Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

It's chromed. As a manner of habit, I assume. I doubt anyone makes anything else for a GN125 (most bottom-dwelling, food-and-mail-deliverying motorcycle).

I just don't want it to rust out as quickly, due to riding year-round. Might as well do something to it while it's new and off the bike.

unless you're riding in a place with road salt, 4-5 years is still way short so it must be real cheap chrome plating full of micro pinholes (unsurprising). it's just how cheap parts are; i had a set of no-name chrome handlebars that started to rust within a year and the bike was stored indoors! properly done good hard chrome lasts decades.

if you are riding on salted winter roads, i salute you, but yeah then you're just gonna have to accept that your vehicle is disposable.

i wonder if it would help to periodically rub on a thin layer of oil and bake it on with the exhaust heat, like seasoning a frying pan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

unless you're riding in a place with road salt, 4-5 years is still way short so it must be real cheap chrome plating full of micro pinholes (unsurprising). it's just how cheap parts are; i had a set of no-name chrome handlebars that started to rust within a year and the bike was stored indoors! properly done good hard chrome lasts decades.

is there any way to know in advance what you've got or is it just a case of seeing how it holds up? The chrome exhaust on my W800 went off super fast, but the chrome fenders seem nigh indestructible (though it probably helps that the fenders aren't getting heat cycled every ride)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It might be worth noting that, the last time this happened, I replaced the rusted-out OEM exhaust with something off of Ebay, not wemoto. A $160 unit from Mexico (judging from how the listing was in Spanish, but the part, new. was located in Florida. The GN125 was still being offered for sale new in the other Americas at the time). It had this nifty little heat shield on the muffler part that the North American-spec OEM exhaust didn't have.

This cheap deal from wemoto doesn't have that, so maybe you're right, and I should try to "season" it... The rest of the bike is cosmetically written off, anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

if you are riding on salted winter roads, i salute you, but yeah then you're just gonna have to accept that your vehicle is disposable.

i wonder if it would help to periodically rub on a thin layer of oil and bake it on with the exhaust heat, like seasoning a frying pan?

GN's have a special kind of "chrome" that rusts insanely fast, his experience isn't unusual, it's very common for the header studs to snap like balsa wood when you try to take the exhaust off at the other end too.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Why not some high-heat engine paint?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ulf posted:

Why not some high-heat engine paint?

This is the right answer. Barring that, BBQ grill paint

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Being a GN125 I think barbecue paint is most appropriate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I kinda like the idea of a bike painted up with gloss white appliance enamel

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

GN125 BBQ Edition

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I once did a service on a gn250 and I noticed there was compression chuffing out from the head gasket on the LH side. It had a really lean pilot setting so it probably got too hot in traffic and warped the head. The lady wasn't bothered, didn't see the point in addressing it. Just gn owner things.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Just gn owner things.

100%

Russian Bear posted:

GN125 BBQ Edition

100%

I've said this on this forum before, but an outdoor grill cover actually makes a really good (small) motorcycle cover. I use the Classic Accessories one. Even the EX250 fits under it.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

By the by, wemoto just e-mailed me and said that the actual shipping cost of said part is 220% what's listed on the site :mad: OK whatever.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
That reminds me I need to rant about PartZilla.

Over and over again I get suckered by their “In Stock” or “Ships in 1-2 business days”. Every time I’m waiting 2-3 weeks for a locknut or whatever because I was too lazy to wait for my dealer to open on Tuesday to order it by phone.

This time I wanted some OEM clutch springs from Honda. PartZilla had them “In Stock” and RevZilla had them with 10-14 business day availability. They were only $15 and I wanted them within a week so I ordered from both to see which would win out. RevZilla already has them in the mail but no sign of anything from PartZilla yet. Maybe this time I’ve learned? Time will tell.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Wemoto always disappoint me. It'll probably show up a week late as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just search for the part number on eBay. There's always some random dude in Kentucky or whatever who has the parts in stock for about the same price as everywhere else, with free shipping, and they arrive in 4 days.

Sorry RevZilla.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Except for those fuckers on eBay who list the item location as the USA and then it ships from Indonesia.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I do that too but for some reason half the sellers only had one clutch spring for sale :confused:, only offered used clutch springs (thanks, got four of those), were outside the USA, or had shipping set to $15.

