Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

a glitch...??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

like you dont own a pair of heelys

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I guess it also depends on the game too. Elden Ring got a free pass even though it's PC release was unplayable at launch.

you seem to use the word unplayable a lot, to mean something that's just sorta glitchy or chugs a bit, instead of the meaning most people would use which is unable to be played at all

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If I were a vampire I would simply glide over the ground as well. Walkings for suckers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

you seem to use the word unplayable a lot, to mean something that's just sorta glitchy or chugs a bit, instead of the meaning most people would use which is unable to be played at all

Elden Ring is very fast paced and punishing with zero room for error in timing from the player. This makes it unplayable when frame pacing and performance issues at the most inconvenient times occur. Like sure you could struggle your way through it, but it really loving sucks to play that way.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Warhammer 40k: Darktide is loving amazing but for a decent chunk of people was/is literally unplayable due to errors and some higher end GPUs constantly crashing the game.

A lot of games recently have struggled to function on 40xx Nvidia cards or their equivalents and I wonder what change in GPU card development has caused so many issues recently lol.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Digging out my Voodoo3 so I can play modern games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

Warhammer 40k: Darktide is loving amazing but for a decent chunk of people was/is literally unplayable due to errors and some higher end GPUs constantly crashing the game.

A lot of games recently have struggled to function on 40xx Nvidia cards or their equivalents and I wonder what change in GPU card development has caused so many issues recently lol.

At this point I just don't even pretend to understand what is going on with so many games releasing on PC in a horrible state, it seems to be a large number of different things. Like at first I thought it was maybe just Unreal Engine titles, but other games using totally different game engines, are having these problems too (the Last of Us, Elden Ring). And it's not even just PC, consoles aren't doing much better either. And really regardless of the problems, I feel like it's still on the developers to make sure it doesn't happen. Patching it later loving sucks as a policy, but lots of devs are doing it and then most don't even follow through on it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
aw man, I bought Peglin since it was on sale last month and seemed neat, finally got around to trying it and it somehow manages to make peggle worse :(

watched a short video about it and it looked like a neat concept, but I did two runs and it just...sucks. I made it through two areas on my first run and made it to some big boss in the third area on my second run, but it gave me a definite FTL vibe of "if you don't have the right build, you're dead on arrival to the boss". a shame, it has a cute vibe but it's just kinda a nothing game. if it drops below 10 bucks I might say pick it up if interested, but definitely not for 15-20.

I forgot steam has a 2 week limit on refunds, which is bullshit, it should be like a month at least or just stick with the 2 hour playtime limit.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I said come in! posted:

At this point I just don't even pretend to understand what is going on with so many games releasing on PC in a horrible state, it seems to be a large number of different things. Like at first I thought it was maybe just Unreal Engine titles, but other games using totally different game engines, are having these problems too (the Last of Us, Elden Ring). And it's not even just PC, consoles aren't doing much better either. And really regardless of the problems, I feel like it's still on the developers to make sure it doesn't happen. Patching it later loving sucks as a policy, but lots of devs are doing it and then most don't even follow through on it.

On some level I don't entirely blame devs as there is just so much different hardware and software out there that making sure your game will run perfectly on everything is impossible. Especially since there are folks who either refuse to upgrade or just fiscally can't upgrade from old hardware/software who will still try to play and ultimately get a negative view of a new game because it doesn't work well. That, and the fact the games were probably developed over the course of years with a specific ceiling of hardware in mind that later got shattered by new tech before the new game even launches... Seems kinda rough ngl

Consoles obviously end up getting the better end of this as devs know exactly what sort of hardware and software a game is gonna be run on and can precompile shaders etc to ensure everything ends up running smoothly. poo poo still happens of course.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Elden Ring is very fast paced and punishing with zero room for error in timing from the player. This makes it unplayable when frame pacing and performance issues at the most inconvenient times occur. Like sure you could struggle your way through it, but it really loving sucks to play that way.

i had a bad time playing elden ring but it wasn't because of performance issues.

