Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Southern Heel posted:

The parliamentarians rise! I decided to differentiate each of the English Civil War armies by choosing a discrete colour palette. The Royalists are all in yellow, red, burgundy, etc. and the Parliamentarians are all in shades of blue, white and black.

For giggles, I also used a purple hued contrast paid for their skin rather than the ruddy orange for the Royalists.

I like it. I have some cowboys to finish up for What a Cowboy, but after that I'm planning to decide on a time period and do a test unit of the Warlord Epic Pike and Shotte minis.

First Gang of Outlaws, next up I'm gonna work on some lawmen, and then maybe some particularly violent ranchhands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Oh are we posting tiny dudes?

I just did a test paint of some 10mm Britons for a Hail Caesar project I might work on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Starting to think about late Roman/ Byzantine armies for Saga. Not sure how to distinguish heavy cavalry from each period- invasions era late Rome has melee and cataphract cavalry, viking era thematic Byzantines have melee and bow cav, crusades era post Manzikert has just melee. Was thinking of doing lance cavalry for thematic Byzantines (since they have an ability named after the kontos spear) and maybe guys with maces/swords for crusades era, but those guys are usually pretty heavily armored and idk if that style continued into the twelfth century?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Count Thrashula posted:

What are the best solo friendly wargame rules out there? Things with randomized activation, no hidden info, etc.
From an activation perspective alone, TFL's Chain of Command and Sharp Practice are both fantastic for solo gameplay. Chain of Command is the only game I've ever played solo where I have been able to ambush myself and legit say, "Wow, I did NOT see that coming!"

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
How is What A Cowboy?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

spectralent posted:

How is What A Cowboy?

I'm gonna try to play it this coming weekend, I'll do a report after that.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Ilor posted:

From an activation perspective alone, TFL's Chain of Command and Sharp Practice are both fantastic for solo gameplay. Chain of Command is the only game I've ever played solo where I have been able to ambush myself and legit say, "Wow, I did NOT see that coming!"

How did you do that and how did the game do that.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Surprising yourself while playing solo is perfectly feasible so long as you're high/drunk enough to forget what you're doing between turns.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Comstar posted:

You can spend a CoC Point to perform the Ambush action, which lets you deploy a single infantry team 12" from a jump off point, which can be a surprising amount of distance for sure.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ilor posted:

Victory without Quarter has the same card based activation mechanic for pike and shot era and is free, just FYI

Count Thrashula posted:

Oh are we posting tiny dudes?

I just did a test paint of some 10mm Britons for a Hail Caesar project I might work on.

Also these are cool - 10mm is the perfect scale if you’re not pointedly going for small skirmishes

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Cassa posted:

You can spend a CoC Point to perform the Ambush action, which lets you deploy a single infantry team 12" from a jump off point, which can be a surprising amount of distance for sure.

Also you roll five dice to see what activations you get each phase. Rolls of 5 collect until you get the CoC dice that you can spend on doing special things, like an ambush.

So you could totally have a situation where you, during your German phase go ”I’ll just move my panther forwards, the Americans have only two coc points so I’m safe.Only for you as the american say, roll a double turn (double sixes) with lots of fives too, and then surprise yourself by being avle to launch a surprise offensive including an ambush by an AT team thay pops up in a hedge behind the panther.

It’s all on the random activation economy, you don’t get the same in a more chess-like igougo system.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 2, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

By the way, NavWar did finally write me a letter to tell me my payment information was not valid (after when I faxed it to them I was immediately the victim of a scam and then had to cancel my card, after which I faxed them saying 'please call me so I can give you payment information). Just lol, no.

Having sampled the Age of Battleships with Grand Fleets for the Russo-Japanese war and enjoyed it, I don't have any massive urge to replay the Battle of Ulsan again. The fleets as they are, are quite imbalanced and the game (like the real battle) is a bit of a foregone conclusion. One solution to this is to add another flotilla (i.e. another pair of battleships (Peresviet & Shikishima-class) and some destroyers) per side to bring the points up to the 'small-medium sized game' level, instead of below the 'very small' threshold.

It's either that, or I bring the timeline forward to WW1 and two new fleets. It'd be the same number of ships, but they higher costs (i.e. SMS Seydlitz (Battlecruiser) is 145pts vs IJN Asama (Armoured Cruiser) is 40pts. Though I would end up with another pair of similarly small fleets, they would at least be less of a glass hammer. I could also try another rule-set, if anyone has recommendations or suggestions? If we're looking at alternate rulesets I would be interested in something which doesn't track via rosters/unit cards - I think Fighting Sail manages everything through a couple of different token types, for example?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 2, 2023

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Historicals: The Americans have two CoC points

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Southern Heel posted:

Victory without Quarter has the same card based activation mechanic for pike and shot era and is free, just FYI

Holy crap, how did I not know about these rules?

Thank you.

Southern Heel posted:

By the way, NavWar did finally write me a letter to tell me my payment information was not valid (after when I faxed it to them I was immediately the victim of a scam and then had to cancel my card, after which I faxed them saying 'please call me so I can give you payment information). Just lol, no.

It's amazing how many wargame companies still live in 1978.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 2, 2023

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Need to make a scenario for What a Cowboy or LotOW where you have to race to save the telegraph lines from being cut by baddies because otherwise no one will be able to order new miniatures.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Cessna posted:

It's amazing how many wargame companies still live in 1978.

