Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Big question at this point is did Lightfall suck because the rest of the saga is going to suck and that’s starting to show out, or did Lightfall suck just because they bolted it together from spare parts after reshuffling the story yet again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

sunday at work posted:

Big question at this point is did Lightfall suck because the rest of the saga is going to suck and that’s starting to show out, or did Lightfall suck just because they bolted it together from spare parts after reshuffling the story yet again?

Probably a little of both.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I don't feel like Plunder or Haunted were really popping off in the last few weeks of the season either. This is just your typical season-end doldrums.

sunday at work posted:

I feel like we'll have a better idea once TFS drops.

Like, it was quite a while ago that they announced that the they'd need one more expansion to finish out the saga, but I'm now a bit confused what it was that likely lead to that decision. I can't imagine TFS itself just needed more dev time, otherwise, why cook up LF? Storywise, right now LF feels a little bit like padding - maybe they need some time to build up the Witness' plan and motivations, which is something we'll see over the seasonal story stuff, and otherwise had they just gone right for what they wanted with TFS, it would have been worse pacing wise?

Like, Neomuna feels decent for a destination concept that it wasn't entirely half-assed, but I also don't imagine it was originally the TFS destination or intended for something else, opposite of how like we feel Strand was originally intended to be part of WQ"s campaign. On the other hand, Root of Nightmares feels a little underbaked as a raid destination. Like, it feels distinct from VoW, but comes closer to a retread then any other raid.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
A prominent Twitch and Youtube content creator that plays MMO's has recently gotten into Destiny 2, and it's about as disastrous as you can imagine a brand-new person playing this game for the very first time would experience with this game. :allears:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1796051723

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Jesus christ four hours of that VOD is just trying to solo Duality, fresh off of doing Shaw Han's chores. Incredible.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Heart of Inmost Light definitely falls into the category of “exotics that don’t feel like they do anything”. I’m sure if I ran numbers I’d see how much more damage I’m doing, but whenever I play with it I never feel like it changes anything. Loreley basically makes me unkillable, Doomfang’s changes my whole play style to throw shields and get super nonstop, and even Armamentarium makes me change my build to take advantage of it.

HoIL just feels like I should randomly cast my barricade more often so I can regen my other abilities slightly faster.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ptroll posted:

Jesus christ four hours of that VOD is just trying to solo Duality, fresh off of doing Shaw Han's chores. Incredible.

The game doesn't warn him not to do something stupid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They should definitely enable dungeon matchmaking

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Kith posted:

says a lot that the thread has kinda ground to a halt. sure do hope next season has its poo poo together

have to say I prefer this to Buffer Gay Dude-style pant-making GBS threads

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

have to say I prefer this to Buffer Gay Dude-style pant-making GBS threads

Dude, he's been gone or at least silent for like 2 months now.
Get over it, or find him and confess your love.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He was officially threadbanned :ssh:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Ya it’s bad rear end.

Anyway, I sort of like the quiet event-y ends of seasons, because it moves from everyone having to have the last word about whatever came out that week to people just relaxing, tinkering, checking any boxes they care about checking, and, maybe most crucially, playing other games.

obviously it’s not the sort of thing you want all the time, as D2Y1 proved, but it’s nice to have some ebb to go with your flow

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

sunday at work posted:

The Final Shape's story is going to be so bad and underwhelming, it'll make Mass Effect 3's ending look like Shakespeare.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Snuffman posted:

The Final Shape's story is going to be so bad and underwhelming, it'll make Mass Effect 3's ending look like Shakespeare.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

ptroll posted:

My seven-year-old loves playing Destiny, and he gives no shits about difficulty or intended light levels or whatever. He just does what looks interesting, drives around on his sparrow, compulsively inspects everyone he sees and tries to figure out how to get whatever cool gear they have, and maybe sometimes shoots things. The game gives him such minimal information about any of the stats or armor or weapons that whatever he's learned has been entirely accidental.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I mean they... fired a ton of the writers this year.

And they didn't hire new ones.

