Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How representative of the combat is this video? It looks super clunky and the environment doesn't look like it has any detail in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This is your friendly reminder to never preorder and especially never preorder if the publisher has aggressive review embargoes. Looks like the ACG review is already gone.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I would truly be surprised if people were mass pre-ordering Redfall for $70. Seems like drat near everybody is either confused about what it is or willing to try it on gamepass because it's going to be there and why not give it an hour or two.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I was going to give it a spin on Gamepass if it looked any good

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

I would truly be surprised if people were mass pre-ordering Redfall for $70. Seems like drat near everybody is either confused about what it is or willing to try it on gamepass because it's going to be there and why not give it an hour or two.

It seems right up there with Outer Worlds and Atomic Heart for "Totally worth playing for <= $10 on Gamepass, but absolutely lol @ buying it outright"

I just hope it's not miserable to play solo like Borderlands.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

How representative of the combat is this video? It looks super clunky and the environment doesn't look like it has any detail in it.

Entirely.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

PlushCow posted:

I don't understand this one either and I wish a new or remastered Battle for Middle Earth will get made.

I wish EA would do it, recently they been doing well with Dead Space, Mass Effect, Burnout and Command & Conquer remaster/remakes. Their LOTR games were amazing and those Battle for Middle Earth RTS games were so much fun. Of course they would have to pay for the license again so thats an issue.

Also on the Arkane talk, I really wish I liked Deathloop it definitely is one of those games I want to finish just to see how it ends but the AI is so goddam horrible in that game. Legit feels like fighting tutorial dummies.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The gollum game from how I understand it, is basically Thief but you play as Gollum.

Wasn't that basically that Styx the goblin game?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You're thinking of Stux the forums goblin

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

The AI basically just runs up to the minimum distance for their gun to fire and then stands there until you move. There doesn't seem to be any attempt for them to take cover or change position until you do. I was fighting a group that had two guys who make turrets and they both dropped their turrets directly next to each other and then they proceeded to stand in front of the turrets absorbing every shot.

edit: the vampire enemies actually move a bit on their own but it just amounts to them randomly teleporting and charging at you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm the vampire surrounded by orbiting blue forcefield walls that spin around so that anyone aiming at me has ample opportunity to get a clean shot off, also I don't know how to traverse through hallways.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Very tone deaf to make a game about killing vampires in the age of vampire survivors.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm the vampire surrounded by orbiting blue forcefield walls that spin around so that anyone aiming at me has ample opportunity to get a clean shot off, also I don't know how to traverse through hallways.

Hallways are for people that are not rich enough to turn themselves into a vampire. :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Deathloop was fun but there's deinitely a downward progression in Arkane games (and I'm saying that as someone who 100% Deathloop and played through Prey four times). I wish someone just reset the genre at the Deus Ex level. Bigger, wonkier immsims.

In an interview with one of the lead designers (I think?) for Deathloop, they discussed their design philosophy behind the game - It was all built with repetition in mind, because as that designer saw it, the most fun part of Immersive Sims was re-running a level for the 1000th time that you could do blindfolded, knowing where all of the enemies and geometry are and doing trick shots and parkour.

Those are the most fun videos to watch of people playing ImmSims, sure, but I doubt many players play them to that point of mastery. Speaking personally what I've always liked about ImmSims is the sense of exploration - environmental puzzles, finding a non-linear way from Point A to B, solving things in a way that works for me and for the situation, etc. So pretty much the exact opposite - they're fun the first one or two times through, and then quickly wear on me.

