Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Ah yep I'm an idiot, it's at unsociable hours for most of the thread. My b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'm in favor of a basho thread. i seldom watch live but it feels awkward to even discuss after i watch a digest in the morning (us time) as people watch on different times and the convention is usually to keep everything in spoilers.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Threads aren't a limited resource. Can always try a basho thread and see how it goes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My personal instinct is to just treat this thread as a "poster beware" zone for daily spoilers during the basho. Almost every post in the two weeks the basho is on is about how wrestlers are doing and cool bouts or whatever, and it always seems funny the spoiler those since almost every post is spoilered sometimes. We could just make it clear that we strongly recommend watching the day's bouts before reading the thread and it would accomplish much the same thing. It's what I do anyway, despite the spoiler tags.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I'd say maybe spoiler if you're doing live viewing as not everyone has the opportunity to do that, but as soon as the digests like Kinta are up, everything should be fair game and it's your own drat fault if you go into the thread before watching.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, I think spoilers while the bouts are happening are appropriate, but by 6 pm Japan time the thread can be all bets off.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I think its fairly understood that you should watch the match day prior to clicking spoilers. Match digests are usually up by 8 EST so its pretty easy to watch the matches before the day shift posters come in.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Kenning posted:

Yeah, I think spoilers while the bouts are happening are appropriate, but by 6 pm Japan time the thread can be all bets off.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
                  SHODAI                  

Brut fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 12, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Anyway shitposting aside, this is neat:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1646079623040466956

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That kid is going places. Probably my favorite of the newbies this last time around, and he earned that distinction very early on in the basho.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I love that this sport that takes itself super seriously and is up its own rear end 99% of the time has no problem with their stars showing up on the ring so sacred that icky girls can't enter wearing a bad cartoon frog or hello kitty fighting a dragon.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
it's serious business

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tuna in Japanese is 'maguro'?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Tuna in Japanese is 'maguro'?
Cooked, canned tuna is "tsuna".

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

also, maguro is generally bluefin tuna. skipjack tuna is katsuo, for instance

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Apraxin posted:

it's serious business

Why does Kumamon continue to haunt me?

Kumamoto prefecture got their money worth with that bear - it's everywhere like Big Brother on Kyushu.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/sumofollower/status/1646639698930958337
WTK gonna be off the banzuke for quite a bit with ACL rehab after the surgery. :(

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

That could be it for WTK at sanyaku. Assuming an 8 month recovery period, he'd miss 4 basho which would have him at lower Makushita for January. It took Abi 4 basho to make it back from that point, but that was a healthy dude with back to back 7-0s. A recovering guy putting up 5s or 6s would take another 1 or 2 tourneys. He might not be back in Makuuchi until Jan 25 at which point he'd be on the wrong side of 30 so getting back up isn't a given.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://youtu.be/8GsW3tQf88k

Shodai with incalculable strength

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Apraxin posted:

it's serious business

Kumamon IS serious buisness. That prefecture is making bank off that creepy rear end bear

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

verbal enema posted:

Shodai has every attribute one would want out of an ozeki except consistency.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Kumamon IS serious buisness. That prefecture is making bank off that creepy rear end bear

Case in point, I just bought a plushie at the Kumamon Village store last week.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

verbal enema posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > Punch Sport Pagoda > Sumo: My power comes from eating raw horse meat.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Banana Canada posted:

Case in point, I just bought a plushie at the Kumamon Village store last week.

I'm secretly fond of the anime Keroro Gunsou. I've got a keyring of the main character, an alien invader, wearing a Kumamon shirt.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hakuho's hands: pretty big!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/patriciajaydee/status/1651064446452903937

Poor lil' Bird.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh man, if he's kyujo I won't get to see him in person :(

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
According to Kintamayama's newsletter:

Asanoyama went for degeiko at Tokitsukaze, as did Nishikigi and Hokutofuji. Asanoyama went 12-4 including 3-1 against Shodai.

I really hope Asanoyama can make it back to the joi in short order as I'd love to see him against Kiribayama and Hoshoryu and Kotonowaka. I'm pleased in general with how many solid yostu guys are at the top of the card these days.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Yeah Asanoyama will definitely be at a rank where he's fighting all the top guys very very soon, it'll be interesting to see if they manage to offer enough resistance to stop another Ozeki run, but I have no doubt he can maintain M3 or higher for a few years to come.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

May Banzuke is up!
https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I personally wouldn't mind a basho-focused thread. I actually have trouble following the action even if I just take joy in WATCHING the sport on MidnightSumo. I also tragically have to go to bed before the big boies come out most of the time.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Quite the jump for Kinbozan! Also, I'm glad that Oho didn't go down.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Lmao, M6-M10 is a wasteland of mediocrity.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
That's a generously light fall for Tochinoshin, J2w getting 5-10 could have sent him much further down than J5e, buys him a little extra time if he can pull out a few 7-8s.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This the first time Wakamotoharu had been above Wakatakakage?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lid posted:

This the first time Wakamotoharu had been above Wakatakakage?

in sekitori yes. wakamotoharu is only a year older but debuted considerably earlier as a teenager in january 2012. wakatakakage went to college and did well enough to debute at sandame 100 in march 2017.

last time the elder brother was ranked higher was 2018's new year basho. wakamotoharu went 3-4 from makushita 6 while his little bro had a zensho yusho from ms17.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

is there any good comparison chart somewhere of how these boys either went up or down the ranks this basho, or do i need to do the heavy lifting myself? because i will, but i thought maybe there was some website or something that i didn't know about yet!

edit: also, people are saying that teronofuji will be participating in may. that's exciting! when does the yokozuna usually participate? i assume it'll be very late in the day/night.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://sumodb.sumogames.de/Default.aspx

they haven't updated for the upcoming basho yet but they will soon and that's the best place to find guys' career history and current trajectory

my cat is norris posted:

edit: also, people are saying that teronofuji will be participating in may. that's exciting! when does the yokozuna usually participate? i assume it'll be very late in the day/night.

yes if he participates he will be in the last match every night as the sole yokozuna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I usually check the charts from Fred Pinkerton but they haven't provided the latest one yet. Check fredpink.com for updates.