Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

antipattern posted:

Lmao and this thing is supposed to take people to the moon in a few years. I'll be surprised if they manage to do it this decade.

A few years? This thing was supposed to land on the moon last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

within eyeshot, including the device I’m typing on, I can see 7 devices with computing power that dwarfs the computers used for the Apollo program that put men on the moon.

would have thought that this stuff was, while still full of inherent risks, a solved problem by now.

Yeah, NASA knows how and does rockets on the reg.
But what if I made money doing it? And if the government paid me to rediscover the technology like I'm a technomancer searching for the losTech from the dark age of mankind

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

within eyeshot, including the device I’m typing on, I can see 7 devices with computing power that dwarfs the computers used for the Apollo program that put men on the moon.

would have thought that this stuff was, while still full of inherent risks, a solved problem by now.

Modern computing power is all in service of micro transactions though.

Purchase some oxygen, 6 hour supply $1.99. Also available as a $19.95 monthly subscription, or subscribe annually and get 12 months of life for the price of 11 at $210!!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

quote:

I tested this to make certain in heavy rain yesterday during an hour long trip. I left the wipers completely off and the headlights in manual mode, there was little to no visibility out of the windshield for my own eyes, and the car continued full autopilot functions at 75mph with no change in performance, and no messages to turn on wipers/limit speed due to visibility/ etc

wish i didn't have to share the road with beta testing sickos, especially with my kids in the back seat

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Computers were only one part of the whole thing. You also need exceeding smart, fit, and well-trained crew (astronauts and other crew), and some insanely high-level manufacturing and engineering at all levels. And everything has to be checked and re-checked rigorously to ensure there are no fuckups, including having all of your staff not doing insane hours (so longer timelines all around). Your super-powerful computer doesn't do poo poo when the guy doing a 30-hour shift at SpaceX doesn't put the panel on flush, which it needs to be so it stays together when it's shooting out into space. Or when the whole project is being headed by an insane egomaniac who can't be overridden and demands marketability above all else.

NASA leveraged their computers very well (because calculations have to be very accurately timed when you're traveling at literal miles per second) but a lot of that was because their programs weren't doing anything that demanding in modern terms, and a lot of NASA's programming was very bureaucratic and meeting-oriented (the programmers would hash out precisely what needed to happen and how in multiple meetings before actually writing any code), specifically because it needed to not only run correctly but run the same way every time (exact same delays in code execution etc.). It's also a bit weird for them because modern processors, due to having a lot more transistors jammed into the CPU die, make them potentially too sensitive/unpredictable for operating in space/exposed to things like solar radiation.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stereotype posted:

some solid evidence that we are doomed as a species is that when told about the huge number of problems directly caused by cars the only solutions anyone seems to be able to imagine are "electric cars" or "cars that can drive themselves poorly"

This is off topic doomerism. This thread is about Elon Musk, who is ftw.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

univbee posted:

, due to having a lot more transistors jammed into the CPU die, make them potentially too sensitive/unpredictable for operating in space/exposed to things like solar radiation.

I thought it was because you basically can't cool anything in space, so anything that's powerful will simply overheat when operating in a vacuum

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

This video goes through the starship launch and all the poo poo it hosed up thoroughly - you can see all the large chunks of concrete raining down all over the place from the wide shots.

https://youtu.be/ErDuVomNd9M

RFC
Nov 3, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

prior to musk taking over, it looks like Twitter was refusing to fully comply with ~50% of all law enforcement requests. now it's down to like 16%

https://twitter.com/restofworld/status/1653067278315921409
Not because it's become a right-wing poo poo hole and everybody's getting reported to the feds?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought it was because you basically can't cool anything in space, so anything that's powerful will simply overheat when operating in a vacuum

Could be. Could also be a combo.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

webcams for christ posted:

prior to musk taking over, it looks like Twitter was refusing to fully comply with ~50% of all law enforcement requests. now it's down to like 16%

https://twitter.com/restofworld/status/1653067278315921409

complying with government requests is totally anti-establishment, ACTUALLY

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

dying in a house fire because driverless cars blockaded the fire truck from getting to me
https://twitter.com/MLNow/status/1653035058096398342?s=20

Good thing the car was white or it might have been in real danger.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

rage against the machine was about fighting the machine (AI) not politics

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

spanky the dolphin posted:

This video goes through the starship launch and all the poo poo it hosed up thoroughly - you can see all the large chunks of concrete raining down all over the place from the wide shots.

they sprayed champagne for this

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

They saw the future!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Imagine volunteering to be a human passenger on a budget rocket.

