Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ciaphas posted:

are Desktop Dungeons and Desktop Dungeons: Rewind the same game with a different coat of paint? thought I might try DD then saw I somehow have DD:R as well

Pretty much yep - if you had DD they gave you DD:R for free so you may as well just play that now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

are Desktop Dungeons and Desktop Dungeons: Rewind the same game with a different coat of paint? thought I might try DD then saw I somehow have DD:R as well
Rewind is a remake in a new engine with 3D graphics and a number of gameplay and balance changes. It was given to everyone who bought the original game as a thank-you.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

'kay. i don't suppose that odd camera angle can be changed? just like Jupiter Hell it's throwing me off in some way I can't quite put my finger on yet

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
A word of warning about Terra Nil. I got it for my partner yesterday, and it has an extremely annoying design choice that I think will mean she'll never play it again.

When you're done on a map, you have to "recycle" all of your buildings. In order to recycle them, you must build a recycling silo in range of the buildings to be recycled and a river. It must be near a river because after the buildings are recycled into the silo, a boat comes by on the river to collect the recycling.

This is incredibly annoying because the entire map is not accessible by river, which means that you have to excavate ugly channels throughout the landscape you just worked on restoring.

Apparently, in the demo you could just chain recyclers, but the dev thought it was too easy. Which, maybe it was? But, it is truly baffling to me that this was the solution to that problem that they decided to implement.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

explosivo posted:

This is crazy to me, I can't recall any game doing this before. Just screams of "we ran out of time"
Shining Force 2 had the witch in the opening say "oops, your save is gone", while the music that plays when Zeon is attacking plays at higher volume.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I really want to play Jedi Survivor asap but lol if im ever paying full price for launch games anymore

Dekk
Aug 31, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

'kay. i don't suppose that odd camera angle can be changed? just like Jupiter Hell it's throwing me off in some way I can't quite put my finger on yet

I had the same thought and couldn't figure the camera out when I played the first level, if there is an option. Rewind is really disappointing, imo.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Close:

Jedi Survivor.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Missed oppertunity, was the Furred Reich already taken?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic's still a pretty good game. Janky as all hell still though. More games need the mighty boot lol

Dekk posted:

I had the same thought and couldn't figure the camera out when I played the first level, if there is an option. Rewind is really disappointing, imo.

Camera controls are in the bottom left

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

PowerBeard posted:

Missed oppertunity, was the Furred Reich already taken?
That's the sequel.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic's still a pretty good game. Janky as all hell still though. More games need the mighty boot lol
curse of early builds of source engine

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Mr.Acula posted:

I really want to play Jedi Survivor asap but lol if im ever paying full price for launch games anymore

The penalty for day one AAA games is incredible. You pay full price (or more) to get a flawed game with less content that you can play right now instead of having a complete game at 40% discount three months later. Never buying day 1 ever again.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Acula posted:

I get all of my new releases from Greenmangaming for $40-$45 which isn’t bad. On the flip side, you can’t return them. Ultimately not an issue if you share my impeccable taste.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mr.Acula posted:

If you think you can finish it in a month, then just do the EA Pro subscription for 15 bucks

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just finished Pentiment. Probably one of the best games I've ever played. it's still 33% off for another 4 days, and it's worth more than full price anyway, so don't sleep on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Owl Inspector posted:

Just finished Pentiment. Probably one of the best games I've ever played. it's still 33% off for another 4 days, and it's worth more than full price anyway, so don't sleep on it.

It's so loving good :hai:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

running out of stuff to do and having to log off and come back the same time tomorrow for more dailies is extremely intentional. the point of those systems is to make the game into a "habit/daily routine" type thing instead of something you beat once and uninstall, so they can keep you around longer to hawk mtxes to.
i just don't think it works with this kind of game compared to an open world one. there's just more to engage with and explore every day because it's a very large world. this is more like trying to get people to log into toontown online to do dailies

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
It’s a mobile phone gacha

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I keep saying it as Honky Star Rail in my head

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Owl Inspector posted:

It's also on Game Pass! But yeah, the game is extremely good. Loved it quite a bit, and it was made by a goon.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm playing it too, without having played Genshin, nor have I played the first game of theirs Honkai 3rd impact, so this is my first jump into Hoyo games (though not my first gacha game)

There are a few things you can use the morality points, like trying to find a treasure in a water fountain requires you to hand in a point (I haven't done this because I don't know if it's important later) and I can see what you're talking about for grinding, but that doesn't bother me. I usually just do my dailies in Nier Reincarnation, (the other gacha I play) and then quit the game and do something else. I am done poopsocking these kinds of games, I did that in so many of the FF gacha games that I just don't care anymore.

