Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

T Bowl posted:

Yeah, basically sounds like half baked ideas that he couldn't find the right feel and lyrics for overall so he's just releasing them as is

Ryan adams did something like that 15 or so years ago and dropped a ton of albums of all kinds of different styles that were all pretty bad.

Also, saw the Mountain Goats last night. Great show but two observations:

1)I think the fans are having some sort of bingo thing with what songs are on the setlist, because some dude behind me would not shut the gently caress up about it.

2)After seeing that live version of This Year with craig Finn my brain really expects the song to now end with "and it almost killed me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ambitious Spider posted:

Ryan adams did something like that 15 or so years ago and dropped a ton of albums of all kinds of different styles that were all pretty bad.

Also, saw the Mountain Goats last night. Great show but two observations:

1)I think the fans are having some sort of bingo thing with what songs are on the setlist, because some dude behind me would not shut the gently caress up about it.

2)After seeing that live version of This Year with craig Finn my brain really expects the song to now end with "and it almost killed me!"

Are Mountain Goats fans annoying? I like the band but the fan base has always seemed a little off to me

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Is it me, or does Wednesday sound a lot like Remember Sports.

Which is fine by me. Remember Sports last album was really good, so giving me more is a quick way to my heart.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think I get Blue Rev now. I had tried listening to it before and it kind of annoyed me but I was wrong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mac DeMarco, you are no Stephen Meritt

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

There is a god and he is punishing us for our sins

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
From the like 5 songs I listened to, it's not THAT bad... it's basically a Mac Demarco sounding version of some mediocre youtube "chill beats" mix lol.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
It’s not bad. It’s not good either. And it kinda sucks knowing that after 2017, Mac Demarco had hundreds of song ideas and very few of them were any good, lol.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/ebtg/status/1649336922626740224?s=46&t=ktz0Y2OScWlqhPzPjNM8aQ

I'm screaming

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Or, hear me out... Mac Demarco was never good to begin with.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Salad Days rules

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Everyone from 2 until this old dog is good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nightmare Cinema posted:

"Rock n Roll night club" was an okay song :shrug:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

T Bowl posted:

Everyone from 2 until this old dog is good.
☝️

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
saw charly bliss last night. First time I've seen them and they killed it. Maybe because it was their first show in a while, but they fired on all cylinders. Played a couple of new songs too that were pretty good.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The last Season Of The Mist didn’t do much for me but this new song absolutely Whips rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Y1GGdMTxM

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Thundercat did a song with Tame Impala and it sounds exactly like you'd expect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJYLSdiUqDw

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The 80% of Super Furry Animals that isn't Gruff Rhys just released a new single in advance of their debut album as Das Koolies.
Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmgwRdT3ijw

It's good. Not as techno as I was hoping, but with more Rhys Ifans than I was expecting. I kinda wanted something a bit more gonzo, tbh.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Your post made me Google more SFA stuff since it's been so long, and I learned just now that Gruff collaborated with Boom Bip for a side project called Neon Neon. I like Boom Bip, wonder if this is any good.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Grian Chatten from Fontaines DC released a solo single and it's pretty good.

https://youtu.be/gXYRV0V5QYU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but The Japanese House's next album is coming out in June. Charli XCX, MUNA and The 1975 in guest spots. I listened to Good At Falling pretty much nonstop during the pandemic so I'm looking forward to this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE0PSlNVN0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9usyS45kDGE

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Got an email at exactly 10am about a Spotify presale for Jessie Ware. Tickets seem to be gone already. Give me a bit of a heads up, spotify you bastards.

Hopefully I'll be able to get one tomorrow.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Beach House is beachin' once more! I guess the Become EP actually came out last week for Record Store Day, but now it's out everywhere.

It's 5 leftovers from Once Twice Melody and I guess I'd say they were right to leave them off, but they still sound good and are worth listening to. They measure up to their usual standard of quality.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the national’s new album is out and imo it’s one of their weakest - Berninger said he was dealing with writer’s block at the time and some of the songs do feel like he’s just struggling to get something recorded. taylor swift feels superfluous on her guest spot and phoebe bridgers doesn’t do much for her songs either. Your Mind Is Not Your Friend in particular is one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard from them, though that’s not bridgers’ fault - the production is monotone and mushy and the lyrics are inane

sufjan stevens knocked it out of the park though. gorgeous opening track

https://youtu.be/-0v_D7nAc1k

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Oxxidation posted:

sufjan stevens knocked it out of the park though. gorgeous opening track

https://youtu.be/-0v_D7nAc1k

I was just going to say, I had heard he had done something for the new album, he's besties with those guys. Then I got to your last sentence. Listening now, my boy Suf never disappoints

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
charly bliss show in Chicago was amazing, no surprises there. they played two new songs, both of which were phenomenal. super stoked about the new album

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Beach House EP warrants a listen. Several in fact.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Nightmare Cinema posted:

