Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I agree 100% that having your first 'major' patch as essentially adding a cash shop is pretty tone-deaf when the peripherals of the game are in such bad shape. The game is bleeding player count due to problems (real or perceived) and you drop a turd of a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Yeah not to announce departures or anything but this is my stepping off point. It's not some egregious slap in the face or whatever dramatic poo poo YouTube is telling me but the goodwill generated by CoH 1 wore off a long time ago and this did not feel like a completed game on release.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I still can't get over an MP focused RTS game getting a lovely cash shop before a functioning replay system.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

CoH2 had camo that made your tanks the same color scheme as the tank from Valkeria Chronicles, they’ll never top that because no one gives a poo poo about a different shade of camo, and VC was a good game.

If they started replacing the BARs with laser guns or the Matilda tank with Thomas the Tank Engine, you’d still alienate people who wanted a complete game, but you’d at least have something to spend money on.

I should replay VC4.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Relic isn’t getting another cent from me until they add the eastern front armies or let me replace the riflemen models with anime waifus.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

99pct of germs posted:

I still can't get over an MP focused RTS game getting a lovely cash shop before a functioning replay system.

For what it's worth that is probably Sega's doing more than anything. Just because you paid for a game doesn't mean you are done paying for it, after all.

At least it's better than Warhammer 40k: Darktide where they are still trying to implement crafting but had a cash shop in right at launch... on a self-published game.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Whatever the reason even I as a very benign and forgiving game player am pretty peeved by it, I enjoyed the game straight from the start and quickly put 50 hours into it but decided to wait for more balancing and maps for now, and this is what they put out?

Like, I think gamers *spits* nowadays are some of the whiniest people on the planet but the current uproar about this is justified imo.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

How do you get call-ins as dark?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

How do you get call-ins as dark?

There are a bunch of buttons on the side of the screen that start the game on a 6 minute timer. Once 6 minutes hits, you are free to call in either a 250 with an AT rifle squad or a 250 with a MP40 squad and put it back on cooldown. There are options to get a 250 with a towed AT gun or a towed HE gun but those require the T1.5 tech which no one gets because the flak halftrack is worthless.

Son of Rodney posted:

Whatever the reason even I as a very benign and forgiving game player am pretty peeved by it, I enjoyed the game straight from the start and quickly put 50 hours into it but decided to wait for more balancing and maps for now, and this is what they put out?

Like, I think gamers *spits* nowadays are some of the whiniest people on the planet but the current uproar about this is justified imo.

I still think the core gameplay, especially in 1 v 1 is great even with its balance issues. I have been putting in 5-10 games daily but I think the fact that I have 4 maps on rotation (still low) helps.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm guessing 2v2land isn't as competitive because that's what I play and am able to have pretty even games, even when I'm messing with units and doctrines that probably aren't "meta". I guess it helps that (far as I know) the UK doesn't have any units that stand out as particularly overpowered or particularly underpowered, but I do also think the initial balance hotfix was a godsend for putting down the most oppressive Nazi strategies.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Biggest scalp to date. I am getting better! (at abusing cheese). Well I guess its fair since UKF AT Boys and RE cheese is pretty obnxious too.

Mordja posted:

I'm guessing 2v2land isn't as competitive because that's what I play and am able to have pretty even games, even when I'm messing with units and doctrines that probably aren't "meta". I guess it helps that (far as I know) the UK doesn't have any units that stand out as particularly overpowered or particularly underpowered, but I do also think the initial balance hotfix was a godsend for putting down the most oppressive Nazi strategies.

Brits with AT Boys and the infantry training tech are a nightmare. 10% target and received accuracy per vet level on top of regular vet bonuses. Turns AT rifles into borderline sniper rifles knocking off models like crazy. RE is also borderline cheese since it a low effort APM check on your opponent where you right-click next to their squad and they have to either hit R if they can't pay the micro tax at the time to stutter step backward or if they are preoccupied somewhere else, they lose their squad.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 4, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What is RE?

Curious, which is more competitive and balanced? 1v1 or 2v2s? To me, anything beyond that gets too messy - I think the maps are too small but still occasionally fun.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Game is ostensibly balanced for 1v1.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

MikeC posted:

There are a bunch of buttons on the side of the screen that start the game on a 6 minute timer. Once 6 minutes hits, you are free to call in either a 250 with an AT rifle squad or a 250 with a MP40 squad and put it back on cooldown. There are options to get a 250 with a towed AT gun or a towed HE gun but those require the T1.5 tech which no one gets because the flak halftrack is worthless.

