Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal

There he go

Areola Grande posted:

better be good if it's a derned $70 zelder :hayter:

Shouldn't video games cost around $100 if the price rose with inflation and development costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

Farecoal posted:

Shouldn't video games cost around $100 if the price rose with inflation and development costs?

if they kept pace with development costs, waaaaaaaaaaaay more than that

but yeah new games in the 90s cost between 50 and 70, most goods cost ~2x what they did then. games cost 10x more to make than they did but sell for the same price. it's why so many games have subscriptions (or battle passes, which are basically subscriptions) and/or microtransactions

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
some super nintendo carts back in the day cost an incredible amount of money. pretty mind blowing

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I guess I'm spoiled. I've got a hacked 3DS and it's all I've been playing. after doing this for long enough u start thinking all games should be free

:ferrari:

which gives that $70 price an extra sting :douche:

Areola Grande fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 24, 2023

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

sb hermit

I had assumed that video game prices were able to stay the same or decrease due to the sheer size of the gaming audience.

Back then, Eye of the Beholder sold about 150k copies in 1991 and Ultima 6 sold 100k copies. These were games that made enough to have multiple sequels and are classics in their own right.

But as PC gaming and the Internet hit its stride in the middle of the decade, things really took off. Myst sold 500k copies in its first year in 1993, and continued to have even greater sales in successive years until the numbers started to dip in 1998, about six million total copies. Doom, released in 1993, sold 3.5 million physical copies as of 1999.

For a console based comparison, Final Fantasy 6, released in 1994, sold 3.48 million copies by 2003. Ocarina of Time, released in 1998, sold more than 7 million copies.

Contrast that with Breath of the Wild (2017), which sold 29 million copies. And the Let's Go pokemon series (2018), which sold 14.33 million copies. And COD Modern Warfare II, which made $1B in 10 days upon release in 2022. A modestly successful game like Shovel Knight sold 1.5M copies.

It's still a really difficult business and you have to sell a lot and do a lot of juggling to stay alive. The size of the audience has grown substantially, which is one aspect of why focusing on numbers can be a bit limiting. There are a million other changes, such as the prevalence of digital distribution and the proliferation of post-release content and the whole genre of MMOs and "freemium" games, that can affect pricing.

I played BotW the whole way through and didn't feel the need to get the DLC, since it didn't really add to the story. I hope the sequel takes a similar tack.

sb hermit

I need to play torchlight

pretty sure I got it for cheap in a humble bundle somewhere

more falafel please

forums poster

sb hermit posted:

I had assumed that video game prices were able to stay the same or decrease due to the sheer size of the gaming audience.

Back then, Eye of the Beholder sold about 150k copies in 1991 and Ultima 6 sold 100k copies. These were games that made enough to have multiple sequels and are classics in their own right.

But as PC gaming and the Internet hit its stride in the middle of the decade, things really took off. Myst sold 500k copies in its first year in 1993, and continued to have even greater sales in successive years until the numbers started to dip in 1998, about six million total copies. Doom, released in 1993, sold 3.5 million physical copies as of 1999.

For a console based comparison, Final Fantasy 6, released in 1994, sold 3.48 million copies by 2003. Ocarina of Time, released in 1998, sold more than 7 million copies.

Contrast that with Breath of the Wild (2017), which sold 29 million copies. And the Let's Go pokemon series (2018), which sold 14.33 million copies. And COD Modern Warfare II, which made $1B in 10 days upon release in 2022. A modestly successful game like Shovel Knight sold 1.5M copies.

It's still a really difficult business and you have to sell a lot and do a lot of juggling to stay alive. The size of the audience has grown substantially, which is one aspect of why focusing on numbers can be a bit limiting. There are a million other changes, such as the prevalence of digital distribution and the proliferation of post-release content and the whole genre of MMOs and "freemium" games, that can affect pricing.

I played BotW the whole way through and didn't feel the need to get the DLC, since it didn't really add to the story. I hope the sequel takes a similar tack.

yeah, you're absolutely right, this is a lot of it. however the flip side is true too -- selling a million copies of a traditional buy-it-once-and-now-you-own-it game means it's probably a failure. indie games can be the exception, but it's hard to sell a million copies of a game no one's ever heard of, so for every hades there's a thousand (honestly probably more) games that don't go anywhere

games cost so much more to make because they're so much more complicated now. a team size that could have made a good game that sold well in the 90s is gonna be about the size of the team for a single feature in a modern AAA game.

it's honestly buck wild that any game ever gets made

Ass-penny

more falafel please posted:

it's honestly buck wild that any game ever gets made anybody ever gets out of bed

ftfy

sb hermit

yeah, you're absolutely right, this is a lot of it. however the flip side is true too -- selling a million copies of a traditional buy-it-once-and-now-you-own-it game means it's probably a failure. indie games can be the exception, but it's hard to sell a million copies of a game no one's ever heard of, so for every hades there's a thousand (honestly probably more) games that don't go anywhere

games cost so much more to make because they're so much more complicated now. a team size that could have made a good game that sold well in the 90s is gonna be about the size of the team for a single feature in a modern AAA game.

it's honestly buck wild that any game ever gets made

money goes in, money comes out, same as it ever was

I have to admit, dlc is a good way to keep devs busy on something that will make money until the next contract comes around. It's a hard business :smith:

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

sb hermit posted:

I need to play torchlight

pretty sure I got it for cheap in a humble bundle somewhere

i had a lot of fun with that Video Jame, def worth a play

Mummy Napkin
modded my 3ds last weekend and it is the poo poo
Fantasy Life is my new jam

