Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

haveblue posted:

The Moss games for PSVR are the closest we'll ever get, probably

They're good for kids if you don't mind a little essentialism, like most classic fantasy. No idea if the author ever did or said anything bad, wikipedia has nothing

To be honest, I only remember people discussing the books in another forum about a decade ago. It's more than probable I'm getting the author confused with someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I preloaded redfall on game pass with the intent of giving it a few hours but lol this embargo break is making me think about just deleting it without even loading it up lol...

I could play the train game instead

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why would you want to shoot vampires? Wouldn't the fun of fighting vampires be doing anti-vampire stuff. Throwing rice, diverting streams, not inviting them inside, sun tricks, garlic, barn cats, wooden stakes, weird dirt stuff, etc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This just reminds me that I should play Vampire the Masquerade Swansong

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Khanstant posted:

Why would you want to shoot vampires? Wouldn't the fun of fighting vampires be doing anti-vampire stuff. Throwing rice, diverting streams, not inviting them inside, sun tricks, garlic, barn cats, wooden stakes, weird dirt stuff, etc

You know, that sounds great. Almost like a vampire-fighting immersive simulation, where you can take many different routes to fight vampires. But that’s a crazy concept for a genre. It would never catch on.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This just reminds me that I should play Vampire the Masquerade Swansong

It’s got a lot of eurojank, but I enjoyed it. They do some fun things with the Malkavian.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 2, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Good vampire games are cursed which is why only one ever got made.

I could see the deeplore vampire game working as that uhh... Idk one person is a horror movie monster and the other players try not to die. Dead to rights. As that sort of game with one player a vampire trying to kill or turn the others and you can stall vamp by doing the tricks. I wouldn't want to play it since I don't want to play dead to rights either but mechanically could incorporate enough vampire stuff to satisfy a Wikipedia page and monetizable audience.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

While we're talking about what a turd Redfall is, let me recommend Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. It's old and janky and needs some work to run on Windows now, but it's still fun (and a little busted). Play as a hapless (or not) moron who kicks and pratfalls his opponents to fulfilling (or not) an ancient prophecy! Half the fun is how the game's loot system works - you don't buy anything, if you miss it too bad (though there's dupes), but there's secrets and cool stuff everywhere. The plot is nothing special but it's kind of fun in how it works out - you're, in fact, the Dark Messiah - the son of Sauronsatan - you can work to free him, or not, and betray the sorceress lady for no reason or stick with the succubus in your head to conquer the world - then betray her too to free Demon Daddy anyway. And he's grateful for it! He doesn't screw you over or anything. He's actually a pretty good dad, he's just been stuck in prison by, what I gather were an endless legion of spiders.

Really you're playing the game to get the freeze spell and kick guards and orcs off of stairs and cliffs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Khanstant posted:

Dead to rights.

No, that's the one where you're a cop, different kind of monster

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I genuinely think you could do a fantastic open world/sim deep lore vampire game. One town. One vampire lord. Systems heavy with a large focus on hierarchy - think Shadows of Mordor. NPCs in the town slowly getting turned into thralls. Hunt your way up to the top, using all the tricks - throw some beans, divert the river, never invite anyone in, eventually do your final strike in the daylight to even the odds. Make who the vampire lord is different every playthrough.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

No, that's the one where you're a cop, different kind of monster

Lol okay my thought process was "oh groady murder game based on different famous have-it-at-home properties, dead to (copy)rights"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You have eliminated Grishnash Bloodgargler!

Dorguz Throatchomper has been promoted!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if wotc wasn't a mess, they would have made a curse of strahd video game by now. d&d 5e's singular good module

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

You have eliminated Grishnash Bloodgargler!

Dorguz Throatchomper has been promoted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atWRu6SGK8g

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

While we’re on the topic of vampire games, does anyone know of any good vampire dynasty strategy games? It feels like one should exist, but so can’t think of any.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I wish in Shadow of Mordor the protagonist got to have little heart-to-hearts with the named orcs as he killed them, like in the Assassin's Creed games. The orcs would be all like, "Yeah, I have some regrets, I suppose. But who doesn't, I guess... "

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/BenMullin/status/1653172643044917249

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

“I wish I’d got to chomp some more throats, you know?”

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

"Crazy the things you don't notice when you're too busy gorging on delightful filth. I never appreciated butterflies enough."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

CottonWolf posted:

While we’re on the topic of vampire games, does anyone know of any good vampire dynasty strategy games? It feels like one should exist, but so can’t think of any.

Modded Crusader Kings 2 is probably going to be your best bet. There is a vampire CK2 sort of game but I don't think it's meant to be very good

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

HopperUK posted:

Modded Crusader Kings 2 is probably going to be your best bet. There is a vampire CK2 sort of game but I don't think it's meant to be very good

Princes of Darkness it is then. One day Paradox might make an official version. They own the IP after all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A friend gifted me both The Silver Case and The 25th Ward, time to Kill The Past

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Looper posted:

it's time to ban putting overplayed pop music in trailers

And more of this

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1601089856347975680

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZevH5yK3Q

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Noted good mod Anbennar for noted good game Europa Universalis 4 has a couple of nations that have a vampire power base. It's cool and flavourful IMO

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jesus lmao Redfall truly is a piece of poo poo game in every single way. This should have just been canceled.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Xenonauts 2 is going to finally hit early access in the next month or two and I am very hyped for it. I preferred the style of old school XCOM to the firaxis remakes even though they are also very good games, and Xenonauts 2 seems to go more for that older vibe. I bounced off Xenonauts 1 a little, though I've been meaning to try it again.

