Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bumhead posted:

I wonder how much self awareness there is amongst dev teams when working on games like Redfall.

And I really don't mean from a lovely/lazy devs angle because people can gently caress off with that. I'm sure many of the key decisions in ending up with a game like Redfall are executive lead after pointing at charts and bar graphs. But for the folks sat there actually delivering on the product.. they can't feel good about something like this at any point, surely?

It's such a boring, empty product from concept to execution. I'm struggling to even make it through video reviews even for the novelty of watching bugs and design decisions get slammed. These games are starting to feel like a forced attempt to churn things out for a market that increasingly doesn't really want them.

It's been a while but I remember an article about exactly this and the dev said it was a crushing frustrating experience but all they could do was plug away at their part and try to put out something decent. It's probably not much different from any large software project. It may be a shitshow but having one's name behind a big release counts for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Quick q about Humble Choice since this is my first time using it: Do I have to use the codes of the current month's games before it rolls over into the next month? As in, do I need to unveil the codes and copy them down somewhere before it rolls over?

Also on a very related note, if anyone wants Life Is Strange 2, Aliens Fireteam Elite, or Founder's Fortune, quote this post with your desired game (+ add your email if you don't have PMs).

Artelier fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 2, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Artelier posted:

Quick q about Humble Choice since this is my first time using it: Do I have to use the codes of the current month's games before it rolls over into the next month? As in, do I need to unveil the codes and copy them down somewhere before it rolls over?

Also on a very related note, if anyone wants Life Is Strange 2, Aliens Fireteam Elite, or Founder's Fortune, quote this post with your desired game (+ add your email if you don't have PMs).

Would it be rude to ask for Life is Strange 2? I have PMs, thank you?

Also choice just dumps the games into your humble library iirc, so they're there forever.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Artelier posted:

I'd try the Aliens game if you don't mind.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ah, so no rush to redeem. Thanks for the info and check your PMs!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
So sad hearing and seeing all the reports about Redfall, I was still cautiously looking forward to it. For me, Deathloop was enjoyable and good to great game let down by the ending but seems like Redfall won't even be that.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone have any advice for getting through Chapter 4 of Loop Hero? I can't seem to strike a good balance between having too many monsters on the field & getting killed by attrition, and too few monsters & not getting enough gear to keep up with the loop level (usually ending in suicide-by-boss).

Check out the guides on Steam titled "[Warrior/Rogue/Necromancer] Guide for Infinite Loops", when I got stuck they highlighted some really good strats that helped me beat the game. The Warrior one felt very reliable, if I remember right.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Artelier posted:

Serephina posted:

Would it be rude to ask for Life is Strange 2? I have PMs, thank you?

Also choice just dumps the games into your humble library iirc, so they're there forever.

There has been exceptions to that but it usually says if there is any kind of time limit in the key redemption page. Just check in there and if you don't see any message in there then you are safe.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

TeaJay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMWtCDfYo-I

I have absolutely no idea if Kalevania is going to be good, but it'll be releasing tomorrow and there's not many games made based on Finnish mythology compared to our nordic and slavic neighbours, so I'll be picking it up for sure!

Not Finnish but have a couple hundred hours of Noita under my belt; curious to check this out and see how much I recognize.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

this

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just wish companies would stop releasing the most boring rear end "skill trees" in the world. Why is that so hard.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Sab669 posted:

I just wish companies would stop releasing the most boring rear end "skill trees" in the world. Why is that so hard.
Probably because they're checkboxes to fulfill some banal requirement for publishing. Some intern comes up with some stuff, editors massage it a little and some other intern implements what he can with the tools he has, doing minimal effort.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

2023, the year of the day 1 apology note

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

While that one is obviously fake if you read it I'm sure the real one won't be much better. There's no fixing that game, it feels like it's 12 years old already.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Redfall, more like Redbad

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Symphony of War? Someone described it to me as Fire Emblem With Armies, which sounds like exactly my thing, but the art is so loving terrible I'm really having trouble even wishlisting it. Is it like Siralim, where the godawful looks conceal rad-tastic mechanics? Or should I give it a pass and go play more Fire Emblem instead?

