Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Take the tip about Kiwami heat moves very seriously, it's easy to accidentally end up at the first boss without one. As soon as you can control Kiryu don't move on until you've unlocked one.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Yeah, for real. You only barely get enough skill points/EXP/whatever they're called to fill out a few skills, and you need to rush the Kiwami Heat moves ASAP if you want to beat the first real boss in any reasonable amount of time. It's especially tricky because they give you a tutorial for Kiwami Heat moves before removing all of Kiryu's moves post-time skip, so a bozo like myself may assume that you always have a Kiwami Heat move available when, actually, they're required unlocks.

Like it says though, so long as you have some kind of melee weapon (and there's a weapon merchant before the first boss) their standard heat actions will stop boss regen just the same. Still worth unlocking them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Thanks for the Everspace 2 tips, booting it up now. I take it since it's PC only for now that K&M is the optimal way to play over using a controller? It's what I'm going with anyway.

edit:

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's super great.

Just got out of the prologue missions and it seems like a modern and better in every way version of Freelancer from back in the day. Super looking forward to getting proper into this one.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 23, 2023

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
+1 to the majima everywhere fights.
Perhaps I'm bad at the game but despite rarely dying to him, they just took ages, dragged the already slow pace of the game to a standstill and weren't particularly fun. I ended up stopping Yakuza Kiwami when it pushed me into another "surprise" fight with him and I just couldn't find the drive to spend another 10 minutes fighting him.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cactus posted:

Thanks for the Everspace 2 tips, booting it up now. I take it since it's PC only for now that K&M is the optimal way to play over using a controller? It's what I'm going with anyway.

edit:

Just got out of the prologue missions and it seems like a modern and better in every way version of Freelancer from back in the day. Super looking forward to getting proper into this one.

I believe it is on consoles too, but yeah kb&m is the best imo. And I thought the same thing, it felt like Freelancer but modern and better.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oooooh, I loved Freelancer so much. I'm gonna give this game a shot.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Take the tip about Kiwami heat moves very seriously, it's easy to accidentally end up at the first boss without one. As soon as you can control Kiryu don't move on until you've unlocked one.

Kanfy posted:

Like it says though, so long as you have some kind of melee weapon (and there's a weapon merchant before the first boss) their standard heat actions will stop boss regen just the same. Still worth unlocking them though.

OK, thanks! So already starting when I'm walking over to meet Nishiki? I had to quit out there, forgot how Y0 has long cutscenes interspersed by gameplay where you can't save :v:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
One more for Atelier Ryza 3 - every region of the game has a certain number of “secret” recipes hidden in resource caches (blue or orange crystals). This is where you get e.g. the recipe for all seeds other than Plant Seeds.
Recipes only appear if you open the cache with a Rare or Very Rare key - try making keys from tough bosses, or wait until near the end of the game when you can make Rarity + 1 or + 2 Pristine Keys, which guarantees a Very Rare key.

You can cook at campfires, which gives some bonuses.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cactus posted:

Don't see an entry yet for Everspace 2, anyone been playing it? I'm downloading it on gamepass.

Each weapon/module of your ship has its own capacitor which charges and discharges independently of the others. The means if your pulse laser runs dry you can switch over to your coilgun and keep shooting, and if you manage to empty that then the laser will have recharged. Using your afterburners won't compromise your shield regeneration etc.
The various ship classes each have a unique ability that changes how they play - for example the Gunship has twice as many guns as anything else, doing double the DPS but running out of energy in half the time. The Bomber regenerates missiles, allowing you to use them freely. Etc.

Because you can move freely in all six DoF I use a gamepad with Autoaim turned way up. A mouse would give superior aim but it'd be harder to control the ship motion IMO.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh, also a fairly big one for Everspace 2:

- You can disable your inertial dampeners, which means your ship will maintain its velocity without slowing down on its own. This is really useful if you're going for a faster, more mobile playstyle. By default this has no keybind, so you need to set it yourself in the options.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Oh, also a fairly big one for Everspace 2:

- You can disable your inertial dampeners, which means your ship will maintain its velocity without slowing down on its own. This is really useful if you're going for a faster, more mobile playstyle. By default this has no keybind, so you need to set it yourself in the options.

