Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah the fact its all so routine for everyone is a big part of Hades charm for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I discovered this random lord name in Total Warhammer 3

That has to be a reference

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I love Warhammer’s names. One of your event quests has you destroy an orc rebellion lead by Sportacus.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

There's undead pirates with names like "Dick Half-Mast" and "Tiny Tim Bootycatcher"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Are there funny Lizardmen names like in olden times, too? Itzi-Bitzi, Teeni-Wheeni, etc.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Philippe posted:

Are there funny Lizardmen names like in olden times, too? Itzi-Bitzi, Teeni-Wheeni, etc.

Yeah, and Yello-Pokada'at-Bhakeeni.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Philippe posted:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I would prefer not to

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
There's some kind of joke here about arachnophobes being terrified of Eurojank RPGs. :haw:

goblin week posted:

it is an amplypygi!!

:blastu: for tricking me into googling this!

I am so, so upset this won't be coming to Sony consoles. :argh:

Philippe posted:

I don't mind sp00ders in general, but the frostbite spiders in Skyrim freaked me out. It's the mouthparts.

Same! Smaller spiders, or spiders in games that aren't in first-person/over the shoulder don't bother me, but as soon as a game puts me eye-to-eyes with a giant spider, I freak the gently caress out, and it's definitely the mouths. :stare: As well as the whole (censored for -phobics) "You know, if spiders in real life grew to be truck-sized, they would ABSOLUTELY eat us" thing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Tiny jumping spiders are downright cute even!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nope. gently caress all spiders. Big ones, small ones, some the size of your head. Kill them all. With fire preferably.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As I've talked about before...somewhere, maybe ITT, Earth Defense Force 4.1 has it both ways - adorable jumping spiders, albeit gigantic ones that don't faze me at all, and spindly legged bastards that are the worst enemy in the game and induce a bit of discomfort. For me spindly legs are what really get me noping out, outside of a general dislike of IRL creepy crawlies.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I adore spiders... except for one.

Spoilered for spider stuff: I don't know what it's called, I only know it when I see it. It's super black, like it doesn't reflect any light at all except for a single bead of perfect white light that shifts around on its weird body. It always looks wet. It's fast and is really long -- like, its front four legs stick way out in front and its back four legs way out in back, and they are long legs, and it moves fuckin fast, too fast to get a grip on the surface. So it's constantly just moving, moving, moving and scrambling and constantly shifts between moving clumsily and moving super fast and with hyper agility. I love spiders but gently caress THAT ONE

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are actually 3 spiders in EDF 4.1- basic hairy spiders the size of a truck, spindly spiders the size of a train car, and basic hairy spiders the size of a building (that only show up in maybe 3 levels)

vvvvvvv I don't think it's literally the same mesh file but it's the same general body type of spider

haveblue has a new favorite as of 23:13 on May 1, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well, third is same model/same type of spider as the first, innit?

Though as I've also said before, another thing that does legit get me sometimes in EDF is the buzz of the giant wasp enemies. Usually either the air is filled with the noise of giant alien bugs or I'm too far away, but when the conditions are just right that buzzing is also not something I enjoy. The actual sight of them, nah, they're big ridiculous alien bugs, no problem there, just the noise.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

g i a n t i n s e c t s

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Do people who can't handle video game spiders get freaked out by squids and octopuses as well?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Several other games of "tiny thing in human-sized world" have done this before (Pikmin, Chibi-Robo, etc) but I love how the NPCs in Tinykin give these dramatic, mysterious names to common household objects. :allears:

Opopanax posted:

Do people who can't handle video game spiders get freaked out by squids and octopuses as well?

I'm ten times more freaked out by those things than I am spiders, but I think it's a thalassophobia thing more so than the critters themselves. Like, just seeing a video of a squid is whatever, but a giant squid enemy in Subnautica (aka "you are now in this thing's food chain") or whatever would be terrifying. On the other hand, the suckers on octopus tentacles make me supremely uncomfortable, even on nigiri sushi and poo poo like that.