That quote signified a shift to me in Arkane's priorities towards developing games that are built around the concept of repetition rather than exploration and I think it's just going to be all downhill from here :sigh: It started with Mooncrash which was good, then Deathloop which was okay, and I think it's just going to shift more and more towards GaaS MMO-lites from here on out.

e: That being said Arkane is a cool dev and I hope they're able to hit their stride and find a fun way to do those kinds of games. I'd be fully on-board for another game with the structure of Mooncrash

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 1, 2023

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

This is how every combat encounter in Far Cry Redfall has played out for me so far. If there's a vampire you get to add two seconds of shooting it with the UV gun to petrify it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmG3xzlbH34

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phoix posted:

This is how every combat encounter in Far Cry Redfall has played out for me so far. If there's a vampire you get to add two seconds of shooting it with the UV gun to petrify it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmG3xzlbH34

Oh this game is going to be awful and I can't wait to play it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deathloop didn't have a single ImmSim element.
It was just Dishonored with most of the features ripped out and then hastily squeezed into a Majora's Mask format.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Thanks! :blessed:

Ulio posted:

I wish EA would do it, recently they been doing well with Dead Space, Mass Effect, Burnout and Command & Conquer remaster/remakes. Their LOTR games were amazing and those Battle for Middle Earth RTS games were so much fun. Of course they would have to pay for the license again so thats an issue.

Also on the Arkane talk, I really wish I liked Deathloop it definitely is one of those games I want to finish just to see how it ends but the AI is so goddam horrible in that game. Legit feels like fighting tutorial dummies.

Yeah I'd hope it has a chance, I don't think it would be too hard for EA to get a license out of Warner Bros in their current state.

Though it's not the same kind of game, the Total War Warhammer games are the only thing that have given me a good feel of battles similar to the BFME games. Units with weight, and Orcs, goblins, dragons, big monsters, and some crazy magic (though not as crazy as BFME sadly)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Deathloop didn't have a single ImmSim element.
It was just Dishonored with most of the features ripped out and then hastily squeezed into a Majora's Mask format.

Yeah, I guess that's why that quote stuck out to me - it felt like it missed the mark on what makes ImmSims fun. The designer was confusing "here's what the biggest fans of ImmSims like to do after playing for 1,000 hours" with "here are the good parts of ImmSims", and then they focused on category A at the expense of Category B, not realizing that Category B is what makes the games what they are in the first place.

And Redfall seems likes a further shift in that direction

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 1, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I watched the GDC talk where they explained their reasoning behind Mooncrash and Deathloop (before either was out at the time) and the core idea is very solid.

ImmSims are all about creative use and mastery of complex systems that can create emergent gameplay. Those qualities shine the most when the player has spent a good amount of time with game's mechanics and is able to use their real mechanical depth, but those games are expensive to make and most players only do one playthrough, which makes the development of these games super inefficient and that's why Arkane never makes any money.
Their solution was to design a game format that leveraged the best parts of those games AND made development more efficient by building a repeating structure into the core format of the game.

It's a sound idea.
Except they forgot to any of the actual ImmSim into Deathloop so you just follow the quest marker and press button to kill dude, because the game lacks any mechanics besides that.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Look, that’s just how the shield spell works, they’re old spells and the ancient vampires that invented them never accounted for someone having a gun that can fire between them. I’m sure that vampire is well aware of how stupid it is.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Jack Trades posted:

I watched the GDC talk where they explained their reasoning behind Mooncrash and Deathloop (before either was out at the time) and the core idea is very solid.

ImmSims are all about creative use and mastery of complex systems that can create emergent gameplay. Those qualities shine the most when the player has spent a good amount of time with game's mechanics and is able to use their real mechanical depth, but those games are expensive to make and most players only do one playthrough, which makes the development of these games super inefficient and that's why Arkane never makes any money.
Their solution was to design a game format that leveraged the best parts of those games AND made development more efficient by building a repeating structure into the core format of the game.

It's a sound idea.
Except they forgot to any of the actual ImmSim into Deathloop so you just follow the quest marker and press button to kill dude, because the game lacks any mechanics besides that.

I would argue that this isn't really a sound idea at all, although it's a perfectly cogent argument for why it's so rare to see good immersive sims from big studios anymore.

