Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The worst thing you can hear after spending a while finding a package.

:haw: "A Package can be found somewhere in the [anywhere ] region of Darkscape."

I just slam the quickload key in those instances. Speaking of reloads, does anyone else have issues where a lot of ambient sounds cut out and stop working after a load?

Honestly I never bothered with the radio packages after a while, they're just too much of a pain in the rear end for what you get out of them. The fact that only one can ever exist at a time also makes it annoying because the one that spawns might be all the way on the other side of the zone and is just not worth the trip.

For the ambient sound thing, one of the odd aspects of Anomaly, which I'm pretty sure is just an issue with the base X-ray engine because I think I remember it being a thing in the original games too, is that it seems to simply not record the state of the weather at all when making a save. So when you reload it generates entirely new weather immediately. It's most noticeable if you save while it's raining and then when you load it's suddenly a nice bright sunny day (or vice versa, you save in clear weather but load and suddenly it's pouring) but there are subtler weather effects that can also be affected. A particularly weird thing to see is when you save in the middle of an emission because if you reload that save, all the emission effects will temporary cut out because the weather has reset, and then suddenly reappear when whatever "is an emission happening" script that forces the weather effects to change fires again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah the only radio quests i accepted were in small zones like wild territory, rostok, AWH, and meadow. I loving hated searching vehicle graveyard or dark valley goddamn--darkscape on the other hand wasn't too bad once you found the spawn spots because there's only like 4-5 so you just run forever towards that location and scan it quick then run to the next.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I was doing the radio packages thing hoping it went somewhere cool eventually until I got one in the darkscape and gave up after an hour and a half. The previous five or so packages were complete poo poo, just some PPSH ammo and the like. Do the packages ever get better, or go into a more interesting questline?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No, they just have some nice supplies in them sometimes. I don't really go out of my way to do them, but if I'm in the area on other business I'll track them down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly the "we lost a patrol, here's their transponder frequency, go find them" missions are quite good because you can use them to get a selection of armours from factions you aren't murdering, like the ecologists, and they also pay well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I wish Loners offered those more often. I’d love to get my hands on a Voyager or Wastelander suit.

It’s me, the weirdo who’d rather wear faction appropriate/matching armor than the bestest ones like the Merc ACE.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It seems very faction appropriate for my scavenging survivor of a loner to strip the Merc ACE suit off of the rear end in a top hat who was just trying to ventilate me, rip the patches off of it, and wear that trophy until the end of time. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wish Loners offered those more often. I’d love to get my hands on a Voyager or Wastelander suit.

It’s me, the weirdo who’d rather wear faction appropriate/matching armor than the bestest ones like the Merc ACE.

I think I have a voyager and it isn't particulaly impressive. The bandit seva suit is better, bizzarely. And I've currently swapped both out for a clear sky load bearing suit.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I finally scavenged a Merc Pathfinder that enabled me to push into Chernobyl NPP to scrape through a couple more stashes I've otherwise been unable to gather... and still not get some Expert tools.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I rather liked the Voyager in my game earlier this year, it’s a good all rounder and has great rupture (mutant) protection. basically a weaker ACE and the five slots can let you do a lot of things to cover its weaknesses or enhance its strengths

That said I’d leaned towards having the wastelander in preference. It’s better against gunfire and with the right mods has the same slots that can be used to kit out with. Good modding potential overall too. Plus for major anomaly protection I can carry a eight reduction modded SP-99 suit that only weighs like a kilogram (and doubles as a useful disguise vs the military and mercs).

Also iirc the description says it’s very comfortable. :v:

Radiation protection is kinda crap though but the helmet does most of the lifting there anyways.

Arrath posted:

It seems very faction appropriate for my scavenging survivor of a loner to strip the Merc ACE suit off of the rear end in a top hat who was just trying to ventilate me, rip the patches off of it, and wear that trophy until the end of time. :colbert:

I mean, if I got an ACE to drop I’d probably wear it cause it’s the freaking ACE but “realistically” I’d also expect my Stalker to actually modify it quite a bit while repairing it to make it look NOT like a mercenary outfit. It’s no fun getting shot by friendlies.

