Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm just glad I've only got 20 left, though Cinder Surprise, Lancetfish, and Ealad Skaan are among them. The rest aren't nearly so bad. Also Dream Goby for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I felt my sanity slipping just getting that fish by Odin's rock for Feast or Famine. I caught the Nepto Dragon much more easily than that stupid thing. I can't fathom catching every fish.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

mikemil828 posted:

Since you are in Heavensward, if you haven't already, you might want to pick up Dark Knight. Just saying.

I did! And the first impression just reinforces my dislike of the Elezen :P

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
im FREE.

Ok EW now yeah?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ego Trip posted:

I'm in Shadowbringers. This does not stop.

The three constants in life are death, taxes, and Ishgard sucking.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sultan Tarquin posted:

im FREE.

Ok EW now yeah?

Congrats!

And yeah you'll want a head start on EW fish so you can be an early adopter in 6.5 when instead of adding a Bigger Fish title they add Nepto Dragon as a combined achievement mount.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

The three constants in life are death, taxes, and Ishgard sucking.

But…Ishgard Restoration is wholesome as hell.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was gonna say, if you are invested in making Ishgard not suck, go do your Firmament quests once it's open. then start shearing yaks

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Watching videos of the initial Ishgard restoration and I'm kinda sad I missed out on it cause it looks wild and the music is real loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12IzY4AcjIo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Firmament Fetes are a nice casual way to make some extra cash if you happen to catch them, too. You get 6-10 tokens per full set with all gold ratings, which is trivial to do, and you can buy the expensive metallic dyes like Gunmetal Black, Pearl White, and Metallic Brass for 4 per token. You also get about 500 Skybuilders' Scrip for doing a full set, which can be turned into more dyes or used to buy the various Firmament armor pieces, all of which usually sell pretty well.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Watching videos of the initial Ishgard restoration and I'm kinda sad I missed out on it cause it looks wild and the music is real loving good

It was a pretty fun idea conceptually, and I've always liked the slowly evolving settlements that they've done in previous expansions. I think they might've cooled to the idea of doing something similar again, though, both because it takes an insane amount of work, and because they ended up with some negative externalities (re: server hopping for construction milestones that crowded out residents, people missing out on the construction FATEs because they were at work, the leaderboards being almost completely dominated by people grinding themselves to death) that I don't think they fully figured out how to solve yet. It's definitely an idea I'd like to see revisited next expansion.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 1, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ishgard has three things working against it. It's the Obligatory Snow Zone, it's full of Fantasy Catholics, and it's full of elves.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

It was actually really fun and exciting to put rubble in wagons or whatever with everyone. Fixing things up, making the world a better place without fighting. To me it's the proper HW ending even though it came late. Kinda like Omicron are the EW ending

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've hit 40 in fishing and it's so much better than levelling any of the other crafting or gathering jobs. It's just... nice. It doesn't feel like a grind.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Yeah sometimes the events of the "Story" and the social elements of XIV clash pretty badly in HW.

I appreciate that StB integrated those elements of the game better in that the main hub is supposed to be where people from all stripes are supposed to mingle and the player-residential area is available near immediately.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Honestly, there's actual literal time travel technology in-universe now that doesn't gently caress up the aether like Alexander would have (Or maybe sending the Crystal Tower back in time did gently caress up the aether, but what's another doom in an already-doomed timeline?), we could reinstate the Ishgardian Restoration (Or even build up Mor Dhona or Idyllshire again?) and let newly-arriving WoLs participate.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dareon posted:

Honestly, there's actual literal time travel technology in-universe now that doesn't gently caress up the aether like Alexander would have (Or maybe sending the Crystal Tower back in time did gently caress up the aether, but what's another doom in an already-doomed timeline?), we could reinstate the Ishgardian Restoration (Or even build up Mor Dhona or Idyllshire again?) and let newly-arriving WoLs participate.

it was made pretty explicit that the crystal tower was a one time thing

also I dunno if "Hey new players here's a major spoiler for an expansion later on to serve as a narrative conceit so you can experience this thing you didn't know you missed out" plays, or if mechanically having a bunch of extra instances of these areas that are set to earlier versions is even viable or worth spending development time on, especially Mor Dhona were you'd have to have a bunch of extra versions of the whole region.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 1, 2023

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Blockhouse posted:

I'm remembering a Crystarium NPC or something who tells the WoL that residents were warned by the Exarch not to enter (or spend the night in?) the Crystal Tower because at any moment "it could forever vanish just as suddenly as it appeared"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

God Hole posted:

I'm remembering a Crystarium NPC or something who tells the WoL that residents were warned by the Exarch not to enter (or spend the night in?) the Crystal Tower because at any moment "it could forever vanish just as suddenly as it appeared"

I suspect this may be a euphemism for "there are tons of monsters in there," given the Twinning later on, and also I think there's an ShB hunt mark that's an escaped Allagan chimera? So maybe the time travel is unstable, but maybe the Exarch just doesn't want anyone stumbling into a cryochamber full of angry clones.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure it's 1) tower be full of monsters 2) don't want citizens going through all his stuff 3) the tower may or may not paradox out of existence when he prevents the Calamity

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I feel like that explanation would a bad deterrent. Maybe the tower will teleport somewhere that isn't doomed? Sign me up!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

God Hole posted:

Antivehicular posted:

I suspect this may be a euphemism for "there are tons of monsters in there," given the Twinning later on, and also I think there's an ShB hunt mark that's an escaped Allagan chimera? So maybe the time travel is unstable, but maybe the Exarch just doesn't want anyone stumbling into a cryochamber full of angry clones.

