Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
big nosferatu fan james harden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lmaooooo 100% correct answer

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/JeffMcDev/status/1653171768356491265?s=19

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

So that's what happened to the Cookie Monster

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Ghost Dog posted:

rooting for my higher seeded defending champion 4 rings deep into a dynasty team, perplexed why everyone isnt cheering along with me
They beat the C's last year but I don't even want revenge I am just Draymond'd out

snyprmag posted:

Deric White sad-puppy-eyes the refs rather than yell like other players
When he does that my wife quotes the "I'm just a baby" meme, when he gets a block she does an angry and defiant version.

KurdtLives fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 2, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Tourism commercials still confound me. I mean.....how many people are watching an NBA Playoff game and say to themselves......yeah.....I SHOULD go to Deadwood, SD? Who are these people?

I wonder about this as well. From what I understand it is orgs buying up local commercials for this. I used to get Albuquerque a lot. Like I like Albuquerque but it is like Tucson East, hardly a change of scenery.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Another blessed Magic tweet

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Jokic runs around on his little tiptoes like a young James Gandolfini

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Boston lost and Denver won, I call that a great day
Jokic looked completely gassed but still handled his poo poo to the last minute

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

chris pauls dick dont work :(

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Suns and Nuggets don’t play again until like Friday or some poo poo so lots of time for both teams to rest up. Realistically the suns needed to win one in Denver and this should have been it. Durant won’t brick it up this bad every night so I’m still thinking they win game 3 but there might not be enough ammunition around Booker to push it much further than that :(

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Durant won’t brick it up this bad every night

Neither will Murray. Lots of game left and all that but this was a good shot for the Suns. Aaron Gordon seems like a terrible matchup for them

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I feel bad for cam payne. He sucked rear end tonight but he’s also been dropped from the rotation for unclear reasons and basically hasn’t played since like loving December then gets tossed in for heavy minutes after an injury. I don’t mean this in a hot take pissed off after a loss way but Monty Williams is going to be on the hot seat what with the new owner if this series spirals.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

Doltos posted:

It's like this board isn't rife with Minnesota, Cleveland, […]

Wtffffff

Doltos posted:

[…] and Philadelphia posters being what they think Knicks fans are.

Oh nvm you’re right.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My favorite player is gonna retire without a ring. His legacy is gonna be that of an injury-prone loser in the sense of never being able to win the big one and/or being dirty and/or a whiner. It's a really weird sensation when the only thing that was giving you any emotional attachment to a sport is going to be gone and you never got the feeling of joy that you were hoping for. It's not like I'm a fan of a franchise where I can always tell myself hey, maybe they'll be good down the road. I started following the NBA because of Chris Paul because I'm a second generation Wake Forest graduate.

Until this year, I always had at least fleeting hope that I might see it before it was all over. But nope. I genuinely believe it's over, and the only things that make it worse are nobody is gonna be sad about it but me. That's hyperbole of course, but the most generous read of it is gonna be that he could just never pull through when it mattered, and for those feeling less kind, they'll celebrate that he never got there because he's hated and/or even blame him for those teams failing because of his injuries and whatever. And I'm not even saying oh I'll never enjoy watching basketball again. I'm saying unless some loving phenom randomly comes to Wake Forest and then balls out in the NBA, I'll never see a Wake superstar win a title as THE guy, and I've always felt an affinity to CP3 because point guard is my favorite position in all of basketball. I just love watching good point guards play. So like yeah, I'll see basketball and have fun sometimes and think wow that's incredible and watch cool and good players win titles. But I'll be watching it with a level of detachment that like, yeah, it's probably better for my overall mental health, but I'll never feel the exuberance that I know pretty much every one of you knows exactly what I'm talking about. I'll never feel it ever. The chance is finally gone.

I cannot begin to describe how badly this sucks. And I was already having a bad night. No hate to the Nuggets though. They're pretty cool.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think it kind of sucks if CP3 retires without a ring because it will always be used to downplay how good he was, even though I never actually rooted for any team he played for particularly.

edit: however that was game one and the Suns will very likely be a better team next year anyway when they have had any time playing together.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
CP3 can be friends with Charles Barkley.:)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DeimosRising posted:

edit: however that was game one and the Suns will very likely be a better team next year anyway when they have had any time playing together.

Denver is currently up 2-0

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

I think it kind of sucks if CP3 retires without a ring because it will always be used to downplay how good he was, even though I never actually rooted for any team he played for particularly.

Chris already hit a brick loving wall THIS season. He's not gonna be better next year my dude. Unless he gets bought out and goes on to be the epitome of a ring-chaser he's never winning one, and at that point it doesn't really mean anything.

Like I said, it's done.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

IcePhoenix posted:

Denver is currently up 2-0

oh yeah lol

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My favorite player is gonna retire without a ring. His legacy is gonna be that of an injury-prone loser in the sense of never being able to win the big one and/or being dirty and/or a whiner. It's a really weird sensation when the only thing that was giving you any emotional attachment to a sport is going to be gone and you never got the feeling of joy that you were hoping for. It's not like I'm a fan of a franchise where I can always tell myself hey, maybe they'll be good down the road. I started following the NBA because of Chris Paul because I'm a second generation Wake Forest graduate.

