Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I like it was suggested that billionaires should hold the families of their security forces hostage to keep them in line as if they wouldn’t turn on you the second they could do so safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Every billionaire driving to the airport with their bug out bag in tow is going to arrive to find their pilots flew off in the jets with their own families.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

sullat posted:

Your expensive horse cavalry which is now eating horsemeat because you can't get enough fodder in the Himalayas

That's why you use them.

Can't eat a tank.

Tom Guycot posted:

Every billionaire driving to the airport with their bug out bag in tow is going to arrive to find their pilots flew off in the jets with their own families.

With the standard of living these people expect they need an entire world to support it. Better off not chucking everything into the bin in the first place.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

:slime: Mud-pdate :slime:

A break in the rain and sunny, warm weather will lead to rapid decline in soil moisture in southeast Ukraine over the coming week, likely marking the end of mud season. If weather truly is truly the only thing holding up the predicted counteroffensive, we should expect it any day. Regionally, models predict that soil moisture in the critical upper 40cm will drop from nearly saturated to around 60% by this weekend:

Sunday, April 30 (the marker is in Orikhiv, a front line town on the road to Melitopol):

Saturday, May 6:

It's worth stressing that these are models and not measurements. The actual trafficability of the soil requires on-the-ground geotechnical work; see this helpful treatise by the US Army Engineer School which I somehow only found today: https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/5-430-00-1/CH7.htm. Any goons feel like some field work?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

til bono draws atlantic cover fanart

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Found this interesting, foreign journalist visiting the front from the Russian side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkl--zh80Sw (in Russian)

There's some footage where they do a tour of some Russian trenches and fortifications, intertwined with generic discussions about why they went to the front.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ardennes posted:

I like it was suggested that billionaires should hold the families of their security forces hostage to keep them in line as if they wouldn’t turn on you the second they could do so safely.

the statue avi guys seem to not like reading the part of roman history where the rich fancy bois like them basically served at the leisure of their mercenaries

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Imagine that scene from Elysium where Kruger kills Jodie Foster's politician character in a flash when she reprimands him.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder what sort of brain genius it takes to not realise the spec ops ninjas you're hiring to be your security won't have any idea how to get past stuff like "security collars" and "only I know the combination to the pantry". One's a professional psycho with skills in enhanced interrogation and the other is a pudgy sociopath.

First rule of feudalism: men with swords never starve

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hopefully Putin intervenes in the UK election and protects Rishi.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

EFB^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't think they've thought that far ahead. IMO the ruling class appears to have completely internalized the propaganda that everything will be fine and actually the oil companies are going to save the world.

Mark Blythe talks to a lot of pretty rich and powerful people and he says none of them have plans beyond 2 weeks from now, let alone 2 months.

not every billionaire can just relocate because it depends on what their wealth is based on.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/WithinSyriaBlog/status/1652984178613403648

DIY decoys for the 21st century

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
could probably pass for an Orlan. Hard to imagine it flies hundreds of mph though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Surprised they've got wheels, implies that some of them make it back to get reused. Otherwise you'd just have skids or even a little carriage that detaches when they lift off.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

This is what 4 million of patriot missile gets you.

Shooting down a crash test dummy Mary Poppins.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DancingShade posted:

This is what 4 million of patriot missile gets you.

Shooting down a crash test dummy Mary Poppins.

ok youve convinced me. im going to stop paying my taxes

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Surprised they've got wheels, implies that some of them make it back to get reused. Otherwise you'd just have skids or even a little carriage that detaches when they lift off.

bike wheels are probably cheap enough for them to not care, also they don’t have to worry about some launch dolly breaking

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Maybe the wheels are for "assemble from the trunk on the field, launch in the wild" thing.

Those giant wheels make it look like an Alaska bush plane.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zodium posted:

nothing is the great filter. the great filter is a dumb idea an economist came up with in 1996

Space is just incomprehensibly big

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
:siren: https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1653183607534505989?s=46&t=-cIUPxFTj7QRhKH3oB_EQw :siren:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

mlmp08 posted:

could probably pass for an Orlan. Hard to imagine it flies hundreds of mph though.

Ukraine's most effective anti-air gunner took down 15 of these decoys with $100k laser guided MANPAD missiles.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it would be very nice if US & their allies further destroyed their economies by neoliberally trying to arm themselves

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

where do i sign up to 5th column for the ROC.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Truga posted:

it would be very nice if US & their allies further destroyed their economies by neoliberally trying to arm themselves

Opening Google Maps.

That wouldn't be very nice at all!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Azerbaijan did the same thing to distract and bait Armenia's AA systems in 2020.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Isentropy posted:

yeah they buy the international community line without realizing that they'll never be part of the international community.

