Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Biodome posted:

Shopping for a home EVSE charging station, I have an EV6 but it looks like the Tesla one is the most recommended. Anything annoying about it besides having to use an adapter to charge? Or anyone got any Non-tesla recommendations for a home charging station?

You wouldn’t need an adapter unless you bought the Tesla-connector version. The J1772 version costs a bit more though, so I don’t know if the value proposition is consistent with the higher price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Biodome posted:

Shopping for a home EVSE charging station, I have an EV6 but it looks like the Tesla one is the most recommended. Anything annoying about it besides having to use an adapter to charge? Or anyone got any Non-tesla recommendations for a home charging station?

If you're talking about the wall-mounted one, you don't even need an adapter anymore.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tesla-wall-connector-j1772-hardwired-electric-vehicle-ev-charger-up-to-48a-24-black/6527755.p?skuId=6527755

I've never used one with the J1772 end, so I can't comment on whether it's any good. I have the one with the Tesla end, and it's been going strong for 4 years now. About half the time we use a TeslaTap on it, for the Bolt.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Biodome posted:

The Emporia EVSE is relatively inexpensive, has an easy to use app for setting up when you want things to charge etc, can be either hard wired (safer option and gives more amperage) or plugged in. The only downside of the unit is that it's build in holster for the charging connector sucks as it sticks straight up, so I recommend also buying this charging holster as well.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I recommend also buying this charging holster as well.

There are dozens of printable J1772 holsters you can download. Here's one. If you have a 3D printer or know someone with a 3D printer, you can pretty much shop for something that's exactly what you want. Just remember to print in PETG or some other material that can handle being outdoors!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I bought a Juixebox for my EV6 and it “works” and “suits my needs” but the entire app is garbage and how it works is dumb as poo poo but hey it doesn’t need a hardwire connection and charges my car super fast AND I got on sale so if you see one for a deep discount maybe go for it?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The Emporia EVSE is relatively inexpensive, has an easy to use app for setting up when you want things to charge etc, can be either hard wired (safer option and gives more amperage) or plugged in. The only downside of the unit is that it's build in holster for the charging connector sucks as it sticks straight up, so I recommend also buying this charging holster as well.

This one looks good and our energy company will cover half the cost of purchase and installation so I'm getting it, thanks!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Biodome posted:

This one looks good and our energy company will cover half the cost of purchase and installation so I'm getting it, thanks!

Be sure you put that thing on your guest wireless network. I'd be willing to wager it gets precisely zero firmware updates, and you don't want the People's Liberation Army to establish a foothold on your home network.

e: This goes for any EVSE, by the way, and any solar inverter or other doodad that wants on your wireless network. Maybe Emporia is better than others, but it has no need to contact all your computers: it just needs to send some stuff to their servers so you can see it when your connect to their servers with your phone.

ee: I mean, I *assume* it works that way. Maybe it wants you to connect directly to it with your phone, in which case you ought to be able to tell your router to not let it out to the Internet at all, if your router lets you do that.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 1, 2023

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I bought a Juixebox for my EV6 and it “works” and “suits my needs” but the entire app is garbage and how it works is dumb as poo poo but hey it doesn’t need a hardwire connection and charges my car super fast AND I got on sale so if you see one for a deep discount maybe go for it?

I ordered a Chargepoint Home Flex, which I've read is comparable to the Juicebox but with a much better app. We'll see! I have an electrician coming out later this week to install it. 110v charging sucks.

New tiny annoyance from the Ioniq 6: The doors have auto-unlock when you walk up to the car, which is nice. However, there is no option to lock the doors when you walk away.

So I never have to take the keyfob out of my pocket... until I'm done driving and want to walk away from the car. No idea why Hyundai made it this way. Just lock the doors if the keyfob gets 20+ feet away! You're already scanning for that for the auto-unlock anyway!

Overall I love driving it though. I tried the smart cruise control and highway lane assist on the way home from getting it registered. 50mph highway with a few stoplights, light traffic on a sunny day. For about 15 miles I never had to touch the brake or accelerator, and only had to correct the steering at one point where there's a weird split into an exit-only lane. Tried the one-pedal driving, didn't love it, but I'll try it again when I'm not still learning the other driving assist features.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Think I'm gonna put a deposit down on an EV9.. I am like the car version of johnny appleseed, just putting down deposits all over.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

Think I'm gonna put a deposit down on an EV9.. I am like the car version of johnny appleseed, just putting down deposits all over.