:chloe:

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I hope it's not too shameless to post this here, but I have an album of my own that fits in the indie/folk/rock/etc genre, definitely a laid back kinda introspective listen.
"Light Headed" by Not

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Hot Diggity! posted:

The boys are back and aside from the organ being way too loving high in the mix they still sound great for not playing together for over a decade, if true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEg_8mpp_Kk
I saw them at Webster Hall 5 days ago, it was like their 3rd show in public and they were loving AWESOME. Second best concert I've been to (though I haven't been to all that many compared to the rest of you). Leithauser had a funny anecdote: The other day a guy in his neighborhood went up to him and said "I SAW YOU ON TV..." and Leithauser assumed it was the Colbert show but he guy continued "IT WAS COOL HOW YOU GOT THOSE ASHES TO THE RIGHT FAMILY!" [If you haven't heard, some funeral home sent Hamilton Leithauser a random person's ashes, Hamilton called them about getting these HUMAN REMAINS to the right family but they didn't care so he reached out to the NYC tv stations and he wound up going indie viral. The family eventually got the ashes.]

precision posted:

Yeah that's fair. It's sad to think I used to almost like them, back when they sounded like Radiohead
I used to think (most of) Muse was just Radiohead For Idiots, then Imagine Dragons came out and I thought Imagine Dragons was Muse For Assholes.

Double Bass posted:

I'm not quite sure what genre to call this (Indie Rock is closest I guess) but I just released my first song as a solo artist, I've been in metal bands for years but got kinda sick of relying on other musicians, and since I can play everything anyway I went and wrote/recorded a (not metal) album myself. Some of the other songs are a bit more involved/uptempo/rockin'/whatever than this but I picked this as a single because I feel like it's the most accessible, if not a little safe. Let me know what you guys think!
I vibed.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Thundercat did a song with Tame Impala and it sounds exactly like you'd expect
I adore this. Where is a good place to start with Thundercat besides Book of Boba Fett?

KurdtLives fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 1, 2023

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

KurdtLives posted:

I saw them at Webster Hall 5 days ago, it was like their 3rd show in public and they were loving AWESOME. Second best concert I've been to (though I haven't been to all that many compared to the rest of you). Leithauser had a funny anecdote: The other day a guy in his neighborhood went up to him and said "I SAW YOU ON TV..." and Leithauser assumed it was the Colbert show but he guy continued "IT WAS COOL HOW YOU GOT THOSE ASHES TO THE RIGHT FAMILY!" [If you haven't heard, some funeral home sent Hamilton Leithauser a random person's ashes, Hamilton called them about getting these HUMAN REMAINS to the right family but they didn't care so he reached out to the NYC tv stations and he wound up going indie viral. The family eventually got the ashes.]

Did you watch the opener Yeah Baby?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Nightmare Cinema posted:

imho mac is fine but absurdly overrated. he has a handful of genuinely good songs, but for reasons unknown his good-songs-to-pitchfork-articles ratio is unbelievable

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's what is known as the Lana Del Ratio

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
An entire mac demarco album in one sitting is too much for me, also like LDR.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Salad Days is like that one friend you knew in your twenties, where outside a bar one evening you gave him a cigarette, and after a joke and sharing a laugh he says something about existence that sticks with you for the rest of your life and you never see him again.

Good album! I think stripping back the rough edges of 2, and honing in on his style and his anxieties about growing up into a life he may not want was the right idea there, but he’s kinda Flanderizing himself at this point.

Although One Wayne G does have some good bits and ideas. I’m shocked that with everything he was sorta poking and prodding with we got something as listless and dull as Five Easy Hot Dogs. He should try to do a funk and bossanova influenced record, it seems like he wanted to at some point here and that would at least have SOME energy.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 1, 2023

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

Berninger said he was dealing with writer’s block at the time.

Oh hes been dealing with writers block since he got divorced from the women who wrote most of his lyrics.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Speaking of which I wonder if Lingua Ignota wrote that last Daughters record.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
the best indie track of the year is by lil yachty tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSemB-pfR2c

Jam city produced the track for him and its mostly just yachty singing on a different arrangement/mix of his own previously released song, but I think I like the yachty one more now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ3q5dSsG8Y

Also the best mac demarco song is chamber of reflection and it’s entirely due to the sample/track they covered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8oS_B6IaKE

imhotep fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 1, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheAbortionator posted:

Oh hes been dealing with writers block since he got divorced from the women who wrote most of his lyrics.

I'm really not liking their last few albums. I wouldn't even call them songs. Just Matt talking wall to wall like he's reading from his dream journal scratch pad on his night stand and the brothers sort of drone on in the background and they all stare at each other quizzically with "should we just stop this?" looks on their faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shining Toaster
Sep 26, 2007

It's all boiling over...

TheAbortionator posted:

I think you’re referring to Carin Besser, to whom he’s still married and who still writes some of the lyrics? :confused: