Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Budzilla posted:

I don't read the Courier Mail. Should I start again?

God no. Just read the Brisbane Times, it’s the ninefax paper for Queensland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

In theory; but I doubt the murderer was overly concerned with putting her body in the correct bin, especially given it seems she was killed over her penchant for obsessing over whether people were putting things in the right bin.

There's got to be some other poo poo going down because it seems like a weird assumption vs 'misadventure' for an old woman who regularly bin dives.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

G-Spot Run posted:

There's got to be some other poo poo going down because it seems like a weird assumption vs 'misadventure' for an old woman who regularly bin dives.

Very likely.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

G-Spot Run posted:

they've said they can't rule out foul play yet but it's not a confirmed murder or anything either

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

a couple of the articles cite the police saying they believe her body was dumped in a bin. to phrase it like that suggests they have evidence that she was dead before she was put in the bin.

these are wheelie bins, unless she was built like a 9yo it's wheelie hard to fall into one without tipping it over.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Not to mention you’d expect the bins to be full on bin day so you’d probably have to make space.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

lol what

quote:

“Ongoing investigations can reveal that on the morning of Tuesday, the 28th of March this year, the body of a female we believe was Lesley Trotter was located in a general waste wheelie bin,” he said.

“It was evident she was deceased. Due to the positioning of the body, we can’t rule out foul play.

“Later that morning that bin was collected by a rubbish truck.”

someone saw a body in a bin?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TheIdiotTax/status/1652121084651790337

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
gently caress they're so bad. They really don't want to improve things for workers too much.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Turns out all business ever needed to do was to donate more money than the failing union movement could afford to match. They could have had moderately competent governance AND their interests met all this time!!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Mia__Kennedy/status/1652463716284370944

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I'm looking forwards to reading the rusted-on Labor comments! :shepicide:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

SecretOfSteel posted:

I'm looking forwards to reading the rusted-on Labor comments! :shepicide:

green threat

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
In the most powerfully "Australian Man" energy I've ever seen:

9 News Australia posted:

Australian man arrested after drunk, naked rampage in Indonesia

A young Australian man could face 40 lashes and five years in jail after allegedly going on a drunk, naked and violent rampage in Indonesia.
Bodhi Mani Risby-Jones, a 23-year-old from Noosa, was detained in the early hours of Thursday morning in the country's ultra-conservative province of Aceh. Public canings are a regular punishment in the province, meaning the 23-year-old could be lashed up to 40 times, as well as face five years in prison.

Bodhi Mani Risby-Jones, 23, from Noosa has been detained over an alleged naked, alcohol-fuelled rampage outside an Aceh resort. The alleged incident left a person in hospital and prompted residents to threaten to burn the Moon Beach Resort down on the island of Simeulue, off the coast of Sumatra. Risby-Jones has been named as a suspect by police and faces up to five years in prison if he is convicted. The province enforces Sharia law, meaning the sale and consumption of alcohol is banned.

Simeulue police chief Senior Commissioner Jatmiko - who, like many Indonesians, goes by one name - said the victim's wife had made a report to police and four witnesses had been questioned. Jatmiko said Risby-Jones was being detained at Simeulue police station and would face court.
He confirmed the Queenslander would not be deported.  An Indonesian police report stated two residents of Lantik Village were about to buy cigarettes at a stall when a "foreign citizen" appeared from a ditch and chased them. "They accelerated their motorcycle towards a coffee shop, the perpetrator chased them while rampaging so that local residents were frightened, the perpetrator also lifted a motorbike, causing a local resident (to fall) off and (be) injured," the police report said. The report said Risby-Jones also hit the wall of a coffee shop. "Perpetrator's action provoked the anger of the residents, then they chased and caught the perpetrator," the report said. The residents brought him to a local police station.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Jatmiko said the Queenslander had been drinking from a bottle of vodka before emerging without clothes after midnight. Officers said a half-empty bottle was found but Risby-Jones told them he hadn't been drinking. "He got out of his room naked. The security man attempted to stop him but got hit at the neck and fell down," Jatmiko told the Sydney Morning Herald. "He then went on to the street and disturbed passers-by. He hit almost everyone who was on the street." The police report said the local victim suffered injuries to his feet after Risby-Jones allegedly pushed a motorcycle into him. He received 50 stitches in hospital.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

quote:

But there were professional failures as well. Orana went into voluntary administration in 2020, owing creditors millions of dollars. In 2002, Zonfrillo set fire to the pants of an apprentice chef who was later awarded damages of $75,000. According to the victim, Martin Krammer, Zonfrillo “never paid a cent”.