One day one of those deposits will grow into a full car, which you can harvest for fruit that can be made into booze!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The EV9 looks pretty cool but I'm gonna wanna see a configurator before I do anything

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

The EV9 looks pretty cool but I'm gonna wanna see a configurator before I do anything

Yeah I'm a bit leery too especially if it is just a barer-bones launch model that would be available.. refundable deposit at least..

cruft posted:

One day one of those deposits will grow into a full car, which you can harvest for fruit that can be made into booze!

With the kia ADAS it is legal to drink and drive*!

*it is not

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cruft posted:

Be sure you put that thing on your guest wireless network. I'd be willing to wager it gets precisely zero firmware updates, and you don't want the People's Liberation Army to establish a foothold on your home network.

Counterpoint: anything to help the Communist takeover of the collapsing imperialist empire of America should be done.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

priznat posted:

This is how I felt around this time last year! It's like watching the world's slowest shittiest race.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Elviscat posted:

This is how I felt around this time last year! It's like watching the world's slowest shittiest race.

What did you end up getting (if anything yet)?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

priznat posted:

Yeah I'm a bit leery too especially if it is just a barer-bones launch model that would be available.. refundable deposit at least..

I feel like the tendency is to launch with a fairly high trim / low powertrain version so the OEM can actually make money, and then introduce the actual bare bones launch model stuff later.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
the main reason I'd consider an EV is the fuel efficiency but all the cars seem like they're expensive in comparison to their dinosaur burning counterparts? I don't drive much so I just want something safe for the kids. I was looking at the Solterra that might one day be available to buy but I don't know why I wouldn't just get an XV for half the price considering I buy fuel maybe once a fortnight in my 2001 holden commodore v6 station wagon that guzzles that poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

the main reason I'd consider an EV is the fuel efficiency but all the cars seem like they're expensive in comparison to their dinosaur burning counterparts? I don't drive much so I just want something safe for the kids. I was looking at the Solterra that might one day be available to buy but I don't know why I wouldn't just get an XV for half the price considering I buy fuel maybe once a fortnight in my 2001 holden commodore v6 station wagon that guzzles that poo poo.
You come out ahead on the fuel cost over time but it does take a considerable while. Also less maintenance, assuming you don't run into some Musk Quality.

A day will come when you're paying a premium for an ICE car, but it's probably not in the next couple of years.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

priznat posted:

What did you end up getting (if anything yet)?

I put a deposit on a Bolt and a Mach-e, got the Bolt because of Ford model/option fuckery.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks like chuckanut drive

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I put a deposit on a Bolt and a Mach-e, got the Bolt because of Ford model/option fuckery.

:toot:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I feel like the tendency is to launch with a fairly high trim / low powertrain version so the OEM can actually make money, and then introduce the actual bare bones launch model stuff later.

For some reason I thought the EV6 launched with the “wind” and then added gt line but perhaps I am misremembering. I want the fancy bells and whistles model! Not a GT type though I think that would be silly on an ev9. The sx+ equivalent

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bolt EUV costs the same as a Toyota Camry, without even considering around $10k in federal/local rebates plus free EV Level 2 home charger installation, or that your power company is likely to slash your electric bill.

Which is probably why Chevy is going to discontinue the line since it's clearly too good for what you pay and it isn't a truck.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Chronojam posted:

Bolt EUV costs the same as a Toyota Camry, without even considering around $10k in federal/local rebates plus free EV Level 2 home charger installation, or that your power company is likely to slash your electric bill.

Which is probably why Chevy is going to discontinue the line since it's clearly too good for what you pay and it isn't a truck.

It never made it to Australia!

I'm seeing some pretty decently priced hybrids yaris/corolla cross out there so I've got them on a list to consider. I think EVs probably just need a bit more time to mature, particularly in Australia and I should probably just buy a couple of 2nd hand cars for the next few years. Our car situation at home is pretty dire otherwise I'd just keep delaying.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
With the questions about evse recommendations I looked up the cost of the Siemens versicharger that I bought in 2018 for like $595 and holy hell it’s over $1k for the exact same 30a wall charger :wtc:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Emporia ones have gone on sale a bunch of times lately and are reasonably good

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Chronojam posted:

What do you want them to do, upgrade the battery and the fast charging system, refresh the exterior and make it an actual Model 3 competitor?