Like at least throw a poncho or something over it. Ponchos are peak wasteland/post-apoc fashion.

Currently wearing a loner SEVA, aka the “scientific suit” from classic SoC. It actually seems pretty decent (I don’t remember them being this bullet resistant) and I’ve been debating on investing mods into it to make it better, but I know once I do I’ll get one of the armors I really want lol.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 1, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A while back I had taken a kill mission from a Loner and must not have paid enough attention cause the target was... another loner? I finally stumbled on the guy, a Trainee level dude, and on a whim (and after saving) blew him away. I didn't seem to get penalized at all?! Also he had a Nomad suit despite being a scrub-tier Stalker?

Ok.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A while back I had taken a kill mission from a Loner and must not have paid enough attention cause the target was... another loner? I finally stumbled on the guy, a Trainee level dude, and on a whim (and after saving) blew him away. I didn't seem to get penalized at all?! Also he had a Nomad suit despite being a scrub-tier Stalker?

Ok.

Every now and then I'll see these weird beefs between members of friendly factions, and it's weird because I always wonder about the events that precipitated in that moment. Like the Clear Sky member with a negative reputation getting gunned down by an Ecologist member--what's the story behind that, you know?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Goddamn, I had a group of no less than 4 burers, among them an electro burer, attack me while at the Symbiont anomaly in Red Forest. As I was leaving through the mine tunnel, another pair of burers attacked me. I know it's all random but sometimes it feels like the game has a director A.I. like Left 4 Dead's or something.

Anyway, all that and still no expert tools in any of the stashes. gently caress Red Forest :negative:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Having to go through the process of scavenging parts and repairing gear makes upgrading your stuff so much more satisfying than just finding a bigger, better gun

Now that I've got a decent semi auto shotgun, a .45 pistol and a non-historical sniper rifle, I feel like I can handle pretty much anything in the south without breaking a sweat. I also managed to find an AEK on a monolith or freedom guy while stopping the monolith incursion alongside Gatekeeper, so I'm looking forwards to repairing that and having an assault rifle with relatively cheap ammo. 5.45 seems hard to beat in terms of cost effectiveness.
I first repaired some western assault rifle rifle that looks and feels awesome, but after I burned through the initial ammo I'd looted up to this point, I realised I don't actually have any vendors selling me the required ammo, and if I did it would probably cost me an insane amount of cash per outing, so I guess the AEK is a more realistic prospect for a mid game assault rifle

Took a quick trip into red forest and limansk without combat gear, and I don't think I'm going back up there until I've upgraded as much ballistics resistance as I can on the medium merc armor I looted, because those SIN guys in the south just instantly melted me on contact

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hang out with Freedom in the warehouses and get your reputation up, they'll happily sell you NATO ammunition.That said, the AEK kicks all kinds of rear end.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I got one of those “lost squad frequency “ missions for loners last night. Sadly the poor chaos didn’t have any armor left intact on them, but one of them did have a lovely AKS-74U Tactical which I’ve now fixed up and am loving it. I even splurged a lot of rubles to buy a combo PSO scope + canted RMR sight kit for it.

It would also have a 45 round mag for people who don’t use the magazines add on. Just seems like a good 5.45 rifle all around. Only downside I guess is a meh long range accuracy (perfect fine at medium range with the PSO though) and no grenade launcher option (but I’ve never really used those anyways).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 2, 2023

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I got one of those “lost squad frequency “ missions for loners last night. Sadly the poor chaos didn’t have any armor left intact on them, but one of them did have a lovely AKS-74U Tactical which I’ve now fixed up and am loving it. I even splurged a lot of rubles to buy a combo PSO scope + canted RMR sight kit for it.