I will take any of these things over scorpions, however. THOSE are my "oh no no no gently caress NO I literally can't look at the screen" critter. ....Fallout 3/New Vegas were terrifying for these enemies alone!

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 00:41 on May 2, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Opopanax posted:

depends, am I staring one down the size of a football that's at the aquarium, or am I seeing the faint outline of its enormous shapeless mass looming in a distance simultaneously too close for comfort and impossibly far away?

because I like the aquariums

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Octos and squids are great, I think I'd rather face a kraken than a regular tarantula

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

EDIT: thinking about this some more, it ties into another little thing I like about the game's writing: Zagreus (the protagonist) is both nice and polite to everyone in the game, friend and foe alike, with the sole exception of his father. When Hypnos gives him inane suggestions, he responds with a genuine-sounding "Thanks!" If a boss starts yammering about how they're going to spill his blood, about the worst he gets is a tired-sounding "look I've already beaten you who knows how many times, what makes you think this one will go any differently?" Zagreus is a ray of sunshine in a grim environment.
Zagreus's unfailing politeness and stellar ability to give genuine and thoughtful compliments were some of my favourite parts of playing Hades. It turns out what I want in a video game protagonist is an honestly pleasant individual with the capacity for exceptional amounts of violence.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Outer Wilds is a scary, scary game for people who don't like a large variety of things and I went into it thinking it would be cute because it features a cute alien in a wooden spaceship exploring tiny planets. But noooo, horrifying. Some day I will finish it.

Edit: whoops double post

Solenna has a new favorite as of 11:14 on May 2, 2023

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In Jedi Survivor, there's a Gonk droid in the saloon bathroom painted to look like a bathroom attendant

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I appreciate how many gonk droids they scattered around the world in that game. I like the one that's hanging upside down by its feet in one of the narrow loading corridors, fruitlessly gonking away.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gonk

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gonk

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Gonk

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gonkgonk

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Gonk with the badonk-a-gonk.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Octos and squids are great, I think I'd rather face a kraken than a regular tarantula

Same, but mostly because one's way less common. Last time I fought a kraken-type monster was DQ11.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Solenna posted:

Zagreus's unfailing politeness and stellar ability to give genuine and thoughtful compliments were some of my favourite parts of playing Hades. It turns out what I want in a video game protagonist is an honestly pleasant individual with the capacity for exceptional amounts of violence.

This is probably why people like Kazama Kiryu so much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agents are GO! posted:

The Gonk with the badonk-a-gonk.

Two smaller Gonk bodies welded in parallel to the lower rear of a full-size one's body.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:doink:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

RareAcumen posted:

Same, but mostly because one's way less common. Last time I fought a kraken-type monster was DQ11.

you can fix that, y'know.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Opopanax posted:

Blue whales give me huge phobia. Something about them being so big in a place so vast and so dark terrifies me.

And of course octopuses because they're objectively terrifying in their schemes we all know they're up to!

edit: "give me huge phobia" sounds like a real silly phrase, haha. But you know what I mean. I used to play around with the Nvidia photo mode thing in The Witcher 3 and I discovered that at any given time there was a GIGANTIC WHALE just under the surface of the water. It made Witcher 3 loving awful to play around Skellige where at ANY GODDAMN TIME I might accidentally find myself in the ocean and thus also next to an undersea horror

credburn has a new favorite as of 09:08 on May 2, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Would it help if they put in an even larger creature, so the whale seems small in comparison? And then maybe only having that mega creature in one, way off the beaten path, never got a good reason to go there, location?

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Thalassophobia slider that lowers the water level

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Endless Ocean memories, heh heh. Yeah, the whales can be downright scary even when harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Jedi Survivor: you can change the angles of the side beams on the Crossguard saber. I don’t know why this makes me happy, but it does.