Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Turin Turambar posted:

Define 'inexpensive'. Because a decent modern gaming computer is going to be around $1500 at least. And how mini it has to be... there are some mini towers that aren't that bulky. Something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qecVXUe3xE4
?

I just built one of those, it's smaller than it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Excited to see how they somehow manage to make a less interesting gaming show than the ones they've done in the past.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
they should never ever show footage of someone walking around with a pair of goggles on their face if they want to sell vr or vr games yet they do it constantly

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i can almost place the galactus looking sillhouette in the upper right hand corner but not quite. kind of seems like a warhammer thing if i was guessing

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Parallelwoody posted:

What's the consensus must have accessories for a quest 2? I just bought a used one off ebay for like $170.

BoboVR M2 with the battery. Makes it an all-day wearable.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Al! posted:

i can almost place the galactus looking sillhouette in the upper right hand corner but not quite. kind of seems like a warhammer thing if i was guessing

Looks like Aku to me, lol.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my brain keeps wandering back to the villain from baldur's gate 1 but all my dreams about remaking the infinity engine games in vr cant be coming true

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Al! posted:

If one were to guess, when do you think we'll get word of the new Quest 3? At this gaming showcase?

*Nevermind, seeing blogs thinking that announcement would likely be at the Meta Connect in October.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al! posted:

I don't know about about the silhouette , but the helmet reminded me of Loki... which could point to Asgard's Wrath 2 being teased.

Which, I hope it will be much better than the first game. I didn't have a high opinion of it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Al! posted:

they should never ever show footage of someone walking around with a pair of goggles on their face if they want to sell vr or vr games yet they do it constantly

It'd be like selling a flat-screen action game by showing footage of a dead-eyed gamer just staring dumbly at the screen with their mouth open.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

San Andreas please

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Beastie posted:

San Andreas please

Would be nice to hear literally anything about this game!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Al! posted:

i actually do have a gaming laptop with a pretty good card that is theoretically vr ready in it (it can run cyberpunk at 1080 raytraced), the only problem is that it turns into an oven and slows down to a crawl after an hour or so. i guess i could cannabalize it for parts but i'm absolutely not confident in my ability to build computers

Hey!

What specs are the laptop? If you can raytrace cyberpunk @ 1080p than I'm going to assume laptop 2070 and up.

You don't have to cannibilize anything!

I think your laptop can run games without screaming, but it sounds like you're not super comfortable with getting technical, so if you're okay changing some settings in your BIOS and changing your power limit for your GPU in windows, that's everything!

Essentially you would make a change for your CPU in the BIOS, and a change for your GPU in a windows app.

Laptops are overbuilt, especially gaming ones, and if we undervolt the CPU (make it draw less power) and reduce the power ceiling for your GPU (same thing essentially) then I think you can play without your laptop fan turning into a jet engine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

forest spirit posted:

Hey!

What specs are the laptop? If you can raytrace cyberpunk @ 1080p than I'm going to assume laptop 2070 and up.

I think your laptop can run games without screaming, but it sounds like you're not super comfortable with getting technical, so if you're okay changing some settings in your BIOS and changing your power limit for your GPU in windows, that's everything!

Essentially you would make a change for your CPU in the BIOS, and a change for your GPU in a windows app.

Laptops are overbuilt, especially gaming ones, and if we undervolt the CPU (make it draw less power) and reduce the power ceiling for your GPU (same thing essentially) then I think you can play without your laptop fan turning into a jet engine.

Yeah, look into this, it's a Game Changer

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

forest spirit posted:

Hey!

cool! ill look into this. thanks to you and everyone else that helped

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

explosivo posted:

Would be nice to hear literally anything about this game!

If we don't hear anything about it I'm considering it abandoned.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i dont want to be iron man, i want to be CJ

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Nevermind implementing San Andreas the full game, make a texting-and-driving or drinking-and-driving simulator using San Andreas as the underlying engine :newlol:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Turin Turambar posted:

Define 'inexpensive'. Because a decent modern gaming computer is going to be around $1500 at least. And how mini it has to be... there are some mini towers that aren't that bulky. Something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qecVXUe3xE4
?

Chalets are tons of great sffpc axes they can hold and cool more hardware than I can afford to stick in them. Std cost more to build than regular. There are cereal box shapes, towers, shoeboxes.. lots of good options but some poo poo ones too. Best bet is picking ppls brains on a forum for it like r/sffpc

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Al! posted:

The helmet confirms this is Marvel related. It's Loki's helmet.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Is there some referral code poo poo I should do before setting up the quest or is that only for a new one?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Parallelwoody posted:

Is there some referral code poo poo I should do before setting up the quest or is that only for a new one?