They already fixed the interior and battery issues, it's time for GM to kill it, obviously.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Current Fuel Cell Vehicle status: It's coming up on 10PM and I'm in line at the one working hydrogen pump in town. There are 12, maybe 14 cars in front of me. Might get home by 1 if I'm lucky, but it's more likely this station breaks down before I can fill up.

Don't lease a fuel cell vehicle.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah unfortunately that is a fairly predictable outcome of owning a hydrogen car. Idk what the use case even is anymore when there is widespread fast EV charging in your area, which there is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol aliexpress does what Tesla don't

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004997028240.html

Just $100 too, Elmo is really pinching every penny there. There's one for the rear too

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005401739595.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It never made it to Australia!

I'm seeing some pretty decently priced hybrids yaris/corolla cross out there so I've got them on a list to consider. I think EVs probably just need a bit more time to mature, particularly in Australia and I should probably just buy a couple of 2nd hand cars for the next few years. Our car situation at home is pretty dire otherwise I'd just keep delaying.

If you don’t drive that much, it’s hard to get either an EV or a hybrid to pay off compared to buying a used gas car.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you don’t drive that much, it’s hard to get either an EV or a hybrid to pay off compared to buying a used gas car.

Yep, that seems like a rational conclusion. I think a car that's done 50k kms from 2018/19 might be a good pickup while this EV poo poo gets sorted out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

Current Fuel Cell Vehicle status: It's coming up on 10PM and I'm in line at the one working hydrogen pump in town. There are 12, maybe 14 cars in front of me. Might get home by 1 if I'm lucky, but it's more likely this station breaks down before I can fill up.

Don't lease a fuel cell vehicle.

Toyota needs you now more than ever

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Elviscat posted:

What do you want them to do, upgrade the battery and the fast charging system, refresh the exterior and make it an actual Model 3 competitor?

They already fixed the interior and battery issues, it's time for GM to kill it, obviously.
Seeing American automakers go mostly-in on EVs is already enough work for a year; I'm not surprised they're immediately rushing to make everything a god drat truck the moment they can.

Isn't there some favorable tax structure behind that?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yes. EV trucks get a higher MSRP to still qualify for the tax rebate.

Also the last 20 years of advertising big trucks has just generally destroyed the US sedan segment to the point that it will take another 10 years to reverse the trend.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Speleothing posted:

Yes. EV trucks get a higher MSRP to still qualify for the tax rebate.

Also the last 20 years of advertising big trucks has just generally destroyed the US sedan segment to the point that it will take another 10 years to reverse the trend.

Pickups aren't what killed the sedan in the US. Its crossovers and more specifically compact crossovers.

Its also not going back to the way it was

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol aliexpress does what Tesla don't

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004997028240.html

Just $100 too, Elmo is really pinching every penny there. There's one for the rear too

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005401739595.html

I don't know why tesla doesn't put in any HUDs in their cars if they want a minimalist look. Seems like that would be right up Elon's alley for tech gadgetry.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kill me now posted:

Pickups aren't what killed the sedan in the US. Its crossovers and more specifically compact crossovers.

Its also not going back to the way it was

especially with EVs there are basically no disadvantages to a more crossover-y form factor since you're already lugging around a huge tub of lard car anyway. more upright seating, better space utilization, some ground clearance for atrocious roads. sedan is just a style preference at this point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

especially with EVs there are basically no disadvantages to a more crossover-y form factor since you're already lugging around a huge tub of lard car anyway. more upright seating, better space utilization, some ground clearance for atrocious roads. sedan is just a style preference at this point.

Larger frontal area = higher drag = lower ranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Larger frontal area = higher drag = lower ranger

it's pretty marginal, the Model 3 Performance vs the Model Y Performance gets you a whole 12 more miles

the frontal area also isn't that much bigger because EVs have substantial center of mass bulk due to the battery that pushes the floor up and therefore pretty much everything else. it's why the nominal sedan P2 looks a hell of a lot like a crossover or one of those dumb coupe SUVs in profile