The reality is immersive sims being big, overambitious, and messy is what makes them appealing. The modern design focus on making things hyper focused and polished (which is basically what's being described here) pretty much kills the genre. Like the whole idea of trying to think of a more efficient way to develop an immersive sim feels like missing the point by a staggering degree, while also being totally understandable from a business perspective.

edit- Like this argument goes all the way back to Deus Ex, where you'd constantly get the "why make content that most players won't see?" -> "why are these games getting worse?" circular discussions.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mooncrash owns and is such a unique take on rougelites that ive yet to play anything else quite like it. I think I might like Mooncrash more than Prey, but that feeling goes back and forth

Deathloop was incredibly disappointing cause it appears that no one on that team was interested in taking any lessons from Mooncrash and expanding on them or even implementing them in any meaningful way

not really holding my breath for any future Arkane games tbh

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

what was that one small sim game where you can just simulate all sorts of goverment types

Orv
May 4, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

I would argue that this isn't really a sound idea at all, although it's a perfectly cogent argument for why it's so rare to see good immersive sims from big studios anymore.

The reality is immersive sims being big, overambitious, and messy is what makes them appealing. The modern design focus on making things hyper focused and polished (which is basically what's being described here) pretty much kills the genre. Like the whole idea of trying to think of a more efficient way to develop an immersive sim feels like missing the point by a staggering degree, while also being totally understandable from a business perspective.

edit- Like this argument goes all the way back to Deus Ex, where you'd constantly get the "why make content that most players won't see?" -> "why are these games getting worse?" circular discussions.

While it’s true that many classic immersive sims are kind of a mess, aside from extremely funny bugs or solutions stemming from that I don’t think I’ve ever valued them being a shitshow as a pillar of the genre. There’s a point where making immersive sims that don’t try to eat your computer or your brain is a good call and while Redfall sure as poo poo ain’t that I don’t think it’s somehow impossible to make one in the current environment.

It’s just hard to make them in general really, if that one from a few years ago now is any indication. Had some classic immersive sim names behind and it and was so terrible I don’t even remember the name.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Orv posted:

While it’s true that many classic immersive sims are kind of a mess, aside from extremely funny bugs or solutions stemming from that I don’t think I’ve ever valued them being a shitshow as a pillar of the genre. There’s a point where making immersive sims that don’t try to eat your computer or your brain is a good call and while Redfall sure as poo poo ain’t that I don’t think it’s somehow impossible to make one in the current environment.

It’s just hard to make them in general really, if that one from a few years ago now is any indication. Had some classic immersive sim names behind and it and was so terrible I don’t even remember the name.

I don't mean that immersive sims being lovely and buggy is what makes them good, I'm saying that the qualities that make them good tend to be the reason why they end up lovely and buggy. Like nothing is going to change either way because this argument has been going on for 20+ years at this point, I just tend to think that the impulse to make a leaner and meaner immersive sim tends to be doomed toward failure.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
If anyone is a fan of deckbuilders Luck Be a Landlord is on sale today. It's a deckbuilder where you add symbols to a slot machine you're spinning to try to make rent, and eventually you get to deal with your landlord (through the power of slots). It's not particularly hard if you lean into whatever deck synergies get handed to you but it is pretty addictive.

It was also in one of the big Itch.io bundles, if you got those.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Instead of awkwardly trying to force learned experience through repetition, maybe they should make these games better at teaching the player from the ground up and be more intuitive in general. But games as a whole continue to be dogshit at that so I'm not surprised they failed to land on that solution.

Also worth pointing out that we already have an immersive sim that relies on repetition and mastery - Hitman - and it handles those elements way, way more deftly. Namely, 90+% of the repetition is player-directed and optional.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

I don't mean that immersive sims being lovely and buggy is what makes them good, I'm saying that the qualities that make them good tend to be the reason why they end up lovely and buggy. Like nothing is going to change either way because this argument has been going on for 20+ years at this point, I just tend to think that the impulse to make a leaner and meaner immersive sim tends to be doomed toward failure.

Ah okay yeah I get you. I don’t agree with the final idea but I get where you’re coming from.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

bbcisdabomb posted:

If anyone is a fan of deckbuilders Luck Be a Landlord is on sale today. It's a deckbuilder where you add symbols to a slot machine you're spinning to try to make rent, and eventually you get to deal with your landlord (through the power of slots). It's not particularly hard if you lean into whatever deck synergies get handed to you but it is pretty addictive.

