Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Rinkles posted:

When DMU Sheoldred was revealed, did people anticipate that she'd be a standard all-star?

I didn't see anyone call it lovely, but I don't recall anyone calling how nuts it would be in Standard/Pioneer until after a few leagues had finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Honestly I'm watching that and... I feel like literally everything he said was borne out, he just didn't anticipate how good the entire black package it slots into would be.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

oh hey uh yeah cool

sharing because I just got very lucky

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
:popeye:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I bought two of the new sheoldred for modern mono black control. I guess I get to double my money and then some.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

TotalHell posted:

oh hey uh yeah cool

What's that pull down?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TotalHell posted:

oh hey uh yeah cool

stupid sexy sheoldred

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rinkles posted:

When DMU Sheoldred was revealed, did people anticipate that she'd be a standard all-star?

I don't think anyone foresaw it becoming such a staple across multiple formats. IIRC the highest praise was that it might be a solid SB card against aggro or burn if Black stayed strong.

MOM Sheoldred is no slouch either, even if the activation clause slows it down a little bit.

TotalHell posted:

oh hey uh yeah cool

Speak of the devil. Congrats, that's a great looking card.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

mycomancy posted:

What's that pull down?

Seeing Market Price at $700, with existing listings being twice that. Absolutely wild.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I brought my Drake posted:

I'm mad. My LGS had a big cabinet with bulk singles and they recently got rid of it. There was this guy who would monopolize the cabinet for hours and not let anyone else look for anything and scan stuff to flip on TCGplayer, and when the store decided to post a one hour time limit per day for browsing, the guy threatened to sue the store, so the store decided to stop selling bulk singles altogether. I'm mad at the guy for even suggesting a lawsuit, and I'm also kind of mad at the store owner for folding like wet cardboard to it.

I ended up buying the store's bulk today and took them all home in three thick walled cardboard moving boxes. At some point I'm going to invite a few of the cool regulars over to my place for beer and pizza and pauper deck building, shore up my collection, pull out cheap staples and give them back to the store as well as the pauper decks and a box full of nothing but fat pack boxes and the like, and mail the rest to MagiKids.

The guy actually reported the store to the Better Business Bureau simply because an employee asked him not to monopolize the bulk bins and clean up after himself when he was finished.

I want the card playing community at the store to flourish and I want people to feel welcome there. Partly because I think it's good for business in general, partly because I've been to game stores where I don't feel particularly welcome because I'm not a cishet white guy, and partly to atone from my sins when I was a selfish shithead twentysomething.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I love this followup, if only you could've mass bought them all from under him while browsing

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I'm sorry if the thread has moved on but I'm having trouble and I could use some help.

How can you guys still keep playing after the whole aftermath debacle? It's anbinsane reaction by wotc and people should, I believe, be more upset about it.

The thing is I really want to play magic but I'm morally against what happened and can't bring myself to support wotc.

Sorry if I'm bringing up poo poo no one cares about as well, feel free to ignore me.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Probably the same way people kept playing after the queer erasure of Nissa and Chandra, selling $100 booster packs for M30, screwing over LGS in favor of sales through Amazon, etc

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Because you not playing doesn’t affect them in any way, but not playing deprives yourself of something fun and meaningful for yourself. For lots of players it a huge part of their social life and even personal identity. To dump all that just to make a pointless statement of disapproval to nobody is a tough sell even though it’s probably the moral thing to do or whatever.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Elblanco posted:

I'm sorry if the thread has moved on but I'm having trouble and I could use some help.

How can you guys still keep playing after the whole aftermath debacle? It's anbinsane reaction by wotc and people should, I believe, be more upset about it.

The thing is I really want to play magic but I'm morally against what happened and can't bring myself to support wotc.

Sorry if I'm bringing up poo poo no one cares about as well, feel free to ignore me.

1) If this is genuinely your moral last straw against WotC/Hasbro, then you haven't been paying much attention to the last three-four years. Good of you to finally catch on that WotC/Hasbro are utter villains tho welcome aboard.

And

2). WotC was absolutely going to bury someone who leaked the entire set weeks before they shoved out their own spoilers- doesn't matter how he got them dude was a loving moron for posting them on the internet and while it's super lovely that WotC did it there was never a world any corporation that exists weren't gonna merc the dumbass who did it to 'em. Corporations suck by nature of their very existence as machine that only get made to make a small group of people unlimited money at any cost that somehow gets to exist as it's own legal entity with far more protections then actual people.

I play Magic almost exclusively anymore drafting once a month to hang with friends and support my LGS and very rarely make up a brew of draft droppings to run in a weekly Standard. If they stop carrying Magic I'd probably never play Magic again but that'd likely be store suicide considering how thin their margins are in a lot of other areas- Magic brings the business so they'll keep selling Magic so they can keep having a store.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 30, 2023

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Khanstant posted:

Haha I love this followup, if only you could've mass bought them all from under him while browsing

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Elblanco posted:

How can you guys still keep playing after the whole aftermath debacle?

playing is fine, I just won't spend another dime on WotC :eng101:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Elblanco posted:

The trick is to not support them. Make proxies, play on free simulators like Untap or Cockatrice, just avoid any official channels for the game. You can still enjoy Magic without giving Wizards a cent.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
or just stop supporting and playing the game! it's entirely up to you, and if you find yourself conflicted enough that it bothers you whenever you think about the game, just move on from it and find another hobby

