Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Steiv posted:

Total Football is:
1. Conditioning
2. Versatility
3. Awareness
4. I don’t know what that one is yet, but it’s important

It’s just leaving the door open for a rousing speech about what number four truly means in the final/penultimate episode.

I figure after the hour of dismissing people's suggestions for number 4, not doing so when Trent says 'it doesn't matter what 4 is' is pretty telling.

The four steps are a process and if you don't define the last step then it's a constant process. A 'journey is not the destination' kind of deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Recent Basketball interview has large Lasso energy: https://twitter.com/blader/status/1651619414780051456

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I can't stand the Nate x Jade arc - so loving awkward and feels straight out of the mid 2000s when the rest of the show is a decade and half further along

If you told me the writers room was all men I'd believe you.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

manero posted:

I'm trying to figure out the symbolism of all the shots of the shops extending the awnings down.

maybe the show's not that deep

Director trying something new? (That I found very distracting.)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Slotducks posted:

I can't stand the Nate x Jade arc - so loving awkward and feels straight out of the mid 2000s when the rest of the show is a decade and half further along

I dunno the Rebecca storylines are kinda there with him.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

socialsecurity posted:

I dunno the Rebecca storylines are kinda there with him.

Great point. Real regression this season imo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Evil Badman posted:

Recent Basketball interview has large Lasso energy: https://twitter.com/blader/status/1651619414780051456

drat that's a good answer

Slotducks posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of it, but I haven't really been able to place why. Maybe because Nate has become such a dickhead? I don't really know

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I guess I missed it but why does she maybe even like him?

In fact all the relationship stories are bad this season.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
??

Roymie owns.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

George H.W. oval office posted:

I guess I missed it but why does she maybe even like him?

In fact all the relationship stories are bad this season.

He showed genuine enthusiasm and passion for something that was important to him and his family, and was able to articulate that even as someone famous and powerful clearly did not give a poo poo. In a moment when he could have been fake and dismissive to maintain status and popular attention, he instead was open and honest.

I really am convinced you guys hate it because you think you’re watching some ESPN inside-the-locker-room drama rather than a modern romcom

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

He showed genuine enthusiasm and passion for something that was important to him and his family, and was able to articulate that even as someone famous and powerful clearly did not give a poo poo. In a moment when he could have been fake and dismissive to maintain status and popular attention, he instead was open and honest
Yeah but he is also a colossal dick to her specifically and repeatedly shows up at her place of work to harass her to varying degrees.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

skeleton warrior posted:

He showed genuine enthusiasm and passion for something that was important to him and his family, and was able to articulate that even as someone famous and powerful clearly did not give a poo poo. In a moment when he could have been fake and dismissive to maintain status and popular attention, he instead was open and honest.

In isolation, this would be fine. I think the problem people have is about how they've used Jade as a character up to this point in the show - she's pretty much a cipher who's been inconsistently deployed depending on what they want to do with Nate's character arc.

An obvious example: back in Season 2, Nate's very first words to Jade are that the restaurant is his parents' favourite and he wants to book them the window table as a treat for their 35th anniversary. Their inciting incident is all about him clearly demonstrating that he cares about his family and the things that are important to his family.

However, in S2 Jade is more of an apathetic comic foil to Nate, and the episode arc is all about him learning to stand up for himself - so she refuses to give him the window table. (He then goes on to wheedle and try and use his status to get what he wants, which also fails, and then eventually stands up for himself and gets his way. However, Jade makes it clear that she's just not interested in him regardless.)

For Jade in S3 to now start warming to Nate because he's demonstrated that he cares about his family and because he's willing to stand up for himself feels both contradictory and repetitive. (And because he's leaned into his unpleasant qualities since then without any real redemption arc, it feels wrong as a rom-com structure.)

He had a whole episode about him making an effort to do something nice for his family, and the whole point was that she didn't care! He already stood up to her on behalf of his family, and she justifiably told him she just wasn't interested back then!

