Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My googling has failed me, but I bet this thread can help. I've got some "unknown area" black shroud stuff that simply refuses to go away, even when a dupe is standing right next to it.

Googling suggests the bug has been around since 2017 and I can't find anything more recent than 2021. Have they really not fixed this 5-year old bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Is there a special door nearby? This sometimes happens if you bruteforce your way into an area without unlocking the door. If so just unlocking the door should reveal the area. Duplicants do need a tile to stand on to unlock the door so build one if missing. Ice biomes are particularly prone to this issue if the ice melts.

If there isn't a door nearby? well, gently caress. That happens sometimes. I haven't had this happen on any recent patches though.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

If it doesn't clear by opening the door you can get a dupe's head into the space by building a tile under it and making them stand there.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Or strand the dupe on a ladder/tile directly above the area, and then have them deconstruct it. When they fall through the area it will be revealed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Thanks, although I think i might be poo poo out of luck with this one. A lot of the shrouded tiles have stuff there, which I can't dig away.

There was a door which i unlocked, but it only revealed half of it. Then I dismantled the door

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If you dig up the sand, you should be able to manually have a dupe move there.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

You can't send a dupe to a blacked out tile but if you can get their head into the blacked out area it should be revealed, so you can always do it from below unless there's neutronium in the way.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Hmm I don't see how I can get a head into the shroud at the bottom though. That terrain is undiggable.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

You need to get a dup to fall into the dark area. If their feet enter the dark area, it'll reveal itself. Use move commands to trap them on a ladder, then deconstruct the ladder to drop them.

Edit: what Rescue Toaster said :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Right, but how do I dig out the terrain behind the dark area so that they can fall into the dark area

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
You can also build multi-tile machines over darkened tiles, and the dupes will dig out the tiles and reveal them as needed.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I wonder if a robo miner would dig out darkened areas…

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You could use the dev commands to remove the Undiggable tiles so you can get in there to reveal it, then replace them after.

Fixing this kind of glitch is one of the arguments for leaving that stuff in the retail version of games, at least as I understand it.

e: I've done this with a couple of similar Undiscovered areas which ought to have been discovered, it really feels good to get on with whatever you were planning to use that area for, after you've tried to fight with this specific poo poo for awhile.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 1, 2023

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

LonsomeSon posted:

You could use the dev commands to remove the Undiggable tiles so you can get in there to reveal it, then replace them after.

Fixing this kind of glitch is one of the arguments for leaving that stuff in the retail version of games, at least as I understand it.

e: I've done this with a couple of similar Undiscovered areas which ought to have been discovered, it really feels good to get on with whatever you were planning to use that area for, after you've tried to fight with this specific poo poo for awhile.

I usually dig out / deconstruct every single tile around the black space and eventually it reveals itself after a few cycles. I think I've resorted to using dev commands one time for a single tile of black space back before Spaced Out released.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone know how you deliver food to the Gravitas Shipping Container? I can't figure it out and Google isn't much help.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

You click on the mailbox and select an item like you would display something on a pedestal. The food needs to meet a minimum quality (+4 I think) for it to show up, so you'll need to get a gas range together most likely.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh, crap. Barbecue is only +3. Thanks.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I did some experimenting with geotuning. Most notably that a salt water geyser and chlorine vent sustain each other when geotuning. My map had surprisingly little water, so getting everything I could out of the one salt water geyser was important.

Since the salt water geyser starts coming out as just under 200C steam, I hooked it up to an infinite steam storage & aquatuner setup like Toni used for a hot steam vent. But just operated on demand when water or power is needed, and you can ignore capping ports and all the calculations. Mine is blasting out over 5Kg/s average-over-time 175C steam, which is pretty crazy when you think about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg32TdZGJQs

The chlorine vent feeds a little sqeaky puft ranch, using this design to keep one puft prince and two squeaky pufts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igz33PTQ8qg

The main reason I like geotuning is it gives researchers something to do late game. Best to stagger out their schedules too so they don't all go to sleep at the same time, if your design depends on a vent releasing steam, for example.

