Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

looking through his channel and honestly besides the history channel videos a lot of his older stuff doesn't interest me either, but holy poo poo he's been on this nickelodeon recap bit for two years. It gets views but, I think he could've accomplished that in less than dozens of hours of what's apparently just droning summaries

e: bernievidz did a decent video on the entirety of beavis & butthead and it's "only" 48 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
JayExci's 5+ hour video on the first two seasons of Chibnall's Doctor Who is an example of how you can do a very long but still well-structures video on a chunk of TV.

KittenJucerSupreme posted:

I have friends who argued in favor of the 9 hour ones because they can listen to them in the background while doing other things but I don't think that encourages me that its actually riveting and insightful analysis about Sam and Cat, and I think this length can only equal a lot of padding for like the sake of performance art, yeah.

Edit: Didn't he start making these so long because the algorithm used to favor watch time and by extension longer videos? Isn't this really belated clickbait, essentially?

In one of the videos he explicitly ends it by padding it out to hit a 5 or 8 or whatever hour runtime, and the whole thing starts off with an extended spiel about how far he'll go for a joke sometimes.

The iCarly videos flow better because he's familiar with the shows and can synthesise and arrange his arguments based on theme and character. By Victorious he's basically watching them, writing up his notes, and then doing a chunk of analysis at the end of each block so you get large slabs of mostly summary. There is genuinely creative stuff in there though; he recreates an unaired pilot using the script and production photos and some basic animation and VA work which is pretty impressive.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I brought up the Jon Bois analysis of 24 in TVIV the other day and it seems like the better way to handle it. Link if you've never seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

I understand enjoying background noise, some people wanting long videos and the urge to just put it all out there unfiltered, but at some point you're just blatantly using filler. Clean it up, make your point and move on to another topic.

If you just want to make hours of content then streaming or blind let's plays are right there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Quinton is one of the few long-winded Youtube people who I completely bounced off of even just as mindless background noise. Not only does he have nothing interesting to say, he can't even manage to be interesting in the way he says the things he does. It's just dull, dry white guy voice reading off a script, like I'm back listening to the early episodes of History of Rome except it's an episode-by-episode plot synopsis of iCarly and it never gets better.

He appears to have a successful patreon though so I guess he's doing something right.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

haha what posted:

i didnt even know youtube video timestamps rolled over into days, jesus christ

Wow thanks for posting this because I originally read that as 1 hour 4 minutes 22 seconds. Good golly.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sydin posted:

Speaking of listening to long-rear end videos as background noise I finally finished up Noah's video on his roadtrip of the Lincoln Highway. A very good watch, although I don't quite share Noah's clear love of Americana. I do think it's interesting to hear and examine, and to his credit Noah does not paper over any of the extremely hosed up aspects or history of the project or the country and people who built it.

I’m still only halfway through it, but I keep going back to it. Noah is wonderful.

On that note…

https://twitter.com/MrGervaisWrites/status/1653180218583154689?s=20

gently caress yes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the quinton sr video is intended to be a troll/joke video, it's just that it missed its target of april fools day by a wide berth. so there's just gonna be a 38 hour video posted on his youtube channel at some point this summer without any context lol

e: I guess he could always hold on to it until next April

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

JayExci's 5+ hour video on

😴

No YouTube video should be 5+ hours long unless it's like a traffic camera live stream or a "noise to help you sleep" video.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

on long videos, i watched hbomberguy's myst video and it was good. he also suggested maybe doing a video on myst clones and I think that'd be fun. he should try Amerzone, the Myst-like game Beniot Sokal designed before the Syberia series. also, all the Dark Fall games, which are about as spooky as an episode of Goosebumps but still trashy fun

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
By refusing to "harsh the vibes" by seriously discussing and addressing the abusive and predatory conditions under which the Schneider sitcoms were produced, Quinton's Reviews amount to nothing more than an additional round of child exploitation.

