Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I mean the one thing I specifically remember about your opinions, LL, is the extreme aversion to MM's ticking clock. It ended up being a whole big discussion in the first thread lol. There's nothing like that in the Oracle games. But OoA is one of the only Zelda games I haven't finished because I personally just could never get past the Goron dancing game. Just this bizarre awkward bottleneck that young me never passed. They're worth playing though. I think Minish Cap was an enormous improvement from Capcom though I don't know how common that opinion is.

I'd love for the Oracle games to get the Link's Awakening 3D treatment which I think would really motivate me to try them again. Who knows if that's even on the table though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

*busts down door*
who wants to read my 2.4k word count meta on how tears of the kingdom has opened the door to a new narrative allowing link and zelda to work alongside ganondorf rather than against him

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

gently caress that, I wanna stab that guy in the face again

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I’m still sad we never not a game where there’s a “sword in the stone” situation and we awaken Ganon by pulling the Master Sword out of his head.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Is there a special reason why sometimes you need the Master Sword to kill the Ganon and sometimes you just need a silver arrow maybe.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Caidin posted:

Is there a special reason why sometimes you need the Master Sword to kill the Ganon and sometimes you just need a silver arrow maybe.

Mostly because they didn't think of the Master Sword until LttP. And even there its missing a lot of the later baggage the 'Master Sword' has from OoT on.

OoT was the first thing that really canonized it as an anti-Ganon thing. Hell in LttP it can't even hurt Ganon unless you charge it.

Post OoT its been pretty consistent though and doesn't even show up in the games with non-Ganon final bosses

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Caidin posted:

In totk you can just attach your master sword to an arrow and shoot Ganon in the face, then go enjoy yourself collecting koroks

Pocodoco
May 11, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

gently caress that, I wanna stab that guy in the face again

THIS! IT'S BEEN TWENTY YEARS SINCE WIND WAKER

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Placed my preorder at local electronics shop today :toot: While there have been a handful of Day 1 slam-purchases on Steam for me, I think this is the first game I've ever actually preordered.

Also, thanks for mentioning Tarry Town in BOTW a few pages back, I missed that one completely on my playthrough!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Caidin posted:

It's actually been pretty consistent that you need the Light Arrows to actually beat Ganon.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The main inconsistency from game to game is which weapon is needed to finish Ganon(/dorf) off.

Zelda 1 - must be damaged with a sword, but it can be any of them - you don't need the Magical Sword, it just makes it a much faster fight. This only paralyzes Ganon, though, and you have to use Silver Arrows to defeat him.
Link to the Past - must be damaged with the Master Sword (or the Tempered Sword but that's just the former upgraded) - the one you get from Link's Uncle doesn't cut it. Still only freezes Ganon, though - again, you have to use Silver Arrows to defeat him.
Ocarina of Time - the Light Arrows will stun both Ganondorf and Ganon, though they're not actually required on the latter fight. The Master Sword does have to be used to defeat Ganon, though - you can damage him other weapons, but they can't end the fight.
Oracle games - can use any sword to win, but the weaker ones only hurt with a spin attack - Master Sword and Biggoron's Sword can hurt with normal attacks.
Wind Waker - Zelda's Light Arrows are necessary for Link to get the final stab in with the Master Sword.
Four Sword Adventures - uh... Link(s) need to shoot a ball of light with a bow to defeat Ganon. Close enough!
Twilight Princess - Well, Dark Beast Ganon is a mix of using the bow and Wolf Link, but the Light Arrow/Master Sword combo is necessary in the horseback segment against Ganondorf. But the very final fight is all Master Sword.
Link Between Worlds - Bow of Light is necessary to render Ganon vulnerable to sword attacks for the finish.
Breath of the Wild - Bow of Light to defeat Dark Beast Ganon.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

a.lo posted:

*busts down door*
who wants to read my 2.4k word count meta on how tears of the kingdom has opened the door to a new narrative allowing link and zelda to work alongside ganondorf rather than against him

:justpost:

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Update to the leaked game situtation

Turns out the dude sold it to someone for 100 bucks usd and not only that... its just the display case of the collectors edition. No game inside lol

$300 for the actual game: https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m46100100581/

this doesn't spoil anything but the cartridge but censoring it just in case

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Only played botw. Should I pre order. Addendum question, retailer I know says adding 5 bucks gives me a "20cm royal claymore" which I assume is a lovely plastic toy, should I avoid

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

drat, that person got their hands on and sold 5 copies for a total of $1300.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Today in "things I only just learned about Breath of the Wild," it turns out Eventide Island has a paraglider course if you go back after completing the shrine quest.

Whoa

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What times are Nintendo games available to play on release day? Midnight in your region or something else?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Since we're talking bosses being stabbed/arrowed I have a question:

What's the consensus on dark beast Ganon being the final boss vs calamity Ganon in botw? I ask because dark beast in botw felt more like a victory lap boss (literally) with the real challenge being Calamity Ganon. I do think it nailed dark beast as a victory lap though. I just never really thought of the victory lap boss as the final boss.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Frankston posted:

What times are Nintendo games available to play on release day? Midnight in your region or something else?

Midnight your region

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dr Pepper posted:

It's actually been pretty consistent that you need the Light Arrows to actually beat Ganon.

