Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pookah posted:

The US system of guessing a "serving size" that make the metrics look good is (gasp) pretty dishonest.

"Oh, these pork rinds are touting a quarter of the <whatever> of potato chips per serving!" *flips bag over* "Oh, that's because this bag is labeled as four servings."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You know how a Twix comes in two parts? That's two servings.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Four lokos have 4 and 3/4 servings per can

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

¿Cómo está tu madre, de todos modos?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

:fiesta:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dareon posted:

"Oh, these pork rinds are touting a quarter of the <whatever> of potato chips per serving!" *flips bag over* "Oh, that's because this bag is labeled as four servings."

I distinctly remember there was a time in like the early 90s when the Nutrition Facts info boxes were standardized to the format they're in now, and all the serving sizes were made "realistic". Like before that a can of Coke would be listed as like 1 2/3 servings or some poo poo, or the serving size on a bag of chips would be given in ounces; but afterwards it was like "it's 1 serving, give me a break. Serving size: 1 CAN".

Does anyone else remember that? In any case I guess things have drifted off into la-la land again since then if that's what the conventional wisdom is, but I still think it was a lot more insane back in the 80s, to the point where as a kid I was accustomed to looking at the serving sizes in the store just to laugh at them.

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 11:27 on May 2, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Data Graham posted:

I distinctly remember there was a time in like the early 90s when the Nutrition Facts info boxes were standardized to the format they're in now, and all the serving sizes were made "realistic". Like before that a can of Coke would be listed as like 1 2/3 servings or some poo poo, or the serving size on a bag of chips would be given in ounces; but afterwards it was like "it's 1 serving, give me a break. Serving size: 1 CAN".

Does anyone else remember that? In any case I guess things have drifted off into la-la land again since then if that's what the conventional wisdom is, but I still think it was a lot more insane back in the 80s, to the point where as a kid I was accustomed to looking at the serving sizes in the store just to laugh at them.

If that was a thing, it has since drifted back, I recall holding a container that fit comfortably in the palm of my hand and giggling at them trying to call it 8 servings.

Unrelated,

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay I sort of get everything but why Pinocchio?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Data Graham posted:

90s-00s were definitely worse. They put some specific rules in place that a serving should be related to the popular way of eating it so the weird serving sizes can be complained about.

There's still some weird loopholes you can get away with packaging. Like put cooking oil in a normal can and your serving size is table spoon but put it in a little spritzer and now your serving size is 1 spritz, rounding error 0 calories. Only way around this is per standard weight like they do in the EU.

But at least we better than Canada. They still have the chaos measurements from the 90s-00s.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Didn't know T-shirt Hell sold spices.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They (I don't know who "they" actually is, because it's not universal) fairly recently introduced a revamped Nutrition Facts label that has a "per serving" table side-by-side with a "per container" table. I definitely don't see it on everything, but it's starting to show up more.

"FIESTA TART" is an anagram for "I TASTE FART"

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Sir Lemming posted:

A perfect way to celebrate Stinko de Mayo

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Sir Lemming posted:

They (I don't know who "they" actually is, because it's not universal) fairly recently introduced a revamped Nutrition Facts label that has a "per serving" table side-by-side with a "per container" table. I definitely don't see it on everything, but it's starting to show up more.

I think that's the normal label in the UK/Europe? Or not per container, but I think there's always a per 100g, even when there isn't 100g of stuff.

Here's the Aldi 1 ingredient no salt, no added sugar peanut butter I've been dipping crackers into.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

FFT posted:

It's technically not a liquid. Though I'd be intrigued to see someone consume 12 oz / 350ml of peanut butter in a sitting.

So this one time I was backpacking, right...

Long story short I had nothing else to eat and got really hungry, and a jar of peanut butter went down with like, at least half a loaf of bread and possibly some jam or honey, but I probably ran out of that early.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

I think that's the normal label in the UK/Europe? Or not per container, but I think there's always a per 100g, even when there isn't 100g of stuff.

Here's the Aldi 1 ingredient no salt, no added sugar peanut butter I've been dipping crackers into.

