Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

All the common races except for Humans (large) and kobolds (small) are considered the same size for equipping clothes, armor, weapons and etc. I take it to mean DF elves are just smaller than the fantasy norm, I don't think it's a bug or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I assume they're like Elfquest elves rather than proud Noldor princes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I take it to mean they are 100% identical to dwarves in every physical way except they lack beards. This, of course, absolutely confounds the dwarves.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Dwarves, elves, and goblins all average 60,000 Arbitrary Size Units, which are a factor of volume and density. They can all use each others' gear as clothing tolerates size differences of roughly ±10,000. Shape is left as an exercise for the reader.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

There's some beastfolk races you can size your stuff for so that it will fit all four common races. or so I hear

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

resistentialism posted:

There's some beastfolk races you can size your stuff for so that it will fit all four common races. or so I hear

Yeah I think hyena people gear fits everyone.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I didn't know this could happen.

Kobold seige in an unmodded game, other than DFhack.

I think it might've been a goblin civ that just captured a bunch of kobolds actually.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 30, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I didn't know this could happen.

Kobold seige in an unmodded game, other than DFhack.

I think it might've been a goblin civ that just captured a bunch of kobolds actually.

Yeah I haven't seen that in my time at all, usually if kobolds are still around by the time my world is generated they just come to steal once a year and immediately run away before doing anything.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I had a world with regular peaceful kobold visitors but I think there was something wrong with the area I loaded that ended in low fps with fewer than 20 dwarves, so I shwacked it. Now like 40% of the people who visit my fort are some variety of undead, but that number has been slowly dropping as I destroy every necromancer tower I can find.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Appoda posted:

All the common races except for Humans (large) and kobolds (small) are considered the same size for equipping clothes, armor, weapons and etc. I take it to mean DF elves are just smaller than the fantasy norm, I don't think it's a bug or anything.

it is humans that are ridiculously huge barbarian weirdos all along.
*WHAM WHAM WHAM* LONGBEARD OPEN DOOR ME HAVE TRADE
"poo poo i dunno Urist these guys are out there staring into the sun all day"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

"poo poo i dunno Urist these guys are out there staring into the sun all day"
... is cave adaptation just forgetting not to look directly into the Sky Orb?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Trading stone blocks is just throwing out magic beans anyway, all of that stone should be a mighty wall and flooring scheme designed to ferry goblins into your death traps with little fuss and your exports should be their copper and iron, or melted down into fine goblets to be encrusted with gems and such!

I've discovered copper bolts is basically free money for a resource I really just dont use. Set aside one guy to just make copper bolts all day and they seem to go for 700-1000 a pop.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I've had to kind of abandon a really good fort because of buggy poo poo with a clown.

I was digging through a diamond vein and out popped a "Flame Brute", absolutely roasted my miner alive. I did my usual, call everyone back to the burrough, and send my boys down to whack it. The problem is, they keep claiming he's "Unreachable" even though he's RIGHT THERE. They can be coaxed into going kinda near it, near enough to cop a fireball, but any attempt at "Kill this guy" they just refuse.

Does dwarf AI have a "Nope, gently caress that poo poo, just LOOK at that thing!" state? Or is this a bug. Dwarves can path right up to it and try and walk by (Try!) but actually trying to fight it? Nope.

It doesnt seem interested in attacking the fort. It hasnt tried to apprach the stairs that are well within its visual range, but its obstructing access to some fairly important parts of the map. :(

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I don't think the problem is the fire monster itself. It's the fireballs it throws that create smoke and dwarfs refuse to path through smoke. Try getting a hunter or a marksdwarf near it. If the thing is also made out of fire a single bolt probably extinguishes the problem.

Or what saved my fort once: A tantruming child that throws down the fire monster some stairs after it murdered half my fort.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If you can dump a mine cart full of water down some stairs or something and make the thing wet, it might just extinguish and die outright

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

There's the old standby of causing a cave-in above it, if it's not moving around

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Nosre posted:

There's the old standby of causing a cave-in above it, if it's not moving around

Yeah that might work!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Happy Litterbox posted:

I don't think the problem is the fire monster itself. It's the fireballs it throws that create smoke and dwarfs refuse to path through smoke. Try getting a hunter or a marksdwarf near it. If the thing is also made out of fire a single bolt probably extinguishes the problem.

Or what saved my fort once: A tantruming child that throws down the fire monster some stairs after it murdered half my fort.

The problem is there isn't he's just sitting there, the fires all cleared out. Maybe they dont like soot?

Also, one of the dwarves that was on fire managed to run all the way up the stairs to the top, and light my entire paddock of war bears on fire :(

!FUN!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

duck monster posted:

Yeah that might work!

Update: That did not work.
As soon as they started to dig out the roof above him, he lept up through the hole and lit everyone on fire. AAAAand he's rampaging the fort and the military would rather ignore orders and have gone off to drink beer.