It would also have a 45 round mag for people who don’t use the magazines add on. Just seems like a good 5.45 rifle all around. Only downside I guess is a meh long range accuracy (perfect fine at medium range with the PSO though) and no grenade launcher option (but I’ve never really used those anyways).

all of the tactical guns are going to be good, even if eventually you'll probably want to move up to 7.62 at some point to fight later enemies.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The SR1 tactical is not good. Still feel cheated that it was the first gun I fixed up and it was so middling. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you all haven't make sure to go into the settings menu and tweak the weather settings. Storms (normal ones) are turned off by default, and they're moody! I changed it so party cloudy and overcast are regular, and then Sunny, Rainy, Foggy, and Stormy are all Rare.

Roobanguy posted:

all of the tactical guns are going to be good, even if eventually you'll probably want to move up to 7.62 at some point to fight later enemies.

I assume you mean a western 7.62x51 rifle and not 7.62x39. Though I'd probably switch to even x39 if I could find something nicer than a standard AKM or AKMSN.

I've actually yet to go North beyond the barrier in this save, excepting that one jaunt into Red Forest. I've got a nice rifle, a nice suit, and plenty of supplies, and I just hit "Professional" rank. Maybe its time to go deactivate the Miracle Machine and then either push on to Zaton/Jupiter or try for the Brain Scorcher.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh drat, I found a couple dead Ecologists while clearing the biggest dog pack I've ever seen (I think overlapping spawns, was doing a "Cull" mission for Butcher) and one of them had an AK-105 on him. Now I gotta decide if I want to keep using my 74U tactical, or repair this 105 and drop some serious cash with Duty for a kit to refit it into an AK-105 Shakal, which I absolutely loved in my previous playthrough....

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
My own gun trip report:

The new model for the G36 and its integrated scope is very much improved over the original Anomaly version which had a piss filter and was nigh unusable. The new one really isn't anything to write home about compared to the plethora of other mountable scopes, but it's now a more viable option if you gotta get your Bundeswehr on.

There's a sick new lil carbine version of the Groza called the OC-14 Dolg. It's got a super cut down barrel and hilariously if you mount the special Groza adjustable scope to it, the scope will hang past the barrel. But looks aside, it's got the handling, rate of fire, and controllability of a submachine gun but it's chambered in 5.45 and you can make accurate long range bursts with it. Plus it's got a 60 round magazine and an integrated laser. I like it much more than the 9x39 standard Groza or the special 7.62x39 Nimble variant.

The only problem is that it requires an advanced weapons repair kit (not advanced tools, mind you) so it's technically gated behind expert tools. I only have advanced tools at the moment but I was luckily able to field swap parts and use heavy cleaning kits on the barrel to get mine fully repaired. I then paid a technician to install the upgrade parts (since you again need an advanced weapons repair kit to install upgrade kits), which was pricey and I normally just craft the upgrade kits myself, but it seems worth it so far by having a zippy lil submachine gun-like carbine that can push out to rifle ranges in full auto and fires cheapo 5.45. I ran through the merc encampment in Wild Territory and made a hipfire, laser assisted shot to nail the last merc up in the construction site and instantly felt it was money well spent.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Man it's nice when you can finally craft advanced tools and put your hoard of loot and piles of roubles to use. I went on a crafting spree and upgraded everything all at once, a full stalker makeover, and then took my new Saiga for a stroll to turn off the miracle machine.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If you all haven't make sure to go into the settings menu and tweak the weather settings. Storms (normal ones) are turned off by default, and they're moody! I changed it so party cloudy and overcast are regular, and then Sunny, Rainy, Foggy, and Stormy are all Rare.

What the gently caress, I had no idea these were disabled by default. Thanks for the head's up.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Got a Merc ACE suit off of a merc hit squad taking the worst contract of their now-ended lives, between that and some lucky 100% quality pelts I'm sitting pretty defense-wise. Also got an AK Alfa off of a military hit squad so I've finally been able to graduate from 5.56 to 7.62, and the bump in damage has been much-appreciated.