If there were websites in 1978, they'd all be Peter Pig's.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

C.f., The Miniatures Page.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The thing about Peter Pig is that they are super responsive and have photos of all their stuff on the site. It's easy to navigate, and the checkout process is sensibly outsourced to Romancart. I wish everyone was as good as Peter Pig.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The other bizarre thing is the website does get regular updates, for both pricing and new models. So presumably he just likes how it looks?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Heroics & Ros got a real nice new website not that long ago, but they still don't have pictures of all their toys up there. TBH I'd prefer the effort went into showing you what you were buying rather than flashy modern web design.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well chuffed that Tumbljng Dice are slowly adding pictures- you’re taking a chance on each model but in general you end up trumps. I also picked up two Napoleonic fleets for Fighting Sail because it “saved me (£3) postage in the long run…”

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH I'd prefer the effort went into showing you what you were buying rather than flashy modern web design.
I still prefer the old-rear end website parts to the mobile interface parts.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

I still prefer the old-rear end website parts to the mobile interface parts.

Ran into a website with a new feature I instantly loathed - it would not show anything apart from "you are offline" if it couldn't maintain a connection. Anything that was opened didn't cache and disappeared the moment the connection dropped.

A livestreamed shopping site.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

Heroics & Ros got a real nice new website not that long ago, but they still don't have pictures of all their toys up there. TBH I'd prefer the effort went into showing you what you were buying rather than flashy modern web design.

God, yeah, H&R are some of the worst offenders because some of their models are actually quite nice (if not GHQ quality), and others are formless lumps. There's no way to tell.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://www.peterpig.co.uk/pdf%20rules.html is the real highlight

they're a good company with good products!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

What's completely insane is I have 100% seen AK-47 republic out in the wild before. People are definitely already pirating it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

If they modernized their website that process could actually be automatic. All of the recent Pathfinder poo poo I ordered has my name and email on it, and frankly their webstore sucks rear end compared to many others.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

spectralent posted:

What's completely insane is I have 100% seen AK-47 republic out in the wild before. People are definitely already pirating it.
4chan's /tg/ unsurprisingly loves it and has been sharing phone cam pdfs or whatever forever.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Comstar posted:

Cassa and liljonas covered the basics, but I'll give you the longer version. I was playing a "Probe" scenario, where the attacking side's objective is to get a unit off the opponent's table edge. As the British, I had one section laying down a base of fire and one section working its way methodically along a wadi that provided some cover. There was a low ridge that ran across most of the center of the board, and with my third British section I decided to try for a mad dash over the ridge and across the maybe 20" of open ground to the German table edge. IIRC I also had a mortar barrage going as the Brits, so the German deployment options were somewhat limited. Anyway, I'm moving my 3rd British section forward at the run and I was very close to the objective. The next phase was a German phase (CoC doesn't always alternate sides, sometimes one player will get to go multiple times in a row, though usually able to activate less stuff when doing so), and when I rolled my Command Dice to generate activation resources for the German side, I rolled enough 5s to build up a a special resource that let the Germans perform an "Ambush" action (which in CoC allows you to deploy a team, fire with that team, and then return them to your reserves if you choose and if they're not using a crewed weapon like an AT gun). As the Germans, I happened to have an LMG team still in undeployed reserves, so as soon as I generated enough resources to do it, I deployed them and hosed the crap out of the Brits in the open making a dash for the baseline. Additionally, the extra deployment distance you get from an Ambush meant that I could deploy the German LMG team outside the barrage zone.

Before I rolled those Command Dice as the Germans, there was very little the Germans could have done to stop the mad British dash, but I got exactly what I needed to make the Ambush happen. So suddenly my stellar idea of using the mortar barrage on the center-left of the board to screen my troops making a bold move to the right turned into a nightmare poo poo-show where my 3rd British section got immediately lit-up by close-range LMG fire. In the open, with no cover in sight. IIRC, it was also a German double-phase, so I was able to subject those poor British bastards to several successive volleys of fire. Before they could respond, they had taken heavy casualties and were pinned. This prevented them from making any further advance, and they suffered more casualties, a wounded leader, and broke shortly thereafter.

I've played a lot of solo games of CoC (especially during the pandemic), and I am consistently impressed at how cool the game play experience is, even when you know what forces your "opponent" is bringing to the table. There are also home-brew add-ons in some of the Lard Annuals that add further randomization in supports, which adds even more uncertainty to solo play.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

moths posted:

If there were websites in 1978, they'd all be Peter Pig's.

I was reading through some PP rules today and was struck by how God awful the formatting is and how the scenario maps are... Hand drawn.

It's all so charming

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There is somehow something reassuring in all that lo-fi hobby space.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Just an incredible website to model quality ratio. I don't know who this Peter is, or how he manages to sculpt such nice figures with his little cloven hooves, but he's doing god's work no mistake.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you are playing Flames of War he does a beautiful little burnt out Universal Carrier with corpses in it that fits perfectly onto an objective base which I highly recommend. Also a set of British infantry having a tea break that'd do nicely as another objective.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Endman posted:

Just an incredible website to model quality ratio. I don't know who this Peter is, or how he manages to sculpt such nice figures with his little cloven hooves, but he's doing god's work no mistake.

I’ve painted Peter Pig’s 15mm samurai range and it is legit good and on a very nice balance between details and paintability.

E: ITT Pig Lovebombing

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm honestly impressed they taught a pig to script in HTML

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

peter pigs stuff is quite good and he runs a good, responsive business, and it's very funny to me that his website is so bad. it adds to the charm imo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I love when I buy a bunch of STLs I completely forget about, like nicely detailed 28mm French line infantry or an entire range of 15mm samurai

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Took my Britons out for a test drive against Anglo-Saxons tonight. It was a close game but didn't go well because Britons aren't exactly well suited to attack

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's awesome. What rules? Saga?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

I love when I buy a bunch of STLs I completely forget about, like nicely detailed 28mm French line infantry or an entire range of 15mm samurai

Are those samurai from Smol Miniatures? I've been thinking about getting some.