Nah, it was because G'raha was planning on absorbing all of the Lightwarden aether into himself and the Crystal Tower and then teleport both himself and the Tower into the Rift to get it off the First to stop the Rejoining. He didn't want anyone else to be taken along for the ride.

Dareon posted:

There's some side stories that detail extra stuff, and two of them cover that "doomed" timeline. The Crystal Tower leaving didn't gently caress up anything. In fact, it woke up Midgardsormr, and he takes the survivors under his wings, metaphorically, and helps them usher in a new Astral Age.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

YggiDee posted:

I figure it's 1) tower be full of monsters 2) don't want citizens going through all his stuff 3) the tower may or may not paradox out of existence when he prevents the Calamity

It was this. Some text at the end of 5.0 or start of 5.1 says G'raha was mildly surprised he and the Tower didn't get paradoxed out of existence when the plan actually succeeded without him dying.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Thundarr posted:

It was this. Some text at the end of 5.0 or start of 5.1 says G'raha was mildly surprised he and the Tower didn't get paradoxed out of existence when the plan actually succeeded without him dying.

That was a secondary concern, the primary was the plan about manually teleporting it and the Light aether away.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thundarr posted:

I'm just glad I've only got 20 left, though Cinder Surprise, Lancetfish, and Ealad Skaan are among them. The rest aren't nearly so bad. Also Dream Goby for some reason.

Lancet Jail nearly broke me. I had my moment of destiny when I was like 30 seconds away from Lancet window, a rando flies in, manages to double Mola right before Lancet window starts, then we both get Lancetfish literally the same cast as each other.

It was a proper old-school MMO bonding with a stranger who speaks a different language moment.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Blockhouse posted:

also I dunno if "Hey new players here's a major spoiler for an expansion later on to serve as a narrative conceit so you can experience this thing you didn't know you missed out" plays, or if mechanically having a bunch of extra instances of these areas that are set to earlier versions is even viable or worth spending development time on, especially Mor Dhona were you'd have to have a bunch of extra versions of the whole region.

Yeah, dev time's a factor, and it would be equally weird to put the time travel in Heavensward where it's a spoiler (And if you did the Alexander raids at level you were explicitly told how bad an idea time travel is), shoehorn it into post-ShB (A nearly? unprecedented addition to an older expac?) or add it to post-EW when most people have stopped caring about Ishgard.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Onean posted:

In fact, it woke up Midgardsormr, and he takes the survivors under his wings, metaphorically, and helps them usher in a new Astral Age.

it can be literally too.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Stormblood LP confronts it's greatest foe once and for all! Part 1 of 2! Read and comment while you wait for the last chapter of 4.0!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

stev posted:

I've hit 40 in fishing and it's so much better than levelling any of the other crafting or gathering jobs. It's just... nice. It doesn't feel like a grind.

you might say you got hooked

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Conclusion of 4.0, Stormblood LP Update Part 2 of 2, is here!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Thundarr posted:

I caught Magic Bucket twice. On purpose, even.

same. once for the minion once for the sick imprint it has

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hazardousmouse posted:

same. once for the minion once for the sick imprint it has

It's probably one of the rarest and most understated housing items.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1653414124188241923

I think the Tweet writer and video writer were different people and only one of them actually knew the character. "Liberation" is definitely the wrong word, it feels like they thought she was one of the revolutionaries rather than a secondary antagonist.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bruceski posted:

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1653414124188241923

I think the Tweet writer and video writer were different people and only one of them actually knew the character. "Liberation" is definitely the wrong word, it feels like they thought she was one of the revolutionaries rather than a secondary antagonist.

https://twitter.com/Actually_Tina/status/1653438463306526721?t=EbZVXRKpdpdf8jgr2XFhXA&s=19

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I nean she wanted her *people* liberated but she didn't give a poo poo about Ala Mhigo as a place and was fine with 'getting the Garlean good books.'

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think it's correct to say that Fordola desires the liberation of her homeland; she just has very different ideas about how she should be achieving this than the Warrior of Light, or, for that matter, most of the people who live in her homeland.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it feels like it's phrased to not give away her arc to the people who haven't played the expansion yet, like the rest of the tweets in the free expansion campaign

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm convinced it's a deliberate anti-spoiler and is very funny.

Boy are some people mad about it tho

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it's correct to say that Fordola desires the liberation of her homeland; she just has very different ideas about how she should be achieving this than the Warrior of Light, or, for that matter, most of the people who live in her homeland.

Yeah, that's the whole thrust of her arc: she thinks that resisting Garlean occupation is fruitless, and so the best way to achieve "liberation" is to prove yourself both loyal and invaluable enough to achieve self-governance.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Unfortunately for her outlook a player character enlisted with the other side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
"To her, no sacrifice is too great"

I mean, this isn't technically wrong even when we first meet her, but uh, i think people are going to be surprised what the sacrifices actually are