Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Runcible Cat posted:

AITA for ruining my brother's relationship because i wanted his girlfriend to be more involved with our family?

Hey PhD judge woman me and my parents are here to confront you about why you won't babysit my son since you obviously don't have anything better to do with your time.

Brother getting broken up with is just the :discourse: cherry on top.

Breaking up with the brother was a chaos dunk but also totally deserved. People who "refuse to take sides" between their partner and their family when the family is clearly in the wrong don't deserve to be in relationships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Runcible Cat posted:

AITA for ruining my brother's relationship because i wanted his girlfriend to be more involved with our family?

Hey PhD judge woman me and my parents are here to confront you about why you won't babysit my son since you obviously don't have anything better to do with your time.

She's not working, she's only taking paid leave from her job to get a loving PHD, she should have tons of time to babysit my kids!

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I have an intern right now who's getting her PhD on a government grant as an international student. She feels so much pressure to do well because her very not wealthy country is spending a good chunk of change on her. There's a job waiting on her and she's very excited about it but afraid that she won't live up to their expectations (she will, she absolutely will). I wonder if the girlfriend is feeling any of that pressure.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I mean she's a woman, what woman needs a PHD when she can babysit for me!

AITA for telling my sister and BIL they're not welcome to my son's birthday party?

quote:

My (f25) sister (f29) and I are not on so good terms. For some backroom info she's married to my BIL (m30), I am also married to my husband (m25) and we have two more siblings. Growing up we didn't had any issues between us, we were close until around a year ago.

So what made us go LC is that my sister got pregnant around the time of my delivery, I remember I was on my third trimester when they announced their pregnancy. She has some fertility issues and she had a miscarriage again for this baby. She had her miscarriage about a week before I gave birth, obviously I was very sad for them and I supported her aa much as I could (it wasn't easy for me to leave the house since I was high risk with my pregnancy, but I still called her). I had my baby the next week, it was a hard delivery for me so I really appreciated the support from my family, however neither her or her husband came to visit us. She called and congratulated us, asked if we were ok and such, but she said she couldn't bear to go to the hospital for the miscarriage thing. I told her I would like it if she can come at least for ten minutes since I needed the support, however she refused and then hung up. I was very hurt about this, after I went home she said she could visit then. I told her my husband and I wanted to be alone.

She didn't met my son for the first month, she called me to see if she could visit but I told her it was not a good moment. She ended up meeting him when he was three months. She was a bit butthurt because she was the only one who had to wait to meet my son.

At some point she told me that she felt left out, I told her she was invited to come to the hospital and met him when everyone else did but she didn't just because. She argued that she was feeling bad for the miscarriage, she told me I was selfish and such. We argued and since then we have not been on good terms even after she apologized.

We're celebrating our son first birthday in a few weeks and we send the invitations this week. My husband and I decided not to invite my sister or her husband. Since they didn't want to be when he was born they don't get to be there for his birthday. My sister called me and asked me for their invitations since they didn't get one. I told them they were not welcome to the party and gave her the same reasoning I wrote before. We argued again and she called me an rear end in a top hat because I'm punishing her for grieving her miscarriage, I told her none of that is my fault, it's not my fault she had a miscarriage, I needed her and she wasn't there for me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol good whiplash story that you think is going to be nta and then

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Holy poo poo the lack of empathy on that one, OP's also probably depriving their kid of a very devoted aunt and uncle.

Hawkperson posted:

“Wiping my kid’s butt is my wife and my female friend’s job” is so loving enraging

I'm really glad that my family is normal, and has not tried to pressure my partner into childcare because "she's a woman".

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
oh yeah the OP replied:

quote:

It's different, it wasn't her first miscarriage, and I asked her to at least show up for ten minutes. She was selfish enough to not show up but now she wants to be included?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
and thus, the other sister lost nothing when op went no contact

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Trauma-shrauma, what about meeeeeeee

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

oh yeah the OP replied:

quote:

Giving birth is also traumatic. I supported her though her other miscarriages, I had to just call her during her last one

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

OP just keeps going:

a commenter posted:

So you couldn't leave the house but "called her " for her miscarriage, which apparently you deem good enough support. She has a miscarriage and " called you" to congratulate you on your newborn, but her call was not good enough?

You needed her to come to the hospital to see your baby for 10 minutes because why? To see the grief on her face on what you had that she lost? So because she didn't give you that 10 minutes of superiority and the opportunity to rub your live birth in her face, you will punish her over and over again?