Destiny The Game is not a story-driven game. The non-game lore owns though, and it's a bummer they shuttered the Destiny Universe Transmedia office before producing anything :negative:

Derick Tsai's post-mortem provides an interesting glimpse into what Bungie has been up to the for past year, to be honest.

• Drove strategy & product roadmap for tentpole and transmedia executions to increase revenue and Destiny’s global audience reach.
• Brainstormed and developed ideas to expand Destiny into linear mediums (Animation, Film & TV, Books, Comics) and drive long-term engagement with new and existing fans.
• Generated clear and cogent verbal and written feedback on story materials in various phases of development and production.
• Scouted and identified emerging talent. Developed and maintained strong relationships with filmmakers, writers, and talent reps.
• Built relationships with major agencies, management companies, production companies and streamers for future Destiny projects.
• Served on Destiny story group to generate new ideas and to determine direction of IP.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I still consider the fact that Bungie shunting off a majority of the worldbuilding into ingame lore books to be one of the bigger wastes of the setting.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ptroll posted:

did he just mash escape out of all the stuff the game pushed him to do and the click on the first node he saw and just try to do it???

like you gotta go buy the WQ dungeon pass to even do Duality. Not that the on-boarding of the game isn't rear end, but a serial-MMO'er aught to know how to google basic stuff like "should I be doing this" or a streamer probably has a chat that can tell them "hey you probably shouldn't be soloing that just yet." This just sounds like some basic self-inflicted harm.

Like I guess bungie could throw a big warning sign on stuff that shouldn't be solo'd be new players but I feel like you'd still get players who cannot read, so the sign does not apply to them or get mad there's a sign at all

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He read nothing. They can work on the order you get quests sure but dude just assumed he can do a dunegon after playing for an hour. My MMO experience is limited but I don't think in most games you can do that within the first few moments of playing. He should know better.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ask your non-gamer friends or spouses to arrange the following in order of least to most difficult

Exotic Mission
Campaign
Strike
Nightfall
Raid
Dungeon
Battleground
Wellspring
Dares of Eternity
Nightmare Hunt
Empire Hunt

I'm not gonna fault somebody for launching the Wrong Activity after finishing the 20 minute 'welcome to destiny' onramp

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

there's literally the guardian ranks thing that tells you what to do next, it almost literally exists to order those activities in their difficulty order

Like, again, I think this games onboarding is rear end, but I think people would probably also get mad if it was more hand-holdy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's also light levels enforcing a certain amount of grinding between activity unlocks...

...if you're playing current content, which Duality isn't, so you can jump right in whenever, even though mechanically it's a challenging endgame activity

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yeah, if you’re not a reader or a thinker I could see looking at the number 1600 and going “oh, I can handle that.”

but also if you’re not a reader or a thinker you should probably become one so I don’t have to make excuses for you when you’re being comically stupid

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Oxyclean posted:

there's literally the guardian ranks thing that tells you what to do next, it almost literally exists to order those activities in their difficulty order

Like, again, I think this games onboarding is rear end, but I think people would probably also get mad if it was more hand-holdy.

Ah yes, the ranks system they just poo poo out their tertiary anal sphincter. Truly a pinnacle system from known good idea machine bungie. A system that you can't see what the requirements are for each rank unless you look them up out of game if you aren't working on that specific rank yet lol.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PathAsc posted:

Ah yes, the ranks system they just poo poo out their tertiary anal sphincter. Truly a pinnacle system from known good idea machine bungie. A system that you can't see what the requirements are for each rank unless you look them up out of game if you aren't working on that specific rank yet lol.

its still right there and says poo poo like "do a strike" like why would you need to know what later ranks are if you're new to the game?

Like, again, game bad at onboarding, but this is like deciding WoW is poo poo because you ran into Western Plague lands from the UD start and wondered why everything was kicking your rear end.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
(harnessing the Contrarian Energies of the internet to make people accidentally praise Guardian Ranks)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean, the 1-6 guardian rank stuff looks great as an introduction to the game? it's all the advanced rank stuff that idiots with 8000 hours of destiny like everyone in this thread including me get mad about

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Oxyclean posted:

its still right there and says poo poo like "do a strike" like why would you need to know what later ranks are if you're new to the game?