I still think the core gameplay, especially in 1 v 1 is great even with its balance issues. I have been putting in 5-10 games daily but I think the fact that I have 4 maps on rotation (still low) helps.

I love the gameplay, but play mostly 3v3 or 4v4 so maps are limited.

Just find myself missing more varied maps, especially classics from the first. Gonna assume sheld was not loved but it was hilarious dumb fun.

My main criticism with relic at this point is that they're not fixing relatively simple yet essential features like in-game stat board, maybe some rank progression, and replay, but instead putting in a cash show which i will never, ever use but is also completely useless in the game.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What is RE?

Curious, which is more competitive and balanced? 1v1 or 2v2s? To me, anything beyond that gets too messy - I think the maps are too small but still occasionally fun.

Royal Engineers. 4 man SMG squad that is available at the start of the game. Can beat any Tier 0 or Tier 1 infantry unit in the game if you close the distance to short range. You can respond by stutter stepping backwards in between volleys.

1v1 is pretty balanced if you know the meta and timings as well as what resources to deny early game. If you don't know the meta you will likely get crushed without knowing what is going on.

DAK and UKF both Tier 1. USF probably Tier 2. Wehr is likely the worst by a sizable margin though Jaeger Shrek blobbing is can get you to late game where the P4 is legit good.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

There's a very annoying glitch right now related to MGs stationed in buildings. Sometimes you'll be fighting an enemy with your MG garrisoned, and the enemy manages to kill the gunner. Instead of one of the other men in the squad taking over for him, the squad gets out of the building and retreats off the map and you lose the unit altogether. I gather this is happening because the gun is either being destroyed or made inaccessible, and weapons teams are programmed to retreat off the map when they lose the weapon. It often means instantly losing 250 manpower at the very beginning of a match and being at a huge disadvantage from the get-go

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Cognac McCarthy posted:

There's a very annoying glitch right now related to MGs stationed in buildings. Sometimes you'll be fighting an enemy with your MG garrisoned, and the enemy manages to kill the gunner. Instead of one of the other men in the squad taking over for him, the squad gets out of the building and retreats off the map and you lose the unit altogether. I gather this is happening because the gun is either being destroyed or made inaccessible, and weapons teams are programmed to retreat off the map when they lose the weapon. It often means instantly losing 250 manpower at the very beginning of a match and being at a huge disadvantage from the get-go

Been reported for some time now yet Relic can't seem to get a fix in. Its a shame this game is going down the toilet because they care more about hot-fixing monetization than they do game mechanics smh. I am not going to bitch about "balance" because I understand the inherent impossibility of balancing a game mode where you can have 1 v 1s or 4 v 4s and basically have a fundamentally different game but the bug fixes, maps and replay issues continue to trickle down very slowly.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Am I the only person having trouble with OneDrive and Company of Heroes? Even excluding the folder isn't fixing my problem!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://community.companyofheroes.c..._campaign=QandA

How the gently caress do they even have the balls to post this. Just hundreds of words for non-answers and patting themselves on the back.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That's uhh... a weird interview but they've got a twitch one tomorrow. I'll wait for that.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Yeah there is a big balance patch coming out tomorrow. I imagine this'll be make or break for a lot of players.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Dull Fork posted:

Yeah there is a big balance patch coming out tomorrow. I imagine this'll be make or break for a lot of players.

The damage is likely irrevocable. The player count is now dipping below 2000 on US/NA primetime. Likely the game will be unviable if it stays like this for much longer. They totally shot themselves in the foot.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It's a real shame because the building blocks are there for a really great game. I know it's too much to hope for but maybe other devs will look at how badly Relic hosed up here and learn some lessons. "Step 1 on release should be making sure the game is actually in a release state rather than trying to fleece your customers for even more money" being chief among them.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
The timing for the release of the lovely cosmetics store was hilarious.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's a real shame because the building blocks are there for a really great game. I know it's too much to hope for but maybe other devs will look at how badly Relic hosed up here and learn some lessons. "Step 1 on release should be making sure the game is actually in a release state rather than trying to fleece your customers for even more money" being chief among them.

Yeah, you'd have thought that after the Dawn of War 3 debacle there'd be some lessons learned. Hard to say how much the publisher influenced any decision making regarding the money shop. Really shame as while CoH2 is still a great game in MP, it has just been too many years and something a bit different and fresh would have been nice.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I fell off it pretty hard after playing through the campaigns + some multi-player for the same reason I always do with these kinds of games: I like being able to try out strategies rather than every match being a race to counter the One Weird Trick that everyone is using that month. If that makes me a scrub then so be it, I just like building riflemen okay?!

