Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

reversefungi posted:

Stupid question time: Spring has snuck up on me a little earlier than I would have expected and I'm realizing I need to get my winter tires off. I'm expecting a small windfall in early May that I was hoping to use towards getting new summers + wheels. Will I be putting a non-trivial amount of wear on my winters if I keep driving them for about another 3 weeks? Temperatures look to be staying in the 60s with 2 days in the 80s next week, after having just snowed on Tuesday. I don't do a ton of driving (no daily commute, just small errands around town mostly), if that helps.

You'll be fine if you do little driving. Even if you do a lot of driving it can vary a lot depending on the tire. I wouldn't want to run Blizzak WS80's when it's warm but the X-ice snows I have had on my Prius got run for about a year and a half straight and probably have 20k+ miles on them and there's still a decent amount of tread left.

I'm shocked at how good the X-ice snows are. No noticeable mileage hit from them, great snow performance, outstanding wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

reversefungi posted:

Stupid question time: Spring has snuck up on me a little earlier than I would have expected and I'm realizing I need to get my winter tires off. I'm expecting a small windfall in early May that I was hoping to use towards getting new summers + wheels. Will I be putting a non-trivial amount of wear on my winters if I keep driving them for about another 3 weeks? Temperatures look to be staying in the 60s with 2 days in the 80s next week, after having just snowed on Tuesday. I don't do a ton of driving (no daily commute, just small errands around town mostly), if that helps.

No. I run winter tires in nice weather a lot more than I would like and as long as you're not beating the gently caress out of them you'll still probably run out of time before you wear down the tread.

edit: to glom onto the above, the tires I've run on several cars have been X-Ice3's and they've been great. Never really chose them on purpose, they were just what was cheapest at the time and I've been very happy.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
You'll be fine for another 3 weeks. They might feel mushy when it's in the 80's, but that's about it. I usually leave my WinterContacts on until mid-April, and they're forecasting 70's this next week after we got blasted with 8" of snow a week and change ago. I commute around 40 miles a day, and my 6 year old tires still have 2/3 of the tread left, and I'm not exactly gentle on them.

That being said, even being in the frozen northland we have a crapload of people who wait until November to get their winter tires on, and then get all psycho to get them off in March because they don't want to wear them out. My people, that's what they're FOR. Put them on mid-October, off mid-April. Don't wait in the fall until you're competing with all the assholes who waited until November to replace their bald rear end tires.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm looking for a new set of tires for my 2018 Civic Si. I have a set of winter tires so I was thinking about getting summers instead of another set of all seasons for the warmer months. It's a daily driver, mostly highway and city, not too much spirited driving or any autocross/track. I'm not sure where to start looking. Initially I was thinking Pilot Sport 4S but I'm thinking that might be too much tire for my uses. I saw that Firestone Firehawks were on sale at Costco. They seemed more like what I was looking for, based on reviews.

EDIT:

I saw some issues with tread wearing out quickly on some summer tires. I don't drive much, maybe ~5,000 miles a year but I can't afford to be swapping out tires every few years. I think those were on potentza tires though.

I also get an okay amount of rain in my area so grip when it's wet is important too.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 8, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Assuming these are the original tires that came with the car, you probably shouldn’t be keeping tires more than five or six years anyway.

The Michelin pilot sport A/S 3 is a nice all/three season version of the pilot sport. Might be a good fit for you. The true PS4s is going to wear pretty quickly.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

PS4s should easily last 25-30k miles for someone whose use will be "not too much spirited driving or any autocross/track."

At 5k mi/yr that's 5-6 years from a set. You don't want tires to get too much older than that before you replace them anyway.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks all, I'll hold out for another few weeks in that case before buying my summers. I'm running Vredestein Wintrac Pros if that changes anything

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I'd probably run the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or 4 versus the summer Pilot Sports. Summer tires will give you pretty obscene amounts of dry grip, but the all seasons are probably 90% of the dry grip with significantly better wet grip, and the option of having some snow/cold capability if you happen to get caught in an early/late cold snap.

Pretty much any high performance all seasons will give you all the dry grip you can handle. They'll be a little firmer of a ride than a touring a/s tire though.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Michelin has revealed the successor to the PS4S and name change. The new tires are called the Pilot Sport S 5. The new branding strategy is Brand (Michelin), Family Name (Pilot Sport), Performance Qualifier (S), Generation (5). However, it’s for OEMs only. Michelin said that the PS4S will be replaced by a new product.

https://youtu.be/gtWbjC4CQzE

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Michelin will be on sale at Costco soon and Bridgestone is on promo now. Wife's car has a set of winters already and will need new tires for her "rest of year" wheels. What should I put on her outback? I'm thinking whatever they have for cheapish is probably sufficient. I know the Bridgestone will be cheaper but not sure if there's anything to actively avoid.

