Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hd-2d would be a huge downgrade for chrono trigger, its one of the prettiest games ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Fungah! posted:

hd-2d would be a huge downgrade for chrono trigger, its one of the prettiest games ever

ALso they already did it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My appreciation for Chrono Trigger skyrocketed after I played SE's attempts to make spiritual successors, I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear. I replayed CT after bouncing off both of those and the sheer amount of personality and life that's in Chrono Trigger jumped out at me. Even just random enemy sprites are lovingly animated and have a ton of uniqueness and personality that's missing from the more modern attempts to recapture CT's magic.

I do think HD-2D developers are getting better at that--Octopath 2 is absolutely beautiful and has a ton of personality and uniqueness to its animations, it's a gigantic leap up from Octopath 1 and even a step up from Triangle Strategy and Live A Live--but I also think HD-2D Chrono Trigger's the wrong move.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CT doesn't need a remake, it's a perfect game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Thinking "I can improve on Chrono Trigger, let's make a sequel" is the kind of hubris that Zeus strikes you with lightning for

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
hey guys. did you know robos theme has a similar melody to rick ashleys never gonna give you up, or perhaps rick astleys together forever (same song)? thats right. like subscribe and hit the bell for more heckinly wholesome chrono trigger facts.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

for real, I would appreciate some kind of modernization that means I can play it on console but they shouldn't change a thing about the game itself

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thanks to this conversation I'm going to spend the whole weekend replaying Chrono Trigger on my Retroid Pocket :cheers:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

mycophobia posted:

rick ashleys never gonna give you up, or perhaps rick astleys together forever (same song)
lmfao

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm going to play Blue Dragon after DQ11.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

I'm going to play Blue Dragon after DQ11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6D5m10o-P4

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh god drat it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtpAzbEnc8

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmao gj

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

owned lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

welcome posted:

this. thank you

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Live a Live getting the HD-2D treatment meant that it got an official English release for the first time so I'd like to see them do that to other snes jrpgs that never got that chance. Gimmie Bahamut Lagoon or Treasure of the Rudras in HD-2D.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Srice posted:

Live a Live getting the HD-2D treatment meant that it got an official English release for the first time so I'd like to see them do that to other snes jrpgs that never got that chance. Gimmie Bahamut Lagoon or Treasure of the Rudras in HD-2D.

both of those would be fuckin sick, especially if they tuned up bahamut lagoon a little. games a cool idea but kind of rear end to actually play, if they gently caress wth it a little it could be a real gem

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fungah! posted:

both of those would be fuckin sick, especially if they tuned up bahamut lagoon a little. games a cool idea but kind of rear end to actually play, if they gently caress wth it a little it could be a real gem

Yeah! They adjusted Live a Live's gameplay a lil bit and that turned out great so I'm sure they could polish Bahamut Lagoon too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD-2D Bahamut Lagoon would be badass

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

Thanks to this conversation I'm going to spend the whole weekend replaying Chrono Trigger on my Retroid Pocket :cheers:

never stop playing Chrono Trigger

Fungah! posted:

For me it would have to be some spectacular visual and audio upgrade with pretty much everything else the same. And by upgrade, I'm thinking just out of this world stuff, get Toriyama's Bird Studios to do ultra smoothly animated sprites so it's like playing out the scenes from the manual or the concept art. Give the music the full orchestra treatment because if you haven't heard the official arrangement they put out a few years ago, god drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wryzF9SRUxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKEOrh382io

(lol the only versions I can find on YouTube is this guy who burned it to vinyl)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

welcome posted:

NO!

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I loved Bahamut Lagoon as is with whatever the ROM translation was, but it would be cool to see a properly translated and updated version

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'm 4 hours into DQ11 and this game is absolutely magical. I'm glad I played through 5 and 8 so I can appreciate how this is still Dragon Quest, but shiny and new.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I want Mother 4 to be just like it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bees x1000 posted:

I'm 4 hours into DQ11 and this game is absolutely magical. I'm glad I played through 5 and 8 so I can appreciate how this is still Dragon Quest, but shiny and new.

It's the GOAT and manages that feeling for like 120 hours.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

In Training posted:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I had a ton of respect for dq11 really early on going yeah here's zoom, it's free, you can even use it indoors or in dungeons now. if you wanna actively explore and travel through the world go for it but here's a no frills zoom if you just wanna get where you're going

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

does DQ11 use old equipment for forging, or can I safely sell that stuff? The recipes I've found so far have all been just crafting materials

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

bees x1000 posted:

does DQ11 use old equipment for forging, or can I safely sell that stuff? The recipes I've found so far have all been just crafting materials

Only for evolution weapons which have like a single line are unique and you only start getting those at the end game when moneys not an issue.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

bees x1000 posted:

The game won't let you sell something literally irreplaceable and warns if if you can only get it from monster drops

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

i'm not joking when i say that every single time that you ask, "could making this decision inconvenience me in the future?" the answer is no. it's astonishing how They Thought of Everything

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

With one exception: if you turn on too many Draconian Quests, you can only turn all of them off, not just some.

...but is it art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

With one exception: if you turn on too many Draconian Quests, you can only turn all of them off, not just some.

The Draconian Quest implementation is all very weird and questionable all around