In the Breath of the Wild canon it seems to be specifically Zelda's magic(which was infused into the light arrows). In Age of Calamity she kills Ganon with just the magic. Her powers are supposed to be from the Triforce of Wisdom right?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Current running theory (afaik) is that BotW Zelda's sealing power is the complete Triforce which has been passed down through the royal family, which is why she's supposed to pray at all three springs.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Dictator. posted:

$300 for the actual game: https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m46100100581/

this doesn't spoil anything but the cartridge but censoring it just in case

And still nothing has leaked yet lol goddamn. Just want some hard confirmations on stuff :negative:

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Oh okay, its leaking now, if youre going dark do it now lmao. So far its one 10 second clip of early game 4 hearts stuff. Also abit of the map and its hud some weapons in the weapon select look colour coded? And the map screen has levels for ground and sky, guessing underground too but thats probably further in

https://imgur.io/a/A3hNkgy
https://imgur.io/a/4FmFF7G

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Pocodoco posted:

THIS! IT'S BEEN TWENTY YEARS SINCE WIND WAKER

It's been longer time since the HD remake till now than it has from the original WW game and its HD remake

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Doing all the bullshit in Twilight Princess Wii U to level up the hearts of the wolf link amiibo only for him to be cut in ToTK

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1652791454216110080?s=20

Guarantee clusterfuck?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

one of the clips from the demo saw someone getting a Magic Rod weapon from a chest.
I'm guessing you'll be able to fuse different stuff to it to get a Fire Rod, Ice Rod, Thunder rod, etc.

some weapons in the weapon select look colour coded?

The ones with the blue-green outlines are fused weapons

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hey guys, not to distract you from TotK release hype, but because the trailers were so good I decided to give another chance to BotW (I never managed to get much past from the plateau, always felt directionless) and I'm actually having fun! Turns out all I needed to do was give me objectives (Like going to a tower, DLC missions) and just do whatever I find on the way.

I had a few questions about cooking though, I wanted to make hearthy food to get extra hearts and not die in 1 hit to everything, are there specific recipes to go for or can I just, drop 4 Radishes and 1 big Radish (all I habe from that) and that's the best I can do.

Also, for elixirs it only matters the ingredient tier right? Not the monster. And I guess I should avoid food with hearts cause I tried to mix bananas for an attack elixir and it went wrong.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Hey guys, not to distract you from TotK release hype, but because the trailers were so good I decided to give another chance to BotW (I never managed to get much past from the plateau, always felt directionless) and I'm actually having fun! Turns out all I needed to do was give me objectives (Like going to a tower, DLC missions) and just do whatever I find on the way.

I had a few questions about cooking though, I wanted to make hearthy food to get extra hearts and not die in 1 hit to everything, are there specific recipes to go for or can I just, drop 4 Radishes and 1 big Radish (all I habe from that) and that's the best I can do.

Also, for elixirs it only matters the ingredient tier right? Not the monster. And I guess I should avoid food with hearts cause I tried to mix bananas for an attack elixir and it went wrong.

Yeah with max-HP boosting food you can just toss in the best Hearty ingredients you have. Much later on when you're closer to having 30 hearts the meta becomes to cook only one hearty ingredient since that will give you a full heal on its own.
Elixirs need to have at least one critter and at least one monster part. You can add food after you've met those requirements (I didn't know this until I learned it in this thread literally a few days ago) but if you have a critter without a monster part or a monster part without a critter you'll get Dubious Food.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Augus posted:

Yeah with max-HP boosting food you can just toss in the best Hearty ingredients you have. Much later on when you're closer to having 30 hearts the meta becomes to cook only one hearty ingredient since that will give you a full heal on its own.
Elixirs need to have at least one critter and at least one monster part. You can add food after you've met those requirements (I didn't know this until I learned it in this thread literally a few days ago) but if you have a critter without a monster part or a monster part without a critter you'll get Dubious Food.

Ooh, I think I have no bugs on me? Would explain that, thanks. And yeah, I've boosting my stamina only so I really want as much extra health as possible. Now that I've gotten the horse stuff and the Ganon armor I'm gonna get the korok mask (even if I won't hunt them all, I wanna "finish" before TotK gets too old), read the rest of the DLC diaries so I can get them on the way and start hunting memories and the Divine Beasts.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I finally got off Skyloft in skyward sword (I've had a save with 30 minutes played for like a year), curious to see how far I'll get until the 12th. Never played it before.

Not sure if I'm feeling the waggle controls especially for the drat loftwing. I'll try the regular controls tonight.

It's actually pretty interesting how much of botw / TotK seems to be iterations on some of the ideas in here. I wonder if you get a Loftwing in TotK at the end.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

:siren: There's actual story leaks now :siren:

There's screenshots coming out of someone playing on an emulator. Just intro stuff, but if you're trying to avoid them now's the time to start avoiding stuff for real.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Icedude posted:

There's screenshots coming out of someone playing on an emulator. Just intro stuff, but if you're trying to avoid them now's the time to start avoiding stuff for real.

I don't know if I'm strong enough :negative:

Senrab
May 10, 2012

Icedude posted:

Meanwhile my dumb rear end is clicking every spoilered text block like I get points for it or something. I really need to learn some self control here.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Senrab posted:

Meanwhile my dumb rear end is clicking every spoilered text block like I get points for it or something. I really need to learn some self control here.

ganondorf is your daddy

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSJNwQIQBeI

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Icedude posted:

sweet you start the game with all botw hearts, nice! (which is different from the totk hearts set because theres more of them and the row will be longer i believe) plus the intro is fully playable niiiiice. thought it was just gonna be a cutscene

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

ganondorf is your daddy

link defeats ganon

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

It's out. Someone is streaming the early game on discord as I type this. It'll be datamined and every scrap of the game will be on the internet by the end of the week, so uh go dark now if you want to stay unspoiled.

Is there any prescedent for Nintendo pushing release forward in cases like these? I want to say something similar happened with one of the Pokemon releases and once it got to a saturation point retailers broke the street date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
No, Nintendo isn't going to move up the release. This happens for all their big releases now and they usually just get real aggressive with C&D.