Areola Grande

SUN DAWG posted:

modded my 3ds last weekend and it is the poo poo
Fantasy Life is my new jam

it truly is the poo poo. haven't tried fantasy life yet but I heard it's v chill

Mummy Napkin

Areola Grande posted:

it truly is the poo poo. haven't tried fantasy life yet but I heard it's v chill

it is v chill

sb hermit

Dr. Honked posted:

i had a lot of fun with that Video Jame, def worth a play

:hai:

Areola Grande

thinkin bout playing Doki Doki Literature Club. any goons care to weigh in? I heard it's p disturbing :ohdear:

vanisher

a Zelda is $70, a zelda (non cap) is 1/100 of a Zelda, or $0.70

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

more falafel please

forums poster

vanisher posted:

a Zelda is $70, a zelda (non cap) is 1/100 of a Zelda, or $0.70

in US labelling a zelda is the same as a kilozelda (or kZel) in the rest of the world

Farecoal

There he go

Areola Grande posted:

thinkin bout playing Doki Doki Literature Club. any goons care to weigh in? I heard it's p disturbing :ohdear:

It definitely is but I would still play it. I've only played the original free version

Areola Grande

Farecoal posted:

It definitely is but I would still play it. I've only played the original free version

that's what I'm playing. just started it :froggonk:

Areola Grande

I'm playing a home brew port of it for 3DS. the 3D looks good but the audio is kinda crackly

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, I had no idea it was on the 3DS, but I wouldn't recommend playing that version... or any other but the one on PC. You see, the point of it is being able to actually to go into the game's installation directory and change things to modify in-game outcomes. It legit expects you to cheat like that and I can't imagine that sort of thing working on a game console.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Areola Grande

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, I had no idea it was on the 3DS, but I wouldn't recommend playing that version... or any other but the one on PC. You see, the point of it is being able to actually to go into the game's installation directory and change things to modify in-game outcomes. It legit expects you to cheat like that and I can't imagine that sort of thing working on a game console.

officially it's not available on 3DS but there's a busy home brew scene for those willing to hack/modify their machine

:success:

Prof. Crocodile

apparently the madden games don't get released on the switch for some reason. the switch does have fist of the north star fitness boxing though, so it's kind of a wash.

more falafel please

forums poster

Prof. Crocodile posted:

apparently the madden games don't get released on the switch for some reason. the switch does have fist of the north star fitness boxing though, so it's kind of a wash.

it's really hard to make a game that simultaneously targets the ps5/xsx, the ps4/XB1, and a decent android phone from 2016

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the x bone's connected to the p bone

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
no wait ummmmmm

Quadramind

I'm gonna play Hollow Night tomorrow

Areola Grande

Quadramind posted:

I'm gonna play Hollow Night tomorrow

good timing the sequel is out soon. have fun. hollow Knight is a masterpiece and I think fondly of it often

Goons Are Gifts

Im playing cult of the lamb currently, it's about a lamb having a cult, and of the

Ass-penny

Goatse and Gallant posted:

Im playing cult of the lamb currently, it's about a lamb having a cult, and of the

is that good? the trailer looked p good

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

it's really hard to make a game that simultaneously targets the ps5/xsx, the ps4/XB1, and a decent android phone from 2016

At least the form factor is catching on with gaming laptops, first the steam deck, now Asus has a Rog in that shape coming out. I don't think either is at a good price point yet but the fact that multiple have now is a very good sign for the future! Steamdeck has that nice compatibility layer and running on Linux it's likely to be the better value in the current lineup if you really want something, Asus is running full Windows if you want to run non steam stuff (you can buy windows and boot into it on the steamdeck if you really need / want)

sig by owlhawk911

Goons Are Gifts

rear end-penny posted:

is that good? the trailer looked p good

It's a bit like Binding of Isaac but less wild and complicated in terms of the actual gameplay, which I prefer a lot as Isaac is way too much for me personally, but in exchange they have an entire crafting and city building part of the game away from fighting and dungeon crawling, where you build a growing camp for your flock of cultists, feed them, manage them, cook food and farm stuff for them, while you also give them orders and they do stuff for you, sometimes you also have to make hard decisions like imprisoning someone who wants to defect and is trying to convince others to not believe your lies or even kill them and turn their infidel flesh into a tasty meal or sacrifice them for your lord or make a big and honorful burial for your trusty cultists who followed you into death and so on

It's fun, it's not serious at all and you serve apparently the literal devil or something, but also you are a lamb and your cultists are cute little animals (that turn into red eyed monsters if they defect from you) that you take care of AND you can name both your cult as well as every single cultist, change their entire appearance etc individually

Mine is the Cult of the Butt I have nothing but trusty following assholes serving me and my powerful lord

sb hermit

Goatse and Gallant posted:

Mine is the Cult of the Butt I have nothing but trusty following assholes serving me and my powerful lord

:pusheen:

Ass-penny

I have never heard of this Binding of Isaac either. lol thank you for the name of your cult tho, extremely on brand for you.

Goons Are Gifts

Oh that's also some dungeon crawler thing, like, you shoot things and crawl through things that look like dungeons and you get power ups only for one run and so on. Either way, this is just like that but with a management branch and cults about butts!

Philippe

(she/her)
It also doesn't have Binding of Isaac's edgy 2005-era Newgrounds aesthetic. Do you like guts, crying babies, and poop? Binding of Isaac is for you!

Farecoal

There he go

rear end-penny posted:

I have never heard of this Binding of Isaac either.
:eyepop:

It's been out for more than a decade (the remake since 2014) so it's got a lot of content. Personally I've always liked watching people play it more than doing it myself though

Ass-penny

y'all are seriously underestimating how good I am at not hearing about things until someone sets them right in front of me.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Mummy Napkin
poop is funny to me still but idk kinda nasty in binding of isaac. has flies on the turds and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel

got back into mtg arena. the new set is fun and I'm winning a lot of games