I am in the underground on the ice planet (which technically is the first planet) and there seems to be plenty to do, and the humor is great, and the voice acting is OK. The story is compelling enough without being bad, and for free, you could do a lot worse. The graphics are nice, I like that it isn't open world, and it's on rails :haw: because I don't want to do a lot of thinking lately when playing games. Hit auto and just explore a map is my MO of the day.

I also don't see a point to pay money but whatever, I'm fine with that. This will probably change later on when adding hard mode optional content where you have to whale for whatever the flavor of the week is, which usually happens in gacha, but I'm just here for the story and environment.

Also there are consumables, you just use them before the boss and they give you like heals, or better defense/attack, or increased crits or whatever. You don't exactly need a healer when your ice lady gives you a shield and your Light Cones (weapons, basically) and each of those cones can give you different effects like healing or whatever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
honkai 3rd is the third game of theirs, hence the "3rd" in the name :ssh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can’t apply that logic to anime game titles at all even if it does work out sometimes

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I was just reminded of Two Worlds 2 and had a laugh. Possibly the worst video game title of all time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Never seen a game have a bibliography in the credits before, always love to see a little shoutout to Die Geschichte der Gastfreundschaft im hochmittelalterlichen Monchtum: die Cistercienser

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

is that APA formatted

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Really cannot say enough good things about Afterimage. Size wise, I’m 20 hours in and I move very fast in these games. I think I’m close to the end but know of at least 3-4 more zones I haven’t done anything on, several bosses that I’ve left up for now because they are brutally hard, and several things that scream secret ending or optional content. I probably have at least 10 hours left but I thought that 10 hours ago too.

The combat starts pretty simple but is very complex by about 5 hours in. You start unlocking weapon skills that can be chained together for great combos. The dual daggers are probably my favorite combo so far. They have a upper cut that you can chain into either a chakras throw or a diving whirlwind or both. My secondary is usually a whip for parrying projectiles but every weapon class is awesome in its own way.

The difficulty curve ramps up much higher than most games in the genre. Basic enemies become major threats as the game goes. In the later areas, many have complex move sets that rival bosses. Most basic enemies don’t appear have the same scripting as bosses so they aren’t as good at knowing where you are and the best ability to use on you.

At about what I judge to be the halfway mark, almost every boss is more complex any boss in bloodstained. There’s one boss specifically that crushed me 20+ times before I got his timings down to be him. The boss AI is as good as I’ve seen in this genre. Abilities are dependent on the boss range to you, bosses have gap closers to get close if you back out. Most encounters heavily encourage you to stay close and scrap with the boss instead of try and cheese it from range.

There’s also just really well designed traversal and jumping puzzles. Some require frame perfect absolute precision to pull off. And many, many other secrets as well. Even at 20 hours I’m finding whole need mechanics or secrets that I had no clue were there.

Outside of all that, the game is absolutely gorgeous. The environments are well-designed. Good balance of visual clutter but also space. Huge variety of enemies and abilities. Boss have great art and good themes. Great sound. Mediocre story but better than most games in the genre.

I don’t really have a major complaint about the game. Many of the bad early reviews were just early in the game and didn’t see everything start to come together. The difficulty was probably also very off putting to some players. The first two zones are pretty easy but the curve climbs very fast and doesn’t hit a ceiling that I’ve seen.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want to play Pentiment more (Still in the first chapter) but I think I came across a bug where the character glossary was spoiling a future character and I haven't been able to work up the nerve to play since :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Unlucky7 posted:

I want to play Pentiment more (Still in the first chapter) but I think I came across a bug where the character glossary was spoiling a future character and I haven't been able to work up the nerve to play since :(

The character glossary is largely irrelevant, just don't look at it if you're worried

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm now probably the last goon who played Vanquish, but wow, what a game. It's like 8bux and 5 hours long, but I think it will hold a place in my memory for a while.

The PC port is fantastic, the gunplay while sliding around and slowing time feels great, and some of the dialog has no business being this funny. If you are someone who likes to shoot big metal tanks with guns, and occasionally turn yourself into a drill to create holes in those tanks, you should probably buy Vanquish.

Why no sequel?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sold about six copies.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright, so May's just about here, here's what's due this month:

Redfall - May 2 - I cannot imagine playing this outside of Gamepass at launch. The game has looked sus since its very first gameplay trailer and I'm bracing for disappointment. While the devs have brought up Far Cry 2 as an influence, it seems more like Borderlands with vampires and theoretical trademark Arkane "multiple approaches". I just don't know.

Age of Wonders 4 - May 2 - Meanwhile the reviews on AoW4 have already come in and have been very positive (84 OC) so this is an easier one to throw on the list. Not really my genre but I know people like their 4X.

