Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yep, I ran into the same thing last April:

Takes No Damage posted:

OG:

DVD:

or

OG:

DVD:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Me Vs the guy she told me not to worry about

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The new series is consistent and I like that.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I won’t fall for such low effort trolls…

:rant:

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Just started watching the OVA on HI Dive and episode 15 is when the show finally clicked for me as absolutely slapping. After all the build up of the Empire snatching the food and supplies from the “liberated” worlds, and the FPA bungling the response to that, when the episode smash opens with a booming classical music score and the Imperial fleet descending on the FPA forces it felt simply epic.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

threeagainstfour posted:

Just started watching the OVA on HI Dive and episode 15 is when the show finally clicked for me as absolutely slapping. After all the build up of the Empire snatching the food and supplies from the “liberated” worlds, and the FPA bungling the response to that, when the episode smash opens with a booming classical music score and the Imperial fleet descending on the FPA forces it felt simply epic.

Hell yeah. The series has a pretty slow ramp up, but once they get to two civil wars at the same time I'm all in baybee.

Steve Yun posted:

Me Vs the guy she told me not to worry about

Mooooooom, can we stop and get some Kircheis?
No, we have Kircheis at home.
*Kircheis at home*

vvv
In-universe this traitor would have made patches for the Goldenbaum Dynasty :barf:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 2, 2023

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Got excited and googled the etsy shop of the guy who does this patch but it looks like his main trade is neo-nazi patches :doh:
Should have known

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Under 15 posted:

Got excited and googled the etsy shop of the guy who does this patch but it looks like his main trade is neo-nazi patches :doh:
Should have known
lalalalalala i can’t hear you

also if any tokyo goons like the hat, i left it on a Tōyoko Line express train and it’s probably still at the lost and found at Iidabashi Station

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
62 episodes in and I realize that this is a show about sandwiches

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Started Neue These after years of resisting, stubbornly refusing on the basis that the old one didn't need a remake.

Okay, I was wrong. While I have a lot to quibble about character designs (uninteresting) and mecha design (baffling), the overall tighter pacing and focus have won me over. I'm hoping they do versions of Prelude and Valley of Silvers now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It’s good but very workmanlike. It’s a straightforward adaptation of the books.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
It gets a lot better, but the first two episodes of DNT were kind of a letdown imo. I hope they make something like My Conquest is the Sea of Stars.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I just can't get over the character designs. I'd probably be ok with them if I'd never seen the old ones. They're kinda textureless and boring by comparison.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

I just can't get over the character designs. I'd probably be ok with them if I'd never seen the old ones. They're kinda textureless and boring by comparison.

Yeah, they feel very Contemporary Anime which, well, fair, but contemporary anime is way too often visually boring. It's still LoGH, though, just looks less interesting.

I love the rudimentary sliding-two-cels-with-dots-on-them-on-top-of-each-other style of portraying massive battle formations in the original as well, so I guess it's nostalgia talking. Every generation deserves their own LoGH?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
LOGH TOS was made with a crayon and Elmer’s glue budget, most of what makes their animation great is the imagination that goes into them

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The soundtrack is also a key component of what makes the original so memorable. It feels so classy and grand even though they probably picked classical because they were on a tight tight tight budget.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The original is loving magical for making the ship battles feel grand despite the impracticality of it all.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Not sure if anyone else is picking up blu rays for DNT but the first volume is almost the cheapest it's been, 30 bucks on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LG1CBH5?ref_=cm_sw_r_apann_dp_1X1WPMZESNQ94GEW77G8

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

hello good forums friends.

I want to get into LOGH, but I'm a bit unsure where to start, and with which sub-team go to with. Is there like an easy guide for the 'best' experience? I tried looking at the OP, but something created in 2004, with the last edit in 2013 probably isn't as correct in 2023

knox
Oct 28, 2004

UnderFreddy posted:

I want to get into LOGH, but I'm a bit unsure where to start, and with which sub-team go to with. Is there like an easy guide for the 'best' experience? I tried looking at the OP, but something created in 2004, with the last edit in 2013 probably isn't as correct in 2023

You should start with LOGH: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, which was the first adaption of the novels released in 1988. After this, watch LOGH: Overture to a New War, which is like a special edition of the first 2 episodes of the OVA. After that you can just start watching the 110 episode OVA, starting with episode 3.

Once you finish the OVA, you should watch the prequels Gaiden 1 & 2 but in chronological order since I just makes more sense to me to watch them that way. Don't read spoilers/don't google search and read about LOGH just dive in.

