Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Was thinking about this in the shower this morning, the whole tirade against woke is just reheated "political correctness gone mad" from the 90s.

Yeah, like other posters have said, I can remember Daily Mail outrage stories from the 90's that could be reprinted word for word today, just doing a find and replace for "woke" instead of "political correctness".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They're taking away all our freedoms Stew. You can't say baa baa black sheep any more Stew, it has to be baa baa non binary sheep, in case it offends a Muslim. It's health and safety gone mad

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the “PC brigade”

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

killerwhat posted:

I’ll be at a rave (Bangface festival), dressed as a guillotine. It’s very unlikely someone would seriously be doing the pledge there, on the other hand it would be funny, so who knows.

For sure you could find some weirdos near the actual coronation site, but it might be more disturbing than funny if there are lots of people doing it.

Shitmat ( I've got his Rolf Harris album, which has been scrubbed from the internet), scotch egg and ceephax, topped off with headlining orbital.
That looks like a banger weekend

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
they love "woke" because it's shorter than political correctness, freeing up column space for more specific racism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just lol if it's a mame cabinet and she gets done for :filez:

Jel Shaker posted:

the “PC brigade”
:hmmyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Funnily, I was going to post that, but I have spent the last couple of hours dismantling my keyboard because my R key is on the fritz, which is also very pc

dismantling it did not help but smacking the key very hard with the back of my screwdriver appears to have.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

These days, if you say you conform to BS4822

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

DreddyMatt posted:

Shitmat ( I've got his Rolf Harris album, which has been scrubbed from the internet), scotch egg and ceephax, topped off with headlining orbital.
That looks like a banger weekend

It will be!

Shitmat / Wrong Music unfortunately will not be on my watch list. I saw him at Balter festival a few years ago when he was going though a bad patch with personal stuff. He was completely mashed and barely able to play. Spent most of the set instead with his trousers down, hand in his pants, apparently wanking. I think he flashed the front row, too. It was really horrible and upsetting. The rest of Wrong Music found it hilarious and didn’t stop him.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nuclear Spoon posted:

they love "woke" because it's shorter than political correctness, freeing up column space for more specific racism

You gotta admire their skill, able to peddle the most insane racism and takes and yet somehow managing to not get their editorial team massacred by an irate member of the public.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
every so often i'll catch a screenshot of a telegraph headline and a couple of paragraphs and it's so unbelievably embarrassing that a professional* writer plus an editor and god knows who else signs off on a piece which uses the word "Lefty" as an adjective and/or noun. dogshit politics aside it's just phenomenally poo poo writing

*insofar as sharing the same coke dealer with multiple journalists/MPs makes you a professional

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

killerwhat posted:

It will be!

Shitmat / Wrong Music unfortunately will not be on my watch list. I saw him at Balter festival a few years ago when he was going though a bad patch with personal stuff. He was completely mashed and barely able to play. Spent most of the set instead with his trousers down, hand in his pants, apparently wanking. I think he flashed the front row, too. It was really horrible and upsetting. The rest of Wrong Music found it hilarious and didn’t stop him.

sounds like a nervous breakdown tbh?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1652917555542065152?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The writing, readers, and country are in alignment, at least.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

ngl I'd build a full size MAME cab if I had the spare space and money.

Same. I'm slowly making a small desktop cabinet but if I had the money and space for a full size one with a CRT display I totally would.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I made it to the second column before my eyes started to roll back into my head. At which point everything sort of faded to static.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The English appear to have consistently refused any interaction with the outside world. They are hostile to outsiders and have killed people who approached or landed on the island.[1]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very unfair to the sentinelese people to compare them to the english

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Days since Kieth abandoned a pledge: 0

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1653152666137010177?t=qDUvNVlhhWj6GCelY_WW7Q&s=19

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
really by now any time I read about starmer going back on something remotely good i'm surprised it took him this long, and that he's still got any pledges left to abandon

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
A lot of people say Keir Starmer is just David Cameron in a red tie, but actually he's Nick Clegg with a red face.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

All the lies and nerd idiocy of Clegg, the self assured belief that it's his right to be PM of Cameron and the authoritarian streak of Blair.

Basically the worst of all possible combinations.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Angepain posted:

really by now any time I read about starmer going back on something remotely good i'm surprised it took him this long, and that he's still got any pledges left to abandon

For too long politicians have been defined by what they stand for. Now it's time to define them by what they don't stand for.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Do these modern blairites even remember that labour in 97 actually had some progressive policies to appease their base

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Comrade Fakename posted:

It is with great sadness that I regret to inform you that Jess Phillips is a Gamer:

That's an interesting collection of graphics as well. Her Judge Dredd is Case Files 05 and Necropolis, and she also has Watchmen and Preacher on the shelf. Mega-City 1 gets nuked in CF5, Mega-City Two is nuked in Necropolis, Monument Valley is nuked in Preacher (to get rid of the Saint of Killers... and it doesn't work), and the plot of Watchmen revolves around the threat of nuclear war.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

winegums posted:

For too long politicians have been defined by what they stand for. Now it's time to define them by what they don't stand for.
Corbyn. The national anthem. I know it to be so.