Kinda? I’ve seen all sorts, but “per package” and “per serving” are sort of randomly on there sometimes. Usually always 100g servings which for some it’s fine but I’m not using 100g of nutritional yeast, not YET, anyhow

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I tell ya, the first time in the 90s I started seeing info boxes that said "serving size: 1oz (about 20 nuts)" instead of just abstract ounces it was a revelation, like true end-of-history stuff

Course now I'm looking at a bag that says "serving size: 6 chips" and :lol:

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

*Looking at my salt container*

Serving size: 100g
Sodium per serving: 100g

*drat, this sumabitch got a lotta sodium in it*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is a block of elemental sodium.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If you got the low-sodium variety it would be 80% the size and cost 20% more!

/andyrooney

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm trying to get a block of elemental peanut butter

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

That is a block of elemental sodium.
Which you would be extremely well advised not to consume.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm trying to get a block of elemental peanut butter

I hope you have like $2k cause lol

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/product/sial/nist2387

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

*furiously scribbling notes for my upcoming food-based Planescape campaign*

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zero_Grade posted:

*furiously scribbling notes for my upcoming food-based Planescape campaign*

Remember to include a platonic teapot

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Nettle Soup posted:

Your peanut butter contains at least 3 ingredients: peanuts, insect parts, and rodent hairs.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/04/health/insect-rodent-filth-in-food-wellness/index.html

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I do wonder what the UK standards for that are. There's a reason the general public don't want food trade deals with the US.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Basically for spices other countries tend to piggyback off US legal regulations or US trade association internal regulations.

https://www.cbi.eu/market-information/spices-herbs/what-requirements-should-your-product-comply

quote:

There is no official limit for foreign bodies in spices and herbs shipments to the European market. Most European buyers define their own specification requirements or follow the cleanliness specification of the American Spice Trade Association (ASTA). The cleanliness specification of ASTA defines the maximum presence of dead insects, excreta, moulds and other foreign matter. The Quality Minima Document (pdf) of the European Spices Association does not allow presence of any foreign objects greater than 2mm in diameter.

The UK does not put any limit on spices

https://www.food.gov.uk/business-guidance/importing-herbs-and-spices

quote:

Standards for spices

UK law does not define standards for spices. However, advice from the Health Protection Agency (HPA) on ‘end product’ microbiological criteria may be helpful. The HPA is an independent body that protects the health and wellbeing of everyone in England and Wales.

APHA has further information on the criteria. (Opens in a new window)

Information on UK standards for spices (Opens in a new window) is also available from the Seasoning and Spice Association’s (SSA) website

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 18:23 on May 2, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

People keep complaining about salty things having too much sodium, why not use ammonium chloride salt instead if that's their complaint? That's what scandinavians put in their salty licorice.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Whooping Crabs posted:

Your peanut butter contains at least 3 ingredients: peanuts, insect parts, and rodent hairs.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/04/health/insect-rodent-filth-in-food-wellness/index.html

Nuh uh

quote:

In the US, producers adhere to a “Defects Levels Handbook,” which sets out the maximum number of foreign bodies like maggots, insect fragments and mould that can be in food products before they are put on the market.

For example, US producers are allowed to include up to 30 insect fragments in a 100g jar of peanut butter; as well as 11 rodent hairs in a 25g container of paprika; or 3mg of mammalian excreta (typically rat or mouse excrement) per each pound of ginger.

In the EU there are no allowable limits for foreign bodies in food products.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-a8575721.html

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's why the food here in the US is so much better, you get that little extra zest to everything

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Learning that the US uses actual bleach to make bleached flour.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It appears that is 'no allowable limits' as in they don't have EU regulations on that topic lol.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

"no allowable limits", or in other words, "unlimited".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Whooping Crabs posted:

I live below the poverty line, all my food contains insect parts. Or as an ingredient label would claim it, "natural flavorings".

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And who taxes pays for all thaty free protein you get?! wealthy people like me!!11

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

maize flavored "Summer Beer"

from the people who brought you red cabbage and green pea flavored "Christmas Beer"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wow, loose corn beer!

Maybe if it were roasted corn, I'd try that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

FreudianSlippers posted:

maize flavored "Summer Beer"

from the people who brought you red cabbage and green pea flavored "Christmas Beer"

Oh sweet I didn't know they were doing My Summer Car merch