The videos mine the source sitcoms - sitcoms that are byproducts of child exploitation before they are anything else - for content in a parasitic way. It's below bottom-feeding.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

By refusing to "harsh the vibes" by seriously discussing and addressing the abusive and predatory conditions under which the Schneider sitcoms were produced, Quinton's Reviews amount to nothing more than an additional round of child exploitation.
no I don't think I'll follow you this far down the road

online creators thread go one week without a really weird post challenge

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

😴

No YouTube video should be 5+ hours long unless it's like a traffic camera live stream or a "noise to help you sleep" video.

the patrician reviews of the elder scrolls games (and also the jwlar videos on other elder scrolls games) are about 5 hours and are worth it, but they're fuckin exhaustive as poo poo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

im going to summarize every single episode of this show made for children

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

summarize The Brothers Flub

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you fiend!!!

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Some men just want to watch the world's vibes harshed. :coolspot:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The 7th Guest posted:

the quinton sr video is intended to be a troll/joke video, it's just that it missed its target of april fools day by a wide berth. so there's just gonna be a 38 hour video posted on his youtube channel at some point this summer without any context lol

It's not a good joke when it's indistinguishable from his normal out put except it's longer but only like...because the shows covered are longer and not because of the bit. And it's not really a joke because he viewers are watching it as seen up thread.

Like the bit would to be upload 36 hours of nothing but instead he just did the same poo poo he normally does.

Basically this is a dumb attempt at a cop out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not a good joke when it's indistinguishable from his normal out put except it's longer but only like...because the shows covered are longer and not because of the bit. And it's not really a joke because he viewers are watching it as seen up thread.

Like the bit would to be upload 36 hours of nothing but instead he just did the same poo poo he normally does.

Basically this is a dumb attempt at a cop out.
i think it would have possibly succeeded if it actually ran on april 1, especially if it ran in place of the sam & cat finale ("here's the video you guys have been waiting for for nearly a year!"), because that's a typical april 1st internet prank. but for some reason he wanted to finish the sam & cat video first. so. woops!!

i'd also argue that talking about the beverly hillbillies for 38 hours IS 38 hours of nothing lol

it's almost an andy kaufman level of anti-entertainment. except people have the power to click away or just not click play. whoever does watch all the way through might get cursed like The Ring

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

JayExci's 5+ hour video on the first two seasons of Chibnall's Doctor Who is an example of how you can do a very long but still well-structures video on a chunk of TV.

Aside from my kneejerk reaction against anything that loving long, Jay's adjacency to the Mauler crew is what gives me pause. On the other hand she seems to be cool with Jack Saint so :shrug:

Also she had a 75 minute+ rebuttal ('rebuttal'?) to Patrick Willems' 13 minute video on plot holes and what are we even doing

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pachylad posted:

Aside from my kneejerk reaction against anything that loving long, Jay's adjacency to the Mauler crew is what gives me pause. On the other hand she seems to be cool with Jack Saint so :shrug:
Yeah I dunno. I haven't seen her say anything objectionable and that long critique of the Chibnall era contains none of the usual chuddy criticisms so maybe she just has poor taste in friends?

The Doctor Who video is good because it will actually skip over stuff and when it will drill in deep. The first episode gets a lot of focus (because it's emblematic of a lot of the issues) but some later ones are basically unmentioned and there isn't an attempt made to summarise everything that happens.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Jenny Nicholson's Vampire Diaries video is probably the most masterful Long rear end Youtube Recap video, it helps that the franchise is significantly more insane than the Lestat/Twilight ripoff that you would assume it is and that Jenny goes into all the behind the scenes drama. I wouldn't go as far as to call it child exploitation but the Schneiderverse videos not going into that at all does bring up the question on what they have over an insomniac binging of the iCarly wiki.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pachylad posted:

Jay's adjacency to the Mauler crew is what gives me pause.

lol please tell me she was not on EFAP.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

nine-gear crow posted:

😴

Noah Caldwell-Gervais gets a pass because he's usually covering an entire game series and the full runtime is an examination of the context, mechanics, and themes with no filler

Tim Rogers similarly gets a pass, the videos aren't quite as information dense but he's more of an entertaining weirdo.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