YTA, but cutting her out of your life is the nicest thing you've ever done for her.

OP posted:

If she were having the miscarriage when I gave birth I would've understand, but I gave birth a week after that, it was enough time to at least show some interest in my son or me since I had just gave birth

"It's been at least twenty minutes since you stopped miscarrying, how are you not over it yet?"

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
What a monster. I feel sorry for her kid. Anyone that self absorbed and lacking in basic empathy is going to be a dogshit parent.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

run on sentience posted:

What a monster. I feel sorry for her kid. Anyone that self absorbed and lacking in basic empathy is going to be a dogshit parent.

Maybe her kid will have bad vibes and she'll also be miserable.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

as we all know second miscarriages are far less traumatizing than the first

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Midnight Voyager posted:

quote:

Giving birth is also traumatic. I supported her though her other miscarriages, I had to just call her during her last one
Acid vat. But with a relatively high Ph so it takes longer than normal.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

deoju posted:

Acid vat. But with a relatively high Ph so it takes longer than normal.

Splashed with a half-gallon of HF

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Christ what an rear end in a top hat

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Hawkperson posted:

as we all know second miscarriages are far less traumatizing than the first

I hear they are often harder on the mansister.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Runcible Cat posted:

Short and sweet and really, really mindbogglingly loving stupid:

How can I use Chat GPT to help me in family court
hidden depths

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for calling a line-skipping pass a perk of being disabled?

quote:

I lost the genetic lottery and have to use a walker at the grand old age of 24. I can walk short distances without it (and even medium distances on a good day) and look "normal" until my legs start to give out, so I often get accused of faking my disability by strangers who think they're clever little detectives. But if I didn't have my walker, I would be unable to do pretty much anything outside my own home.

I went to Dollywood several weeks ago with two friends. Since I can't stand in line, I get a disability pass that lets me and my friends skip the line. Say the ride has a 30 minute wait—we can skip the line and ride at 10:30 and they will mark it down on my paper, and then at 11:00 we can skip the line to ride another ride. In practice, it's a bit more bang for your buck than the people actually waiting because the time spent riding the ride and then walking to the next one is a freebie. But the alternative would be me not being able to go on any rides at all.

I posted some pics from the trip on Instagram and said something like "Cripple perk: No lines 😎" in one post. Some girl that I vaguely know saw the post and was MAD. She left a bunch of comments on my trip photos saying it was hosed up to call an accomodation a "perk," I'm making the disabled community look bad, it's people like me who make it harder for people to get accommodations, and so on. A couple other randos started joining in with accusatory comments insinuating that I lied to get a pass when I could have actually waited in line, so I just deleted the whole post and blocked everyone who had left negative comments.

My thought was that it's my disability, 99.9% of it just plainly sucks, so I should be able to use and enjoy the rare upsides without feeling bad about it. But it's also hard enough as it is, and if that really is a douchey thing to say then I can own up to it.

quote:

Not disabled herself, just speaking for the many disabled people in her life who no doubt held her exact opinion 🙃

I use my chronic illness to get out of social situations all the time, it's a great perk

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hobnob posted:

I hear they are often harder on the mansister.

I came here looking for this. Sad sack of tears, you know.

AITA for telling my new roommate I don't want to get rid of the wasps for the summer?

quote:

I recently invited a friend of mine to live with me in January because I had an open room, and its tough out here with rising rent and everything. She unfortunately likes to pick fights all the time because where she grew up, that's all everyone around her ever did. I knew this going in to it, but I'm trying to work on it with her because I genuinely hate fighting over stupid things.

I bring this up because as of about a month ago, a wasp nest has started to form on our back patio, where we smoke, and hang out, and go to play with the dogs, its not super over used, but we go out there at least once a day. When it started to form she angrily told me she cant be out here if there are going to be wasps outside all the time. We live in the south where most species tend to pop up for about 3-4 months, and then disappear. The wasps are non-aggressive and we have (and still are) living with them with no incident. I refuse to kill anything (level 9 vegan here) so I told her from the get-go I wasn't gonna let her kill them, and the benefits they offer, like killing mosquitoes, keeping the garden from pests, keeping the compost pile from gathering flies, etc.