The one remaining seller that still qualified was named ”partzillamarketplace”. Nice try, Satan.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
It is not a coincidence that the old men who spend their time on the Triumph Rat forum don’t believe in climate change and also need a thread about how to avoid Facebook scams.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
that is a hilarious one-two punch

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Geekboy posted:

It is not a coincidence that the old men who spend their time on the Triumph Rat forum don’t believe in climate change and also need a thread about how to avoid Facebook scams.

Thread title: Upgrading your Speed Triple on a budget because you liquidated your 401k to buy Google Play giftcards

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Talk to your neighbours!

Happened to run into mine outside on the way to work today and he mentioned there was a rumour going around the estate that somebody had tried to steal some bikes but didn't manage to get through the chain; went out back to check on mine and all the actual chains were untouched, but there was about a 5mm chunk taken out of the garden gate deadbolt plate.

Really ragged lovely cut too, think they must have been going at it with a junior hacksaw or something, not even power tools. Looks like whoever it was busted one end of the fence open to get in, saw there was no way to get anything out past the brick planters sitting up against the fence, and decided to start trying to get the gate open.

Highly doubt they'd manage to shift any of the bikes like that, but no telling if they'll come back with a real grinder or something. We're not riding right now so gonna see if we can find somewhere else to stash them for a bit while we beg the family for money to fix the fence properly.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Saw a current model Honda Rebel with probably straight pipes today. It wasn’t just obnoxiously loud, it also sounded like absolute poo poo. Such a wet fart of an engine sound.

I get enjoying the loud pipes, even though it means we probably can’t be friends. But at least make sure it sounds good while also being loud.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sadly for many people loud = good

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
PO of my vfr has in a case of "buying poo poo for the bike in the winter" an slip on order that is late in shipping. He wondered if I wanted it for cheap when it arrives. He said a low figure and I said sure. I kinda miss the noise of leo vince cans my fz6n had. The stock can on the vfr is pretty quiet. We'll see how the aftermarked can is.
I do enjoy the vtec yo kicking in(and its really smooth, no lurking or unexpected kick), but it only really have a chance to kick in during normal riding when accelerating from slow intersections to 50mph zones or on ramp accelleration

I also need to fiddle with the fully adjustable damping, it's clearly set up for two up riding + luggage. Pretty firm, bordering to harsh when riding solo which is 99% of my riding. Touring and twisities are fun on it, I did a 300km/180 mile roundtrip to the closest border for cheep beer and actually testing the bike yesterday. I cruised on boring straight main roads to and took back roads back, it handled both excellent. I'll play around with the aftermarket and stock windshield + high or low seat to see what gives the less wind turbulence vs my height. I'll also go back to Pirelli tires when the road 6 tires that are on it are used up. It reminded me of why I stopped buying michelin, so much slower to tip into corners.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 23, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Oh god loving damnit.

All brake parts for the SV arrived. I start removing the calipers and poo poo.

They're so dirty that i don't trust the brake lines to be any good anymore. A little voice is telling me 'Just flush them, it'll be fine, the FZR's brake lines turned out to be fine too after destructively tearing them down' and then obviously i'll regret it 2 years later when the freshly cleaned calipers are dirty again because of muck hiding in the brake lines.

I'm so loving tired from work, i finally have some vacation, and now this bullshit. Both FZR and SV out of service. I anticipated 'some' dirt in the SV's system and only having to clean out the calipers and put new seals into them, but not to having to tear down the complete brake system.

[muffled screams]

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 23, 2023

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Sounds like a good time to install all steel brake lines and justify it as an improvement instead of just working to get back to a baseline..ya know.. while you are in there 😉

At least that's how my kind works. We can rebuild it... better... stronger than before.../weird six billion dollar man reference

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

There's also something to be said for "gently caress trying to work with old/corroded components, put new shiny poo poo in and start fresh"

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Everything except for the caliper bodies and pads is gonna be replaced. Ordered new braided brake lines and pistons. Brake master already has a revision set installed. New rubber parts for the calipers have already arrived.
The rear will get the same treatment, if it turns out to be just as full of muck, but it works fine for now and the priority is on getting the front working. I'll do the rear too, somewhere before summer vacation. I forgot if i actually already ordered the revision kit or not.

Pistons turned out to be pitted all over the part that sticks out *beyond* the fluid seal (so the area between the two seals, and what contacts the pads). Probably at some point, in winter, salty ice water worked its way behind the probably already not-perfect-anymore dust seal, and sat and festered there for a while.

The bores are still perfect with their original machining pattern and no other marks in it, but the pistons would wreck the new dust seal within a few years due to the pitting in them. Did a quick try to fix them up but it was hopeless.