Well, It is the first one for you? I think that's what matters.

Just in case, click here
https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/TurinTurambar/

If It doesn't work, you only lost 4 seconds of your time.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I have an oculus account which I think no longer is valid since they forced everyone to meta or whatever, but that was from the CV1. I'll give that a shot when it gets here later this week.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You can turn your Oculus account into a Meta account. I still have mine that I've had through the CV1 and Rift S. It carries over your old apps if you had any, but you can only use them through Airlink.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SteamVR data comes back to normal stats, after the Chinese data is also reverted back:

Also, new content for Pistol Whip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIkXw9_KQe0

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Impressive that the DK1 is still holding on

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Impressive that the DK1 is still holding on

It always surprises me how loyal are some HTC Vive users!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

It always surprises me how loyal are some HTC Vive users!

In some cases with some of my friends it's been a case of "It works fine and VR is expensive :shrug:".

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
That's where I'm at with my OG Vive. I tried getting a VP2 from eBay but one eye was busted so I had to return that, haven't felt like trying for a cheap one again since.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I had a drifty, noisy Quest 2 thumbstick and honestly breaking it down and cleaning the contacts - although not really designed for service - was not the WORST thing in the world. I’m totally whelmed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In some cases with some of my friends it's been a case of "It works fine and VR is expensive :shrug:".

That and it got a lot of handy add ons.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Meta has released a new free mp/social game thingie
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5756827011021749/

"Your space station on Mars is on the brink of collapse. Will you and your fellow players be able to save the station from mandatory evacuation? Or are you a mole working to take it down?

"Decommissioned: A VR Social Deduction Showcase" is a futuristic multiplayer gaming experience jam-packed with teamwork and betrayal. It's your job to figure out who within your group is actively sabotaging the game.

- Host up to 8 players
- Full support for both hand tracking and controllers
- Social presence with Meta Avatars

Decommissioned is an open source project for Meta Quest developers. Source code and assets can be found on GitHub at https://github.com/oculus-samples/Unity-Decommissioned"

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

What are the quest pro controllers like? What will the quest 3 have?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

forest spirit posted:

What are the quest pro controllers like?

What will the quest 3 have?

Tits

And

No idea, I don't think they've been brought up in any leaks.

Between the Index(4 stations), HP G2 and Quest 2, the Pro Controllers are much, much better for tracking and stability. Battery life is probably about 8 hours, at least two long sessions for me. If you leave your headset on they have a habit of not going to sleep unless docked, but I think they finally fixed that.

Problem is they are $300, so I doubled the cost of my Quest 2 just by buying them. Sold my old ones for $150 though when replacements were backed up at Meta.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bondematt posted:

Problem is they are $300, so I doubled the cost of my Quest 2 just by buying them. Sold my old ones for $150 though when replacements were backed up at Meta.

So the cost of any replacement set of controllers in the steamvr ecosystem?

If I used my quest more I'd probably have a pair. They sound amazing tbqh.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

EbolaIvory posted:

So the cost of any replacement set of controllers in the steamvr ecosystem?

If I used my quest more I'd probably have a pair. They sound amazing tbqh.

Yeah, they are definitely not a $tupid price, but still when my headset & controllers were only $300 new its a weird feeling buying a pair of controllers alone that cost the same amount.

They were 100% worth it to me though, I was getting so annoyed when grabbing things outside the Quest 2 camera view. Best is when my hand would come floating across the screen in something like H3VR.

Added stability is great too, makes sniping in anything much easier. No more ring either so I clunk them together less when reloading.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

"Your space station on Mars is on the brink of collapse. Will you and your fellow players be able to save the station from mandatory evacuation? Or are you a mole working to take it down?

"Decommissioned: A VR Social Deduction Showcase" is a futuristic multiplayer gaming experience jam-packed with teamwork and betrayal. It's your job to figure out who within your group is actively sabotaging the game.

- Host up to 8 players

Decommissioned is an open source project for Meta Quest developers. Source code and assets can be found on GitHub at https://github.com/oculus-samples/Unity-Decommissioned"

multiplayer games like this are always a great time. too bad everyone else playing them are tweens

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

- Host up to 8 players

So Among Us, only focused on doing tasks instead of committing cool sneaky murders, and very little actual chance to throw your friends under the bus with false accusations off the cuff. Bet that'll go over well.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

And I guess the cheapest place to get a pair of quest pro controllers would be Amazon warehouse or eBay? It's steep but I'm also debating the cost vs 2.0 trackers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
My quest pro controllers always seemed to stay in sleep mode despite the headset being powered off, and it drains the batteries quite quickly.

I found out that you can hold down the menu / oculus button on them until it vibrates, and that powers them off completely.