All is lost. Oh well. Fun was had.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Monsters that use / are on fire are pretty bad at being targetted by the military. Either you need a crossbow squad, or you set a military squad to walk past the enemy because they cant see it / wont engage because of smoke/visibility.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

duck monster posted:

:iit:

For next time, you can do a 3-layer setup that leaves a solid floor above the beasty, so they're never exposed to a ramp to be able to do that

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What's the best way to record and post videos of a fort-in-progress?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i used https://www.screentogif.com/ for my xcom lps, it lets you export to video. Maybe it works good for you, maybe not. I was mostly doing short snips of a small dosbox window. Used to be you could dump the clips directly to imgur too.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Synthbuttrange posted:

Monsters that use / are on fire are pretty bad at being targetted by the military. Either you need a crossbow squad, or you set a military squad to walk past the enemy because they cant see it / wont engage because of smoke/visibility.

Are crossbow squads fixed to not be incredibly janky yet? :P

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

duck monster posted:

So say we all!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the best way to record and post videos of a fort-in-progress?

Usually I just use OBS. With it you can record the window and save it as an mkv to your computer, stream it live to twitch if you want, mess around with a bunch of advanced stuff you won't need. It's pretty cool.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ok. Decided I wasnt happy with it, and reloaded my savescum point (I usually dont , I know its bad form ,but gently caress....)

I put all 3 squads of my guys, axeboys, swordboys, and hammerboys around the stairway and waited, and then opened the hatches, and he came up and... BRUTAL battle later, the loving thing, and about half my troops, are dead.

Better throw a LOT of beds into my hospital o_O

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ok this is pretty drat neat. So that dude was guarding a vault with some treasure. I've discovered a much safer way to plunder those things is from above. Just clear out the level above, and dig holes in strategic locations to see whats in there. I uncovered an angel (something or other champion macelord. looked like a regular demon, but apparently an angel) and he was pretty much stuck in the hole, so I got my military archers to surround the hole and shoot it dead, (get bent, elf gods!). A bit more probing, found 3 artefacts (All of which now I've set as royal insignia of the queen.)

All up I've lost about 50 dwarves (down from about 220 to 175), mostly from either the Fire brute, or the fact that a burning dwarf managed to light the entire overworld on fire, and about 30 war bears (from the overworld fire). However I've got about 15 war bears left which ought repopulate given time, and some more bears on order from the humans. A fuckload of polished diamonds , about 130K value worth of artefacts and a pretty battered military that'll need some training and perhaps some new armor.

I did lose my two wierdo necromancer experiment archers though. :(

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

duck monster posted:

Update: That did not work.
As soon as they started to dig out the roof above him, he lept up through the hole and lit everyone on fire.

Fyi, you don't dig out the roof above someone to drop things on them. A tile consists of a "wall" section and a "floor" section, when a cavein hits a floor section that is not supported directly under it by a wall, it goes straight through. So you can just dig a normal tunnel on the layer above him, and then drop something on it from the layer above that. This way, the monster will not see or be able to path to the diggers until the cave-in has already happened.

(Most people figure out this rule when they accidentally drop something through 20 layers of their fort, killing all dwarves in between.)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Tuna-Fish posted:

Fyi, you don't dig out the roof above someone to drop things on them. A tile consists of a "wall" section and a "floor" section, when a cavein hits a floor section that is not supported directly under it by a wall, it goes straight through. So you can just dig a normal tunnel on the layer above him, and then drop something on it from the layer above that. This way, the monster will not see or be able to path to the diggers until the cave-in has already happened.

(Most people figure out this rule when they accidentally drop something through 20 layers of their fort, killing all dwarves in between.)

Good to know.

Also, my fort is now turbo-hosed. After taking out 3 separate angels and 2 demons (Other than the fire guy , the other angels and demons hidden in the walls seem to go down relatively easy with a max 2-3 military dwarf deaths each. I had about 8 squads (For parallel elf city raiding parties), I managed to open up the spire down to the clowns and yeah that went to hell well fast.

And now I know. All really IS lost this time. My fellas dug too deep, and completed the gently caress about and find out cycle.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 5, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah the circus really does not gently caress around in the slightest. The moment those pranksters get involved, everyone is in for a fun time.

I've read about folks managing to actually clear them out and fiddle around down there, but iirc it typically involves insane amounts of elaborate, supervillain-level deathtrap preparation, utterly murders FPS until the honking and pie-throwing has died down, and provides little actual payoff apart from the sheer hubristic glory of having successfully done it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah the circus really does not gently caress around in the slightest. The moment those pranksters get involved, everyone is in for a fun time.