EDIT: Boy the game is really buggy these days for me. Dupes keep getting stuck on pathing, can't get in or out of rockets. I've had dupes just start suffocating while standing in oxygen and not wearing a suit? Just endless cycles of holding breath and then gasping for air while standing in 2KG oxygen. More problems with things not exchanging temperature than I've ever had before. Everything's fixed with a reload but man am I doing it WAY more often than I ever have before. I also feel like the performance is as bad as it's ever been, or even worse especially when showing plumbing overlays and the like.

EDIT 2: I also had a dupe mysteriously walk past an atmo suit checkpoint and die, with absolutely no construction or anything going on where they could have 'teleported' past it. Probably a save/load right at the instant they were standing on the checkpoint, I guess, as it happened shortly after loading. AND I have the freaking every-space-artifact-is-an-office-mug bug again this run, so I can't finish the achievement because literally every single artifact is an office mug! loving hell this game is broken.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 28, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
What should I have before I take on the space and rocket stuff? I have 200 hours in this game but have never launched a rocket and barely touched the space gameplay. Do I need to have a plastic industry?

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Vanilla or Spaced Out?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think all you really technically need is refined metal, algae, food, and CO2.

However plastic is consumed during a somewhat later function you do in space.

E: rockets don’t require upkeep or constant power or anything. You can do one flight and then let the rocket sit for 500 cycles if you want.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 30, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'm embarrassed by how much time I've spent playing this game and never getting beyond a water death spiral.

Finally got a good run going on a Rime asteroid (non-DLC) where I've got stable food and water supply, heat is solved (well, a little over solved, whoops I thought those heaters stopped at room temp) and hatches making coal. Have a cool steam vent just below my base supplying fresh water and free heat and power eventually and just about to finish polluted water recycling.

Here's my noob base, I'm probably loving up a lot of poo poo, like those plants that aren't growing because I let those heaters run the temp up to >120f in that corner.

Biggest change besides having plenty of water, coal and heat nearby in this seed was to stop getting a new dupe every time I could. In the past I'd have probably 15 or so dupes before I'd death spiral and restart. This time I spent more time picking the starting ones and only added good options until I had the bases covered, so 7 dupes right now.

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

...was to stop getting a new dupe every time I could. In the past I'd have probably 15 or so dupes before I'd death spiral and restart.

Absolutely a great idea.

I have played thousands of hours of this game and have barely topped 16 dupes even with colonizing all the asteroids in the DLC and leaving staff behind to run the place.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I usually do a full barracks of 8 dupes (8 beds crammed as close as you can in the max size for the room) for a long time, only expanding if I'm really comfortable with self-sustainability or sometimes when the first asteroid base (Spaced Out, with teleporter access) is ready to have a rotating stream of dupes (I think you get a free dupe when you get there) so like 9 at most up until the comfortable mid-game.

But I also play on Easy/Relaxed mode and hand pick my starting dupes so I could probably push it a little more if I wanted. I'll get up to 16 or so eventually but it's very common advice to be conservative with accepting them into your base and picky about the traits you get; you'll always get a reroll on a fixed schedule so being too low on dupes can easily be solved; having too many dupes, much less so (guess you could send them to die somewhere if you needed to reduce consumption before it gets out of control).

Been a while since I played, put so many more hours into it than most games and never really got space travel "properly" established. I think I'll use an airlock mod if I start another run, its so tedious to build waterlocks manually all the time...

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I installed an airlock mod a long time ago and never looked back. This is the one I'm using: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2542160819 - if you force open an airlock it will still let liquid/gas through, and it doesn't insulate against temperature so you still need to set up vacuum locks in and out of hot/cold areas.

----

I've spent most of this extended weekend trying to plan and design an ideal base, one that is planned from the beginning and doesn't have compromises for short-term goals while also fulfilling a bunch of requirements.

Starting from the top left:

Lab (top) | Glossy Dreckos
Lab (bottom) | Regular Dreckos
5x General purpose / farming / ranching floors
Temporary power / kitchen | Great hall
Dead space / food storage | General item storage / printing pod
2x bedroom floors (8x private bedroom each)
Atmo Docks / Nature Reserve | Suit repairs, clothing, etc.
Combined pwater/co2/filtration system / bathroom | Water tank access
And then the bottom levels are kind of combined into the main components of SPOM, cooling, and water tank.