This is a very good roguelite if you enjoy the concept of choosing rewards to build powerful/synergistic/broken builds. It is the distilled essence of exactly that, and it's done well.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Phoix posted:

The AI basically just runs up to the minimum distance for their gun to fire and then stands there until you move. There doesn't seem to be any attempt for them to take cover or change position until you do. I was fighting a group that had two guys who make turrets and they both dropped their turrets directly next to each other and then they proceeded to stand in front of the turrets absorbing every shot.

edit: the vampire enemies actually move a bit on their own but it just amounts to them randomly teleporting and charging at you.

This game got delayed for like an entire year. What the gently caress were they doing the whole time?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Tiny Timbs posted:

You're thinking of Stux the forums goblin

:golfclap:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

bbcisdabomb posted:

This game is insanely good. Super casual feeling gameplay but the balance is absolutely on point.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
has anyone checked out Arto? it just showed up on my New & Trending list and the visual style looks neat if nothing else

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Sway Grunt posted:

It seems the additional game might be Dread Delusion, which makes me a lot more interested in this bundle. Although it looks pretty decent even without it I suppose.

Right you are as it just updated and turned out to be Dread Delusion. So once again, to sum it up:

New Humble Bundle out for Striking Soulslikes

$18 for
Sands of Aura
Loot River
Aeterna Noctis
Blade of Darkness
Mortal Shell
Salt and Sanctuary
Dread Delusion

There's also a decent one for coop shooters that's been going on as well.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone have any advice for getting through Chapter 4 of Loop Hero? I can't seem to strike a good balance between having too many monsters on the field & getting killed by attrition, and too few monsters & not getting enough gear to keep up with the loop level (usually ending in suicide-by-boss).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shadows of Doubt is basically the pure immsim experience complete with the bugs and jank that have been described. the game will not stop you from doing whatever the gently caress you want to get information and try to solve cases

Redfall is just vampire borderlands, and they claim it has immsim DNA because houses have both front and back doors you can enter

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Apparently this person is reputable for leaking Humble stuff. Pretty decent month if you don't have any of them. Everyone should play Spiritfarer.

https://twitter.com/billbil_kun/status/1653166847951249408?s=20

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

and there it is

PC Gamer posted:

After all the confusion over what it would be like to play, Redfall fails at not only being an immersive sim, but everything else, too. I'm a fan of Arkane because of its ambitiously creative and dynamic, systems-driven worlds, and Redfall disappoints in both categories.

Game Informer posted:

As a whole, Redfall’s gameplay is unbalanced. Several puzzling decisions, like a lack of stealth takedowns or the inability to pause the game in single-player mode, are far from what I’d expect from an Arkane game. Rampant technical issues hinder the brighter moments of the experience, including frequent server crashes, inputs failing to work, NPCs and enemies spawning duplicate versions of themselves, and one very frustrating bug which prevents me from closing the world map and main menu in cooperative play.

Dexterto posted:

Redfall is one of the worst-performing games I’ve played in years, and even when it’s working, it’s undercooked and uninspired. It’s impossible to say if this is the case, but Refall ‘feels’ like a game that has succumbed to too much compromise. There’s a world where there’s a great version of this concept, complete with a much grander vision, however, we sadly don’t live in that timeline.

ZTGD posted:

It just makes no sense that Microsoft promotes this game as this grand co-op experience but then put in place every system known to man to hinder that process or make it harder than necessary; no quick match in a multiplayer game in 2023 is ridiculous.

GamesRadar posted:

Redfall is ultimately not up to Arkane's usual standards. It feels rushed, unfinished, and unsatisfying to play.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jack Trades posted:

It's a sound idea.
it does have a bunch of stealth and distraction mechanics, and you can set up some elaborate kill-zone traps, but none of it matters or asks you to engage with it because you move and kill like a Quake character and the most dangerous opponent outside of the instant-death pits is essentially a mirror-match that doesn't have your extra lives.