I can completely understand why people are saying it feels retrograde, because it does. It feels like something out of an older sitcom where the female love interest's role is to brutally reject the male protagonist for comic effect right up until the climax where she abruptly falls for him.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 28, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Even by Ted Lasso standards this show has been too chummy. Nate shouldn’t suddenly become a good family man and also get the girl. Keely shouldn’t be a successful businessperson and mend her relationships with her staff and embark on a frictionless new queer relationship. I think Ted Lasso works best when it’s about accepting failure and cherishing the silver linings. Everybody wins is some ancient network TV bullshit.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Slotducks posted:

Actual writing credit went to a woman for this episode:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19712480/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_wr_sm

While the show runners typically have "developed by" credits on all episodes, in Hollywood the singular "written by" or "teleplay by" credit typically goes to the person who presented the first draft of the script to the rest of the room.

And how much influence the (all male) showrunners had on that script? We may never know. But this episode was written by a woman... as much as any episode of anything is credited toward women writers.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Vegetable posted:

Even by Ted Lasso standards this show has been too chummy. Nate shouldn’t suddenly become a good family man and also get the girl. Keely shouldn’t be a successful businessperson and mend her relationships with her staff and embark on a frictionless new queer relationship. I think Ted Lasso works best when it’s about accepting failure and cherishing the silver linings. Everybody wins is some ancient network TV bullshit.

Keeley is not presented as a successful businessperson, to me at least. She seems to have no clue about anything at or above her level (e.g. not thinking of Jack as her boss, what's a CFO), her workplace seems toxic, and she seems to barely be holding it together. (I'm admittedly making some leaps here as we're not spending much time with this storyline.)

Nate is a weird character. All I can come up with is he's really impressionable? So when he's with Rupert he's a poo poo, but when he's with supportive family he's making googley-eyed boxes. But the less charitable reading is he's whatever the script needs him to be at the moment.

Overall I think of Ted Lasso as almost entirely following sports movie tropes but with a thoughtful lil twist. In the end it works out. I can't imagine this season not ending with "everything works out".

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
everything works out for everyone. except the plane taking ted permanently back to the US blows up

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I like the character of Keeley but I'm a bit tired of her entire story always revolving around a new love or whatever. It just feels like she just flops onto whatever romance is next and tbh the stuff with Jack is a little wack.

I'm expecting it to blow up eventually.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Yea I'm waiting for the relationship to blow up and also take the company's primary investor with it. Similarly, maybe Nate's redemption arc will truly will kick off when Jade leaves him once she sees him spit and become a piece of poo poo to someone.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ilmucche posted:

drat that's a good answer

Yeah I'm not a fan of it, but I haven't really been able to place why. Maybe because Nate has become such a dickhead? I don't really know
Nate had a big creepy gift that was going to skeeve that poor woman out and was set up to lambast the fact that we used to reward creepy stalker behavior in men and then it got smooshed by a truck, he's the villain of the series right now, and I feel like there's still a chance for her to realize what a weird little incel gremlin he is when fate doesn't intervene to drive a car over that behavior.

So I'll be really disappointed if this whole thing is just a meet cute or the beginning of his redemption. He's a stalker rear end in a top hat.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vegetable posted:

Keeley's relationship is a recipe for toxic disaster though. It definitely feels like they're building to something with that. Keeley is professionally and financially dependent on Jack - it's dodgy as gently caress.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nuclear Spoon posted:

everything works out for everyone. except the plane taking ted permanently back to the US blows up

I hope Nate flames out and it ends with him getting on a flight to take over a college football team

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

LividLiquid posted:

Nate had a big creepy gift that was going to skeeve that poor woman out and was set up to lambast the fact that we used to reward creepy stalker behavior in men and then it got smooshed by a truck, he's the villain of the series right now, and I feel like there's still a chance for her to realize what a weird little incel gremlin he is when fate doesn't intervene to drive a car over that behavior.

So I'll be really disappointed if this whole thing is just a meet cute or the beginning of his redemption. He's a stalker rear end in a top hat.

That's a good way of putting it. The box thing was a terrible idea for a hostess he barely knows who has shown pretty much indifference and pity (once) towards him while he's spent loads of time trying to play his "I'm a big shot" cards.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Vegetable posted:

I think Ted Lasso works best when it’s about accepting failure and cherishing the silver linings. Everybody wins is some ancient network TV bullshit.