This is a great one yeah, and the secret to high mobility.

There is also a device later called the Fusion Tether, which is a spider man web swing and it is unbelievably good.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I'm excited for that to come to PS5

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Scalding Coffee posted:

Legend of Legaia:

This game was made to sell the strategy guide. There are plenty of random/powerful items in strange places even where there shouldn't be anything. Look up a guide.

Been playing some of this and you're not kidding. So many items where you're just expected to interact with a random part of the scenery with zero indication.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I’ll be picking up Darkest Dungeon 2 once it releases on Steam. Any tips from the folks who played it in EA/on the EGS?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Important addition for Graveyard Keeper.

The teleport stone is reusable on a very short cool down. You don't need to buy a new one every time.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Important addition for Graveyard Keeper.

The teleport stone is reusable on a very short cool down. You don't need to buy a new one every time.
While the above should absolutely be on the list, you can buy another telestone to use when your main one is on cooldown. It's sure wasteful, but it's an option if you're really impatient.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

While the above should absolutely be on the list, you can buy another telestone to use when your main one is on cooldown. It's sure wasteful, but it's an option if you're really impatient.

I recall trying that and it not working and them sharing a cooldown. But far too lazy to check.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm 99% sure the teleport stones share a cooldown.

It is possible to get single use teleports and rhey don't share a cooldown. I just don't remember how to as the teleport cooldown is so short what's the point?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm already a few hours in, but is there anything I should know about God of War: Ragnarok? Especially around levelling, or equipment, or skills? Or hidden treasures?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

ahobday posted:

I'm already a few hours in, but is there anything I should know about God of War: Ragnarok? Especially around levelling, or equipment, or skills? Or hidden treasures?

*Nothing is missable; you can always go back to an area.

*Enemy levels are important, too. You'll get your face beat in if you try and take something on that's out of your league.

*Take your time and explore. There's a ton of hidden collectible stuff and the map has a tally of what you've found and what you haven't, including a percent marker, so you'll know if you've gotten 100% of the stuff.

*The weapon skills have requirements to upgrade them, and it's very clear on what you have to do, and in my experience, it was not only worth it upgrading the skills, but it was fun, too.

*Odin is entirely trustworthy

Leave fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 29, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
wrong thread

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 30, 2023

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

That's cool and all but how is that a hot tip for someone about to fire up the game for the first time?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
maybe mistook it for the little things in videogames thread?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Deep Rock Galactic
  • Your mining pick doubles as your melee attack.
  • Essentially every wall and floor can be dug through with your pickaxe, not just dirt walls or resource nodes and not just as the driller class. Climb cliffs by digging out a staircase or tunnel your way up, clear sight lines for defending against swarms or tunnel directly into that new room on your map instead of looking for a premade entryway that may not exist. The class abilities are faster and easier, but there are options if you want to save resources or find yourself on your own/lost. This does mean you can potentially tunnel straight to the escape pod at the end of a run if you want, but there will be bugs attacking from behind so don’t spend too long on it or it turns into a death trap.
  • Bringing up the laser pointer will highlight teammates and objectives through the cave walls. You can also press the use button to make a personal waypoint that's handy for marking tunnel entrances and will last longer than the regular laser call outs.
  • Some of the early missions ask to find resources like alien eggs or elements in low quantities. These'll be buried in the walls. Look for weird alien vines for the eggs and gem-speckled areas for the elements.
  • Friendly fire is on, so watch your shots and avoid standing in those of your teammates.

yook fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 30, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is there anything we should know for Barotrauma? We've played it a fair bit as a group but we're a bit unsure if we're doing stuff utterly wrong. Like our ship doctor, he uses his healing stuff straight away when someone gets injured even minorly (like burns or broken bones if we crash or something where you get the icon showing you have the injury but our actual health hasn't gone down much at all) and then wants to spend loads of our reward money for doing missions on replacement healing stuff, we're not sure if he's just being a bit too trigger happy with it or not. My instinct is people can survive with a bit of damage on them for awhile and you should probably only use the materials when it's starting to get bad or if they're bleeding out and properly going to die.