No spirited driving, just commuting really. Michigan so poo poo roads and it's pothole season.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 8, 2023

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

PitViper posted:

I'd probably run the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or 4 versus the summer Pilot Sports. Summer tires will give you pretty obscene amounts of dry grip, but the all seasons are probably 90% of the dry grip with significantly better wet grip, and the option of having some snow/cold capability if you happen to get caught in an early/late cold snap.

Pretty much any high performance all seasons will give you all the dry grip you can handle. They'll be a little firmer of a ride than a touring a/s tire though.

I’ve had PSAS3’s and 4’s and they’re reallllllllllllly awesome. I’ve also had PSS’s and PS4s’s and they’re definitely grippier and more aggressive, but the Pilot sport all-seasons are seriously killer tires and easily the best compromise tire by a wide margin.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Michelin will be on sale at Costco soon and Bridgestone is on promo now. Wife's car has a set of winters already and will need new tires for her "rest of year" wheels. What should I put on her outback? I'm thinking whatever they have for cheapish is probably sufficient. I know the Bridgestone will be cheaper but not sure if there's anything to actively avoid.

No spirited driving, just commuting really. Michigan so poo poo roads and it's pothole season.

I loved the Bridgestone QuietTracks I had on my Kia, did well in the winter and were quiet and civilized the rest of the year.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm thinking whatever they have for cheapish is probably sufficient.

I suggest you reconsider this. Tires are fundamental safety gear. If you ever need to make a panic stop, better tires might be the difference between hitting something and stopping short, or repairable damage and having your car totaled out.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I suggest you reconsider this. Tires are fundamental safety gear. If you ever need to make a panic stop, better tires might be the difference between hitting something and stopping short, or repairable damage and having your car totaled out.

Sure, but the cheapest tires at Costco are still pretty decent.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Exactly. I'm not buying Chinese no name tires or something. I went with the Bridgestone alenza ultra since they seemed to have better reviews than the michelins that were about the same price.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I went from PS3AS to PS4S on the E38 last year, the difference in dry grip is significant, the difference in wet grip is absolutely massive. PS4S wet grip is phenomenal. TBD how long they last for me, I have them on heavy, elderly BMWs and I drive like a BMW owner, but neither of them are my daily right now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alarbus posted:

This is worth reiterating. Costco only usually has two or three options for any given tire size and the cheapest option they have is still a good major-manufacturer tire.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Anyone ever use Costco's road hazard warranty? I rotate my tires myself and worry about them denying because I don't keep receipts beyond writing it in a log. Never had issues with Tirerack or Firestone (latter is $$$ on top)

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I'm putting new tires on a car for the first time in 5 years, so I'm a little behind. I used to go with Continental ExtremeContact DWS and liked them. The thread favorite seems to be the Pilot Sport A/S line, which is a little more expensive and slightly less well rated on Tire Rack. Is there a compelling reason to choose between the two? They seem to be pretty similar tires except for price.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

rifles posted:

Anyone ever use Costco's road hazard warranty? I rotate my tires myself and worry about them denying because I don't keep receipts beyond writing it in a log. Never had issues with Tirerack or Firestone (latter is $$$ on top)

I did a mileage warranty on a set of tires and never did a tire rotation there. They didn't even mention it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

you ate my cat posted:

I'm putting new tires on a car for the first time in 5 years, so I'm a little behind. I used to go with Continental ExtremeContact DWS and liked them. The thread favorite seems to be the Pilot Sport A/S line, which is a little more expensive and slightly less well rated on Tire Rack. Is there a compelling reason to choose between the two? They seem to be pretty similar tires except for price.

For what’s it’s worth I like the Conti DWS06 a lot. I have them on my FiST for daily duty and they are surviving the torque steer admirably, as well as returning excellent economy and handling.

I also have a set for my S60R but I’m not currently using them because they’re on the stock wheels which need a refinish, but they were excellent when I was running them on that car as well.

I don’t generally like all-seasons but the R came with the DWS and I was impressed enough with their versatility to use them on the FiST. If you liked them before, you’ll probably like them now, and as you said the prices are decent on them.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I would have no issues running the new DWS06 vs the Pilot Sport AS4. I actually had the original DWS on my car prior to my current tires (Pirelli Pzero As+). If they're less expensive than the Michelins, go for it!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I say the opposite, I’d go Michelin but I’m a self-admitted Michelin fanboi.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I'm going to put on some BFG KO2 tires, the air force 1 of tires. If they are going to ride for 60,000 miles then I'll just say it's going to be worth it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Price being equal? I'd probably go with the Michelin myself. But having driven both, I'd be perfectly ok running the DWS if it saves some cash.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Same. They're basically all I'll buy at this point.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I had DWSs and they were okay, I liked my A/S 3s I got later way more, they turned a little sharper and had way better cold traction. I have also become a michelin only whore whatever the price is.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Infinotize posted:

I had DWSs and they were okay, I liked my A/S 3s I got later way more, they turned a little sharper and had way better cold traction. I have also become a michelin only whore whatever the price is.