I've read about folks managing to actually clear them out and fiddle around down there, but iirc it typically involves insane amounts of elaborate, supervillain-level deathtrap preparation, utterly murders FPS until the honking and pie-throwing has died down, and provides little actual payoff apart from the sheer hubristic glory of having successfully done it.

yeah, I don't know if I'm going to bother with it in my current fort. If I do i'll make some multi level obsidian casting device to trap them in.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
There are apparently a lot of ways to gently caress with them, especially if you abuse their AI. I believe Neddy Seagoon trapped them all in an inescapable prison in the Bronzestabbed LP. Link to his explanation in the thread.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pickled Tink posted:

There are apparently a lot of ways to gently caress with them, especially if you abuse their AI. I believe Neddy Seagoon trapped them all in an inescapable prison in the Bronzestabbed LP. Link to his explanation in the thread.

Seems like it would kill your fps.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I did elaborate cave in structures (each one comprising 3 layers) all the way up a gem spire. I had 7 built, and in the end the first 2 killed everything so it was a ton of overkill. I then colonized the circus floor and nothing else even spawned.

Building unnecessary megaprojects is the endgame anyway, though, so it was fun :)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Angry Diplomat posted:

I blocked off my main fortress with bridges, had an alternate route up to a big room with a few dogs in it to make sure the clowns would path up there, opened the way with a disposable miner, and then once all the clowns were in the big room, I dropped the roof on them using a lever tied to a support pillar. Wasn't that hard, but definitely takes a little planning.

The other thing is that, similar to the caverns, clowns are going to keep occasionally coming from off screen into the circus. So, like, once you've cleared out the first wave, if you want to actually do something down there, you need to build a little walled off area. I managed to build a nice tavern.

In terms of resources, it contains exactly jack and poo poo. Nothing is usable down there. So, if you want all that, it's a good move to break into it!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ok. So because I refuse to let the Rock and roll die, I decided to pull my save up just after the clowns broke free and I think I can beat this fucker (yes, I save scum, bite me. I'm too old to give a poo poo about "true gamer" points anymore. I was the most confused pilot in Eve Online for nearly 5 years. I paid my dues drat it).

So. Heres the situation....

I accidently opened up this mess:

Now these guys where a bit more spread out and took out a fair few dwarves. I had a couple of squads of armoured dudes down there that got wiped, but I managed to lock them into that section of the mine, and eventually the all gathered into that one area. However you can see theres a hole in the floor with lava. Unfortunately a few jumped in and started to work their way up this path:

Which is a tube of lava that goes up about 10 levels to the shore.

After abandoning the fortress thinking I was well hosed, I realised there was a body of water right next to the surface of that lava. So noticing that of the clowns that went lava, 3 swam off map, and 2 seem kinda stuck there fighting infinitely respawning lava crabs, I dug a trench from the water to the surface of that lava tube, and its slowly pouring water onto it sealing it over with obsidian.

Its been about an hour and this is where its at:

Real close now. I figure if the two steam monsters DO escape , my remaining forces can probably whack them, with some nasty losses, but its not game ending.

Once thats sorted , I'm going to dig out the roof above the spire first and seal that loving thing in. Then I'm going to collapse the roof on the remaining clowns.

And THEN dig out as many diamonds and artefacts for our queen as possible.

And the water logged area above that lava tube is gonna be turned into a farm, because my dwarves choose life, and digging very very deep.

unrelated: Aparenty imgur is going away? Whats the current goon aproved image host these days?

edit: Oh and I've started sending raiding squads into the elf lands. The gobos around here are thin on the ground, so its gonna be about murdering the pointy ears after this saga is secured.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 5, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Where the gently caress did Jazzimus go I need to ask them about the goddamn Arena website and character creator

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Clowns safely contained. I'll get around to killing them at some point, but with the lava sealed over, theres no great hurry as my FPS is still hanging in there. I'd like to get at that adamantium at SOME point, but oh well.

edit: lol goblin invasion. Seriously lads, our boys took on the circus and came out ontop, you wanna pick a fight with THAT?

duck monster fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

duck monster posted:

I've had to kind of abandon a really good fort because of buggy poo poo with a clown.

I was digging through a diamond vein and out popped a "Flame Brute", absolutely roasted my miner alive. I did my usual, call everyone back to the burrough, and send my boys down to whack it. The problem is, they keep claiming he's "Unreachable" even though he's RIGHT THERE. They can be coaxed into going kinda near it, near enough to cop a fireball, but any attempt at "Kill this guy" they just refuse.

Does dwarf AI have a "Nope, gently caress that poo poo, just LOOK at that thing!" state? Or is this a bug. Dwarves can path right up to it and try and walk by (Try!) but actually trying to fight it? Nope.

It doesnt seem interested in attacking the fort. It hasnt tried to apprach the stairs that are well within its visual range, but its obstructing access to some fairly important parts of the map. :(

Something similar happened to me a while back with a flame blob forgotten beast, i think dwarfs just don't even attempt to melee creatures made of flame even though they're perfectly capable of actually hitting you just have to force them to do it on accident

Like they'd all be standing still right next to the thing while it attacked them, dodging and very occasionally counter attacking while dodging but not making any other attempt to fight back. Dunno if this counts as a bug or not, games weird like that