Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Looks more like the Ayatollah Khomeini to me.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I should never have eaten that Quaver that was the image of Marshal Tito

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Ngl that's a sick looking outfit.

Between that and 'may he live forever' pretty convinced he's a vampire now.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

gently caress me, this poo poo again?

This media bubble sounds like a Ligotti horror story where everyone is stuck in 2005 forever and it just won't end, the talking points, the soundbites, the fears, the crazy frog poster, the ringtones advert, the slowly rotating music box dancer in the corner playing James Blunt's You're Beautiful just ever so slightly off key like a Shepard tone, so that it constantly sounds like it's winding down but never does. History has ended, and here you are in the kitchen at a party.

After the racist pub landlord story the other week, I looked up the year that Robertson's Marmalade finally took the golliwog mascot off their products - it was 2002.

Which was surprising not just because it's so weirdly recent, but because I was certain I remembered my gran moaning back in the mid-1990s about how her beloved marmalade was under assault by political correctness, everyone was far too ready to take offence at so-called racism, etc, etc.

It turned out that I wasn't confused about the dates, it's just that the national press spent two solid decades recycling the exact same outraged 'Now they're coming for your marmalade!' shtick every couple of years - so Robertson's was "cancelled" on multiple different occasions throughout my childhood.

You've got stories about it in 1983 (Greater London Council said they'd stop using Robertson's products and the attack line in the press was very much 'the GLC is taking away care home residents' jam'), 1988 (when a Robertson's ad was taken off live TV), 1991 (Robertson's brought out a new round of merchandise that papers gleefully advertised for free)...

In 1998, the Bristol Post tellingly covers the story with a headline that pretends the "debate" is something brand new rather than a topic that's already been extensively covered across the past 15 years: “You give your views on the row surrounding the golly used on Robertson’s jam and marmalade labels after a Bristol mum called it racist.”

And now in 2023, you've got Telegraph opinion columnists happily recycling the same lines from 40 years ago, and angry racists on Facebook complaining about how golliwogs can't possibly be racist and everyone's too sensitive "these days" - when those same complaints about "these days" were being made in letters-to-the-editor by an entirely different generation 40 years ago.

We've built a media culture that's powerfully and specifically regressive in that it erases progress and the memory of progress; pretty much any story from the past half-century can be dusted off and presented to us again as if it's a fresh outrage to get angry about. Every social issue can be resurrected as a "debate" or a "row", so nobody can ever consider their rights a settled affair.

It doesn't matter if trans women have been using the women's loo in peace for decades - it can be posed in the media as a new and unwelcome societal change that the wokies are suddenly trying to shove down the nation's throats. Malevolent teenagers in hoodies or benefit-scroungers with nineteen children can cycle back around into the newspapers as eternal enemies to our contentment and peace every few months.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TalkTV/status/1652762910039449602

:allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

it is the lefties who are sensitive, you see

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

grobbo posted:

We've built a media culture that's powerfully and specifically regressive in that it erases progress and the memory of progress
Ain't that the truth.

Reminds me most of the modern anti-trans culture war is either recycled homophobia or recycled sexual health panic. The puberty blockers debate happened the exact same when Elsimar Coutinho published Is Menstruation Obsolete? in the 90s, which kicked up the exact same furore among regressives as when Dr. Coutinho invented the contraceptive injection back in the late 60s.

The Bristol Post one also reminded me of the Colston statue debate, where it was presented as if the antifa mind virus from the US traveled over with Black Lives Matter Marxists to destroy all our statues in 2020, rather than that Bristol had been arguing against the statue of the racist mass murderer since at least the 80s, with three separate promises that it would be contextualized/moved/removed ignored or quagmired in local government committee hell.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Is it really something that warrants a desperately urgent mod response anyway? Oh no, an extremely mild troll is here again.

it’s more that it keeps happening so whatever mods are trying to do to prevent it clearly isn’t working

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What are your blokes thoughts on threadbanning the weak gimmick troll Wizard Master?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

What are your blokes thoughts on threadbanning the weak gimmick troll Wizard Master?

Yes, if only for the "your blokes" thing.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Guavanaut posted:

Yup.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

I guess Mediocre Hell isn't available as a punishment so this will have to do

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be nice.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

I honestly couldn't give a gently caress. If they were a constant presence making GBS threads up the thread then fine, but it's pretty irregular bad post, & honestly there's about a 40% chance their questions are sincere because the poster is just that dumb.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s their second post in this thread lol. Admittedly they are both dogshit

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Yes please. “You blokes” pisses me right off

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

smellmycheese posted:

It’s their second post in this thread lol. Admittedly they are both dogshit

they’ve been cropping up every couple of weeks or so for months now

I vote threadban, it’s not the worst trolling we’ve ever seen but it’s still annoying and a net negative for the thread in general

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Vote is over.

It seems that a narrow majority of the UKMT thread has voted that Wizard Master "leave". Completely unprecedented, I'm sure.

Anyway, please refrain from further meta-posting and posting about posters.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Inferior Third Season posted:

Vote is over.

It seems that a narrow majority of the UKMT thread has voted that Wizard Master "leave". Completely unprecedented, I'm sure.