i guess i'm just being pedantic about "unplayable". it's a binary word, you can play the game or you can't, there's other words for when a game is struggling to run or has minor issues that you can ignore or push through. my apologies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

i had a bad time playing elden ring but it wasn't because of performance issues.

i guess i'm just being pedantic about "unplayable". it's a binary word, you can play the game or you can't, there's other words for when a game is struggling to run or has minor issues that you can ignore or push through. my apologies.

you're right too, I could probably stand to not be so hyperbolic around here sometimes.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Captain Invictus posted:

aw man, I bought Peglin since it was on sale last month and seemed neat, finally got around to trying it and it somehow manages to make peggle worse :(

watched a short video about it and it looked like a neat concept, but I did two runs and it just...sucks. I made it through two areas on my first run and made it to some big boss in the third area on my second run, but it gave me a definite FTL vibe of "if you don't have the right build, you're dead on arrival to the boss". a shame, it has a cute vibe but it's just kinda a nothing game. if it drops below 10 bucks I might say pick it up if interested, but definitely not for 15-20.

I forgot steam has a 2 week limit on refunds, which is bullshit, it should be like a month at least or just stick with the 2 hour playtime limit.

I kinda avoided it for similar reasons.

I definitely like the concept but it really just struck me as the kinda game that didn't have enough stuff to be really engaging. Not enough events, balls, different zones and bosses, etc.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Go into the hyperbolic time chamber to practice appropriate use of hyperbole. When you exit you can literally say you spent 10 years practicing it, and are therefore no longer using hyperbole to describe it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

On some level I don't entirely blame devs as there is just so much different hardware and software out there that making sure your game will run perfectly on everything is impossible. Especially since there are folks who either refuse to upgrade or just fiscally can't upgrade from old hardware/software who will still try to play and ultimately get a negative view of a new game because it doesn't work well. That, and the fact the games were probably developed over the course of years with a specific ceiling of hardware in mind that later got shattered by new tech before the new game even launches... Seems kinda rough ngl

Consoles obviously end up getting the better end of this as devs know exactly what sort of hardware and software a game is gonna be run on and can precompile shaders etc to ensure everything ends up running smoothly. poo poo still happens of course.

True, and i'm probably coming across as a Karen over this, it's just frustrating. I just want to play good video games. And like Jedi Survivor, is easily game of the year even with the technical problems. If it just had the same level of technical polish as God of War Ragnarok, it would be. Granted that's not really fair cause Ragnarok was made with two consoles in mind.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ORn6tRK9E&hd=1

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I'll wait for God is a Geek's review before passing judgement, it should be noted that back in March they said, "Redfall is a serious game of the year contender"

God is a Geek is very funny to me but I finally looked up the owner

quote:

The Reverend
Calvin Robinson

He was a video games journalist and is also owner of the video games site God is a Geek.[15][16]

Robinson has also held various positions in right-wing political organisations and campaigns including Defund the BBC, Unite2Leave (a pro-Brexit tactical voting campaign), and Conservative Way Forward.[20] He has contributed to Black Lives Matter UK: An Anthology, a Henry Jackson Society report opposing Black Lives Matter and "hard-left identity politics".[22] Robinson has claimed that his commentary has made him the target of racial abuse.[23]

Media career
Robinson has also worked for talkRADIO and as a television presenter on GB News, with, from late 2022, a regular slot on Sunday afternoons entitled "Calvin's Common Sense Crusade".[24][25][26]

Political views
Robinson opposes the teaching of critical race theory in British education and argues that the teaching of black history and lessons concerning black people should be taught within the context of British history and not taught separately.[31][32] He has also defended colonialism and the British Empire, and has opposed reparations for slavery.[33]

In July 2021, Robinson appeared in an interview on Channel 4 News with the singer and left-wing political activist Billy Bragg on the decision of England's football team players to "take the knee" in a protest against racism.[34] He said the action was "disgusting" and argued that, in taking the knee, the team was promoting "Black Lives Matter", which he described as "a neo-Marxist, anti-British, anti-family organisation".[35]

In November 2022, Robinson praised Enoch Powell's "Rivers of blood" speech on his blog.[36]

Robinson is a eurosceptic, having stood previously for election as a candidate for the Brexit Party, now Reform UK.

Theological and moral views
In an interview with Premier Christianity, Robinson described himself as an Evangelical Catholic.[37] The Catholic Herald described Robinson as an Evangelical Anglican, but also noted that he shares some high church positions, such as the use of the title "Father", holding a "high" understanding of the Eucharist and of the institution of the church by Christ.[38] According to the Catholic Herald, Robinson considers Michael Nazir-Ali, a former bishop of the Church of England who later converted to the Catholic Church, to be a mentor.[38]

He has spoken in favour of disestablishing the Church of England in order to free it from political influence and allow alternative Anglican churches to thrive. Robinson himself is a deacon in the Free Church of England, a conservative Anglican splinter group. Robinson is strongly critical of the leadership of the Church of England, accusing it of liberal political bias.[10] Following his failure to obtain a Church of England curacy, Robinson alleged in The Mail on Sunday that Sarah Mullally, the Bishop of London, had personally told him off because of his rejection of critical race theory.[39]

Robinson opposes the ordination of women.[27][39] He is also opposed to the facilitation of same-sex marriage in the Church of England and has argued that the Bible only allows marriage between a man and a woman. He argues that premarital sex is a sin.[40] He also opposes abortion and holds pro-life positions.[41]

:whitewater:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arzaac posted:

I kinda avoided it for similar reasons.

I definitely like the concept but it really just struck me as the kinda game that didn't have enough stuff to be really engaging. Not enough events, balls, different zones and bosses, etc.
nah, it's not even the lack of variety, there's tons of types of orbs, equipment, and I only encountered a single repeat event. the core concept just gets really boring really, really fast.

like, Loop Hero, which is a game you barely play, is a more enjoyable game to play than Peglin

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Help Im Alive posted:

:ohno:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah so he meant like the anti-Last Jedi and TLOU2 kind of geek

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

jesus gently caress :cripes:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

god truly is a geek

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
so he liked Redfall because he thought the name was a reference to Rivers of Blood

it tracks

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Checked out their twitter, they’re just endlessly retweeting Blaze headlines.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Extremely weird

quote:

We at GodisaGeek would like to acknowledge the comments that Harry Potter creator J.K Rowling has made regarding transgender people. Her regular comments discussing these issues have affected countless members of the LGBTQ+ community, many of whom will be boycotting Hogwarts Legacy because of this (regardless of Rowling’s involvement in the project).

At GodisaGeek we believe that trans rights are human rights, and offer our full support to the LGBTQIA+ community. Our coverage of Hogwarts Legacy is presented as a critique of the hard work that the team at Avalanche put into making a great video game, and nothing more.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cons: game sucks
pros: jk rowling

godscore 5/5

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Starting up Satan is a Geek as a video game review site.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
God is a Geek is canceled.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
should be cancelled for stealing their name from the extremely cool Sister Bliss and Maxi Jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhSB8EEnCAM

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I said come in! posted:

True, and i'm probably coming across as a Karen over this, it's just frustrating. I just want to play good video games. And like Jedi Survivor, is easily game of the year even with the technical problems. If it just had the same level of technical polish as God of War Ragnarok, it would be. Granted that's not really fair cause Ragnarok was made with two consoles in mind.

Oh no don't get me wrong it loving sucks, especially since it's absolutely caused otherwise fine or even really good games to be ruined via first impressions for a lot of people. It's been a worrying trend in general and probably another indicator of serious issues with the pipeline for development of AAA games.

I also just don't envy devs for the flak they have to catch for a game they were more likely than not worked to the bone for it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Extremely weird
seems like a clear case of a founder not really being involved in the site, it's just money for them

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1653105354455252993?s=19

Oh no the light novel titles are coming to video games

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good lord that type arrangement

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

This offends me

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Weird game titles are back?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh good god no...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've seen longer.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Waffleman_ posted:

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mon-Yu? Mon Dieu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Someone make a video game spinoff of The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living And Became Mixed-Up Zombies