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
It doesn't feel like the game is a million miles away from being a great RTS, at least on the multiplayer side. Add some more maps, fix the meta favouring blobs of AT infantry and add the basic multiplayer elements like replays, observer mode and a better ranking system and that's probably 90% of the issues resolved. Whether Relic decides to do this before digging the grave even deeper with more paid content is anyone's guess.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MikeC posted:

The damage is likely irrevocable. The player count is now dipping below 2000 on US/NA primetime. Likely the game will be unviable if it stays like this for much longer. They totally shot themselves in the foot.

The balance patch is still coming out along with the twitch interview, it's not over yet?

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

I think it depends on whether the patch does enough and they are able to commit to fixing the issues. The most damage has seemingly been caused by tone deaf messaging after the release, at least by skimming through comments to most of the news items and a couple of streamers. Of course there were already people pre-release who weren't going to like the game for some superficial reason, but the way things have been handled does give them more ammunition.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Twitch interview in 20 minutes. Ugh. I don't want this game to flop. :smith:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

The balance patch is still coming out along with the twitch interview, it's not over yet?

The thing is balance is like not remotely close to being an issue losing the most players. The lack of content is the main killer with the barebones map pool being one of them. 4 maps for 1v1. 3 maps for 2v2 and 3v3. TWO maps for 4v4.

Basic UI functionality is still garbage. No after game chat. No queue or population timer to show whether you should queue as Axis or Allies. Basic tech trees are missing. For more competitive players there are no good replay options. No observation mode to help streamers carry interest.

Bugs are still a major issue. Ex the MG bug listed above. Or the fact that 76 Shermans don't get their health upgrade if you don't tech in the right order.

Balance is a thing that drives away players but they have proven time and time again even in just this game that they are clueless with random overnerfs and overbuffs that 'shake up the meta' only to have new degenerate strategies emerge while Boys AT is still stupid strong since launch.

On top of that as many games have learned, it is much harder to get players to come back than it is to even just feed them some bones and keep them on board. When the console releases in May, there will likely be a PC steam sale. If sales are middling or poor and/or players don't return, Sega will cut the cord on this game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://community.companyofheroes.c...ce-update-1-1-4

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is there an experimental branch for this game or does Relic just crank a bunch of knobs all at once and hope for the best?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there an experimental branch for this game or does Relic just crank a bunch of knobs all at once and hope for the best?

The latter approach

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MikeC posted:

The thing is balance is like not remotely close to being an issue losing the most players. The lack of content is the main killer with the barebones map pool being one of them. 4 maps for 1v1. 3 maps for 2v2 and 3v3. TWO maps for 4v4.

Basic UI functionality is still garbage. No after game chat. No queue or population timer to show whether you should queue as Axis or Allies. Basic tech trees are missing. For more competitive players there are no good replay options. No observation mode to help streamers carry interest.

True. These have big problems for a while and it kind of weird that they haven't touched on it at all.

The twitch interview is over... it wasn't as bad as the last one.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Not to worry, the console release of this game will surely revitalize the community, as I'm sure it will use the built in mouse and keyboard hardware level controls built into the playstation since 4 to allow you to play it like every other pc release on console other than war thunder, evil genius 2, and that slytherine bsg game

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Solid changes. Played one game, and faced a wehr player who complained about spamming MGs (I had only built 2), and left after a Stuart punked him.

Really bummed that observer mode and replays are still not mentioned, the lack of those features is really strangling the community side of things.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Not a bad patch but I wonder if it is too late and too little, the new roadmap sounds like they are at least listening to community requests. They need to deliver soon -

https://twitter.com/CompanyOfHeroes/status/1651708070219636736?s=20

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
From that roadmap post "As outlined in the above list, our focus right now is on improving the overall gameplay experience, rolling out fixes, adding additional quality-of-life features, and bringing new content to Company of Heroes 3. This means some requested items like Replays, Observer Mode or Ranked seasons aren’t on our short-term list for now. "

I read that as 'new content (that you can pay us for) is prioritized over Replays, Observer mode, or Ranked' and that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Also guesses on how long that 4v4 map takes to be released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It sounds like they are trying to Live Service CoH a bit and that's a batshit idea for this kind of genre. You either end up with a bunch of poorly made maps or new units that have to be added on top of the already shaky house of cards that is the game.