Anyway, please refrain from further meta-posting and posting about posters.

Oh what I was just about to write a post about how I didn’t care and everyone should stop being so incredibly easy to troll but you’ve SPOILED THAT IDEA.

Anyway. Im strongly considering where I want to be at the moment the pledge of allegianonce is due to happen. Sure, I could just go about my day. But I could also go to a gammonny pub and see if anyone does it and bust a gut laughing before being physically assaulted by a drunk bit of blancmange. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I feel like it’d be a shame to miss something so dumb and weird.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
follow back pro enchantments

for the coronation i'm going to be on the computer probably unless someone knows where we can get free drinks and peoplewatch

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I suspect they'll spin it as 'woke leftist muslim king unpopular,' rather than because billions in public funds are being spent on the parasite in chief in his stupid hat while most of the country can't afford their bills.

grobbo posted:

We've built a media culture that's powerfully and specifically regressive in that it erases progress and the memory of progress; pretty much any story from the past half-century can be dusted off and presented to us again as if it's a fresh outrage to get angry about. Every social issue can be resurrected as a "debate" or a "row", so nobody can ever consider their rights a settled affair.
Was thinking about this in the shower this morning, the whole tirade against woke is just reheated "political correctness gone mad" from the 90s.

On my mind mostly because I watched the first episode of season 8 of Brooklyn 99 and it's a deeply confused attempt to finally confront the fact that it's about the cops and the cops are bad - not that the institution is bad mind you, just that the system would work if it wasn't for those dang clever lawyers and unions.

But also for (I suspect) 'balance' you have a B plot of Charles taking on what every right-wing cumsock thinks progressive activists are like, anti-union sentiment and an absolutely tone deaf credits scene where they joke about Peralta trying to apologise to Rosa, but then do the apology for real but the emotional payoff is Jake is sad about being a cop? Deeply tonally weird episode.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Charles isnt a parasite, he could of retired and instead is still in the workforce at 74. Thats actually dedication.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

But also for (I suspect) 'balance' you have a B plot of Charles taking on what every right-wing cumsock thinks progressive activists are like, anti-union sentiment and an absolutely tone deaf credits scene where they joke about Peralta trying to apologise to Rosa, but then do the apology for real but the emotional payoff is Jake is sad about being a cop? Deeply tonally weird episode.

Was confused for a moment about whether this was related to the waning popularity of the monarchy.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Anyway. Im strongly considering where I want to be at the moment the pledge of allegianonce is due to happen. Sure, I could just go about my day. But I could also go to a gammonny pub and see if anyone does it and bust a gut laughing before being physically assaulted by a drunk bit of blancmange. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I feel like it’d be a shame to miss something so dumb and weird.

There's a sausage and cider festival that day in Leeds it's almost rude not to

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Jakabite posted:

I’ll be at a rave (Bangface festival), dressed as a guillotine. It’s very unlikely someone would seriously be doing the pledge there, on the other hand it would be funny, so who knows.

For sure you could find some weirdos near the actual coronation site, but it might be more disturbing than funny if there are lots of people doing it.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Are those the weights from a traditional Swiss cuckoo clock hanging down on the other side?

Edit: and the man on the right is covered in tassels (but not as big as the kings ofc)! What’s going on?

Sanford fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 1, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am drawn to the curtain allegation

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Isn’t there some party game where you have to dress up in stuff you find in a hotel room? It’s like he’s done that in a ski chalet. His big badge looks like when my daughter peels a big sticker off eg a grapefruit and insists on wearing it on her school jumper.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The badge I think will be for one of the knightly orders he's supposed to be head of.

E: though I can't place which one, the order of the garter is the most obvious but their badge doesn't look like that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 1, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet I could wear my red tablecloth and my nan's old lampshade on my head and join the procession with the thing that holds my washing line up and everyone would just assume that I was the Lord Lieutenant of Hearts bearing the Lance of Moderation or some poo poo.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fluppet posted:

a sausage and cider festival

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1652974960275599361?t=SHnwl2DOoil8KKaV2L9o2A&s=19

Lol who wants to bet she illegally sublet a house she owned to five different people?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It is with great sadness that I regret to inform you that Jess Phillips is a Gamer:

https://twitter.com/women4wes/status/1653033635191173120

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Comrade Fakename posted:

It is with great sadness that I regret to inform you that Jess Phillips is a Gamer:

https://twitter.com/women4wes/status/1653033635191173120

Alpha 2 by the looks of it:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

the Lance of Moderation

Inferior Third Season posted:

Vote is over.

It seems that a narrow majority of the UKMT thread has voted that Wizard Master "leave".

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Gonzo McFee posted:

Looks more like the Ayatollah Khomeini to me.

to me it looks like a xenomorph that someone has blasted in the face with homer simpson's makeup gun

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

to me it looks like a xenomorph that someone has blasted in the face with homer simpson's makeup gun

In between two pictures of ham

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mourning Due posted:

Alpha 2 by the looks of it:

Just lol if it's a mame cabinet and she gets done for :filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
ngl I'd build a full size MAME cab if I had the spare space and money.