Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't substantiate this at all but I feel like most children of pro athletes end up smaller than their fathers. Like it's always linebacker -> corner/safety and not the other way around.

They need more Amazonian mothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Isn’t Marvin Harrison Jr a bigger guy?

I mean it has a lot to do with their maternal genetics too.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Just gonna assume he named his kid after a highway.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Just gonna assume he named his kid after a highway.

The highway where he keeps his billboards

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't substantiate this at all but I feel like most children of pro athletes end up smaller than their fathers. Like it's always linebacker -> corner/safety and not the other way around.

Cameron Jordan's dad is Steve Jordan, a TE for Minnesota on the 80's.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

The most hosed up part of this to me is that Notre Dame has cool uniforms

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

The highway where he keeps his billboards

So when does Tristate Urlacher get to college?

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

This Image Created With Blingee

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

So when does Tristate Urlacher get to college?

Daniel Ryan Urlacher

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jane Addams Urlacher

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Barack Obama Urlacher :lol:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1653397750959026176

Jordan Love wanted a payday now huh.

Good deal for the Packers, I probably would not have taken that if I was Love. But I guess he gets his money now.

And it allows the Packers to cut him for only 13 million if he sucks this year, rather than having to pick up the 5th year option for 20 mil to cut him.

I personally would have forced the Packers to use the 5th year option, but shrug.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 2, 2023

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1653397750959026176

Jordan Love wanted a payday now huh.

Good deal for the Packers, I probably would not have taken that if I was Love. But I guess he gets his money now.

And it allows the Packers to cut him for only 13 million if he sucks this year, rather than having to pick up the 5th year option for 20 mil to cut him.

I personally would have forced the Packers to use the 5th year option, but shrug.

If I was a poo poo QB and I knew it I would take the 13 million dollars.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I mean he took less guaranteed for next year but would make more next year than the 20 if he plays on that. If he also gets some of that as a signing bonus that’s also immediate money he gets as well. I probably would have still held out for the guaranteed 20 though but hey.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m going to guess this was more about a little bit of cap relief for that 40 they just ate.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m going to guess this was more about a little bit of cap relief for that 40 they just ate.

This doesn’t affect their cap at all this year.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This doesn’t affect their cap at all this year.

Really the option doesn’t effect the cap? Weird

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Really stupid Ringer article today about the Lions’ plan arguing among other things that they failed to get a star QB (all the ones with real upside were gone by the fourth pick) and that Penei Sewell is not an elite left tackle yet because of his pass blocking (he primarily plays right tackle).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

Really the option doesn’t effect the cap? Weird

The 5th year option is fully guaranteed salary, not signing bonus, so it doesn’t get spread over multiple years. It counts fully against the cap in the year it’s paid, i.e next year, and the Packers are eating all of Rodgers dead money this year.

This move is basically to allow the Packers to cut Love for less money if he sucks this year but only pay him slightly more than the option if they want to keep him another year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Henchman of Santa posted:

Really stupid Ringer article today

must be a day that ends in y

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Hizawk posted:

Counter-argument: If I was a really good competent QB and knew it I would take the additional 2 million dollars for no extra effort.

It does seem surprisingly team friendly though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7228277714321558830

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Really stupid Ringer article today about the Lions’ plan arguing among other things that they failed to get a star QB (all the ones with real upside were gone by the fourth pick) and that Penei Sewell is not an elite left tackle yet because of his pass blocking (he primarily plays right tackle).

The Lions draft was really funny to watch draft nerds get twisted up about it.

PFF was making GBS threads all over the Lions for positional value and when it was all said and done they were the only team to get 5 of PFF's top 50 prospects.

A lot of brain gymnastics went on when they viewed the draft as a whole. I did like the take that the Lions first five picks would have all been fine with their 18th overall pick.

Or the nerd that said it doesn't matter what Gibbs does on the field because its bad value. ooooh well then.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Apparently the Lions have opened contract talk with Goff. They're under no pressure to do anything right now. I would wait to see if he can duplicate his play from last year before extending him.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think Young, Stroud or Richardson falling to 6 might have tested Detroit's resolve, but that didn't happen, and they weren't trading up to do it. We'll never know if they'd have taken Levis in the 2nd or not (my guess is not) and I don't see how you can then have an issue with getting Hooker at 68. There was some pre-draft talk about Hooker being a late 1st round pick, maybe ahead of Levis on team boards, and I definitely saw him mocked to the Lions at 18 at least once.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Richardson was at 6, Lions were sprinting to the podium and Brad Holmes would've killed several people in the room in the ensuing celebration, there's little doubt in my mind.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Danny LaFever posted:

The Lions draft was really funny to watch draft nerds get twisted up about it.

PFF was making GBS threads all over the Lions for positional value and when it was all said and done they were the only team to get 5 of PFF's top 50 prospects.

A lot of brain gymnastics went on when they viewed the draft as a whole. I did like the take that the Lions first five picks would have all been fine with their 18th overall pick.

Or the nerd that said it doesn't matter what Gibbs does on the field because its bad value. ooooh well then.

I heard a good take on espn radio this morning that if you told someone which picks the lions had and to just look at the players the Lions drafted but didn't tell them where then it would be a pretty positive reaction

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I suppose if I'd spent the last couple decades getting jerked around by QBs, I'd also want to get some revenge but :lmao::lol:

Reward the guy who we've jerked around for years with an extension? Nah. Commit to the obvious fifth year option? He hasn't really earned that because we've refused to let him. Threaten to not exercise the option to push the kid into taking less guaranteed money to flex just a little bit of power after being pushed around the last few offseaons?

That's the ticket. I'm sure that'll make for a great working environment.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That diabolical Brian Gutekunst is at it again!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Love isn’t getting screwed, it’s a fine deal for him. He gets a chunk of money now and a chance to make a little more than he would have on the option year if he doesn’t suck.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
This is like the best option for both sides lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah if Love plays well he gets a new contract next year, if he doesn’t he still made some cash

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It would own so much if Love was ok-ish and the Packers got stuck in Mediocre Quarterback Hell for the next 30 years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mediocre QB play is still enough to win the north let’s be fair

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

Hizawk posted:

Guessing by this comment, and the deal that was struck, You wouldn't be able to figure out where to sign the check.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Bumhead posted:

I think Young, Stroud or Richardson falling to 6 might have tested Detroit's resolve, but that didn't happen, and they weren't trading up to do it.

Really stupid Ringer article today about the Lions’ plan arguing among other things that they failed to get a star QB (all the ones with real upside were gone by the fourth pick)

I think the biggest criticism you could have of the Lions' first round is that they didn't trade up to get Richardson at 3 (assuming they had a first round grade on him). You're not guaranteed to be in a position to get a QB you feel comfortable taking in the first round in any given year, even if you're willing to trade up.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Criticizing the Love extension is so weird. We don't even know if they were going to exercise the 5th year option. If they told him they weren't, but gave him that extension as an alternative, he would have to be a fool not to take it. It splits the risk/reward down the middle evenly for both sides and gives Love at extra 13 million upfront. It's an absolute win for both sides and the most practical solution.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

CharlestheHammer posted:

Mediocre QB play is still enough to win the north let’s be fair

Goff is gonna prove it this year

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Schrodinger's QB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Goff is gonna prove it this year

That pro-bowler Jared Goff to yoU!

Neither love nor the packers believe in him so this is the best deal for both sides.