Others have already touched on the weird art and the UI can be annoying also, but other than that I totally loved it. One of like only 3 games last year that pulled me in enough to actually finish it. The story is campy and cheesy but still fun. Definitely recommend.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that copypasted from the EA one? Apart from the bit about id, obviously.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

looks good

https://twitter.com/NormanJaydenWr/status/1653230131735851020

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm getting DMC2 flashbacks.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
At least it's not the worst game Harvey Smith's directed.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

"I can do this forever"

Say what you want about Redfall, but it ain't lying.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Yeah but does she eat people whole and is there feet dlc?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I went to see if there was anything that can fill the itch for Ogre Battle 64 and saw this recommended. I click on the steam page and the video autoplayed and I saw the giant woman, the butt, then laughed and closed the page.

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020
AAA games should start packaging the apology note in the physical copies at this rate.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
APOLOGIES
APOLOGIES
APOLOGIES

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Mothmansplainer posted:

AAA games should start packaging the apology note in the physical copies at this rate.
Maybe a stack of forms or something. Like a madlib.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the ratio of console sales to PC sales for AAA games

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Depends on the game? I would imagine Blizzard games do way better on PC.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
God this Redfall stuff is bumming me out. But I wasn't expecting anything else.

Oh Arkane.... Look how they massacred my boy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Both of the games I’ve played this year that went for 70 USD outside of gamepass have been categorically half-finished garbage (redfall and wild hearts), and I don’t say that kind of thing about games I play almost ever. Not going to try to extrapolate two cases into a pattern but it’s funny that the increased price tag has only lined up with comically low quality in my experience.

I do not know what happened at arkane but my take that they’ve never made a bad game has finally been upended. what happened over there?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Depends on the game? I would imagine Blizzard games do way better on PC.

I just assume it's massively weighted towards console since they don't seem to care about the huge hit to sales and reputation they take from these terrible PC ports.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Mothmansplainer posted:

They should start by apologising for having to download a 80GB day one patch. Completely defeating the purpose of physical copy.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Nowher posted:

They should start by apologising for having to download a 80GB day one patch. Completely defeating the purpose of physical copy.
Sadly, I think Nintendo are the last bastion of not doing this. Typically, they'll have an OS patch included on disk in case the system is way out of date, but I don't remember a day 1 patch for Nintendo titles.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nowher posted:

Is this in reference to Redfall? I saw someone else say this ITT yesterday, I don't think it's accurate -- I also got a "Downloading" screen for another 90 GB when I launched last night, but it was going at like 10x my peak download speeds (400MB on Xbox app instead of 40MB on Steam/Xbox), I suspect it was actually just decrypting the files and the verbiage on the UI wasn't reflecting that. I think steam usually needs to do this too for pre-orders, just that they explain what's happening correctly

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

Both of the games I’ve played this year that went for 70 USD outside of gamepass have been categorically half-finished garbage (redfall and wild hearts), and I don’t say that kind of thing about games I play almost ever. Not going to try to extrapolate two cases into a pattern but it’s funny that the increased price tag has only lined up with comically low quality in my experience.

I do not know what happened at arkane but my take that they’ve never made a bad game has finally been upended. what happened over there?

Looter shooter/SaaS disease. Rocksteady's game will probably get trashed as bad.

But in a way this is good advertisment for Game pass, since the game is bad you don't lose anything you can go check Dishonored or Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

Is this in reference to Redfall? I saw someone else say this ITT yesterday, I don't think it's accurate -- I also got a "Downloading" screen for another 90 GB when I launched last night, but it was going at like 10x my peak download speeds (400MB on Xbox app instead of 40MB on Steam), I suspect it was actually just decrypting the files and the verbiage on the UI wasn't reflecting that.

Yeah this was definitely it and I didn't realize it until you made a post about it, I have fast internet but it finished in a couple minutes so it was definitely going faster than a download would have so it must have been decrypting.