I saw some videos of people playing the 50 day demo of Xenonauts 2 and it looks great

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Volcano Princesses true ending is some of the most out there left field poo poo I've seen in a minute. The one plot twist anyone could see easy, then the other two come out of no where for a hearty lmao wut. All this excarebated by the absolute inscrutablity of most of the text in the cutscenes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

redfall just kind of sucks huh. boring, visually unappealing, kinda janky, low-effort, stuttery on pc. there seems to be zero reason why they couldn't have just lowered the resolution to get 60fps on xbox considering i've seen meh pcs get 100+ at 1080p.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

redfall just kind of sucks huh. boring, visually unappealing, kinda janky, low-effort, stuttery on pc. there seems to be zero reason why they couldn't have just lowered the resolution to get 60fps on xbox considering i've seen meh pcs get 100+ at 1080p.

something went catastrophically off the rails development-wise, and my only guess is that the entire arkane team had only ever touched the in-house void engine and they just could not make the transition over to UE4

"your game development team in 2023 doesn't know how to use UE4" is an admittedly bizarre reason for a game to flop, but truth is sometimes stranger than fiction

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
oh no, I just saw the redfall reviews

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

good vice quote

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Redfall is exactly what we all predicted it would be. In agreement with others, the game is just visually boring, and the gameplay loop is unappealing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was holding out hope. This was in large part the Prey team after all.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rinkles posted:

I was holding out hope. This was in large part the Prey team after all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGCwVImb4nk&t=79s

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm gonna play Redfall in the next day or two with some friends and will report back.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

we waiting with bated breath

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

Volcano Princesses true ending is some of the most out there left field poo poo I've seen in a minute. The one plot twist anyone could see easy, then the other two come out of no where for a hearty lmao wut. All this excarebated by the absolute inscrutablity of most of the text in the cutscenes.

still not sure if ur making this game up or not

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

haha what posted:

still not sure if ur making this game up or not

So the Dad unknowingly fell in love with the Islands resident Goddess, and they had a child together. This child inherited the divinity from the mother so the Town's most legendary warrior secretly had the father killed and exchanged his soul into her body so he could gain enough power to take the source of power from the Goddess mother.

Inhabiting you're sisters body, he pretended to be an apprentice of the warrior and ends up in control of the military of the Kingdom. And sets up the town on a crusade against the Goddess by misinforming them, letting them believe she's actually a demon.

She meanwhile sad that her child and husband are dead. Force evolves one bird into a human and then puts the fathers soul into that vessel, and creates a second talking bird as a butler. Then has a second, mortal child with the Husband. This is the Girl you raise in every chapter after the prologue. She however is hunted down and injured by the Legendary Warrior, now going by Lesbas, who is extremely confused as to how the father is alive and how their seems to be an identical but younger little girl living at their house. But he doesn't focus on it too much because he can now match the Goddess in combat by using her daughters body as a vessel and is only stopped from gaining immortality by the Goddess's ability to turn the forest and jungles hostile with monsters and her ability to escape.

When he does manage to corner her again he manages to cut off her arm though, weakening her enough that the entire country starts de evolving into Birds again, including your father. Thinking this is caused by her, rather than by her injury. Your daughter enlists to help put a stop to the "'Owl Queen" unwittingly signing up with the man who killed your sister and possessed her body to go on a crusade to hunt down and kill your mom.

Your sister being divine though has lost her physical vessel but still maintains her spirit. She uses this to show up in your dreams and be cryptic. And to confuse the living poo poo out of the players when she shows up in endings that don't explain any of this e.g. most of them.

Luckily in the true ending you kill the Warrior and reunite with your sister and mother for a minute before shipping out for your epilogue. You also see that the de evolution has been cured and the Goddess is free to resume her life as the Father's loving wife. Probably still keeping him in the dark that she took out his soul and put it into an extremely advanced birds body.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I resent human-to-bird transformations being called “devolution”

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

haveblue posted:

They're good for kids if you don't mind a little essentialism, like most classic fantasy. No idea if the author ever did or said anything bad, wikipedia has nothing

IIRC, the main author criticisms about Brian Jacques are mostly based on criticizing that essentialism rather than him having a Rowling situation going on. The books are generally really fixed on presenting all creatures of specific species as being a certain way - all mice are naturally kind and helpful, all moles are naturally humble laborers with rustic accents, all rats and other "vermin" are naturally evil murdering thieves, etc. - which keeps things relatively simple and understandable for children, but might also send the wrong kind of message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I spent the evening playing Redfall.

It's basically a Far Cry except the elites you have to glory kill.

Also lol that the tutorial level gives you the Arkane "complete the objective your way" spiel except the objective is a room in a random fire station where all the windows are somehow bulletproof so you have to go through the prescribed two ways they let you enter the room to start the combat encounter

Edit: the most damning thing was what I already expected, that Outriders was already a superior looter shooter from the ground up. In the first ten minutes of outriders you immediately start making enemies' heads explode whereas here they are dripfeeding the most generic abilities after every half-hour mission, the first thing I got was a decoy (which doesn't move the needle much considering the ai is already slow and dumb) and the second ability i've gotten was a small detpack

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 2, 2023