All power runs up the left side of the base into transformers for each floor. Ignore the petroleum generator inside, that was temporary just to get things running and not currently active.

Although there's still residual heat from that, eventually it will even out. SPOM is semi-self-cooled, input water runs through the cooling brick first. This cools all the outgoing oxygen and then the rest of the base by association.

Not a lot of plumbing going on in the main base; if not for the bristle blossom farms I would need no pipes above the bathroom level. Excess bathroom water is sent to, in order of priority: Clean water to SPOM, clean water to lab, dirty water to thimble reeds. I've had 5 dupes most of this game so I haven't seen any water make it past the SPOM yet, and I'm like 80% done with research, so next time around I might send the water to the lab first. A mesh tile below the atmo suit checkpoint lets any accidents get picked up and input into the same system.

Prepare yourself for this one. It's not as bad as it looks, but it's still pretty bad. This is one of those on-the-fly compromises I was trying to avoid and think I know how to do it better next time. So here's the gas pipes:

The center SPOM pipe is the main oxygen supply for the base, it should be enough for 16 dupes because they will be spending almost all of their time in atmo suits. The bridge mess is to get the priorities straight: first the main pipe splits 50/50 between left and right side of the base, the side pipes go first to 8 docks each and then overflow onto each of the side pipes. In theory the atmo docks could be running full blast all the time and there'd still be 1.4kg/s going into the main base (1kg from the main pipe and 200g from each of the side pipes).

The hydrogen loop cools the food storage, and I have a temporary extra pipe to keep the dreckos' mealwood cool until I start moving enough oxygen through the base for the cooling to have enough of an effect.

I'm in the middle of transitioning from the old bedrooms (where I just had 3 cots stuffed into each of the future private bedroom areas until I had enough plastic). A bonus nature reserve in the top half of the main ladder shaft catches anyone heading to the great hall, while the one next to the atmo docks gets anyone leaving from or returning to the base. I think I will try to use peppernuts for all of my future nature reserves, since you can hang them from inside the room and still get the movement bonus from having tiles on the floor everywhere, and it's easier to leave natural tiles above when doing the early base.

The lab incorporates all 4 lab buildings, local storage (also fed by conveyor sweeper) for dirt, water storage next to the advanced lab that never got filled, and wheezeworts for radiation science, also fed by sweeper so the dupes never need to stand in rads. When research is done I can rip out most of it and fit 7 geotuners in there.

----

So it's still not perfect by any stretch but I'm most of the way there. Need to do better scouting so I don't have to have that indent in the top left for an oil reservoir, need to prioritize water better so I have local water available in the lab for advanced research, and still need to get a permanent food solution (bristle blossoms are nice but they're chewing through my water and so far I've only found a cool steam vent for renewable sources, at least until I get a petroleum boiler online). I would also probably move the loom stuff so I can have atmo docks exiting both sides of the base; in any regard I would definitely lower the top of the water tank to be entirely below the bathroom level so I don't have to have that kludge gas pump in the bottom right cycling CO2 to the bathroom skimmer.

This plan also doesn't include sustainable water, or power generation, but that's almost always going to be outside the main base so I didn't plan for it outside of having a large tank for storing water and power connections to the outside.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

[I'm in this picture and I don't like it.]

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RandomBlue posted:

Here's my noob base, I'm probably loving up a lot of poo poo, like those plants that aren't growing because I let those heaters run the temp up to >120f in that corner.
I’m 99% sure you’re going to run into a problem eventually having your incubator inside the stable, because the egg in it counts as a creature for “crowded” purposes. Other than that, looks pretty good.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 6, 2023

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Working on a new dumb idea. My current petroleum boiler is running off a magma heat spike so it's just solidifying into solid tiles. Sure I'm losing half the mass when I mine those out but I also have a lot of magma sea. But the mined out debris doesn't transfer heat very quickly, even sitting on top of diamond window tiles. So how to get the heat out of the debris?