Similarly with the coilgun ammo and weapons in general, when stuff gets on the ship, it seems like harpoons or diving knifes do about as well as the more traditional guns but I would guess that might change with more dangerous monsters maybe? We found the coilgun ammo we started with lasted us absolutely ages, we thought it might be bugged or just infinite and then we ran out and had to buy some more but any subsequent crates we've bought, we've gone through them a lot quicker than the first lot while encountering about the same amount of monsters it feels.

It just feels like we're treading water a bit, we do missions that make us 2000 and then buying or making coilgun ammo, welding fuel, medical stuff, etc to replace what we've used costs us a decent amount of what we've just earned. It might be we've just kinda seen the loop of the game and it is just grinding a bit now to unlock some more mission types cause there's loads we haven't seen at all.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 1, 2023

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anything on Hammer & Sickle (as in the game on Silent Storm engine)? IIRC it had some major balance problems, so I'd rather get that out of my system before I invest in a character and find out I hosed up 1/3 of the game later.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Anything on Hammer & Sickle (as in the game on Silent Storm engine)? IIRC it had some major balance problems, so I'd rather get that out of my system before I invest in a character and find out I hosed up 1/3 of the game later.

Honestly it's one of the few games where I'd recommend either going in with a stoic yolo mindset and expect to end in an unwinnable situation, or just follow a guide. There are numerous potential fail states that aren't 100% obvious and I think the whole game is on a time limit.

It's been 10+ years so my memory is hazy but I recall stealth being much more important than in SS, you will be outnumbered and outgunned at all times.

There may be a fan patch to fix the bad translation and smooth out some of the issues, one was in development when I played and would be essential if it did come out

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

thebardyspoon posted:

Is there anything we should know for Barotrauma? We've played it a fair bit as a group but we're a bit unsure if we're doing stuff utterly wrong. Like our ship doctor, he uses his healing stuff straight away when someone gets injured even minorly (like burns or broken bones if we crash or something where you get the icon showing you have the injury but our actual health hasn't gone down much at all) and then wants to spend loads of our reward money for doing missions on replacement healing stuff, we're not sure if he's just being a bit too trigger happy with it or not. My instinct is people can survive with a bit of damage on them for awhile and you should probably only use the materials when it's starting to get bad or if they're bleeding out and properly going to die.

Similarly with the coilgun ammo and weapons in general, when stuff gets on the ship, it seems like harpoons or diving knifes do about as well as the more traditional guns but I would guess that might change with more dangerous monsters maybe? We found the coilgun ammo we started with lasted us absolutely ages, we thought it might be bugged or just infinite and then we ran out and had to buy some more but any subsequent crates we've bought, we've gone through them a lot quicker than the first lot while encountering about the same amount of monsters it feels.

It just feels like we're treading water a bit, we do missions that make us 2000 and then buying or making coilgun ammo, welding fuel, medical stuff, etc to replace what we've used costs us a decent amount of what we've just earned. It might be we've just kinda seen the loop of the game and it is just grinding a bit now to unlock some more mission types cause there's loads we haven't seen at all.

Love me some Barotrauma, lemme type out some thoughts. Also having learned the game as a medical doctor job lol yeah they're being way too aggressive with medical healing. Thoughts in no particular order:

-Any injuries under aprox. 20% are not worth wasting medical supplies on, with the exception of bleeding ("minor bleeding" is fine to ignore), poisons, and husk infection which you should always try to clear asap. Anything less than 20% should be treated by fruit juice (pomegrenade extract, you can set up a botany room and grow the fruit on the sub) or via lying in a bed (veeeerry slowly heals injuries over time). At outposts and cities you can also spend a fairly minor amount of money to top people's health off at the medical doctor vendor.

