Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.meta.com/en-gb/blog/quest/amid-evil-launch-meta-quest-2-vr-retro-fps/

What’s next for you? Any future plans?
Dave Oshry:: DUSK VR and ULTRAKILL VR. Yeah, I said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

What is he even referring to here?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

He made a dumb bet with I think one of the Decentraland guys and is using the reminder to it to pump up the thing he’s now pinning his future relevance.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It looks to me like he's claiming AI will not transform the world, seeing as he's drawing parallels between it and Decentraland.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, he's saying ai won't transform everything in few years because there's too much systemic inertia.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

After the Fall does the essentials well enough (shooting zombies is fun!), but it fails in some other areas.
-It has very few special enemies (and the ones it has aren't that... special).
-The AI director, if there is any, it's pretty mediocre, the runs are very similar in between because of that.
-t has very few people playing on the lower difficulty levels so starting to play now it's harder.
-Bots don't know to use heal items or use one to revive you, making playing with them way harder.
-No join in progress, either. It should exist and players replace bots, like in other coop games.
-I don't love how the difficulty is balanced. The difficulty is too concentrated in a single point, the final fight. IMO, it should be a bit easier and the normal fights a bit harder.
-As commented before, it needs a beefy computer to play without framerate worries.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 23, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Turin Turambar posted:

-I don't love how the difficulty is balanced. The difficulty is too concentrated in a single point, the final fight. IMO, it should be a bit easier and the normal fights a bit harder.

I think I kind of felt the same way about Light Brigade. I got tired of plodding through technically-randomized yet identical-feeling levels just to hit the boss like a brick wall. After a few times, I dropped it on the floor and never picked it back up.

I don't envy devs having to tune the balance of a game (including stuff like how the controls work) on the fly after release.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.uploadvr.com/jeopardy-metaverse-nobody-knew/

This is uploadvr scrapping a bit the bottom of the barrel for news... but I found it funny and I'm reposting it so I guess it worked.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

"Jeopardy mentioned our industry" is pretty common space filler for videogame sites especially. It goes hand in hand with that sad desperation for validation from outside that sees all those depressing articles proclaiming that videogames are finally respected after a TV or movie adaptation doesn't get completely trashed by critics.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8uoO-hJ4Nw

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ooooo shiiiit

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/developer-sessions-meta-quest-gdc-2023/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=MetaQuestGDC
The 4 gdc sessions are on youtube now

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No more Rainbows will be released into the official Quest store. This is an old video. Seems a mix of Gorilla tag + traditional platform (single player campaign divided in levels)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4H_zkyFqE0

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Breachers is cool(having never played Siege) BUT the leaning mechanic is just quirky enoughthat it really needs to be internalized else you’ll blame wacky code.

I was super mixed about the game because it felt “off” without having this explanation:

Stick movement is your true player movement. Your body will center to your head perspective when moving. As soon as you stop stick movement you have a new “center(look down for the square indicating so)”. Moving your fat, disgusting form physically does not impact the square and the game will interpret the movement as leaning. If you try to “lean” too far away from the center your perspective gets snapped back to the center and it feels a little wonky. This is actually a super sharp way of interpreting leaning without body tracking. Maybe it needs better explanation in-game like seeing your body or a kit rattling sound or an in-game guardian but it’s slick enough where you don’t have to intellectualize your natural movement.

Anyway that’s my TED talk. It’s really cool what they did and it’s just a little extra puppetry you gotta do for body trackerless articulation.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I decided to go ahead and try for a Meta Quest 2 again, and I'm selling off my Index headset+cable (gone, eBay), Index controllers (also eBay) and my Lighthouse base stations. I'd be willing to sell them here, I'll get plat if anybody's interested. I remember there was a poster earlier who was considering getting more base stations but that was a while back.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That was me. Any idea how much you’d like for them?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

e: Base stations are sold now.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 28, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Steam sale
https://store.steampowered.com/category/puzzle_matching?tab=18

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

What's a good, cheapish router that can handle Airlink or Virtual Desktop well? I think somebody mentioned a tp-link router earlier ITT but I was reading reviews online while at Wal-Mart today and some people were having issues with them. I want something $100 or under that can Just Work (I mean I don't mind fiddling with poo poo a little bit but I'm not going to block all of my other wi-fi devices to play VR).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any dual band router with 5ghz should be fine as long as you have your PC hard wired to it, I worked off a TP-Link AC1750 for a while and it just worked without needing any changes. I live in a busy apartment complex with tons of SSID's around too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

So does the signal run from your DSL line to the router then, and then gets broadcast to your headset, I assume? I wonder if people having issues are people who link their PCs to their router's wirelessly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

King Vidiot posted:

So does the signal run from your DSL line to the router then, and then gets broadcast to your headset, I assume? I wonder if people having issues are people who link their PCs to their router's wirelessly.

DSL has nothing to do with it, that's the internet side of the equation.

The PC is connected to an ethernet network, and the device providing the WiFi signal is also connected to that same ethernet network and configured to bridge the two together. Anything relating to the firewall/router or modem elements, as well as the internet as a whole, doesn't matter.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Not seeing this posted from a search but, free game on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2318280/Memories_From_Beyond_a_Coral_Sea/

Watching a video for it now, hadnt heard of it before this.
Reviews says its a few hours long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuoqzI4ktlc

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Amid Evil is really good. Looks beautiful on PCVR. And since it's a port of a flatscreen game, that means lots of levels, enemies, and weapons. The enemy AI can be stinky at times, but its a fun game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Bought a new router today, haven't hooked it up yet. I did try to connect my headset via Airlink and it... just didn't recognize my PC at all so I don't know. Hopefully the new router will fare better, or even if it doesn't I needed one anyways.