VS Naipaul said it best: beware those who want to be white

Oh most indians posting on leddit know that already. they think they can sell off both kidneys and migrate to canada with the money.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Frosted Flake posted:

First rule of feudalism: men with swords never starve

Second rule of feudalism: You have to be so what nice to those you rule over

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

So I better buy a graphics card and whatever other PC parts I need before that kicks off.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

OhFunny posted:

Azerbaijan did the same thing to distract and bait Armenia's AA systems in 2020.

lmao if AFU spends more money on ammo than RFU when its over

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Palladium posted:

lmao if AFU spends more money on ammo than RFU when its over

This would imply AFU pays for its ammo itself…

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

So I better buy a graphics card and whatever other PC parts I need before that kicks off.

Civilization collapse because the yacht club wants more yachts is good actually

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Raw Sale RTS

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Relax there won't be a war. China only has to sit in place while the US economy shrinks and eventually the fleet rusts. Think years, decades, not next week.

The US certainly wants a war for domestic reasons, sure. Wants and gets though?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Relax there won't be a war. China only has to sit in place while the US economy shrinks and eventually the fleet rusts. Think years, decades, not next week.

The US certainly wants a war for domestic reasons, sure. Wants and gets though?

china knows that all it has to do is put its own ships out in its own territorial waters to accellerate the collapse of the us by another week. cheapest use of a naval fleet you can imagine

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

If NYT start posting this poo poo then I think the Biden admin is trying to cut Ukraine loose.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

:rip: freedom of the press in Sweden. A map from the Pentagon leak has now been withheld by the public broadcaster SVT because their lawyers fear they may run afoul of the new law that criminalizes journalism that can damage relations with other countries if they publish the map.

quote:

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/svt-stoppar-publicering-pa-grund-av-spionerilag

SVT (Swedish Public Television) stops publication due to espionage laws

For the first time, SVT has chosen to stop a publication with reference to the new law on foreign espionage.

Last autumn, the new law on foreign espionage was adopted, which means that it is a criminal offense to provide information that could damage Sweden's relationship with other states or organizations such as NATO, the UN and the EU.

And now, for the first time, SVT has stopped a publication with reference to the legislation, which the programme Medierna on the P1 radio channel was the first to report on. It is about map images from the Pentagon leak that would show vulnerabilities in the Ukrainian energy supply. SVT wanted to publish the images to explain what the leak was about.

But that will not be the case.

"After looking at that material together with the lawyers, their assessment was actually that this is material that could be covered by the new espionage law", says Charlotta Friborg, publisher in charge at SVT.

"Very worrying"

Already last year, publishers warned of what the law could mean for journalistic reviews.

"It risks creating huge uncertainties because it is so unclear" says Charlotta Friborg.

"I think it is very worrying that the legislators did not listen to this serious criticism."

Previously, in 2022:
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1594760417997623298

Caption: two tiny tyrants talking totalitarianism

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My sister took a Russian passport because you've got to have one to have gas/electricity/etc in the part of Ukraine she's in (Russia owns it now) and the US Immigrations agency just denied her "United for Ukraine" humanitarian parole because according to them she's not a Ukrainian anymore and it's not available to Russian citizens.

I argued with the agent, and then the agent's supervisor, that they're basically saying that the conquered regions of Ukraine, and the people living there, are now Russian. They just started repeating bureaucrat speak for: "sucks to be you, stop talking to me".

And the Ukrainian embassy told me on the phone, and email, that people in occupied areas will not have their citizenship verified.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Nix Panicus posted:

Space is just incomprehensibly big

So's yo momma! :hehe:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sum posted:

:slime: Mud-pdate :slime:

A break in the rain and sunny, warm weather will lead to rapid decline in soil moisture in southeast Ukraine over the coming week, likely marking the end of mud season. If weather truly is truly the only thing holding up the predicted counteroffensive, we should expect it any day. Regionally, models predict that soil moisture in the critical upper 40cm will drop from nearly saturated to around 60% by this weekend:

Sunday, April 30 (the marker is in Orikhiv, a front line town on the road to Melitopol):

Saturday, May 6:

It's worth stressing that these are models and not measurements. The actual trafficability of the soil requires on-the-ground geotechnical work; see this helpful treatise by the US Army Engineer School which I somehow only found today: https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/5-430-00-1/CH7.htm. Any goons feel like some field work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

My sister took a Russian passport because you've got to have one to have gas/electricity/etc in the part of Ukraine she's in (Russia owns it now) and the US Immigrations agency just denied her "United for Ukraine" humanitarian parole because according to them she's not a Ukrainian anymore and it's not available to Russian citizens.

I argued with the agent, and then the agent's supervisor, that they're basically saying that the conquered regions of Ukraine, and the people living there, are now Russian. They just started repeating bureaucrat speak for: "sucks to be you, stop talking to me".

And the Ukrainian embassy told me on the phone, and email, that people in occupied areas will not have their citizenship verified.

Well yeah that's all Russia now. She's Russian. You're probably Russian too now because it transmits by contact. Congrats.