Well a petroleum boiler doesn't really care where it gets the heat from, as long as it's transmittable into the oil. The obvious solution is to put it on conveyor rails and run it through some kind of medium to extract the heat. But gases just don't transfer heat fast enough nor do they have enough mass to have any significant amount of heat capacity. I could just run it through solid steel tiles but that's a lot of steel and also only 100kg per tile. The medium also needs to handle temperature ranges from ~400C up to ~1400C where the debris is coming from. There is exactly one liquid in the game that is stable inside that temperature range: lead, from about 325 to 1750C.

I'm still in the process of putting it together and I really should test this in a sandbox world but according to the wiki liquid lead sits at 9970kg per tile. First problem: how do you liquefy that much lead? I don't have thermium, I've barely even gone to the surface on this map except to put some CO2 vents in space. Well, the good news is I don't need to liquefy 10 tons per tile from the start. So what I'm doing is manually mopping some 400C petroleum out of my existing boiler, and dumping it into the petroleum chamber of the new boiler. This will transfer the heat to a lead tempshift plate. Once I can get 800kg of lead to stay liquid, I can start running debris through it and build more tempshift plates until I have over a full tile of molten lead. Then I can start metering more lead into the chamber until it fills up.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Xerol posted:

Working on a new dumb idea. My current petroleum boiler is running off a magma heat spike so it's just solidifying into solid tiles. Sure I'm losing half the mass when I mine those out but I also have a lot of magma sea. But the mined out debris doesn't transfer heat very quickly, even sitting on top of diamond window tiles. So how to get the heat out of the debris?

Well a petroleum boiler doesn't really care where it gets the heat from, as long as it's transmittable into the oil. The obvious solution is to put it on conveyor rails and run it through some kind of medium to extract the heat. But gases just don't transfer heat fast enough nor do they have enough mass to have any significant amount of heat capacity. I could just run it through solid steel tiles but that's a lot of steel and also only 100kg per tile. The medium also needs to handle temperature ranges from ~400C up to ~1400C where the debris is coming from. There is exactly one liquid in the game that is stable inside that temperature range: lead, from about 325 to 1750C.

I'm still in the process of putting it together and I really should test this in a sandbox world but according to the wiki liquid lead sits at 9970kg per tile. First problem: how do you liquefy that much lead? I don't have thermium, I've barely even gone to the surface on this map except to put some CO2 vents in space. Well, the good news is I don't need to liquefy 10 tons per tile from the start. So what I'm doing is manually mopping some 400C petroleum out of my existing boiler, and dumping it into the petroleum chamber of the new boiler. This will transfer the heat to a lead tempshift plate. Once I can get 800kg of lead to stay liquid, I can start running debris through it and build more tempshift plates until I have over a full tile of molten lead. Then I can start metering more lead into the chamber until it fills up.

Francis John has a couple of videos recently about melting steel tiles in a rocket. I'd suggest looking those up to see how to more easily handle melting metals without blowing up everything.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Conveyor rails carrying refined carbon can transport vast amounts of heat. Embed them in diamond tiles touching solid obsidian to extract the heat. Debris on the floor does bugger all, but replace the floor with diamond windows, embed the rails, and add a tempshiftplate made of lead to melt. The layer of molten lead thermally connects the debris to a diamond floor, and the carbon loop transports it to another diamond block right by the steel door that controls the boiler.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 9, 2023

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah I've been watching that series. I just didn't have any convenient heat sources anywhere near where I wanted to melt the lead. And it would've broken any pump I could use to move it.

It took a lot of fiddling and a lot of lead but I eventually got it running.

Molten lead is indeed 10 tons per tile. That's 120 tons of molten lead. It took quite a bit of heat to get it all melted but after about halfway I was able to dump the rest in all at once. In addition to running the hot debris through, I'm also looping diamond through a conveyor rail in the still-liquid magma (guess I could also run it inside conveyor rails inside diamond window tiles?) for a lot of extra heat. This thing holds so much energy it could probably run a quad boiler.

