96 but it was $120 and apparently warped a bit.

Visited another place called X-Ray Records nearby which had a lot of new stuff but was way overpriced. Back home in Winnipeg I go to Into the Music and for the same rerelease of Metallicas “Ride the Lightning” it was $22 at home and $37 at this store in Regina. The owner jacked everything up after I kept digging in the metal section.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Vintersorg posted:

it was $22 at home and $37 at this store in Regina. The owner jacked everything up after I kept digging in the metal section.

Wait what

Like he came through and repriced poo poo or at the checkout he said "actually it's this much" or what?

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Vintersorg posted:

Here’s the rest of the haul today.

Jens Lenkman - “Night Falls Over Kortedala”
Marshall Tucker Band - “Carolina Dreams”
Abba - “Voulez-Vous”
Dolly Parton - “Here You Come Again”
The Jam - “The Gift”

Pretty huge store in Regina, SK - Vintage Vinyl & Hemp Emporium. Could have spent way more time digging. Fair prices on everything - original Canadian prints. Some Rush stuff at $75. They had an original Soundgarden “Down on the Upside” from 96 but it was $120 and apparently warped a bit.

Visited another place called X-Ray Records nearby which had a lot of new stuff but was way overpriced. Back home in Winnipeg I go to Into the Music and for the same rerelease of Metallicas “Ride the Lightning” it was $22 at home and $37 at this store in Regina. The owner jacked everything up after I kept digging in the metal section.

Did they have any Streetheart? I’m only half joking

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

pwn posted:

Wait what

Like he came through and repriced poo poo or at the checkout he said "actually it's this much" or what?

In Winnipeg st the store I go to the Metallica albums are $22.

Here in Regina the same album is $37z

So this store is over priced and I didn’t buy anything cause I need I’d be getting ripped off.

Also yes, they had Streetheart lol I think I have some in my collection too that I inherited. :3:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Ordered the deluxe edition box set of Wilco's Summerteeth on vinyl from a third party vendor, received the We Came As Romans Complete Collection box set.

:negative:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Did an all vinyl show at the radio station this week.

Had to re-record like 95% of it with my home system though as one turntable had a busted needle and the other one had a horrifically misaligned cartridge.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Was fortunate enough to be sent to Seattle for work recently, quickly became clear that I "get along" with that town, spent a fantastic week in indie clubs/pubs, including checking out Megadeth (Dave Mustine's craziness be damned). Managed to get to a few stores, here's what I managed to cram into my carry-on to bring back to the east coast.

1st up was "Wall Of Sound", really cool store. - http://www.wosound.com/

Couple of garage compilations

Long Hot Summer - Friday At The Cage A Go Go
Thee Unheard Of - 16 Unknown & Unreleased Garage Acetates From Michigan

Takashi Kokubo & Andrea Esperti – Music For A Cosmic Garden

2nd Store : Light In The Attic pop-up store on the ground floor of KEXP Radio.

Picked up Power Trip (above), and these...

Some RSD stuff

Thread favourite, Pacific Breeze comps, I've long wanted these but could never pull the trigger on the shipping costs to Toronto. Shame they didn't have the 2nd in stock, but I'll see it one day!

3rd Store was, of course, Sub-Pop.

I had to call it after this, I have a pretty small carry on and I'm shocked I got this home with minimal damage!

Bonus pic of Bullet For My Valentine and Megadeth

..I'll be off to Denver soon, I'd love recommendations!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

midge posted:

Was fortunate enough to be sent to Seattle for work recently, quickly became clear that I "get along" with that town, spent a fantastic week in indie clubs/pubs, including checking out Megadeth (Dave Mustine's craziness be damned). Managed to get to a few stores, here's what I managed to cram into my carry-on to bring back to the east coast.

1st up was "Wall Of Sound", really cool store. - http://www.wosound.com/

Couple of garage compilations

Long Hot Summer - Friday At The Cage A Go Go
Thee Unheard Of - 16 Unknown & Unreleased Garage Acetates From Michigan

Takashi Kokubo & Andrea Esperti – Music For A Cosmic Garden

2nd Store : Light In The Attic pop-up store on the ground floor of KEXP Radio.

Picked up Power Trip (above), and these...

Some RSD stuff

Thread favourite, Pacific Breeze comps, I've long wanted these but could never pull the trigger on the shipping costs to Toronto. Shame they didn't have the 2nd in stock, but I'll see it one day!

3rd Store was, of course, Sub-Pop.

I had to call it after this, I have a pretty small carry on and I'm shocked I got this home with minimal damage!

Bonus pic of Bullet For My Valentine and Megadeth

..I'll be off to Denver soon, I'd love recommendations!

Looks like you had a great trip! For Denver the only record shop I am familiar with is Wax Trax Records, lots of great stuff there. They have two shops next to each other, one is all vinyl and the other is CDs I believe. There's a cool comic and book shop really close by called Kilgore Books & Comics. If you like vegan food I'd also recommend checking out City O' City. I eat meat but they have some really good coffee and food. At night the place turns into a metal bar, at least they did last time I went.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Saw The Sonder Bombs in Detroit last night and grabbed a copy of their first album Modern Female Rock Star and I got it signed by the band.

The band was super nice, especially Willow the lead singer.

Their previous show was in Chicago and their catalytic converter got stolen.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Ok, this wonderful gem of album cover popped up, and one of my friends would very much like to hear the audio of it. We've been digging a bit on the internet and it just does not seem to exist anywhere. nobody's ripped the audio, there isn't even a single copy on ebay. i very much doubt anyone knows where to find this uh "Masterpiece" but if you do, let me know :v:

the album in question is this:

It just amuses me to no end to have james mason, well known uh...advertiser of thunderbird (look the commercial up on youtube, it's something alright.) smoking on the cover of an album for very small children. he's got a very distinct voice, and it would be a hoot to hear him along with the chipmunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

midge posted:

Sonic Boom and Amazon.ca stock/have stocked the Pacific Breeze sets!