-supplies wise you should be keeping an eye out for minerals and plants mid-mission. I'm not familiar with all the vanilla subs but some should come equipped with a mineral scanner, and you should absolutely be stopping and sending people out to harvest them with plasma cutters. Very very early you might tread water a bit but you really shouldn't be spending most of your money on basic things like welding fuel etc.

-this is more an RP choice vs minmax choice, but you can also pretty easily rob blind any outpost or city you visit, whether it be of medical supplies, clothing to turn I to organic fiber, or diving suits to turn into titanium/aluminium alloy and rubber. As long as there is no NPC in a room you're looting, you can freely yoink whatever you want. Two people working together makes it easier, as one person can grab and walk NPCs out of a room if they're standing up, wait till the door is closed and then loot goblin it up. This is a thing you'll have to decide with your crew though.

-conversely once you make it to the second biome (assuming y'all are playing the campaign), you'll start finding/getting missions for wrecks which you absolutely should strip relatively clean. Or if you end up fighting pirates/enemy subs that's even better loot. Just uh, try not to approach wrecks from directly or diagonally above. Or do, I'm not your captain.

-Guns, once you get access to things that aren't just SMGs and revolvers, are far and away the better choice if you have the resources to support it. The harpoon gun is great because you can re-use the ammo of course which can be great for long away trips. There will be things later that require you to have better weaponry when you do out of sub-ventures.

-If you still feel like you're struggling, in the campaign options turn the amount of missions you can take up from 1 to 2, or even 3. They may not always be in the same direction but being able to take on multiple can really help get your economy going. It also makes it more exciting! Multiple swarm kill missions, or a swarm + big monster? Gotta find and retrieve an alien artifact that causes fires while transporting a VIP to the next station over? What could wrong!

Most of all, have fun dying horribly! Europa is a terrible place and we love it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Huh, I had thought Barotrauma was just a sort of mission-based (as in, choose a mission from a menu, the map is generated, and when you finish, you're booted to the menu with some money), but there's progression and a larger world that you can do multiple things in?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Morpheus posted:

Huh, I had thought Barotrauma was just a sort of mission-based (as in, choose a mission from a menu, the map is generated, and when you finish, you're booted to the menu with some money), but there's progression and a larger world that you can do multiple things in?

It's officially in 1.0 as of last month-ish, and the campaign has been in for a long while now. They added a proper ending and a bunch of fun story bits and story missions based on factions with 1.0. There's also actual character class progression in the campaign by way of leveling up and talents trees outside of just increasing your various skills, and multiple "builds" for each class.

Absolutely much better to play with a group, but doable singleplayer.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Honestly it's one of the few games where I'd recommend either going in with a stoic yolo mindset and expect to end in an unwinnable situation, or just follow a guide. There are numerous potential fail states that aren't 100% obvious and I think the whole game is on a time limit.

It's been 10+ years so my memory is hazy but I recall stealth being much more important than in SS, you will be outnumbered and outgunned at all times.

There may be a fan patch to fix the bad translation and smooth out some of the issues, one was in development when I played and would be essential if it did come out

So, save often and in multiple slots, spec as a scout, and have a high tolerance of jank in general, got it.
And yeah, I found a bugfix patch and will probably use it unless it breaks something.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Managed to get past the Conkram freeze glitch in Legend of Legaia. Using the Duckstation and ePSXe:

Copy your Duckstation game save file onto the ePSXe memcard folder.
Change your memory card setting to that save file.
Open the game on ePSXe and load that save.
Use an Incense and walk to the mirror room.
Keep mashing the button to skip all text and enter the past. (it may crash if you don't)
Go to the Inn and save.
Copy your memory card file to your Duckstation save folder and load the game save.
Make your save state as a precaution.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I'm playing Horizon Forbidden West right now and I think the first entry for it on the wiki:

"Some items will appear on the resources tab as junk, but they can actually be used for some lategame upgrade recipes. Hold onto Metal Blocks, and Pristine Skulls. Ancient junk and ingots can safely be sold for shards. Apex hearts that are in the junk group are safe to sell. The useful ones appear in the gear upgrade resources category."

can be deleted. I've finished the main game and am working on the DLC so I can pretty safely say that I never used a Pristine Skull to upgrade anything, and Processed Metal Blocks were moved out of the junk category at some point. It should be safe to sell anything and everything in the junk category now.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
You can trade Pristine Skulls for other animal bones. I wanna say Boars, Jays, and Squirrels.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

owl_pellet posted:

I'm playing Horizon Forbidden West right now and I think the first entry for it on the wiki:

"Some items will appear on the resources tab as junk, but they can actually be used for some lategame upgrade recipes. Hold onto Metal Blocks, and Pristine Skulls. Ancient junk and ingots can safely be sold for shards. Apex hearts that are in the junk group are safe to sell. The useful ones appear in the gear upgrade resources category."

can be deleted. I've finished the main game and am working on the DLC so I can pretty safely say that I never used a Pristine Skull to upgrade anything, and Processed Metal Blocks were moved out of the junk category at some point. It should be safe to sell anything and everything in the junk category now.

Unfortunately with the DLC they made at least one of the apex hearts in the junk category useful without removing the junk tag (rollerback is the one I encountered)

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Is there anything I should know before starting Star Wars: Empire at War for the first time? The game has a ton of mods. Should I play through a base campaign first, or jump into a mod right away? A lot of the mods seems to change mechanics so I don't want to get confused before even knowing the basics...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there anything one should know about motorsport manager? Especially regarding the racing strategies

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Cardboard Fox posted:

Is there anything I should know before starting Star Wars: Empire at War for the first time? The game has a ton of mods. Should I play through a base campaign first, or jump into a mod right away? A lot of the mods seems to change mechanics so I don't want to get confused before even knowing the basics...

It’s been quite a while but be prepared for a lot of jank. The game is old and it really shows at times, especially in land battles.

If you have the Forces of Corruption expansion the third faction has the ability to, uh corrupt, your planets which cuts your income. You can use special units or heroes to cleanse the systems for a chunk of change.

Ships that are coming in, and recovering from hyperdrive, in battles take a ton of extra damage, so be careful if you want to jump something into the middle of a fight.

Don’t get caught up in churning out as many Star Destroyers or Mon Cal cruisers as possible. You want a well balanced fleet with plenty of corvettes or you’ll find yourself eating a lot of proton torpedos.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I fell into that latter trap for sure. Why would I not build nothing but the coolest, and therefore most powerful, ships in the fleet? Because it’s more of a traditional RTS than it appears and you need space artillery to capture space castles that’s why

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Is it too early for some Star Wars Jedi: Survivor tips? I'm avoiding the main thread for fear of spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

moosecow333 posted:

It’s been quite a while but be prepared for a lot of jank. The game is old and it really shows at times, especially in land battles.

If you have the Forces of Corruption expansion the third faction has the ability to, uh corrupt, your planets which cuts your income. You can use special units or heroes to cleanse the systems for a chunk of change.

Ships that are coming in, and recovering from hyperdrive, in battles take a ton of extra damage, so be careful if you want to jump something into the middle of a fight.

Don’t get caught up in churning out as many Star Destroyers or Mon Cal cruisers as possible. You want a well balanced fleet with plenty of corvettes or you’ll find yourself eating a lot of proton torpedos.

Thanks. Yeah, the jank is really obvious, especially on land battles. It's looking like it may be better to just play Stellaris with a Star Wars mod.