Like, again, game bad at onboarding, but this is like deciding WoW is poo poo because you ran into Western Plague lands from the UD start and wondered why everything was kicking your rear end.

Homie you just said the ranks system puts this poo poo in order like it's a good thing. Knowing what comes next in the difficulty scale is helpful for new players, but the system sucks rear end and hides it lol. The amount of info you absolutely cannot get in-game or even from bungie sites is astronomical. Even if you could, they're all written by tooltip guy it seems like anyway.

The game is poo poo for tons of reasons currently, and this is yet another glaring one. The funny part is that with WoW you had to run past mobs with ever scarier nameplates in an open world so it still gave you an idea that you were about to get trounced.

I'm sure it's ok, THIS game had a scarab lord help run it into the ground.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Up next is season of the garblarbler: au pair to the witness. Collect resonant silverware so that the garbwarbler cannot access them and teach the young disciples how to behave at a classy meal.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
New players should simply ignore the Director, Quests, Progress and Journey tabs so that they can focus on the Guardian Ranks and focus on those numbers going up (not the power level numbers, ignore those, they aren't related to newbie VS veteran content)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Intruding new weapon perk "kinda smites"

Gives an increasingly decreasing chance to damage vehicles when you have 3 or more greebles on your weapon shortly after readying your stowed weapon

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

New players should simply ignore the Director, Quests, Progress and Journey tabs so that they can focus on the Guardian Ranks and focus on those numbers going up (not the power level numbers, ignore those, they aren't related to newbie VS veteran content)

His whole thing with his “trying new MMOs” series is specifically going into new MMOs blind without chats help or looking things up online. It’s a test to see how new, unassuming players would experience an MMO and boy howdy does Bungie fail at this.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Due to an unforseen issue, all greebles are disabled and all weapons now use the khvostov model. No downtime expected.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ty!

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I mean, Spire is possible to do solo and with staring gear. It’s just going to require a lot if skill and patience on boss dps. But I would hope a new player should be smart enough to realize that if you’re doing it for hours and stuck on a boss that’s taking a lot of bullets to kill then maybe you should try something, anything else and come back to it later after getting better guns and some exotics to make a build

Edit: and I cannot stress enough that I think the best way to get into Destiny or any MMO is by going to an established guild or community or discord and just start asking questions and getting help from veterans

Edit 2:

FlapYoJacks posted:

He does eventually. The next VOD is VOG with a group of people who have never ran VOG. He has quite a bit of fun!

Perfectly illustrating my point right here

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 1, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

I mean, Spire is possible to do solo and with staring gear. It’s just going to require a lot if skill and patience on boss dps. But I would hope a new player should be smart enough to realize that if you’re doing it for hours and stuck on a boss that’s taking a lot of bullets to kill then maybe you should try something, anything else and come back to it later after getting better guns and some exotics to make a build

He does eventually. The next VOD is VOG with a group of people who have never ran VOG. He has quite a bit of fun!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

SgtSteel91 posted:

a new player should be smart enough

Think very carefully about what kind of person starts playing D2 in tyool 2023

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

PathAsc posted:

Due to an unforseen issue, all greebles are disabled and all weapons now use the khvostov model. No downtime expected.

|
|
|
|
Due to unexpected delays, server downtime has been extended to 8PM PST

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

sunday at work posted:

Hoping for the latter while expecting the former, I guess. I know Bungie has a lot of original IPs under development right now and they have Sonybux now but it seems incredibly stupid to be giving up on Destiny while it’s still a most-popular game on every platform it’s on and every expansion outsells the last one. They have me for TFS but if it’s not a significant improvement over Lightfall I think I’m out after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

The guardian ranks aren't helpful for teaching a new player a goddamn thing.
Any useful information that all of us in here have learned, came from either deep diving some reddit dude's spreadsheets, or having said spreadsheets summarized for us in discord by some other nerd who was willing to go into reddit.

New players will more than likely not think to do this, and bungie sure as hell isn't gonna explain things in a sensible manner any time soon.