It took me a few tries to get into LOGH. I knew of it's reputation, but I would throw on the 1st episode at night and end up falling asleep a few times; pacing is kind of slow and a lot of characters thrown at you. In 2020 during lockdown I started just marathoning it and around episode 8 or 10 I knew it was one of the best things I'd ever watched.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

Watch the OVA starting with episode 1 and proceeding through all of the subsequent episodes in order.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Skip the episode previews.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

This is very important.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Watch the OVA starting with episode 1 and proceeding through all of the subsequent episodes in order.

nah, do the two good movies and start with episode 3, I think people criticise the first two episodes too much, but the movie is still just... better

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Thank you everybody!

I can see that there are 3 movies.

My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars

Golden Wings

Overture to a New War

are you saying just watch the first and third movie, then go to the show itself? Skip second one?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bad Seafood posted:

Next week: CHARACTER A dies!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's been awhile, but I remember Golden Wings being a recap of the series and so not being something to watch in advance.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

Thank you everybody!

I can see that there are 3 movies.

My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars

Golden Wings

Overture to a New War

are you saying just watch the first and third movie, then go to the show itself? Skip second one?

Golden Wings should not be considered onboarding material.

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars is a prologue to the series, and was the first thing produced, but I personally don't find it to be that effective an introduction because it kind of assumes you already know and like the main characters. Watch it if you want.

Overture to a New War is a retelling of the first couple episodes which expands the scope to include the perspective of other characters who would not otherwise be introduced until later. The original episodes more cleanly fit into the following ones, so I find it makes for a more consistent viewing experience to save it for later.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Starting with episode 1 of OVA and watching through episode 110 and then checking out the other stuff is totally fine also, pretty sure that is what I did the first time I watched it. What I described in last post is also fine, can't really go wrong, unless you watch Golden Wings and nothing else for some reason.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, it's hard to go wrong. Just as long as, and I know we already said this but it cannot be stressed enough, you do not watch the episode previews.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bongo Bill posted:

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars is a prologue to the series, and was the first thing produced, but I personally don't find it to be that effective an introduction because it kind of assumes you already know and like the main characters. Watch it if you want.

It has a space battle set to Ravel's Bolero.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I watched both movies first and then started with episode 1 of the OVA. Yeah it's the same thing but it's a good thing so what's not to like about seeing it twice.

Golden Wings is a fun movie to watch after everything else, but it's best treated as non-canon/fan fiction imo.

I tried to get my friend started with My Conquest is the Sea of Stars but he thought it was kind of boring and didn't want to keep going. If you've already committed to watching more, it's a good start, but if you're on the fence, then Overture to a New War is the better movie.

I watched all of the episode previews. :twisted:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The episode previews do spoil stuff but it’s in keeping with how the series presents itself. Both in real-life framing (it’s an adaptation of well-known novel series which finished before the show was released) and in-universe presentation, it acts as though its viewers will already understand at least the outline of the events it depicts. It’s framed as a kind of historical drama along the lines of Fall of Eagles or something. The omnipresent narrator is a didactic figure telling us about a golden age long past. He doesn’t care if what happens next week surprises you, because it all happened an arbitrary amount of time ago. No one would expect not to be spoiled on the fact Julius Caesar gets stabbed.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
As most have said, the recommended order is the following:

1. My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars
2. Overture To A New War (Expands on the first 2 episodes. You can watch LOGH ep 1-2 first and then Overture if you want to see the differences/slight changes made but it is not required)
3. Legend of the Galactic Heroes (episodes 3-110)

Afterwards, if you want more of LOGH, the Gaidens/Spiral Labyrinth. All of those are side stories that take place before the main series.

As for where to watch it, legally it is only available on HiDive, which may only be available in the US.

As for :filez: , there are multiple groups that have done it in multiple format. One was fansubbed a long time ago and one is from HiDive's subs. Also, there are differences in animation between the BD/DVD and laserdisc. The BD/DVD had to reanimate certain scenes and not well due to the original film was lost/damaged. The laserdisc has those original animated scenes but laserdisc quality is not the best.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

I always go with the two movies then episode 3 tactic when I introduce LoGH to my friends, but for some reason they left out the explanation of tank beds from Overture to a New War. How will people understand this series without this critical lore?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Some of the previews are super poetic poo poo from the narrator but yeah, best not to watch those.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Best endings are when they cram more content into the episode so that it spills over into the credits and the narrator doesn’t have time to spoil the next episode

Edit: oh poo poo they still preview the next episode. Umm, if it’s a generic end credit just skip right away and if the episode bleeds into the credits skip once the episode content is over

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 1, 2023

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
it's probably easier just to list the specific episode not to watch the credits for

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I also watched the series starting with the two movies then starting with episode 3. Well I clicked wrong and started with 4 and only realized my mistake when I finished episode 110 and wanted to rewatch.

It can be kind of overwhelming at the start specially with the movies introducing loads of characters and trying to follow the fpa and empire plotlines but the show is helpful enough to repeatedly show you the names of important people so you can just follow along if you forget their names.

Whatever your watch order though, you really shouldn't watch the previews at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

In fact, try to ignore episode names as well.