SkeletonHero posted:

I remember this well. Before he turned into Adventure Sonic he also became Super Sonic, then Hyper Sonic, and then started turning into all kinds of wild variants like Solar Sonic and Eco Sonic. I remember it fondly because it hit at the exact right time in my adolescence for me to spend almost an entire summer just drawing various elemental versions of Sonic. Looking back, I think this was a really good speedrunning glitch that let me save frames and skip a potential Sonic OC phase.

wait I think I remember that, didn't he strap a giant chaos emerald on his back and was told to just race across the planet like Superman

I even remember a Polar Sonic in that mess

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Sydin posted:

Close enough for me to have that aforementioned pause at least:

https://twitter.com/JayExci/status/1191649742943600640

https://twitter.com/JayExci/status/1191652793792290821

Unsurprisingly lotsa people clowned her in the replies in that first tweet reply to Jenny.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

She is MauLer and Rags' designated trans heat shield, yes. Not only is she on EFAP, she's on EFAP a loving lot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ Yeah that's gonna be a yikes from me. :yikes:

My favorite response to Mauler's nonsense was when somebody on twitter pointed out the 11 part video series responding to the DS2 video to hbomb, his response was "I'm not watching all that but I'm sorry it happened" and Mauler immediately showed up in the mentions calling hbomb unprofessional for not wanting to engage with good faith criticism.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I just simply will not watch the 38 hour long video, myself.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

She is MauLer and Rags' designated trans heat shield, yes. Not only is she on EFAP, she's on EFAP a loving lot.

Does MauLer possess any sort of qualification that could lead anyone to think that yes, their criticism should be taken to heart?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Does MauLer possess any sort of qualification that could lead anyone to think that yes, their criticism should be taken to heart?

lmao

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Action Button reviews that are 5+ hours are good, but even then I preferred the earlier more concise videos.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

What kind of name is efap? Sounds like a weird sex show.
Jenny seems cool, I'll just keep watching her, thanks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

B33rChiller posted:

What kind of name is efap? Sounds like a weird sex show.
Jenny seems cool, I'll just keep watching her, thanks.

It's literally just a group of chuds circlejerking each other for like 8 hours every day on the internet, a literal E-Fap if you will, so the name is entirely on point, yes.

Dawgstar posted:

He's able to talk for like 11 hours straight without ever stopping to pee and sounds British so people think he must be smart or something. Like how people used to think Sargon of Akkad was some kind of thought leader until he definitely proved himself to be an illiterate imbecile.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Saagonsa posted:

I just simply will not watch the 38 hour long video, myself.

KittenJucerSupreme
Feb 12, 2023

by the sex ghost
To hand it to Mauler, at least his angry 9 hour series on why FromSoft game Dark Souls 2 is actually bad (nearly 5 times longer than the video its responding to, saying FromSoft game Dark Souls 2 is good) is at least broken up into hour long chunk videos instead of one insanely long one. Quinton can learn from the 25 hour podcast objectivist guy here.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Pachylad posted:

Also she had a 75 minute+ rebuttal ('rebuttal'?) to Patrick Willems' 13 minute video on plot holes and what are we even doing

So much of that long Doctor Who video is just listing off a whole bunch of narrative contrivances that don't end the episodes right there with the characters Acting Logical (as opposed to the many legitimate grievances one could have with the Chibnall years) that a long rebuttal against Willems going "guys, plot holes don't matter" just makes sense.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Anyone know any cool music documentary YouTubers I’ve maybe missed?

I really like the KJ Oasis documentary; I wish there were more videos that go that into depth for other Creation records bands.

I’ve like a lot of the Trash Theory docs, specially the one the on The KLF they did recently was fascinating. Especially because it ends with mentioning that they finally like released all their music for the first time in 20 years or so on the web:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWn3QygKFwo

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I had to look up at the e-fap website and, lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

I had to look up at the e-fap website and, lmfao

Hangin' out for 30 hours straight with all my Nazi, Furry, and Nazi Furry friends talking about how Captain Marvel shrunk my pee pee or whatever.