Yes, every single thing working out fine seems a bit contradictory to the lyrics of the title song.
"Yeah, it might be all that you get
Yeah, I guess this might well be it
Well heaven knows I've tried"

radlum
May 13, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

Sam and Rebecca being a thing wasn't my favorite plot, but it wasn't that bad, but it seems like the show loves bad power dynamics in the relationships of its characters. Keeley dating her financier and Nate trying to get on with a worker at his favorite restaurant (where the manager seems to like him for some reason) are such odd dynamics that either the show does something interesting with them in the few remaining episodes or it will actually be a very dumb blindspot for the writers.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

"Ted's plane was shot down over the North Atlantic. It spiraled in. There were no survivors." I don't care how big of a non sequitur it would be.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
In the final episode it is revealed that Ted never existed and was just a common halucination of everyone including his son. The real Ted Lasso was in our hearts all alon. Beard was real though.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
ted and the marriage counsellor are the same guy

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a stalker, but just like Rebecca and the Dane, his plot is very rom-com. Nate's acting like a bumbling teenager and the man's head is almost fully grey for god's sake.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lister posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a stalker, but just like Rebecca and the Dane, his plot is very rom-com. Nate's acting like a bumbling teenager and the man's head is almost fully grey for god's sake.
That's just it, yeah. Rom-coms are full of gross stalker behavior too. Until very, very recently it was a staple of the genre.

I loves me some Say Anything as much as the next gal, but rather a lot of things Lloyd Dobbler does are super fuckin' horrifying when they happen in real life.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Bit late on all of these but whatever

I find the Nate storyline a bit... weird, because Nate isn't a Good Guy on the programme. If you follow the storyline, he's a kitman who gets promoted above his station, this goes to his head, he sells out his team, and he gets a massive ego as a result. Why should I care about his love life? Everyone else is given some sort of redemption. Nate is socially inept but gets the hot girlfriend. That's not character development.

It just feels jarring on a show that is all about good vibes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What is up with the gray hair anyway? It happened all of a sudden and I thought it was going to be some Twin Peaks poo poo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Data Graham posted:

What is up with the gray hair anyway? It happened all of a sudden and I thought it was going to be some Twin Peaks poo poo

It happened gradually throughout season 2 as he became more of a oval office.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally got round to this episode. Pretty good with lots of solid laughs but yeah the Keely stuff is still weak. And even as the biggest Nate sympathiser I still don’t understand why it feels like they’ve completely forgotten that they made him such a villain and just massively focused on this weird thing with Jade.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I wonder if the thing with Jade ends up with Rupert insulting Nate (“my manager should be seen dating models and actresses, not a waitress”) just like he gave him a super car. That results in Nate standing up for himself and leaves the job. possibly going back to Richmond, but at least finally apologizing to Ted.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

pokeyman posted:

Keeley is not presented as a successful businessperson, to me at least. She seems to have no clue about anything at or above her level (e.g. not thinking of Jack as her boss, what's a CFO), her workplace seems toxic, and she seems to barely be holding it together. (I'm admittedly making some leaps here as we're not spending much time with this storyline.)

I thought Jack was the VC investor not Keeley's boss. Granted recent real world events have blurred the line between the two

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought Jack was the VC investor not Keeley's boss. Granted recent real world events have blurred the line between the two

She is, but depending on how the arrangement was setup, she could in theory still be her "boss" via seats on the board.

But then again in this show Keeley didn't know what CFO was, so I can't imagine they'd try to shoehorn in anything about a board of directors, ha.

So really the "worst" thing Jack could do is pull her funding which would lead to a close down, which I guess to enough people is "Jack is her boss".

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

esperantinc posted:

She is, but depending on how the arrangement was setup, she could in theory still be her "boss" via seats on the board.

But then again in this show Keeley didn't know what CFO was, so I can't imagine they'd try to shoehorn in anything about a board of directors, ha.

So really the "worst" thing Jack could do is pull her funding which would lead to a close down, which I guess to enough people is "Jack is her boss".

"Break up with me and you and all your employees will be jobless" is still a pretty bad power dynamic though.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if Nate’s character was one of the changes in the writing overhaul this season, but I’d just be curious about any changes they made

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Writing overhaul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Strange Cares posted:

"Break up with me and you and all your employees will be jobless" is still a pretty bad power dynamic though.

Hey I can't argue that!