Still no freakin' expert tools.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I never got any hit squads after me, even in my old save. :(

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I had absolutely no one come after me for dozens of hours, then the merc and military hit squads happened in Jupiter within minutes of each other.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What’s your personal reputation? Not to any one faction but the one that goes with your rank.

I’m seeing some stuff on the discord that suggests hit squads only go after people with bad reputation, not just bad relations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Everyone fuckin' loves the Jimble.

Well, almot everyone.

As I understand it, you can always be targeted by a hit squad, but the worse your reputation/rank the higher the chance and frequency. And unless you're a Merc, they're the one faction that can target you regardless of rank and reputation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The aksu is pretty good yeah, although I do personally prefer the ak74m beard specifically because of the accuracy issues at long range with the aksu.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah it showed itself to be a good gun, but I’ve got the AK-105 Shakal now and that thing is amazing. Even with only level 1 and 2 upgrade mods I’ve got it at over 100 recoil control and it just fires tight bursts at close range. And it accuracy is still comparable to a standard length AK despite the -105 basically being a modernized -74U and the ACOG is a good scope for mid/long plinking.

I wish a version of it existed for 7.62x39.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Has anyone ever tried actually investigating one of these things? Does it actually lead to something, or is this just random flavortext?

Working on finishing up various jobs I've taken down south, then I'm gonna turn off the Miracle Machine and move north past the Barrier to Zaton or Jupiter. Probably start stocking up on AP ammo for what'll likely be the grueling slog of getting through turning off the Brain Scorcher.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah it showed itself to be a good gun, but I’ve got the AK-105 Shakal now and that thing is amazing. Even with only level 1 and 2 upgrade mods I’ve got it at over 100 recoil control and it just fires tight bursts at close range. And it accuracy is still comparable to a standard length AK despite the -105 basically being a modernized -74U and the ACOG is a good scope for mid/long plinking.

I wish a version of it existed for 7.62x39.

Isn't that the AK-106? Besides, it's not that annoying to write an caliber switch upgrade, also since the magazines already exists etc

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah the AK-104 is a thing, but I mean a modded out one like the Shakal. :v:

(I just noticed the third person model uses a... uhh elcan? That makes it the CS "Swamp Thing" variant. While the Shakal has an ACOG

[edit] A tricked out 7.62 AK Carbine does exist in Gamma, the RD-47 but its a very rare gun you usually only see the high tier badguy factions like ISG use.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 4, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is kind of funny that between the bizon, the saiga, the rifles, and the rpk you could have basically every type of weapon that's just an AK.

I don't think there is a pistol AK, alas.

Promote the stetchkin to honorary AK I guess. Or let me use the drat kiparis as a pistol!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

...gamma still comes with the unpacking tools right? Change the numbers to what you want! Modding stuff yourself is very satisfying

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah the AK-104 is a thing, but I mean a modded out one like the Shakal. :v:

(I just noticed the third person model uses a... uhh elcan? That makes it the CS "Swamp Thing" variant. While the Shakal has an ACOG

[edit] A tricked out 7.62 AK Carbine does exist in Gamma, the RD-47 but its a very rare gun you usually only see the high tier badguy factions like ISG use.

Oh man I found one of those RD-XX carbines, chambered in 9x39

It totally ruled.

E: the -704? I'm not sure, but it had 30 rounds of Soviet armor piercing goodness with rails that let me mount a good optic, so I loved it.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 4, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It is kind of funny that between the bizon, the saiga, the rifles, and the rpk you could have basically every type of weapon that's just an AK.

I don't think there is a pistol AK, alas.

Promote the stetchkin to honorary AK I guess. Or let me use the drat kiparis as a pistol!

I'd still like an Obrez for the pistol slot.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
A pseudogiant just did his slam move so hard it crashed my game :lol:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It would be very funny to try and fire that one handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That would be rad