It would've been cheaper to buy new 2nd hand calipers, but god knows in what condition those would be. At this point my brain is mush from work, and i'd rather spend a few bux extra on the stuff i know exactly in what condition it is, than to mount used calipers and find out that they needed a revision kit anyway. I don't have the brain power to research what type of better calipers would fit the bike without modifying anything.

Anyway, time to ride my bicycle to the parts shop to get the FZR600's fuel pump and some fresh fuel line. At least if i install that i'll have one fully functional bike again. Should be a small job... Words that have been spoken in error many times.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 25, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
First time in a while I've had a need to venture into model specific bike forums, and the solutions and opinions people spew out is still mind boggling. No, i'm not on facebook, why do you ask?

But I kinda liked this one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That weight hack is………..sort of legit?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Sadly the nighthawk forum which was a trove of knowledge about the post-golden-years CB750 that I work on has disappeared as of a few months ago, taking 20 years of sometimes-useful tricks and knowledge with it. :(

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Search engine searchable internet forum posts contain so much knowledge, it's a shame that part of the internet is dying and humanity is worse off for it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That weight hack is………..sort of legit?
Hey if it does the job and doesn't affect the axle, then what the heck!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Invalido posted:

Search engine searchable internet forum posts contain so much knowledge, it's a shame that part of the internet is dying and humanity is worse off for it.

I loving hate the modern internet. 10-15 years ago I could google a technology problem I was having, like Procurve RIP routes not advertising or whatever, and I'd immediately find a forum post where someone experiencing the same issue was walked through the resolution by some old sysadmins who'd brute-forced the problem in the past. Now you're more likely to get a page of ads from some bullshit startups with too much advertising money wanting you to buy their garbage whitebox switches with a recurring management subscription.

Same goes for every single problem a human could potentially face, from troubleshooting motorcycles to interior decorating. The mighty dollar dictates that the internet should be used as little as possible for human interaction, and instead to funnel as much capital to subscription services as they can achieve before everyone goes bankrupt.

At least there's still instructional YouTube videos, but without the dislike button you can't be sure whether the 15 minute video (that contains 8 minutes of some rear end in a top hat bloviating) is actually correct until whatever you're working on catches fire.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It’s not all bad. The stackexchange sites, despite all the complaints about their over-moderation and deletion of good questions, are so much better than the pay-for-answer “experts exchange” site(s) that they set out to supplant.

Maybe given enough time we can root out the other cancers of the modern internet.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Ulf posted:

It’s not all bad. The stackexchange sites, despite all the complaints about their over-moderation and deletion of good questions, are so much better than the pay-for-answer “experts exchange” site(s) that they set out to supplant.

Maybe given enough time we can root out the other cancers of the modern internet.

The best part of Experts Exchange was pre-hyphen when we all called it expert sex change.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Strife posted:

dislike button
There's a chrome plugin that restores it on desktop, but yeah, if 99.9% of users don't even see like/dislike ratio nobody's gonna click thumbs down for bad videos and it will give you a few more years of this very useful information at best.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Commuted to work a couple times this week for a very infrequent in-person thing, the Ninja 400 has track tires on it so the CBR600RR was up. Made the hour+ each way much more enjoyable. Managed around 45 miles per gallon too with mostly cruising at 75-80 mph just matching traffic, humming along happily in 6th. All except for the afternoon rush hour; didn't escape fast enough and hit stop and go in a few sections there was no getting around without splitting, which I am not up for risking in this city.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Had what could have been a road rage moment, but I let it go.

Pulled out of a motorcycle show parking area, where there are motorcycles and signs about motorcycles everywhere you look. The traffic was stop and go. Moved a little further left in the lane than I normally do because there's a streetcar down there and the lane is shared, so I didn't want my tires too close to the slippery metal rails.

This SUV apparently decided lane splitting was legal because they just drove past me on the right side of the lane like I wasn't there. Based on how they continued to drive, they were just very bad at what they were doing and not paying attention. I kind of wonder if I'd have been rear ended if I had been in the middle of the lane to stake my claim on it.

I started to just move past them to take my spot back and then thought better of it. I honked and made some "whaddya doin' here!?" hand gestures and left it at that.

People are bad at driving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I had someone behind me in a little 2000s shitbox in a tunnel with both dipped beams broken. I tried to gesture that here lights were broken, but idk if she understood. I hope she never drives in the actual dark...
I wanted to shuffle alongside her at the next traffic light but she went another way and i got a green, so /effort.