Tape to Tape - May 3 - Here's a roguelite type you've not seen before: hockey! Combining the fast tempo of something like NBA Jam (actually there was a hockey equivalent wasn't there?) with the aesthetic of a 3D NHL95, demo reviews were very optimistic/positive.

Ravenlok - May 3 - This one is an Epic exclusive for now but it will be on PC Gamepass I believe. An ARPG by the developer of Echo Generation, Ravenlok uses their gorgeous voxel style to create a large fairy tale world to fight monsters in. The combat in Echo Generation was fine but difficult, we'll see if they strike a better balance here. I don't expect the kindest reviews here but I will probably give it a shot.

Mia & the Dragon Princess - May 4 - The latest FMV game from Wales Interactive is an action story with martial artistry... these are always in the realm of "trashy fun" CYOA games and not award winners, but I'm for Wales continuing to make them.

Cook Serve Forever - May 8 (Early Access) - The fourth game in the CSF series has a much different, slicker aesthetic and seems far more tuned towards controller gameplay (quite a contrast from where the series originally started!)

Darkest Dungeon 2 - May 8 - Prepare to suffer again.

FUGA 2 - May 10 - Prepare for animal children to suffer again.

Far Cry 6 - May 11 - If I include a game in Epic Jail, I should include a game leaving Epic Jail. Here's the one with Giancarlo Esposito. Is it good, bad? IDK they all seem the same to me after 3. Remember when FC5 was like "actually the racists were correct"? Fun times.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - May 12 (Not Steam) - *jay leno voice* Anyone hear about this? Yall hear about this? This one is PC gaming relevant because half of the goons at SA who buy this game will probably be playing it via Yuzu lol

Humanity - May 16 - I've always had a fancy for Lemmings style games but they always tend to be a bit too close to the source material. Humanity looks to be its own unique imprint on the "command people to the exit" genre. Also you are a Shiba Inu. Oh and by the way, it's from Tetsuya Mizuguchi (Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect: Connected). And it has VR support.

Tin Hearts - May 16 - Ex-Fable developers making, let's see here... a Lemming-style puzzle game th--... oh.... oh no. And on the same day, you say? Oops.

Firmament - May 18 - When Cyan returned from the gaming abyss with Obduction, it was well received, and I'd say.. KIND of Myst-like. THIS is some real-rear end Myst lookin adventuring courtesy again of Cyan Worlds, and it will support VR much as Obduction did. The gimmick here is you have a device called an Adjunct that interacts with various devices in the world. Could be the Mystiest modern game since Quern.

I Am Future - May 18 (Early Access) - Described as the coziest post-apocalypse ever, this is an isometric farmy fishy crafty game. The demo was fine but not amazing. I could see it grabbing me like Dysmantle did, except Dysmantle had combat and destruction in it while this does not.

The Outlast Trials - May 18 - Outlast does away with pretending to be any kind of serious horror (which is for the best) and offers a co-op stealth horror experience for up to 4 players.

Lego 2K Drive - May 19 - Maybe the most interesting Lego game since Lego City Undercover or even Islands? Since it's Lego you can of course build your own vehicles and make them crazy, and there's an open world. Just bear in mind that it's 2K and will probably be riddled with microtransactions.

Inkbound - May 22 (Early Access) - I am trying to avoid including roguelites in these going forward unless they offer something interesting/notable to separate them, because there's just too loving many of them. This one is by the dev of Monster Train so that's notable enough to include, I think. Also it's online-only??? I've never seen an MMO roguelite before but maybe there's secretly dozens of them that no one plays.

WH40K: Boltgun - May 23 - Hell yea, now we're talking my language. Boltgun takes the world of WH40K that for some reason has repeatedly been presented in games as being something I should take seriously, and says no, do not take this seriously actually, this is a very silly looking boomer shooter. Did they obviously pixelize 3D assets? Sure. But it still looks neat. And it'll be a finished game, not 'the first episode' and you have to wait 3 years. Which I always encourage.

After Us - May 23 - This was shown at either E3 or Summer Game Fest. I'm not actually sure what it is but it looked neat in the footage at the time. Some sort of story 3d platformer? Unclear. But look at that star weiner dog.

Amnesia: The Bunker - May 23 - I actually liked the third Amnesia game, despite its issues, but neither followup has been as good as the first (nor has the series been as good, IMO, as Penumbra). This is the first Amnesia game to have an open-ish world, but it brings its focus back to keeping the lights on, which was so important in the first game, and enforced in the third but in that one it didn't really make sense. Here it does, you're in the trenches/bunkers of WW1. It's dark! You're facing personal demons probably!