I don't actually have conveyor filters yet (haven't gone to space and used all my local data banks on pixel packs) but eventually the plan is to send the diamond directly back to the magma once it's too cool for the heat chamber (440 degrees C seems to work best for that) and the debris would go through the counterflow. It comes out at not much above the input oil temperature, 110 vs. 105C in my case. It's certainly a nice way to get all the energy out of hot items if you want to use them elsewhere. There's a gold volcano right above this boiler and I might feed the hot gold into this too.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 10, 2023

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Why did my polluted water pool all go live in this tile?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
There are 2 different types of gas trapped there, so they can't merge with other gases and water can't compress them smaller than 1 tile each (edit: well, at least one tile per type of gas, but it won't push the bottom layer of CO2 up to compress the polluted oxygen above it). When that happens the water will fall through the gas and the game has no way to handle that other than letting the liquid build up.

It's pretty easy to make if you ever want to and I always think it's funny when it happens on its own.

If you want it back you can release it all by digging out that single algae tile and watch it explode back out in a few seconds (edit: actually one more tile because liquid and gas tiles can't move diagonally)

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 22, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Creating an accidental piss flood by cracking that open and allowing the whole system to decompress sounds like one of those horrifying industrial accidents that people are still talking about a century later.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
ONI physics degree

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I’m so excited for the bleachstone machine!!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

FJ just used that mechanic to drain the entire water planet into a handful of tiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v893Kmmy5I4

Reading the preview update notes...

quote:

Care packages for seeds, food, critters, and eggs which require you to first discover them are now available after cycle 500.

Does that mean they will only appear after cycle 500? I'm also not entirely clear on which items are part of that category, like I've had omelets show up before even researching the grill before. But things like plastic and lime seem to only show up after you have some, and not being able to get any out of the pod until cycle 500 seems pretty bad. Hopefully this gets rolled back and/or made configurable.

A high temperature plastic seems really good, being able to run transit tubes through warm areas or using radbolt joint plates in reactors are both things that are difficult-to-impossible currently. Not sure if waxing transit tubes is going to be worth the effort. I've never actually bothered with gassy moos since they're a pain to get in the first place and seem like a greater pain to manage once you have them. Hopefully we get a new critter or morph that can be milked so the milking station isn't just for cows - maybe a grubgrub milk that can be turned into fertilizer? Then again, the shearing station is still just for dreckos.

Getting renewable bleach stone without having to deal with pufts is going to be amazing especially for hot salt water geysers (which can be fed back into more bleach stone once geotuned to emit just steam and salt). I guess you could also use this to get renewable chlorine if you don't have a chlorine gas vent, which makes the moos a little easier I suppose.

The critter mood changes sound interesting, it makes it seem like it's not going to be a strict binary "can/cannot lay eggs" thing and instead a balance of multiple factors. Or maybe it's still a binary thing but you can stack different beneficial factors to make the maximum ranch size bigger? Critter traps being metal instead of plastic is such a nice change, seems like they want to patch/deprecate the "wrangle excess" exploit anyway so this will help get away from relying on that (although I think tamed critters should always be wrangleable). Critters thinking more often so they don't starve is double-edged, it might make performance even worse in large lategame colonies.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Xerol posted:

Does that mean they will only appear after cycle 500?

It feels like that's meant to be "If you haven't found any by cycle 500, it starts showing up in care packages, because what the christ are you doing"

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Changing overcrowding mechanics to have some granularity would be a nice (if small) early game boon for before you have automatic egg disposal tech.

The critter trap change basically just makes them actually useful now and I appreciate it.

My biggest worry is that they’ll change the currently valid/intended methods of ranching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
I always end up shifting to feeding my guys with plants, because I usually go for 40ish dupes and when you ranch enough to feed that the pathfinding slows it down, at least on my computer.

Slowing down wouldn't be so bad except that when it slows down it messes up a bunch of stuff. Dupes will stand idle for several seconds when switching between tasks. Any sort of time sensitive automation is prone to messing up, like lava droppers for geothermal will open and shut without releasing lava unless the speed is turned down. I think that's actually on the fluid mechanics end.

Maybe they've fixed some of that, I only just started playing again and there have been several patches since then.