Today she came up to me and told me she's going to kill them if I don't do something about them because she has a phobia and can't get over the fact that they exist in her space, so she can't walk outside to play with her dog (she can, and has), and she can't open her window because she's scared of them flying in. (the wasps are not near her window lol) Basically I told her to get over it because there going to be around for like 2-3 more months max and I'm not going to let her kill like 50 wasp larvae and their moms because she has an irrational fear. This has lead to a lot of arguing and back and forth and I am really over it, but I'm not sure if I should give in or not.

So AITA for not wanting to get rid of the wasps?

Level 9 Vegan interests me but not as much as the idea of spoiler killing mosquitos. Since loving WHEN.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Fear of wasps is not irrational

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"OK, I'm out. The wasps can pick up my share of the rent from now on"

Seriously, though, if friend is on the lease they have just as much right to call an exterminator or ask the landlord to as OP has to not do that

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That’s ridiculous, how would a wasp write a check?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Level 9 Vegan interests me but not as much as the idea of spoiler killing mosquitos. Since loving WHEN.

Can't see why they wouldn't. They absolutely eat insects (and meat in general).

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

wasps dont pay rent they just squat, ur thinking of bees who pay in honey

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That’s ridiculous, how would a wasp write a check?

With your blood on its stinger

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would like to know more about which wasps these are that are non-aggressive

Wasps are aggression embodied

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

rotinaj posted:

Cicada killers, they're so single-minded in their wish to harvest cicadas that they're actually pretty chill around people

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Maybe it's a nest of White Anglo-Saxon Protestants

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Solitary wasp species can be chill but, true to their name, those ones don't typically build nests.

All the nest-builders are hate incarnate, and even God can't save them from my wrath.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

Mud daubers are very chill, not a problem at all. In regards to OP, however, they build their nests out of mud, not paper, so everyone in the situation would be able to tell, and OP would absolutely have specified mud daubers, not wasps, if they were.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Did a Goon set fire to a bee hive on a swing set or was it a wasp nest?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Kit Walker posted:

Breaking up with the brother was a chaos dunk but also totally deserved. People who "refuse to take sides" between their partner and their family when the family is clearly in the wrong don't deserve to be in relationships

“Freewill” by Rush (“Permanent Waves”, 1980) posted:

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
This was addressed before most people in this thread were even born

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Runcible Cat posted:

I dunno. I feel the brother is also one of the victims here.

Yes he is a coward, by "refusing to take sides". But I am sure he has been dealing with poo poo like this from his parents all his life, and from his sister, (whose response to the fact that her brother is dating a judge who is getting her PhD is "YAY, free babysitting! What, how on earth could you, a foreign judge, be possibly doing to help someone overseas that is more important that babysitting the child of your boyfriend's sister?"), all her life.

Again, he is a coward, and as such partly responsible and definitely not deserving to be going out with her. But poo poo sucks for him too, and he is not the AH.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Batterypowered7 posted:

If you look at the world around us, those may just be the deadliest wasps of all.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Batterypowered7 posted:

You need to get rid of these immediately or you'll never be rid of them. I recommend fire, personally.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling a line-skipping pass a perk of being disabled?

I use my chronic illness to get out of social situations all the time, it's a great perk

I get a free bus pass because I don't see so good and it's a decent perk!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA if I report someone for smoking weed in college dorms

quote:

I was studying in a corner by a lesser used stairwell when the smell of weed suddenly appeared out of nowhere. I packed my stuff quickly because I wanted to call the dorm's front desk and so that people couldn't take my stuff as I wanted to go somewhere more private to call. I was going to call in the stairwell until I opened the door and saw 3 guys smoking their joints on the landing below me. I went back to my corner and called the front desk giving descriptions of what was going on and a description of one of the people I saw because they sprinted down the stairs and went to another floor.

As I was talking about it with some other people later, one other person said that I was pulling a "dick move" because they could've gotten arrested and had their lives ruined. I argued that its finals season and the smell from smoking weed could be an inconvenience to multiple people as the smell rapidly took over (note that the stairwell is all indoors and is not open to the outside), but then the other person said that I was getting petty over an inconvenience.

Some things to note is that the residence agreement of the dorm states smoking weed in living spaces is a felony, so they would have been punished fairly harshly for what they did. In addition, this is in Texas, so there are different factors regarding how fair the police and the justice system is for different people. Also, the dorm building is located near the edge of the campus, so I personally felt like they could've gone off campus to a nearby field or something to smoke their joint. I don't really know what else to add, so have at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Love the ones you can answer from the title