Until this year, I always had at least fleeting hope that I might see it before it was all over. But nope. I genuinely believe it's over, and the only things that make it worse are nobody is gonna be sad about it but me. That's hyperbole of course, but the most generous read of it is gonna be that he could just never pull through when it mattered, and for those feeling less kind, they'll celebrate that he never got there because he's hated and/or even blame him for those teams failing because of his injuries and whatever. And I'm not even saying oh I'll never enjoy watching basketball again. I'm saying unless some loving phenom randomly comes to Wake Forest and then balls out in the NBA, I'll never see a Wake superstar win a title as THE guy, and I've always felt an affinity to CP3 because point guard is my favorite position in all of basketball. I just love watching good point guards play. So like yeah, I'll see basketball and have fun sometimes and think wow that's incredible and watch cool and good players win titles. But I'll be watching it with a level of detachment that like, yeah, it's probably better for my overall mental health, but I'll never feel the exuberance that I know pretty much every one of you knows exactly what I'm talking about. I'll never feel it ever. The chance is finally gone.

I cannot begin to describe how badly this sucks. And I was already having a bad night. No hate to the Nuggets though. They're pretty cool.

Don't worry, his legacy will instead be shilling insurance and causing me to mute the tv.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shinjobi posted:

CP3 can be friends with Charles Barkley.:)

The two players that got me paying attention to the NBA.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Suns and Nuggets don’t play again until like Friday or some poo poo so lots of time for both teams to rest up. Realistically the suns needed to win one in Denver and this should have been it. Durant won’t brick it up this bad every night so I’m still thinking they win game 3 but there might not be enough ammunition around Booker to push it much further than that :(

Booker looked so exhausted I think they’re just gonna shake him awake 30 minutes before tip Friday

Also I really thought the crowd was gonna jump onto the court and throttle the refs in that possession where they called three fouls

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Reminder that Chris Paul has made like 250 million dollars and is considered one of the best ever players at his position.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

It's good because those clipper and Houston teams were terrible to watch and incredibly whiny

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Down 2-0 is pretty far from finished and they get three full days of rest before game 3. This series has barely even started.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Series doesn't start till someone loses at home.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
And I swear I don't mean that as a dig at Barkley--always loved Charles Barkley, especially since I got to see a couple of games of his when he played with the Rockets. The NBA has made it clear to me throughout my life that yeah, some select few get rings but even those without usually get recognized if they were good enough.

I'm not ready to close the door on CP3 yet, but I think his career makes a pretty good argument that he's not gonna disappear from everyone's collective memory even if he never wins the big one.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/buckets/status/1653256666585104384

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

big boi posted:

Reminder that Chris Paul has made like 250 million dollars and is considered one of the best ever players at his position.

And? He's never gonna win a title and people will poo poo on him forever for always getting hurt. Charles Barkley gets endless poo poo for never winning a title and he was, to my knowledge, never disliked in the way CP3 is.

And like I said, if anybody can sit there and tell me they don't understand the bummer-ness of the idea that you'll KNOW that your emotional connection to a particular sport will never win a championship, go ahead.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Tim Duncan

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Down 2-0 is pretty far from finished and they get three full days of rest before game 3. This series has barely even started.

I'm of the belief that the groin injury is the kiss of death, and honestly, can you blame me?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SamuraiFoochs posted:

And? He's never gonna win a title and people will poo poo on him forever for always getting hurt. Charles Barkley gets endless poo poo for never winning a title and he was, to my knowledge, never disliked in the way CP3 is.

If CP3 turns into even half the troll Barkley is I think it's gonna be okay.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Tim Duncan

I didn't care about sports when Tim was The Guy, Doltos. By the time Tim won his last title, Kawhi was basically the dude that year, and Tim's legacy was already cemented.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Maybe you could become a really big fan of new CBAs. Post like he won the finals when he leads a negotiation that keeps the BRI percentage at what it currently is.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

e never mind

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You are 100% correct as always Magic.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

DeimosRising posted:

Yes, I hate CP3 but I will defend his greatness. I think he's a top 5 pg ever and maybe top 3

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm not writing their epitaph yet, but in the back of my mind I always kind of looked at this season's postseason run for the Suns as a little bit of house money. For all the talk they made about KD being "plug and play", they clearly opened up some holes on their roster by trading for him that they didn't have time to fix, and they had literally a single-digit number of games to play with him in the lineup before the playoffs.

It would be cool if they made a deep run this year in spite of everything, but I think they need a summer to tool and build around Booker/KD to be truly competitive.

Also for Foochs I swear I read somewhere that CP3 can renegotiate his contract to stretch it out so he's not as much of a cap hit, imagine him as a 20 or 25-minute "starter" mentoring his replacement in the dark arts of the rip through. One can dream, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Having a guy from your favorite college turn into one of the greatest players in league history, a top five all-time player at his position who led good and entertaining teams for almost every season of his 18-year-and-counting career, is in the upper .001% of outcomes for guys you get super attached to because he went to the same school as you

I've got, uhh...DeMarre Carroll stringing together a few years as a decent role player