Hot Heat Reset - May 25 - A hyper-fast arcadey game similar to Blitz Breaker where you zip around from edge to edge avoiding traps and collecting the gems to open and reach the exit. Has a prologue demo available.

Bat Boy - May 25 - A Shovel-like by the devs of Super Sami Roll and the Actraiser-inspired Smelter (no not the bad ACE Team one).

Above Snakes - May 25 - A survival farmy fishy crafty game where you place large tiles around your map like Forager. Has a prologue demo available.

LOTR: Gollum - May 25 - ...I truly have no idea who this is for. I don't think even LOTR fans care about this.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Swansong - May 25 - A Telltaley story game in the VTM universe by the developer of stat-checking story game The Council, escaped from Epic Jail. Got mixed reviews in 2022.

Dynopunk - May 25 - A VN about a dinosaur mechanic repairing people's gadgets (OR sabotaging them). I played the prologue (which is still available) and it seemed neat. Sort of a techy take on Coffee Talk/Valhalla.

System Shock Remake - May 30 - Okay. We're nearly here. Again. I've put this on a "it's coming out next month" list before only for it to get pushed back. Will this be the month it hits? It looks like a decent remake though I think the UI is a little odd. With Nightdive acquired by Atari, and Atari acquiring a bunch of old games they will likely be buried in port remasters going forward, so it's gonna be a bittersweet release, I'm sure. But given the dev hell the game's gone through, probably a relief too.

Poly Bridge 3 - May 30 - Where my bridge nerds at? No not... not the card game gently caress. Look at that weird rear end flappy bridge. There's gonna be some weird levels in this one I bet. I figure if you liked the first two you'll like this one.

Farworld Pioneers - May 30 - The rare goon project that makes it not only to completion but even gets main stage billing on Gamepass, Farworld Pioneers is an attempt to do Starbound but better. Will it get there? Well, people were massively disappointed by Starbound so the bar is probably going to be pretty low.

Etrian Odyssey Collection - May 31 - Three very pricey ($40 each) HD remasters that somehow manage to find a way to preserve the all-important map drawing of the series by halving the screen. For some reason the enemy sprites are not 3D like the 3DS remakes had but high res 2D art. And the english font looks bad. But, they're rescued from a dead platform and that's all that matters I guess. Will we see 4, 5 and Nexus as a separate trilogy? Probably. Not anytime soon I would imagine.

Turbo Overkill - May TBA - This is technically not the official 1.0 release but the first half of episode 3 (with the second half coming in July). Turbo Overkill has been highly praised on Steam with some calling it the best retro shooter since Dusk. You have a chainsaw leg. You can move.. quite fast.

Decarnation - May TBA - A highly intriguing indie horror game whose demo really grabbed me when I played it in the Next Fest. No specific day yet but the May date was announced just a month ago.

Vividlope - May TBA - Easily the top demo, however, that I played in the last Next Fest was this gem of an arcade game about painting all the tiles of a stage while avoiding enemies. It has a gorgeous Dreamcast-era aesthetic and music and plays like a dream. Really hyped for this one.

There are many other titles coming out this month which you can see here. I didn't list everything because not everything is to my taste or super notable. Also like I said. Too many roguelites. Too many vampire survivor clones. I'm tired. I'm 39 in 5 minutes. Goodnight lol

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 1, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Listen buying the last 2 Zelda's day one has been pretty sweet
And games by id proper

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Got around to playing Kentucky Route 0 which I bought way back when they only had the first couple acts done.
Really pretty game with some awesome locations. Music was excellent.
Story line was weird and artsy but I liked it a lot.

I guess the studio that made it hasn’t done anything recently that I could find which sucks, I’d totally play another game by them

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For System Shock Remake, early backers are playing a near complete version, so May should finally be the month after literal years of delays and an entire redo / make over of the graphics.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

Cook Serve Forever

Wait, what?! How have I not heard of this?

Gollum game feels like an executive's idea of capitalizing on the Lord of the Rings license ("What's famous in Lord of the Rings? Gollum!")

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

SilkyP posted:

Got around to playing Kentucky Route 0 which I bought way back when they only had the first couple acts done.
Really pretty game with some awesome locations. Music was excellent.
Story line was weird and artsy but I liked it a lot.

I guess the studio that made it hasn’t done anything recently that I could find which sucks, I’d totally play another game by them

No don't worry they're working on something new I promise just keep waiting

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oh man, I went down the list going "hmm, mmhmm, yep, still gonna play Tears of the Kingdom over all of this :hmmyes:" and then there's Firmament.

Goddamn, I've been waiting on this game for forever. It's finally here? The same month as Zelda? gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Darkest dungeon 2 is a goon game, friend of mine has written about 11 kazillion words for it since it went into ea