I don't know what to do though if it doesn't work, the only reason I got the Quest 2 was as an Index replacement, hoping I could play all the games I already bought.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

King Vidiot posted:

Bought a new router today, haven't hooked it up yet. I did try to connect my headset via Airlink and it... just didn't recognize my PC at all so I don't know. Hopefully the new router will fare better, or even if it doesn't I needed one anyways.

I don't know what to do though if it doesn't work, the only reason I got the Quest 2 was as an Index replacement, hoping I could play all the games I already bought.

You can. Be close enough to it that its not dealing with tons of bullshit between you and it, make sure its on the same "network". Thats it.

If it dont find it at that point you've not installed the oculus stuff and or setup airlink/VD correctly. Start over.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is Amid Evil VR good?
It looks good and I haven't seen a good new VR game for ages now.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ChocNitty posted:

Amid Evil is really good. Looks beautiful on PCVR. And since it's a port of a flatscreen game, that means lots of levels, enemies, and weapons. The enemy AI can be stinky at times, but its a fun game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cool. Cool.

It's also funny how if you want to buy Amid Evil VR then it's cheaper to also take the flatscreen version.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Is Amid Evil VR good?
It looks good and I haven't seen a good new VR game for ages now.

Well, it kinda feels like a well done VR mod of a 2d FPS game, as the game wasn't designed in the first place for VR, so there aren't particularly interesting VR interactions or things that feel native to VR, that would have been impossible in any other medium. Also, given the move speed and the jump (it's a retro shooter) it needs a good iron stomach.

From my part, I started playing Wanderer. And... I got stuck 30 minutes in. It's a very traditional adventure in a sense, searching for objects, then using object A into B, etc.

UploadVR really liked Eye of the Temple

They also have an interview with the Vertigo dev

A good offer on Steam, for the Croteam games

Next month this horror game will release on Steam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71d4h62xSPY

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Alright, I've got everything set up with the Quest 2, it's connected to my PC and working just fine with Airlink. I'm already liking how much quicker I can get into VR with the Quest 2, how much lighter it is, no heavy-rear end cable dragging along behind me and resting on my shoulder while I play.

I think overall I'll be happier with this headset over the Index, even if the FOV is worse. It's not any worse than the Rift S and the Rift S was fine so :shrug: Can't wait to try out Resident Evil 4 and all the Sidequest apps, like Doom.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
are there good and (relatively) inexpensive minipcs i could use as a vr box? i recognize that the card is going to be the most expensive component but my vision is to have a physically small box i can tuck away in a corner that is dedicated to running games via airlink on the quest 2

i dont own a regular desktop pc and dont have any room for one

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Inexpensive probably not, especially since Nvidia are barely in the mini PC space at all. AMD are used there much more but AMD's VR performance is not amazing. You're probably better off getting something like a gaming laptop, it'll be cheaper and most of the powerful mini PCs are using laptop parts anyway. The other option would be something like the Intel NUCs that are designed to have a regular desktop GPU added in.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

What's the consensus must have accessories for a quest 2? I just bought a used one off ebay for like $170.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i actually do have a gaming laptop with a pretty good card that is theoretically vr ready in it (it can run cyberpunk at 1080 raytraced), the only problem is that it turns into an oven and slows down to a crawl after an hour or so. i guess i could cannabalize it for parts but i'm absolutely not confident in my ability to build computers

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Parallelwoody posted:

What's the consensus must have accessories for a quest 2? I just bought a used one off ebay for like $170.

I would definitely invest in some replacement facial interfaces from VR Cover if you're getting a used one. You have no idea whose face was touching that foam and how sweaty they were when they did it. I have one of the silicone ones with the fabric one over top and it's great for comfort/swapping out if it gets too grody.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al! posted:

are there good and (relatively) inexpensive minipcs i could use as a vr box? i recognize that the card is going to be the most expensive component but my vision is to have a physically small box i can tuck away in a corner that is dedicated to running games via airlink on the quest 2

i dont own a regular desktop pc and dont have any room for one

Define 'inexpensive'. Because a decent modern gaming computer is going to be around $1500 at least. And how mini it has to be... there are some mini towers that aren't that bulky. Something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qecVXUe3xE4
?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

explosivo posted:

I would definitely invest in some replacement facial interfaces from VR Cover if you're getting a used one. You have no idea whose face was touching that foam and how sweaty they were when they did it.

i mean beyond that the stock cover is also bad at blocking out light coming in through the nose section. its also very bad at venting out moisture and heat if youre playing something very active or working out in vr.

i got one from kiwi designs and havent had an issue with it since

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Meta gaming showcase, June 1
https://twitter.com/ARVRGirl/status/1653078754430681089

edit: wait, what the hell is that headset showon in the teaser video? edit 2: ok no, it's a helmet with horns. lol

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Parallelwoody posted:

Facial interface first as the others said, then battery & better headstrap. I do not recommend the Elite Strap, they are cheap and breaky. BoboVR halo is pretty popular and I really like my Frankenquest DAS which is the Deluxe Audio Strap for the Vive with 3d printed adapters to mount to the Quest.

Frankenquest also solves the mediocre audio issue.