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Because you not playing doesn’t affect them in any way, but not playing deprives yourself of something fun and meaningful for yourself. For lots of players it a huge part of their social life and even personal identity. To dump all that just to make a pointless statement of disapproval to nobody is a tough sell even though it’s probably the moral thing to do or whatever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've been avoiding a handful of videogame companies for well over a decade now and all of those companies are just as bad or worse than ever. Consumers choosing not to buy from bad companies is a goofy trap that doesn't work, especially for consumers of games. We have a government specifically for protecting us from companies doing bullshit, but it's been a long time since bribery was illegal and we don't get much of that anymore.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

playing is fine, I just won't spend another dime on WotC :eng101:

Yep! Playing proxies, and or buying the cards I want off someone else. Or just moar proxies.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Elblanco posted:

IMO the value of the game is in the community and the culture around it, and I can feel okay about engaging in that despite the amoral/unethical stuff that the corporation does. My priority moving forward will be to actively not give them money if I can avoid it (which I can) and make sure to make it clear what the reasons behind that are if/when I have an opportunity to give feedback via a survey or whatever.

I have enough wildcards and can eek out enough wins in draft that I can be F2P on Arena unless I want to buy a mastery pass and I haven't done that since a few sets back.I haven't bought physical cards in ~4 years or so. Obviously not everybody's situation but it allows me to still enjoy the game and not give any money to WOTC/Hasbro.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

I brought my Drake posted:

I ended up buying the store's bulk today and took them all home in three thick walled cardboard moving boxes. At some point I'm going to invite a few of the cool regulars over to my place for beer and pizza and pauper deck building, shore up my collection, pull out cheap staples and give them back to the store as well as the pauper decks and a box full of nothing but fat pack boxes and the like, and mail the rest to MagiKids.

The guy actually reported the store to the Better Business Bureau simply because an employee asked him not to monopolize the bulk bins and clean up after himself when he was finished.

I want the card playing community at the store to flourish and I want people to feel welcome there. Partly because I think it's good for business in general, partly because I've been to game stores where I don't feel particularly welcome because I'm not a cishet white guy, and partly to atone from my sins when I was a selfish shithead twentysomething.

Actually building pauper decks out of bulk is...not great. I mean, they may be fine playing against each other but as soon as one person builds an actual pauper deck the rest of you are in for a world of hurt.

Consider building a bunch of Jank! decks instead. The format is quite literally designed for people to hang out and build competitive decks out of bulk cards.
“JANK! is a set of rules that, should you follow them all, you will have a deck that looks like a 15-year-old’s kitchen-table deck, and that will be a top-tier deck,”

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ph4qNbdLRqwtG_pz9qgrDS-zC_xofFiS/view
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MtGJANK/

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Thanks for the perspective guys, I feel a lot better about this now. I'm going to keep playing but my partner and I have a plan to at least not buy random packs and poo poo. I had a bad problem about that for a long time though, this poo poo has fixed that though haha. It'll be free games on arena, proxies and singles/supporting my lgs from here on though.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Actually building pauper decks out of bulk is...not great. I mean, they may be fine playing against each other but as soon as one person builds an actual pauper deck the rest of you are in for a world of hurt.

Consider building a bunch of Jank! decks instead. The format is quite literally designed for people to hang out and build competitive decks out of bulk cards.
“JANK! is a set of rules that, should you follow them all, you will have a deck that looks like a 15-year-old’s kitchen-table deck, and that will be a top-tier deck,”

I'm trying to understand this format, I'm always looking for ways to use draft chaff, but it is baffling

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Couch Life posted:

I'm trying to understand this format, I'm always looking for ways to use draft chaff, but it is baffling

I can play 30-card singleton mono-blue control from THB/DOM and just win with Thassa's Oracle. Seems fine.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The main way to think of Pauper is not a way to use draft chaff but as turn-5 no-Force Legacy. The card power is way too high and there's still absolutely broken poo poo going on but because card draw is generally very mid and the cost of cards generally higher, it's a lot harder to speed run winning the game, but because there is very little control when tapping out it tends to be easier to get the all clear to fire off SOME poo poo. No one without ramp is doing anything particularly degenerate for a few turns, just playing strong (for the format) cards at good tempo and hoping to control the match until the Magic happens.

I mean, Delver, Brainstorm, Counterspell, Swiftspear, Lightning Bolt, the Artifact Lands, and Urzatron are commons. Pauper decks can absolutely loving crush good decks from younger formats like Standard and Pioneer just from sheer card power and synergy due to the size of the pool you're working with, all commons or not.

e: Misread the post browsing on my phone welp.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 1, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Elblanco posted:

Thanks for the perspective guys, I feel a lot better about this now. I'm going to keep playing but my partner and I have a plan to at least not buy random packs and poo poo. I had a bad problem about that for a long time though, this poo poo has fixed that though haha. It'll be free games on arena, proxies and singles/supporting my lgs from here on though.

Yeah, I came back to magic in 2019 after having been away for a while and it took me less than three months to decide I wasn’t spending any money on it ever again. I still watch and follow people, and keep up with it a little, but my decision was a lot easier because I wasn’t enmeshed in it all anymore. If I still regularly hung out with friends that play it would have been a harder choice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
magle

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

MisterOblivious posted:

Maybe if I read this when I've had a good night's sleep, it'll make more sense? It reads like it's trying to answer the question, what if somebody applied a crunchy TTRPG's rules to a shoebox of Magic cards?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

this mfer said Magle! again!!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

What’s a magle

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Not much, what's a magle with you?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
magl ive come to :bagl:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So anyway, I says to Magle, I says...

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

No really what's a magle

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

No really what's a magle

Magle deez nuts

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Maglenburg-Vorpommern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Judgy Fucker posted:

No really what's a magle

Well, it's not quite a mop, and it's not quite an eagle

but, man...

so, to answer your question, I don't know.