He's undoing the coronation with his antisemites at Jewdas right now, nailing a splinter of the True Cross to a biscuit.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

marktheando posted:

Do these modern blairites even remember that labour in 97 actually had some progressive policies to appease their base

I dunno where Labour's lead is even coming from: the people who voted for them in 2019 are pissed-off and demoralized and the social conservatives that they're trying to woo are never ever going to stop seeing Labour as the party of woke looney leftist traitors. It's literally all riding on "Eh, let's give the other lot a go this time", which seems a pretty flimsy base for an election campaign.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

I dunno where Labour's lead is even coming from: the people who voted for them in 2019 are pissed-off and demoralized and the social conservatives that they're trying to woo are never ever going to stop seeing Labour as the party of woke looney leftist traitors. It's literally all riding on "Eh, let's give the other lot a go this time", which seems a pretty flimsy base for an election campaign.

At the moment, their lead is coming from people who haven't bothered paying attention to Labour's policies (or lack of).
It's a combination of people too busy/apathetic to spend time online trying to find out what Labour will do, and the usual raving fanatics who are convinced that if Keith is just given a bit more time, he'll come up with the policies which will give Labour a landslide win.

Thing is, you don't really need an election campaign right now. Labour are only putting a bit of effort into the locals because it will generate some good press if they do well; they don't actually care. When they have to spin up for the General election next year, that's when the trouble will come.
Firstly, because they have no policies apart from "more rapists and murderers police on the streets", and secondly because they've hosed the party's finances so badly it's not clear they can actually afford to run a comprehensive election campaign.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Breaking : Kier Starmer will announce he is dropping any pretence that he isn’t a flatulent, red faced, Tory poo poo within the next few weeks.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Breaking: Starmer dropping life

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Comrade Fakename posted:

It is with great sadness that I regret to inform you that Jess Phillips is a Gamer:

https://twitter.com/women4wes/status/1653033635191173120
She's also a fan of Judge Dredd (top shelf of the bookcase).

I can only imagine she thinks he's the good guy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/Women4Wes/status/1653041473334525954?s=20

I'm just surprised they're not of her own face.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

To be fair she's going to need the anxiety meds when she's called to the dock

(which is never going to happen)

Totally shocked that Jessflaps is a grifting oval office, so taken aback by this news.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jedit posted:

That's an interesting collection of graphics as well. Her Judge Dredd is Case Files 05 and Necropolis, and she also has Watchmen and Preacher on the shelf. Mega-City 1 gets nuked in CF5, Mega-City Two is nuked in Necropolis, Monument Valley is nuked in Preacher (to get rid of the Saint of Killers... and it doesn't work), and the plot of Watchmen revolves around the threat of nuclear war.

Looks like there's also the collected Akira volumes on the shelf nearer the cabinet.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

the tory voters i know are certainly unhappy with the party but at the same time they still like their local tory MP, so i’m not sure the polls are that accurate with this 20 pts lead

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Most of it is a utter collapse in the Tory vote share - roughly half of 2019 Tory voters are saying they don't know who they'll vote for next election now. Doesn't matter if you own vote share is static if half the other guys isn't turning up.

To be fair, this can win you a election - Boris Johnsons 2019 Victory Doesn't actually come from winning over "Red wall" voters despite how much the media goes on about them - Conservative votes went up by 5% at best.

What did happen is the labour vote share collapsed from the sustained media attack - Remainers to the Lib Dems, Brexitiers to the Brexit Party (remember them? And them being a tory front to let labour brexiters vote Tory without voting Tory).

I somehow doubt that we're seeing a similar sustained collapse in Tory votes, but we might be. If we're not Kier is going to have a sudden shock once election season starts and voters start taking pollsters seriously again.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

is there a general AI freakout thread somewhere on these forums

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That's "Watching the Watchmen", Gibbon's behind-the-scenes companion book.

marktheando posted:

These ones either weren't there or resented it at the time.

Guavanaut posted:

Corbyn. The national anthem. I know it to be so.

He's undoing the coronation with his antisemites at Jewdas right now, nailing a splinter of the True Cross to a biscuit.

to a scone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

roomtone posted:

is there a general AI freakout thread somewhere on these forums

There's one in CSPAM but it's not very active. Maybe in GBS?