WTF was that man doing on television and the public lauding of his death is a disgrace.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Hey they let Calombaris on tv, it seems to be a thing with chefs

https://twitter.com/maximumwelfare/status/1652927920485330945

what a poo poo record, i could beat that record

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Reports coming out that job seeker is getting a boost.

Only for over 55's lol.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Senor Tron posted:

Only for over 55's lol.

What

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
get in the loving bin

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
happy mayday to everyone at the pub rn from the table of nerdy awu dudes ranting about the 2019 election to the table of etu dudes who are daring their mate to try to do a backflip

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Was on 7 News tonight as one of the top stories, behind dead chef.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Senor Tron posted:

Was on 7 News tonight as one of the top stories, behind dead chef.

Did they mention he put his apprentice on fire and never paid a cent for it? I had not known that before.

I'm sorry he didn't die sooner, little lone became a TV star.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1652949862521139200

The thing about jobseeker, found the video on it.

labor really is just the liberal party, aren't they

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Senor Tron posted:

Only for over 55's lol.

I have no idea if this ridiculous poo poo is true, but my heart says "yes, you know it is"

edit: ^^^ always listen to your heart....

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

maybe they are eliminating the old person's pension :)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Youth allowance until 55.
Jobseeker until retirement at 110.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Un

loving

believable.

I can't even call them craven any more. They're just cunts.

lih
May 15, 2013

congratulations to labor for finding a way to increase jobseeker while still making everyone extremely mad at them

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
i would never have predicted labor would set their next under 30 campaign strategy to 'gently caress you, vote green' but here we are

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Mysticblade posted:

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1652949862521139200

The thing about jobseeker, found the video on it.

labor really is just the liberal party, aren't they

Former lib government just straight up bodyswapped huh

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
loving boomers

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

G-Spot Run posted:

i would never have predicted labor would set their next under 30 campaign strategy to 'gently caress you, vote green' but here we are

"What are you gonna do, vote green?" ~Man who lost his electorate to Green.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

What's the justification for it? I know what the actual justification is (only old people matter as a voting bloc) but what are they saying the justification is?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I'll take a stab in the dark and say that over 55's find it harder to take physically demanding jobs, or reskill, or move to find work. It has a ring of truth but doesn't take away that it's a lovely policy.

My guess is that ALP didn't want to spend the money to lift everyone so they figured if they had to preference one group, over 55s would bitch and moan the loudest if they were left out. Yes they'll lose younger votes to greens but the preferences will flow back to ALP.

Are over 55s still boomers? Have to be gen X at the lower end now, surely.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the oldest gen xers are 58 this year so kind of but also not

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The ALP can’t go on about fiscal responsibility while still allowing the stage 3 tax cuts, it’s just loving wild.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

freebooter posted:

What's the justification for it? I know what the actual justification is (only old people matter as a voting bloc) but what are they saying the justification is?

Other 55s are discriminated against and therefore sit on jobseeker for long, especially women. Which sounds nice in theory until you realise that the system demands we have unemployed and jobseeker is below the poverty line, an ethical nightmare. And that 'younger' people find it harder to get promoted because of a bunch of boomers refusing to retire and just clogging up the high level jobs.

I'm not happy about it, but let's not kid ourselves here. Liberals never would have given a partial rise to jobseeker, their plan was to refuse to give jobseeker to people under 26(?) until they'd been unemployed for 6 months.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most of the high level jobs get closed or folded into other jobs when the boomers who'd been doing fuckall for years anyway finally retire or die.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
The next bit of info that will drop is that it's a $2/day increase anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

freebooter posted:

jim chalmers posted:

First of all, the jobseeker payment already makes a distinction between workers closer to the age pension, older workers, it already pays a different rate at the moment for people over 60. And that’s in recognition that it is harder to find a new job at that end of your working life. That’s the first point.

The second point is related. All of the expert advice a lot of the analysis I’ve heard it on your show, and it’s been right, says that the group that’s most likely to be long-term unemployed – people over 55 – that that group is dominated by women that the most vulnerable part of the unemployed population in Australia is at the moment women over 55. And so that’s another issue that people need to factor in.

The third one is that no government can satisfy all of the calls for more spending in the budget even from people and from groups whose views we welcome and respect.