That Michelin feel is really… it’s there, it’s a thing. They just feel right.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jumping in to plus one the Michelin fan boy status. The only reason I really look elsewhere is if they don’t carry a size I need (like for my miata)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It still quite a while away, but I'll need new winter tires this year. Are the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 the successor to the Pilot Alpin PA4? The tread design went from asymmetrical to symmetrical directional (almost like the Cross Climate tread). The Pilot Alpin 5 also has about half the sizes available of the PA4.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
cross posting from stupid questions thread:

so my car (1995 Corolla) just died for good and it has these size tires on it, and they're brand new:
P185/65R14

my other shitbox (1993 Nissan D21) has tires of this size, and they're shot:
P195/75R14

is it possible to throw the newer ones on there just to get by for a while? is this a dangerous thing to do? im like, beyond broke and just need the cheapest possible solution here.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Sarah Cenia posted:

cross posting from stupid questions thread:

so my car (1995 Corolla) just died for good and it has these size tires on it, and they're brand new:
P185/65R14

my other shitbox (1993 Nissan D21) has tires of this size, and they're shot:
P195/75R14

is it possible to throw the newer ones on there just to get by for a while? is this a dangerous thing to do? im like, beyond broke and just need the cheapest possible solution here.

The wheels won't fit, and the cost to swap the tires is probably a bit more than you're expecting (hopefully you have some ubercheap shady tire shops around you, they can be useful in times like this), and the Corolla's tires are a fair bit smaller than the truck's tires.

Your speedo will be reading high and your speed/load carrying capacity will be diminished, but it'll be safe and if I was in a bind and in your situation I'd probably swap them over assuming it wasn't going to be too expensive.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
thank you!!!

I should (should) be able to switch the tires over to the other rims myself, but we'll see. sometimes it's easierless lovely than others.

but this is just a temporary bandage, so if it'll work and be a little funky, that's much better than not at all.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Sarah Cenia posted:

thank you!!!

I should (should) be able to switch the tires over to the other rims myself, but we'll see. sometimes it's easierless lovely than others.

but this is just a temporary bandage, so if it'll work and be a little funky, that's much better than not at all.

You'll still need to have them balanced.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not sure if this is the right place for wheels too. A friend just bought a 2016 Tundra that had a halfass offroad build done, he's planning on returning it to stock height and replacing the 18" Fuel wheels and 295 tires with either stock or smaller. We're both of the mind that at least for a truck, the smallest wheel you can get is good because a truck can use extra rubber for the poo poo roads you would take it on when you had no other way to get there. Our seasons are also winter and pothole so that's a factor too. Also 16-17" tires are cheaper than 18" because ???

It looks like normally the smallest it can take are 17" wheels, but I know with rally wheels you can frequently get 15" wheels that are made in a way to fit brakes that would normally require 16" wheels. Is there an equivalent for larger wheel sizes, where a 16" wheel would fit brakes meant for a 17" wheel? If not he'll probably just either buy OEM wheels or 17" wheels.

Also the stock wheel width is 9" for 255mm wide wheels, I've read that for 255mm tires you want a 9" wheel minimum, is that accurate? Figured I might as well check while I'm asking questions.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Clearance for wheels is very vehicle and wheel specific. Tire rack is a great place to start.

There are also lots of user built databases for wheel car combos but they usually are looking for the biggest they can stuff in. Also they will forget to mention spacers, coilovers, alignment, and lots of other stuff that effects it so big grain of salt.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Truck tires are following every other vehicle where selection and pricing on the smallest possible wheel sizes are worse, not better. 20 years ago I'd have agreed that smallest possible rim = best, but these days I doubt there's enough price difference between 15" and 17" tires to be worth the headache.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'd take more sidewall for the same price.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...icleSearch=true

Am I going to regret getting these closeouts? I value dry then wet traction with occasional light track use. They seem... fine? I'm replacing 10 year old rotten Hankook Ventus's that were fine, not amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I had a buddy of mine order those same tires a month or two back in a different size. He's been very happy with them, and the ones he got were actually a mid-2021 production. I'd run them with no concerns.