The US is absolutely reinvent sentencing people to transport by 2030, aren't we?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the lyrics imply that there are some that work forces, that arent the same that burn crosses. just some bad apples

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
not all of those that work forces etc.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So now this raises a question: did the self-destruct actually work to begin with or is it just one of the damaged engines finally caught the fuel storage on fire and blew up the rocket and SpaceX is going “It just took 40 seconds longer, that’s all!”

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

given past iterations of this stupid water tower, it's safe to assume that nothing works and it was destined to explode so the autodestruct didn't work and it probably exploded at the time it was going to explode anyway

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

rockets are supposed to explode get over it

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

given past iterations of this stupid water tower, it's safe to assume that nothing works and it was destined to explode so the autodestruct didn't work and it probably exploded at the time it was going to explode anyway
'autodestruct' button on a musk rocket like the 'close door' button on an elevator

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

take_it_slow posted:

'autodestruct' button on a musk rocket like the 'close door' button on an elevator

its a gacha game, every switch and button has a %0.42069 chance of creating an epic explosion

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

ikanreed posted:

Imagine volunteering to be a human passenger on a budget rocket.

The US is absolutely reinvent sentencing people to transport by 2030, aren't we?

The only way this is technically feasible is if "transportation" means 'being exploded in an attempted rocket launch'. There will be no destination even really begun to be constructed by 2030.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
one of the I think mercury? astronauts responded, when asked what was going through their mind during the count down to ignition, that they were sitting in the seat built but the lowest bidder

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it's funny this was one day before Big Rocket Explosion Day

Ardship of Cambry posted:

I don't want to write off better acess to space becuause some Boer rear end in a top hat made it one of his soapboxes

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the only thing SpaceX has gotten right is the Starlink ISP service and that stuff is halfassed at best.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rynn posted:

someone in some Telsa stock pumping/circle jerk Twitter space said today that Robotaxis will absolutely be a thing in 5-12 months. And of course you need to buy stock now

I’m convinced, brb selling my house and living in my car

I don't know which is funnier, the automation shills who have been consistently saying 'It's 5-10 years away!" for the past 10 years, or the ones who have kept to that time table and now say it's coming this year or has been around for years, but regulations are stifling it.

coconono posted:

the only thing SpaceX has gotten right is the Starlink ISP service and that stuff is halfassed at best.
SpaceX has been great at funneling government funds into Musk's wallet.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

spanky the dolphin posted:

Wait, if I understand correctly (at the 9 minute mark) , the plan to separate Starship from the booster was basically doing a loop-de-loop at mach+ speed and have the stress from the maneuver break the two apart?

I'm not a rocket scientist, but intuitively I would assume that's not particularly controlled and uh, the g-forces would probably kill any potential crew.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

coconono posted:

The one friend I have who's family subscribed to it over their objections noted it was basically unusable at most times, so uh... "right" is dubious in all cases with Starlink.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

mcbexx posted:

Wait, if I understand correctly (at the 9 minute mark) , the plan to separate Starship from the booster was basically doing a loop-de-loop at mach+ speed and have the stress from the maneuver break the two apart?

I'm not a rocket scientist, but intuitively I would assume that's not particularly controlled and uh, the g-forces would probably kill any potential crew.

you won’t care

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
im rishhhhh beeeeshhhh

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

some of those that wear Mod stars
are the same that burn crosses

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

mcbexx posted:

Elon Musk is pulling sick handbrake drift cornering in a rocket and you all mock him for it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Their honest to god plan is just “make it do some flips and poo poo so the force makes the rocket separate” as if normal launches aren’t brutal on a human body already. Love to scramble the brains of astronauts in my lovely rocket, pure market disruption!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

coconono posted:

lol no

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
it's garbage op

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mcbexx posted:

No, the plan is doing a loop-de-loop at mach+ speed and have the stress from the maneuver plus the second stage rocket boosters break the two apart.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

starlink is good, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

so how many endangered birds has this cretin turned into hamburger meat after all these rocket "launches"? isn't there a turtle nesting beach next to the launch pad too? lmao

he really is a poo poo (i hate him)